Start by marking “Ghostlight (The Reflected City #1)” as Want to Read:
Ghostlight (The Reflected City #1)

Ghostlight

(The Reflected City #1)

Trevelyan Shield would rather fight demons and exorcise haunts than deal with debutantes, alive or dead. But when he encounters the charming but ghostly Arabella Trent, his duty is clear: send the young woman into the afterlife. Otherwise, she risks attracting the denizens of the Shadow Lands, who hunger for mortal souls.

Arabella doesn’t remember the runaway carriage
Published May 29th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ghostlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghostlight

Start your review of Ghostlight (The Reflected City #1)
Suzannah
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh wow, this was terrific! The story starts out as a fairly light Heyer-flavoured regency gaslamp fantasy but then it just keeps getting darker and twistier and by the second half I seriously couldn't put the book down. The angsty hero with untold failures in his past has an otherdimensional shadow sword named Sorrow, people. Also the irritatingly cheerful debutante heroine has SECRETS that may or may not explain why she's such a crusader for orphans.

The atmosphere is wonderfully chilly and
J.M. Stengl
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-story, fantasy
Well, that story was a lot of fun! Think regency romance overlaid with a ghostly otherworld of ghouls, wraiths, barghests, and frightening dead things, which are constantly trying to break through and corrupt "reality."
Our heroine, a naive debutante who has been separated from her comatose body without realizing it or having any idea why, encounters a skilled phasmatist who helps solve her mystery, return to her body, and save the city from a miasma incursion . . .
And it is a fun little read!
J C Steel
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trey's job is to keep Lumen safe from marauding spirits. After the Great Incursion, that job is something that cannot be taken lightly. So when he comes across the spirit of a young lady on his way home from a night out, his duty is apparently quite clear; send her on. Somehow, it doesn’t quite happen as he expects, and instead, Trey and Arabella find themselves in the position of having to work together to defend Lumen from a much greater threat - and form an unlikely alliance in so doing.

Laurie Lucking
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Witty and spooky and just such a fun read! Here are my short video reviews:

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLaurie...
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B4S6KXKgpC2/
Amber
I adore both regency romance and fantasy, especially the tiny genre of gaslamp fantasy, so this book is very much my cup of tea. The magical worldbuilding is intriguing and feels fully fleshed out and integrated with the regency-style society, and I look forward to seeing it explained further in future books. The exception is the religious magic the heroine calls on for help, which gets a tad hand-wavey in places, but the book is atmospheric enough to pull it off for the most part. The main ...more
Gordon
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this started off feeling like Georgette Heyer fan-fiction fantasy mashup, and if I didn't embarassingly enjoy Heyer, Urban Fantasy and Indie fiction for escape (*ahem*) I probably wouldn't have bothered. (Can you even see a ghost blush in the dark, or that she has dimples?) Yet the book grew on me and by the end I was thoroughly enjoying myself. The romance and character are really minor threads, with supernatural thriller being the main line. Plus side: the pace was good and this book's "act ...more
C.O. Bonham
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ghostlight takes place in an alternate time, similar to England during it's regency period but Vealand not England and Lumin not London. Magic is real and spirits walk among the living.

I loved the atmosphere of this novel, spooky and gothic but still full of Hope. I'd classify it as horror light.

I loved the character of Trey. Strong , smart and witty. He has been doing his job of protecting the living from the dead for too long. And you can tell it's a conflict for him when he meets a spirit he
Jenelle
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't think of any words to describe this better than "charmingly chilling." This is a ghost story, with plenty of intrigue and spooky flare, and a villain who sticks close to the shadows and is just present enough to add an "edge of your seat" factor. This is the kind of story that will give you a delightful little shiver down your spine as you read it, but also won't keep you up at night with the covers clutched around your throat debating whether or not it's safe to cross the room in the ...more
Lisa
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and well written

I love Rabia Gale. Her worlds are unique and interesting and her characters are complex and flawed, like most of us. :) This book was up to par with the rest of her writing. Loved it and am impatiently waiting for the next one. I recommend all of her books. Yes, I've read them all. She is an excellent writer. All her books are unique, complex and multi-layered. She's an indie writer so she doesn't have the big machine behind her, but she's one of the best out there.
Katy
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really fun frolic through a Victorian-age world filled with spirits, demons, and the Shadow Lands. I love when authors work bits of magic into history, and while this was, I believe, firmly in a "different land" and not actually England near the Regency era, it felt enough like it for me to still call it alternative history. I had a great time reading about Trey and Arabella and their exploits, and it sets up a second book quite nicely.
Kim Power
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging from the first word.

What a wonderful, original world. A mashup of Regency and paranormal muystery. This story comes to a concu,Simon, but it sets the scene for the sequel. I really enjoyed Trey and Arabella, and I look forward to meeting them again. Well written and edited, I have a new favourite author.
Juneta Key
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The regency atmosphere, the unusual protagonist that was well written and the light romance that let a fascinating plot play out. I love a good story involving ghosts that is not horror. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader copy of this book.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It starts out as light as the gas lamps this genre is named after and slowly twists darker all the while our heroes are saving themselves and ultimately their world. I loved this book and can’t wait to see what the second book brings.
Brooke
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars
William Vegvari
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've not read a gaslight fantasy story previously and this one kind of blew my mind. Wonderful characters and story line that keeps you going.
Daryl Ball
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If the blurb for the book caught your attention enough that you're considering reading this book - absolutely read it. It's magnificent in numerous ways
Laurin
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this read!
Jemma
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable and quirky book.

There was a very strong supernatural element in case you hadn't guessed for the title. It's not bad or anything though.
Marlene
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, easy read. Interesting mix of regency, paranormal, and Gaslamp genres. Not sure what to expect when I started, it was a fun adventure. Was never quite sure how it would end which was nice.
Lisa B
Katy
Oct 14, 2019
Mb Sheppard
Aug 24, 2019

• Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice (Ice and Fate, #1)
  • Prince of Stars, Son of Fate
  • Sand and Storm
  • Horseman (Crockett and Crane #1)
  • Between Shifts (The City Between #2)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • Between Floors (The City Between #3)
  • Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
  • Deadwood (Crockett and Crane, #2)
  • All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between #6.5)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Heart of the Curiosity
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Dropbears (The City Between #5.5)
  • Mistaken Divinity: A Beaumont and Beasley Story
  • Visions of Fate (The Venatrix Chronicles, #2)
  • Strayborn (Draev Guardians, #1)
  • Blood Traitor
  • Betrayal (Recompense, 2)
I break fairy tales and fuse fantasy and science fiction. I love to write about flawed heroes who never give up, transformation and redemption, and things from outer space. In my spare time, I read, doodle, eat chocolate, avoid housework, and homeschool my three children.

A native of Pakistan, I grew up in hot, humid Karachi. I then spent almost a decade in Northern New England where I learned to

The Reflected City (2 books)
  • Ghoulfire (The Reflected City Book 2)
“By the saints, she may be a ghost, but she was still a gentlewoman! How dare the unmannerly boor keep her waiting!” 1 likes