Start by marking “Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)

Heart of Flames

(Crown of Feathers #2)

Veronyka, Tristan, and Sev must stop the advancing empire from destroying the Phoenix Riders in this fiery sequel to Crown of Feathers, which #1 New York Times bestselling author Kendare Blake calls “absolutely unforgettable!”

You are a daughter of queens.

The world is balanced on the edge of a knife, and war is almost certain between the empire and the Phoenix Riders.

640 pages
Published February 11th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Flames, please sign up.
Mi Universo Literario Writer Nope! It's the second book in the series. The third and final one is supposed to come out in 2021.
Michael Gilman It was published on Tuesday the 11th of February 2020

Start your review of Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)
Eilidh
The hotly anticipated sequel to Crown of Feathers catapults us back into the world of the Golden Empire and the legendary Phoenix Riders.

For the first book Crown of Feathers review, click here!

Since the Battle of the Eyrie, Veronyka and Tristan are dealing with the new realities of what it means to be in open war with the Golden Empire’s armies, and they’re working toward building the Phoenix Riders forces. Meanwhile, Sev made his choice to stand with his fellow animages and the Phoenix Riders,
Reva Dawn
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So excited for this book!!!!
Holly Hughes
Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with a physical review copy. This has not affected my review, which reflects only my honest opinions.

"When a Phoenix Rider wanted to approach unseen, she flew under cover of darkness. Quiet as a shadow—soft as starlight.

But when a Phoenix Rider wanted to wage war, she flew under the sun."

My full review can be found here!

As most trilogies go, second books form the bridge between the beginning and the end. This journey, I have often
Samantha Eck
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLY CRAP WAS THIS EVER AMAZING! I absolutely love Nick's Worlds and her storytelling. It's rich and vibrant and this world was on I didn't want to leave. Her characters are well written and the plot of this second book was mind blowing! Seriously, this will be a book to watch out for next year it's mind blowing! I can't wait to get my hands on a finished copy!
Brianna Benton
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Wow this book was even better than Crown of Feathers! It's unusual for me to like the second book in the series better than the first but I love when it happens. This book is filled with more phoenixes and magical creatures and we get to learn more about the world, it's history, and the magic. I loved all the character developments as well as the developments in the relationships. There are a lot of slow burn romances in this
Brittany
If you know me at all then you know how much I absolutely loved Crown of Feathers earlier this year and how much I adore Nicki Pau Preto. I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Heart of Flames and I will forever be grateful to Nicki because of it. Crown of Feathers was so good I didn't know how Nicki could possibly top it but she managed it, 100%. Heart of Flames is SO good.

I've seen some reviews of Crown of Feathers that claim they didn't like Veronyka
Ally Crouch
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy wow!

Everyone needs to bow down to the greatness that is Nicki Pau Preto. When I read Crown of Feathers earlier this year, I was blown away and fell in love with the characters and the world that Nicki has created. Heart of Flames has completely dazzled me... and I am not someone who uses the word dazzled.

Heart of Flames picks up shortly after the ending of Crown of Feathers and takes off pretty quickly. Everyone is trying to adjust to life after the events of the previous book, some more
Asia Chrisma Currin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The time has finally came! Weighing in at around 600 pages, Heart of Flames by Nicki Pau Preto will be released on 11 Feb 2020. With that being said...here are my thoughts (vaguely as you do NOT want to be spoiled and miss out on what this book has to offer).

Starting out, I was captured. The first chapter begins with Veronyka and Tristian begin with training for hand-to-hand combat. The bond between the two are beautiful and it breaks my heart to not see them well off right from the start. A
Danica
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book left me in awe and needing more! After the events of book one Crown of Feathers, (which I adored) I was worried a squeal wouldnt live up to my expectations. Trust me, there is no need to worry about that. Heart of flames goes above and beyond. There was so much action, emotion and romances. We see so much character development especially Veronyka and Sev. As always Val is such an interesting character to read you want to hate her but love her at the same time.

Since reading Crown of
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
I am tentatively starting this at 2-2.5 stars, review to come once I type it out for NetGalley. I don't think my main reaction is supposed to be *groan* "omg how did she not wrap this up in 600 pages? How is there a book 3?"
Leah
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
I have but one word to describe Nicki Pau Preto's follow-up to the amazing book that is Crown of Feathers. Spell it out with me now. E-P-I-C! Yes. Over 600 pages of perfect, magical, phoenix-riding, EPICNESS!

See my full review at Write, Read, Repeat

For those who have been keeping up with me, you will know how much I adored CoF. And how could I not? A high-fantasy with queens of lore, phoenix riders and a main character who disguises herself as a boy to prove them all wrong—it's all I never knew
Carrie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Review coming soon.
Sam Glasbrenner (SassyOwlReads)
This book was so amazing! I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on a digital arc.

Nicki Pau Preto managed to completely avoid the slow middle book pitfall and now I'm so mad I have to wait so long for the 3rd one.

It picks up pretty much exactly where Crown of Feathers left off and proceeds to go on a wild adventure. My palms were actually sweating at one point and a slight prickling sensation in my eyes may have occurred.
Amanda Bradburn
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
So excited to see where Nicki Pau-Preto is going to take this unique story! I'm so looking forward to Heart of Flames (and DID YOU SEE that cover?) <3
Amitai Vales
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since finishing the Crown of Feathers, I have been looking forward to this book every single day! Nicki Pau Preto has a unique writing ability to capture her readers in as soon as they turn the first page. Her world building is gorgeously outlined, and her characters grow in several ways throughout the book. I have no doubt Nicki Pau Preto will exceed these abilities in her second book. I can’t wait to read it!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/02/16/...

With Heart of Flames, this series is shaping up to be pretty epic. It does what second books are supposed to do, which is progress the storyline and raise the stakes! If you haven’t read Crown of Feathers though, you might want to skip this review until you’re caught up, as I’ll probably touch upon some of the insane fallout from the first book.

For one thing, war has arrived. The Phoenix Riders are busy preparing,
SunflowerFiction
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: november-2019
HOLY COW. HOLYYYY YCOWWWWW. INCREDIBLE. I NEED BOOK 3.
Diana
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This one is complicated to rate. I mean, I was waiting for this book anxiously as I'd loved the first one, and I was a bit let down because this one was slow. I mean, there's a lot of internal monologue and thoughts, following every single thread of action/thought any of the characters can take at any given moment. And as we are following diverse POWs (Veronyka, Val, Tristan and Sev) those monologues can get old fast, as they are each one 2-3 pages for every chapter.

Honestly, I was skimming thru
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 2020
Liza Fraser
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC of this book, and it was absolutely incredible! An amazing ride from start to finish, and the perfect follow up to Crown of Feathers. Nicki Pau Preto has done a wonderful job of building her world and her characters. The story is full of magic, action, and even some romance. This is the perfect book for readers who enjoyed Game of Thrones, and I cannot wait to see what is next to come!

You can read my full review here: https://bookishnails.home.blog/2019/1...
FWis
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So Soon! I honestly cannot wait for the next book! This series gives me such nostalgic feels back to the Inheritance Series. its like a cup of warm tea.
The cover reveal was amazing and Im so excited!
Breanne
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.**

4.5

I'm speechless. This book was one of my most highly anticipated reads of the year and it definitely lived up to my expectations. While I did really love this book I struggled to finish it because I've been extremely busy with school and work. I have to say there are so many things I loved about this book (and series) and I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first. While I really loved almost
Brie
2/16/20 I’m left speechless and in aw of Nicki. What a brilliant and beautiful book.

2/17/20 FIVE FIERY STARS! The perfect follow up to Crown of Feathers

If you have ever found yourself picking up the next book of a beloved series, you definitely know that feeling of worry that the sequel won't be as amazing as the first book and can't possibly live up to your expectations. You think there’s just no way the author can match or top how you felt about that first experience with their characters.
Dani Gobbo (Current Chapter)
(I won an ARC in an Instagram giveway)
It is no secret that I usually don't like romance in fantasy books, but I can say that Heart of Flames did the romance exactly the way that I would want it to be.
It is not the focus of the book by any means, we have the phoenixes, the family struggles, the spying, the phoenixes, the beautiful world, the twisty revelations (oooooh they are twisty!), the phoenixes (there are many).
However, the romance stuck to me because I feel like when it's "obvious" that a
Leslie Baker
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Heart of Flames, it is by far one of the best sequels I have ever read. It picks up not long after the events of Crown of Feathers..The story is told from multiple PoVs , some are the same and some are new! I was really surprised by one of them! I was not expecting it. We all know that Nyk and Tristan are my favorite characters. I love them even more after HoF! They both grew so much in this book!! Val is still the one I love to hate. She reaches new lows , that I thought even ...more
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
Before we start, this is book TWO in the Crown of Feathers trilogy, and if you want to learn more about this trilogy, here's my review for the first book: https://thecaffeinatedreader.com/2019...

Now, onto the review.

I'm not gonna lie, for about an hour I've sat here wondering what the hell to even write because this book was so magnificent I don't think my review could do it justice.

This book picks up from the first, we have seen the consequences of book one, or at least had an inkling on some
Kate Bennett
Jan 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
And I thought the first book's cover was beautiful...

NOPE not in comparison to this one

The emerald dress contrasting with the oranges and reds of the phoenix... UTTERLY STUNNING
Jen
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
*ARC provided by Simon and Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review**
Veroynka has got her job of her dreams as a Phoenix Rider and Tristan is a master Rider. Veryonka's sister Val is trying to regain the empire that she lost. They are all drawn together in a fight that will shape the course of the empire.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this novel. I think it was a lot better than the first novel. The world building was well down I thought with the side bits between chapters and
Shahna
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crown of Feathers was one of my favourite books of 2019 and I love it so much. Heart of Flames is no different. All the same characters are back with their own POV chapters, Veronyka, Tristan, Sev and Val, and now we get Elliot chapters! And a surprise character chapter at the end that was perfect and sad and ow my heart.

First I have to say, that I am so excited Sparrow is back. She is the best. So sweet and fun and I’m glad she gets a chance to hang out some more. I’m also glad that Elliot gets
USOM
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Heart of Flames defies words. It is a stunning sequel about the raging fire of obsession, the simmering flames of duty, and full of precious characters. Heart of Flames is a gripping sequel that will only stoke the fire of your love for Sev, Elliot, Tristan, Val, and Veronyka. Pau Preto is a master of multiple perspectives, ending each chapter on a hook, enticing us to keep reading
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Belle Révolte
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Sky Weaver (Iskari, #3)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
Nicki is a YA fantasy author living just outside Toronto, Canada. After getting a degree in visual arts, a masters in art history, and a diploma in graphic design, Nicki discovered two things: she loves to escape the real world, and she isn’t interested in a regular 9-5 life. Luckily, her chosen career covers both.

Her YA fantasy debut CROWN OF FEATHERS is out now from Simon Pulse, and the sequel

Crown of Feathers (3 books)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Untitled (Crown of Feathers, #3)