Start by marking “Nocturnal” as Want to Read:
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

Nocturnal is a collection of words and imagery inspired by darkened skies and sleepless nights. it is a journey of healing and self-discovery whether love stays or leaves. it is dreaming with your eyes wide open while the rest of the world is hiding.

and when they ask me,
are you afraid of the dark?
i will remind them that
there's nothing to fear
when the night is a
Published May 25th 2018 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Nocturnal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nocturnal

Amalia Gavea
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
‘’I’m still trying to find the parts of me
I left hidden between pages of a story
I never wanted to forget,
But you were always in the last place I looked.’’

This doesn’t seem original to me…

Darkness. Night has the unique ability to make us discover thoughts we never knew we’ve nurtured all along. Loneliness, loss, love, change. These are themes that are common in Poetry. And Poetry is such a difficult form for anyone to judge. I almost feel as if I am actually shuttering, even violating the very
Steph [They/Them] (Wickedjr Reads)
Me fighting with Hoopla for nearly an entire day and having to read this (incredibly slowly because of how long it would take to load) on the PC might have impacted my enjoyment of it. However, I still enjoyed it. Very beautiful poetry and pictures. I'm going to have to buy a physical copy. :)
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
i've always been told that
i was born chasing sunsets, but
sometimes i wonder if i'm really
just trying to find a way
to be in two places at once.

Nocturnal is an interesting collection; it doesn't ever settle on just one main theme, but seems to flit between love and loss, insecurities and self-love, all tossed with a healthy focus on nature and all the healing it can offer us.

my heart tends to live
and the mo
Marie Luftikus
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I know poetry is subjective and intuitive, but this is how I feel about "Nocturnal": It brought me joy, because some poems mangaged it to express how I feel and I was stunned and other poems where exactly the words I needed to hear. And also, at some points I had to stop and admire the beauty of the style and I was wishing I had written it :)
I will read it again tomorrow and the day after that to keep this work of art in mind.
Julia Sapphire
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this collection by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This collection is divided into four parts, dusk, northern lights, howl, and lucid dreams.
A significant theme within this is nature and how we as humans perceive the world. Also how we can find inspiration all around us.

The formatting of this is BEAUTIFUL. From the contrast of pages to the fonts to the illustrations. It is absolutely stunning.

It also talks about darkness, in the metaphorical sense but al
Sarah Marie

wanted to forget,
but you were always
in the last place
i looked.”

Nocturnal is a small collection of poems. There are short poems and long poems. There’s art and a collection of emotion and heart. It’s good to see such heart being placed into each page of this collection. I personally wasn’t enamored with this collection. I liked it. This is a simple and heartfelt collection, but it didn’t

Martina Oliva || Sapore d'inchiostro
A beautiful collection of poems that has pleasantly kept me company on these winter nights - very intimate, unique and original poems that ranging from love to solitude, from family relationships to nature. The graphic component is also very beautiful! The illustrations are the perfect frame for poetry so true and sincere.

I recommend this collection to all the introverted souls that will find a friend in Wilder and a sincere comfort in her words.
Bree Hill
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been reading some meh okay poetry lately it feels then BAM! I read this one by Wilder and oh my goodness. All that crap has been worth it because it somehow lead me to Nocturnal.

‘You were rough around the edges, and I was too many words written on folded paper, hidden under photographs.’

I loved this. Highly recommend.
Krissy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoyed the layout and artwork in this poetry collection. The writing was nice and it was an easy, relaxing read.
Jessica C Writes
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
*I was given an e-ARC on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This collection was good. I enjoyed many of the poems, but not enough to love this collection. The ones I found myself loving were the longer poems that had more substance. The shorter ones just felt too superficial. I needed more from them- more meaning, a deeper feeling. This was definitely a solid collection, I just think some of the poems need to be fleshed out more to create a greater connection for the reader. Not bad, tho
Kira
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Welp, started this year off with a dud. The poetry collection has such high reviews and, upon flipping through, such gorgeous illustrations. The problem with this collection is that these poems don’t do anything that hasn’t been done a thousand and one times. The poetry was just that same old, boring tumblr style that everyone seems to think they can write.
Dana Cristiana
Another perfect poetry book!

I would love to thank Wilder, Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for this gorgeous book in exchange for an honest review.

This book has quality poems and amazing pictures! If you loved "milk & honey" by Rupi Kaur, I highly recommend this book!

there is something graceful
about the way time passes by -
how it gives itself away,
never knowing whose hands
will stop to hold it before
it leaves.

They told me to run like
The Wind but I was the one creating it.

and if t
Konstantin
Woah.

On one hand this is so visually striking, absorbing and distinctive that I feel guilty for giving anything less than a glowing five for the artwork and graphic design. On the other hand, however, these two stars feel generous for a bunch of random, nonsensical, horribly overdone sappy Tumblr lines.

So, there it is, a little compromise. Definitely not worth paying the full price for, unless you like to surround yourself with lots of pretty items, in which case I'd urge you to get yourself a
stefiereads
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I actually love this book!
The illustrations and the poetry really compliment each other and make a wonderful experience to read it.
I read this book at night, with a slow instrument in the background, and I felt the world is so quiet and the timing was just perfect to read it.

I usually I have a little problem poetry, in a sense of me can feel the connection with the poem itself or not. And even though it happened with few poems, I still love this book so much. Wilder’s writing is so great.
Etienne
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5/5. Good enough poetry book. I did find the poem to be a bit repetitive, the same themes sure are all over the place. The writing style is sure kind of light/easy poetry as far as I'm concern, which isn't necessarily a bad thing and the style of poetry also feel kind of young. I didn't check it up (lazy me), but the author s probably young enough and even if it,s a bit dark, I think it would please young reader, teenagers, more then it did to me. A good way to introduces teenagers to poetry, ...more
katyjanereads
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
1. I LOVED THE DRAWINGS/ART IN THIS SO MUCH!!!
2. I loved the Lucid Dreams part where the opposite pages had a saying.
3. Poems I loved and why
“I have wept
for beautiful things,
raising flowers with my rain.”
-I love that the tears are the thing that brought beauty.

“This is how i pour myself
into all of the spaces
i never knew i could fit,
like a sun that finds
the smallest corners through
fingerprinted glass.
it isn’t always graceful,
but becoming never is.”
-I just love the idea that good things can sti
Kayla Anne
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poet-friends
I couldn't be more impressed with this book. Although small in size, every page packs a heartfelt punch that will have you longing for a quiet place to read it over and over again. The graphics within these pages and the way they so elegantly connect with the words and with each other demonstrate just how well thought out this book is. I adore Nocturnal and fully plan on purchasing it for several people in my life who I feel would benefit from this quality of poetic writing and storytelling.
Erika
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
these reflections keep telling me
to hate all of the things
i am meant to love.

i blink my eyes
and start over again.

loving (myself) isn't easy,
but it always find its way back.

I loved this so much! I loved a lot of these poems compared to when i read Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. To me, these poems were soft and gentle compared to Milk and Honey where it was more forward and aggressively, not in a bad way but more inspirational wise, honest to the point.

The poems had many topics but were mostly ab
Jordon Greene
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first read Wilder’s poetry on Instagram, and fell in love with it, and it even inspired some of my own writing. But finally getting to read this entire collection was wonderful, especially during this phase of my life. So many of the poems spoke to me, and moved me. It’s such a beautiful collection.
Storribook
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*4.5 stars*
As an insomniac/night owl in general, I LOVE the nocturnal theme of this book. I’ve never read poetry as unique as this before.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

This was absolutely beautiful. I got about 5% in and bought myself a paperback because it is just gorgeous and I need the words on hand at all time. I'm thinking one of these will become a tattoo. You definitely want to read this poetry collection (especially since it's on Kindle Unlimited)!
Sraah
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
maybe i read this at the wrong time. earlier last year i read a lot of poetry that helped me get through a lot of hard emotions, and this seemed in the same vein but i didn't need it's aide any longer, but know it would have gotten me through if i had. sometimes the love we thought we wanted is what we needed and better is ahead, someone who helps us be more ourselves than we ever knew possible, that doesn't try to change us, only loves us as we are.
Charity Fester
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly beautiful.

These words have been etched on my heart. I cannot explain how heartbreakingly wonderful this book is. Easy read, but cuts you in your scars.
Richard
This book of poetry is a steady and familiar voice as you share her journey through these pages.
Inspiration from the natural world and emotions as forceful and focused as tides, storms, light and loss. All beautifully supplemented and enhanced by wistful and ethereal artwork in black and white illustrations.
A collection you could not tire of reading or dipping into, about misplaced love, broken dreams and heartache while sensing a struggle to be loved, held and reaching for something more.
I like
Kari
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, poetry, favorites
This poetry collection is charming and it understands me. This a book that must be read as a physical copy, the Kindle Edition does not do justice to its beauty. Every word, every page, every passage, and every poem was beautiful.
Devyn DeGraw
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Feeling so inspired by this beautiful collection of poems. The art is equally just as exquisite. My heart is happy after reading this.
Steffy
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I keep reading modern poetry because they simply don't do it for me. It's like reading my own diary entries when I was sixteen. Not poetic, just thoughts spread pinto sections in order to fill the pages. There are so many beautiful words in the English language, please, make use of them. While the worded phrases didn't really touch me, the visuals and artworks were absolutely lovely!
Chloe (QuothTheBookLover)
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
There was one poem in particular which really spoke to me and then I discovered it was called Chloe and it felt like fate. Books like this are great to read when you need to relax and I find they always help me calm down and feel less anxious about my mental health problems and life in general
Cynthia Cashman
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Wilder is an outstanding poet, illustrator and designer. Total artistic genius. His words are deeply touching, tender and loving. I am in love with this short book, a definite re-read. The art work takes my breath away! Ahhhh!
booktalkwithmeag
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5✨

Silence isn’t lonely 💞
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Memories Unwound
  • Sad Birds Still Sing
  • Magie aus ewigem Sand (Heliopolis #1)
  • The Buddha's Return
  • Shifting Bone
  • The Divine Message of the DNA
  • Capturing the Light: The Birth of Photography, a True Story of Genius and Rivalry
  • The Wisdom of the Knowing Ones: Gnosticism, the Key to Esoteric Christianity
  • Die Götter von Asgard
  • Indistinguishable from Magic
  • Selected Poems
  • The Diary of Dajjal
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (The Official Novelization)
  • The Antigone Poems