Start by marking “The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)

The Evil Queen

(The Forest of Good and Evil #1)

Welcome to the Forest of Good and Evil. A dream come true, and a living nightmare.

Evil isn’t born, it’s made. One thought and action at a time. Take a good look at what you’ve made.

Far, far away, in the realm of Enchantia, creatures of legend still exist, magic is the norm and fairy tales are real. Except, fairy tales aren’t based on myths and legends of the past—they are
Expected publication: June 25th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Queen, please sign up.
MK ( Makayla) Yes !! That's the first thing I thought of . I just started watching that last week .

Miranda Reads
May 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Me when Showalter announcing there's ANOTHER book:

It's 500+ pages :

Remembering all the other Showalter books I've read:
description

Not giving a f*ck cause I'm gonna read it anyway:
Angelica
Mar 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
this is either going to be the best thing ever. or it's gonna totally suck. there is no in between that for this... my fingers are crossed that it's the best thing ever

Follow Me Here Too: My Blog || Twitter || Bloglovin' || Instagram || Tumblr
◊♦ Naomi
Jun 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Who’s excited for this?! I AM!!!!!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
2/24/19
Synopsis and cover are both great, can't wait to see how this unfolds
---
So many villain centered retellings lately, but oh so very promising still
Gigi H
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story had an excellent start and I liked that it was told in first person.
Unfortunately, my expectations were a little too high and ended in a DNF.

What worked:

- I liked that we dive right into the story from the get-go. A lot happens, which is also its ultimate downfall for me.

What didn't work:

-The timelines move back and forth at warp speed making it confusing. It was like listening to someone with a million thoughts speaking a mile a minute. You had to keep up to follow.

- Because there's
Sophia Triad
May 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
Super excited for this one 😊
Bara
Nov 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Will you accept your destiny of Evil Queen, Raven Everly? XD
Since I got into Ever Afte High I have read what feels like a shit ton of fairy tale retellings and another shit ton awaits me still. And yet the second I find another book with almost the same premise I immediately add it onto my tbr list. I'm helpless. LOL

I understand that with a topic like this you can't achieve pristine untainted originality but the blurb alone contains several references to other works with similar concepts. Enchan
Kilikina
Me going into hibernation until I get my hands on this
description

This comes out ON my birthday y'all. That means it can't be bad, right?!
asbah
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: series-tbr
a fairytale-princess turning evil?? now that is something i wanna read.
Jackie
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Have you ever been around middle schoolers and hear how they talk and just think to yourself, my god I’m old? That’s how I felt for 75% of this book.

“The Evil Queen” takes us through the twists and turns of the classic fairy tale as the board is set but the pieces are yet to be played as Everly tries to understand her role in the prophecy that describes her path in the world of magic and with each step she takes she finds herself asking the question is evil born or made?

The dialogue in this is
Danielle
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Evil Queen could have been the next big thing to hit fairy tale retellings. It is dark and awful, with an MC that you can get behind, and it really tugs on your heartstrings, yet it is still so full of hope and innocence.

And yet... To me, The Evil Queen read like a rubbish first draft, not the polished gem, ready to be finalised and sent out to print that it should be by the time ARCs come out. There were OH SO MANY typos, the writing was clumsy at best (awful at worst), with stilted dialogu
Lauren
Gena Showalter is one of my favourite authors. I've read most of her books and have yet to read one I wouldn't at the very least classify as enjoyable. That includes The Evil Queen. This novel is a clever and deep take on the fairy tale of Snow White. In adapting the classic tale Showalter highlights just what it means to be good and what it means to be evil. This book is filled with philosophical conundrums and it keeps the reader on their toes. You never know from one moment to the next who to ...more
Shelby (Graced with Books)
I received this NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!
The premise of this book is so interesting! That these characters are prophesied to play certain roles in what we know as fairytale stories. The main character, Everly, believes she is the evil queen but so do the other girls in this novel. I loved uncovering the mystery of who is who in this book. What I didn't really love was the dialogue, it just made me cringe a lot. Overall I really enjoyed the plot!
Brittany Kantack
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a fantastic quick read. The dialogue was kind of cringy and annoying but the intended audience is YA so I think everyone needs to keep that in mind. The storyline was great, and it was an amazing retelling. Definitely recommend!
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Review to come June 17th
Janet
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley for providing me an e-ARC!

Have mixed feelings about the book. I enjoyed it but there were parts of it that felt too young for an older YA book.

I enjoyed the characters, wasn't much a fan of Everly, seemed immature and made me cringe often.

It was a decent book but would not recommend it to others.
Gillian
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have some mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed it enough but there were parts of it that felt so juvenile. Which is strange considering the book is older YA.

The premise was great and I spent the entire book trying to figure out who played what role. That part was really well done. I enjoyed the characters and each individual arc.

Where I was lost was the narration of the book itself. Everly felt very immature to me. Her personality
Olivia Farr
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yaficti...

If you love a snarky heroine, surprise twists and turns, and a fairytale-themed plot, THE EVIL QUEEN is designed to be your new favorite read. This book follows Everly in the first person as she uncovers her history and perseveres to protect the people she loves. From the beginning, we know that girls were born after their mothers ate from a forbidden, magical apple tree, and that they will play a role in bringing a fairytale to li
WS_BOOKCLUB
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book, in exchange for my honest opinion. It will be available to purchase on June 25th.

This is going to be one of those blog posts that is a mixed bag. The premise was original, in that it’s Snow White’s nemesis that’s a bit reluctant to take up her expected role as as the villain. I also haven’t read many fairy tale adaptations that take place in both “the real world” (I write that in quotes because the way the real world was written felt off to
Kendra Burns
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Gena Showalter does it again. In The Evil Queen she crafts a new version of Snow White where everyone can be any of the characters in the fairy tale; it's all a matter of what you choose to do with your life and the situations that transpire around you. Everly was everything that I hoped for when it came to an Evil Queen and a Snow White. While she fits the Evil Queen bill better the situations that transpire around her make for a thrilling ride as she transitions from being a girl obsessed with ...more
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by Netgalley. This book is everything!!! I was hooked from the beginning. I don’t want to give any spoilers but this is so far my favorite book of the year.

Six girls, one prophecy and no one really knows which role they fit. Everly believes she is the Evil Queen and so does everyone else but does standing up for your family and defending yourself really make you evil? Maybe she’s really Snow White.

Everyone loves Princess Farrah who believes she is Snow White but despite all her good
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
I received a copy of The Evil Queen from Harlequin TEEN (US Canada) through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to like this one more than I actually did.

The righting is great and a lot of it is really evocative but the character of Every came off as about 12 or so. Her reactions didn't strike me as realistic for a high schooler at all.

The dialogue is a bit cheesy at points but I'm not gonna complain to much because what's a fairy tale without some cheese?

I did enjoy the story bu
Sabrina
May 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The more retellings I get more happy I will be. 🥀
Stephanie B
Thank you to the publisher and author for this ARC through NetGalley.

I love all of Gena Showalter's books. She is one of my all time favorite authors. With that being said I really enjoyed this book. It felt more YA than her other fantasy books, but it was still a good read. I'm interested to see if there will be any more in this series.
Alexis Stankewitz
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting take on Snow White retelling via a modern Evil Queen POV. While I found the first half of the book interesting by the middle I felt it drag. Still an decent retelling.
Merrisa
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I had such high hopes for this book. The description contained so many elements that I absolutely love: a magical realm, Princesses raised in our normal world, fairy tales, true love, etc. Unfortunately this one fell a little short for me. The main character, Everly just wasn't particularly likable for me. I wanted to like her. There were times that I absolutely was rooting for her, but overall I just wasn't that invested in her.
Britt
DNF at 25%. Didn't like the tone. Will still use for RA for youngish teens (13-15) who like Rachel Hawkins' books and fairy-tale retellings.

Thanks to Netgalley and Inkyard Press for the advance copy, which I received in exchange for an unbiased review. The Evil Queen will be released on 25 June, but you can pre-order your copy today.
Sally Maxwell
I wanted to like this, but just couldn’t.
I found the beginning of the somewhat childish, and the rest of the book dull.
Sally Maxwell
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, but just couldn’t.
I found the beginning of the somewhat childish, and the rest of the book dull.
Sharon
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Story: (May contain very minor spoilers)
Everly is an unusual girl. She goes to high school like every other teen her age, but she is different. She does not look the same as those around her, does not act the same as her peers, and people instinctively fear her. Her ex-boyfriend never wanted anyone to know he was dating her. He was ashamed of her and the fact that he was attracted to her. Her sister on the other hand is considered lovely. She has an affection for animals, who are naturally d
« previous 1 3 next »
Gena Showalter Fans: The Evil Queen (The Forest #1) 1 5 Jun 10, 2019 09:28PM

• The Cecilian Swan (Silent Swans #1)
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Trouble With Vampires (Argeneau #29)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Untitled
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Untitled Catalina Book (Hidden Legacy #5)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
  • Munro (Immortals After Dark, #19)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Cipher (Demonica Underworld, #8; Demonica, #19)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl