Start by marking “The Infinity Courts (The Infinity Courts, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Infinity Courts (The Infinity Courts, #1)

The Infinity Courts

(The Infinity Courts #1)

Eighteen-year-old Nami Miyamoto is certain her life is just beginning. She has a great family, just graduated high school, and is on her way to a party where her entire class is waiting for her—including, most importantly, the boy she’s been in love with for years.

The only problem? She’s murdered before she gets there.

When Nami wakes up, she learns she’s in a place called
482 pages
Published April 6th 2021 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Infinity Courts, please sign up.
Robin Yea a little bit, it isn't the main focus though.…moreYea a little bit, it isn't the main focus though.(less)
Robin Haven't finished this yet but yea, a 16 year old can read this. It's not even close to 18+. People younger than 16 can read it too.…moreHaven't finished this yet but yea, a 16 year old can read this. It's not even close to 18+. People younger than 16 can read it too.(less)

Start your review of The Infinity Courts (The Infinity Courts, #1)
jessica
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i must have done something good in another life because i have no idea how else i lucked out to get an ARC of this. it wasnt even on my 2021 release radar, but i am absolutely blown away.

this gave me everything i have been craving recently - a band of rebels, a compelling enemy, a unique world, root-worthy characters, engaging writing, and a high-stakes plot. there was actually a scene where my jaw DROPPED. its one of the most shocking moments i have read in a book in a long time.

honestly, if
katie
4/04/21: posting my review early so i can hype this book up and also not forgot to put this up before the release date !!

If you know me, I rarely read sci-fi's. They just don't work with me very well. But surprisingly, I've already read two satisfyingly amazing sci-fi's this year, and The Infinity Courts is one of them! Reading TIC was like reading pure brilliance, to say the least. It finished me in a way a book has never done before.*

*I've already read the ending several times over, and I stil
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
[ 4/6/21 update ] : HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY!!! 💕 please read so we can wallow about that ending together

my mind is completely REELING right now…

AHHHHH. I’m still trying to process what I just went through. There was really one page that I feel like I read 20 times and I-- the way this whole book ended had me questioning everything. It's not perfect but this was the good time I needed.

"Infinity was never built for you. It was built for dreamers."

ATTENTION! if you're interested in some afterlife,
Akemi Dawn Bowman
Mar 16, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Once upon a time, I wondered what it would look like if I combined my love of robots and superpowers with my love of Jane Austen and period dramas.

And then I wrote this book.

It's the sci-fi/fantasy mash-up of my heart, and I can't wait to share more with you all soooooon.
Lucie V.
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley (thank you Simon & Schuster Canada). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I was really (pleasantly) surprised by this book. There is a feisty band of rebels, a compelling and complex enemy, a unique world-building, and a high-stakes plot. The writing is engaging, and I got hooked up from the very first chapter. The concept is so interesting! It’s like imagining that we die, only to realize that Siri has taken over the afterlife and is turning humans
Ashley Nuckles
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
I’m debating if this is more of a 3.5 or 4 star read for me, so I’ll just go with 4 since GR still doesn’t do half stars lol

Things I liked: Interesting concept and world, fast-paced, our MC Nami struggles a lot with the idea of what it means to be human and whether the “Residents” who took over Infinity deserve the right to live as well (even if they’re not TRULY human), plot twist that I really didn’t see coming!

Things I liked not so much: too many “what is the meaning of life/living” or quote
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I see Akemi's name on a book and I literally do not even care what the book is about. It could be about basically ANYTHING and I would read it and love it because Akemi is brilliant and I adore her. ♥ That said... this sounds AWESOME. ...more
Emma☀️
So I’ve thought long and hard about the rating and I’m giving it a solid 3.5 stars rounded up. I loved the premise and the philosophical discussions that came out of this. Unfortunately, the pacing and the characterization were an issue for me.

Let’s start with the world-building - I liked it! The whole concept of dying and waking up in a place ruled by an AI was so fascinating. It was complex and easy to follow. I was intrigued at how the human consciousness moved from place to place an
bella
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Content + Trigger Warnings: death, murder, gun violence, references to torture, underage drinking (mention), gore, injuries/wounds, mind manipulation/control, nightmares (trauma related), forced servitude, threat

Growing up, I devoured just about any sci-fi/fantasy books I could get my hands on. However, being a multiracial person, it was difficult to find any books in the genre with characters who looked like me or that I felt represented by. Naturally, my interest was instantly piqued
hillary ☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆
Is there something better than drowning into amazing 2021 releases when 2020 has not even started yet?

Pitched as Warcross meets Black Mirror, the book follows a Japanese American teen who finds herself in Infinity, a world in which the human consciousness goes after death, where she battles an AI entity posing as a queen that's hacked its way into the afterlife with the plan to take over and control everything.

♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Apr 27, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
oh wow okay this has a subconscious realm PLUS an AI character with the high possibility of being complicated??? YES PLEASE

description

HEY HEY LOOK AT THAT LOVELY COVER
Lady Amanda
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Aaaaaah, I loved this!!! Read my full review here at Bookish Brews, and check out a preview down below!

PLUS, if you head to Bookish Brews, there's a giveaway link for a chance to win a copy for yourself! 😉

Review Preview:
The Infinity Courts reminded me exactly why I love to read YA. I loved every bit of this book, and it had my undivided attention from the very start until the very end. The feeling of satisfaction after I finished reading this one was pure book bliss!

I received a free copy for pa
ikram
Jun 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Akemi Dawn Bowman’s debut SFF book featuring:

- Beautiful cover. I seriously can’t stop looking at it... this is so beautiful omg
- Exploring big questions about technology, grief, love, and humanity? SIGN ME UP!
- I heard it’s Westworld meets Warcross (aka my two favorite things!!)

IM SO EXCITED!
h o l l i s
First of all, you're going to want to scroll right by this review because it probably won't be the best one to read if you want an objective take on the story. Why? Because this book put me into a week long slump (which doesn't sound like a lot but it felt like three years). So this story is on my shitlist.

This was my first read by Bowman and despite my strugglebus experience with reading it, I would try her again. I think this was definitely a story-specific problem, not necessarily a writing p
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
This cover! The synopsis! Badass Heroine! I want this now!
Trisha
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Monsters have many faces.”

What an emotional roller coaster of an adventure! Nami was a great MC, both full of heart and fear but also compassion and spark. I loved the questions about humanity and monsters and what it means to be a hero. I wasn't fully invested in the triangle but I did love the twist. I will be furiously searching for book 2 as soon as it's out!

Thank you to both the publisher and author who provided an e-ARC via Netgalley.
delaney
**Thank you RivetedLit and Simon & Schuster for hosting a giveaway for the ARC! :)

Do you ever just laugh at an ending? Not because it's good. It's just bad, those plot twists that make you want to smack your head into a wall, and your reaction is to laugh? Just me?

The Infinity Courts has a great concept and great world. If I were to describe it: Alexa hacked the afterlife and is now its ruler. Also, I got serious Angel Beats (an anime) vibes as the humans are rebelling their fate.

A lot of the
ellie
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-release
i will read anything with AI in it. they make for fascinating characters and discussions on human nature and what it means and its!! so!! cool!!!
Celia McMahon
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS SOUNDS EPIC!
ahaana ☽
i loved this so much 😭 literally heart full head empty at this point

read my full review here!
Christina
Jan 30, 2021 rated it liked it
3 stars. The world building and the concept are fantastic. The last fifty pages or so had me completely on the edge of my seat. The book struggled with pacing, however, and I couldn't connect with any of the characters.

Nami is 18 and just embarking on what clearly looks like a promising adult life when she is suddenly murdered on her way to a party. She wakes up in an afterlife called Infinity (think the scientific concept of San Junipero) that is ruled by an AI that is the equivalent of Siri/A
Alex
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 10-and-11
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of The Infinity Courts in exchange for an honest review.

The themes! Oh my god the themes! I love what Akemi Dawn Bowman explores in the incredibly morally grey world she creates here, but unfortunately it didn't quite make up for a lot of the pacing issues here. The Infinity Courts, like the AI that the book centers around, it a beautiful idea in theory that ends up really going off the rails in practice. This book both should have been a lot longer
Ruei (Ruei's Reading Corner)
Full Review & Blog Tour: https://rueisreadingcorner.blogspot.c...

Nami is murdered before she reaches her high school prom party. When she wakes up again, she realizes she's in Infinity, a place where humans go after death.

There Ophelia, a virtual assistant from the human world, has taken over as queen, and the humans are forced to be her servants. Narrowly escaping captivity, Nami discovers that those captured can no longer think on their own.

Because of her extraordinary powers, Nami is appoint
Charvi
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I- I'm deceased.

That ending - my brain needs time to process this genius writing. Hopefully I'll be sane enough to write a review soon.

5/04/2021

I'm still not okay but here's an attempt at a review

THIS BOOK IS A MASTERPIECE!
Things to love:
- mind-blowing worldbuilding which isn't an info dump
- NAMI'S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!!
- Moral ambiguity and questioning what is good and bad and whether we can even make a distinction
- Characters to simp for!!!
- Enemies to lovers romance <3
- The hero not wantin
michelle (magical reads)
read on my blog

rep: ownvoices biracial (Japanese, white) protagonist
cw: torture, death

**I received an ARC from the publisher through Netgalley. These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

The thing about creating monsters is that one day you’ll have to kill them.

I’ve read and enjoyed Akemi Dawn Bowman’s previous books and was excited to read her next one. These were all contemporary, however, so I was intrigued by the announcement of her first science
Nenia Campbell
HI THIS SOUNDS AMAZING THANKS
Franzi ☾
Rating: 3.5 stars.

This was such an interesting read.
Sci-Fi isn't usually my genre, but I was very intrigued by this book from the very start. The cover is beautiful and the summary sounds super unique and different, and I just had to read this. However, I feel like my expectations weren't met completely.
The worldbuilding was really complex and unique and I really liked the general concept and idea, but the execution wasn't always the best. I struggled with visualizing certain things and some
Lisa
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, arc
This book is so hard to rate because while I struggled with the pacing throughout, I deeply enjoyed the smart and nuanced dialogue about “enemies” and war and making peace with the opposition.

I also loved the world of Infinity, it was rich and complex and I loved leaving more details about it.

So much action happened in the last few chapters it was exciting but also overwhelming. I’m pretty sure there’s a book two because I’m very anxious for more details!
USOM
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

The Infinity Courts is a book with one of those fabulous world building seeds. It's a book where you're never sure of what's happening. Where you can feel this subtle tension and hint of wrongness from the beginning. As our technology advances, The Infinity Court almost seems eerie. Can you imagine expecting paradise and instead walking into a war? Survival and existence aren't the s
Krisha||Bookathon
Jun 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
June 25,2020: Honestly, I am already in love with this book from the description and that gorgeous cover! My eyes have been blessed. And this book is pitched as robots and AI with the touch of Jane Austen and period dramas, GIVE IT TO ME ALREADY!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Akemi Dawn Bowman is a critically-acclaimed author who writes across genres. Her novels have received multiple accolades and award nominations, and her debut novel, STARFISH, was a William C. Morris Award Finalist. She has a BA in social sciences from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and currently lives in Scotland with her husband and two children. She overthinks everything, including this bi ...more

• The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
  • The Amber Spyglass
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Cool for the Summer
  • The Ones We're Meant to Find
  • The Royal Runaway
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Beetle & the Hollowbones
  • These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)
  • Witchlight
  • In Deeper Waters
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
  • Down Comes the Night
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Dead and the Dark
  • She Who Became the Sun (The Radiant Emperor, #1)

Articles featuring this book