Start by marking “A Trust to Follow (Wild Magics #1)” as Want to Read:
A Trust to Follow (Wild Magics #1)

A Trust to Follow

(Wild Magics #1)

Daymon is the second prince of a kingdom in which Evokers—those who possess intuitive magical abilities—have long since been treated with fear and mistrust. Marked as an Evoker himself, Daymon is captured by those who wish to take advantage of these powers. Now, the prince must put his faith in Rhyder, the captain of his guards—and the man Daymon has claimed as his own—to ...more
Published June 1st 2018 by eXtasy Books Inc (first published May 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Trust to Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trust to Follow

Start your review of A Trust to Follow (Wild Magics #1)
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Some short stories work and some don’t. This one delivered!

Prince Daymon is the rare magic user and because of his potentially volatile abilities, he’s kidnapped by those who fear him and hate what he is. As he lays imprisoned awaiting a terrible fate, the only thing that’s keeping him alive is the hope that his lover and captain of his guard Rhyder, will find and rescue him.

Jumping to and fro from past to present, glimpses of how Daymon and Rhyder meet and fall in love are shown. This wa
Dia
This is the first book in the Wild Magics series by Diana Waters and it's also my first book by this author.

Even if I am not a big fan of short stories, I enjoyed this one. The writing was engaging, and I got pretty curious about the outcome.

This is a fantasy story, Daymon is a prince with magical abilities, an Evoker. Unfortunately his magical powers got him captured.

Rhyder is the captain of his guards, his lover and Daymon's only hope.

This short story can be read as a standalone and it's abo
Lost in a Book
3.5 Stars

Thinking about my rating and review for A Trust to Follow had me spinning around in circles. I liked it, really liked it and yet I felt like I was dropped in the middle of a story and what I really wanted was like a dangled carrot I could never quite reach.

Prince Daymon and the Captain of his guard, Rhyder are long time lovers. Prince Daymon claimed him for himself and they spend their days trying to change the prejudice and fear surrounding those with magical abilities (Evokers). Princ
Joyfully Jay
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

There are two ways to read this book. The first is to read it at face value as a young, innocent man who fell in love with his childhood hero, who found the reality to be better than he imagined, and whose love was returned in full. That is a sweet, fairy tale story, but it’s only surface deep. When you actually look at the interactions between Rhyder and Daymon, the story takes a different note.

Daymon doesn’t know what subtlety is. His infatuation over his hero
Rebecca Crunden
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Told partly in flashbacks and reflections, this is a lovely short story about magic, trust and loyalty. Definitely looking forward to more from this author!
Lena Grey
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ideal situation of any couple is to have a partner they can depend upon, one who will come to their aid, regardless of the consequences. Prince Daymon, of 'A Trust to Follow' by Diane Waters, and his lover Rhyder are fortunate enough have this kind of relationship. When the prince bargains with bandits to save a little girl's life, his lover is appalled, but has sworn to honor his prince's wishes, while secretly depending upon Rhyder's promise: “I'd follow you anywhere.”

The bandits want Pri
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: Blog Tour, Review, Excerpt & #Giveaway: A Trust To Follow by Diana Waters

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: 3.5 of 4 Stars

A Trust to Follow is a really short read and yet there is a whole lot of story going on here. This is told in different timelines so it may not be to your liking. I am not bothered by it so was able to follow the plot without trouble.

The long and short of it is, Daymon offers himself in exchange for a little girl's life. He is taken and the rescue happ
Maggie
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short story about Daymon, a prince and an Evoker (people who possess magical powers) who bargains for a girl’s life since she is also an Evoker, by giving himself up to those who fear Evokers, much to his lover, Rhyder’s, dismay.

Daymon is taken prisoner and subjected to cruelty at those who don’t trust Evokers. During his captivity, he has flashbacks about his youth, how he first met Rhyder, and how they came to be a couple. Biggest of all, he must not lose faith—he must believe Rhyder
AshPenny37
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a tricky thing reviewing a short story. By its very nature it doesn't have the time to properly develop characters or build worlds. So, whilst I would have liked A Trust To Follow to have been longer, I'll focus on the things I liked.

I thought no punches were pulled with some of the darker elements - the abuse Daymon suffers after he bargains his freedom for the life of a child, and the prejudice against magic users like him. There is balance, however, with Daymon's unshakeable belief in Rh
Faye K
3.5 stars .. This was a first read for the author with this book. I was curious about the story even through I don't read these types of books. A great start to the book with Dayman waking up in a cell. Saving a child puts himself in danger. Evokers where know as dangerous and hated. The story was okay which includes both POVs although it does have far amount of narrated telling. Some scenes where not easy to read having scenes of physical attacks and abuse. I didn't connect with this because of ...more
Mari  Cardenas
4 Stars!

This is a short story, but that doesn't mean that the author pulls any punches, because let me tell you, A Trust to Follow is dark and heartbreaking and Diana Waters doesn't shy away from writing about Daymon's captivity in painful detail. I was in tears seeing how he was treated and only the flashbacks interspersed with the action made me keep going.

The writing was pretty good, I was invested in Daymon's plight and hoping against hope that he'd be rescued soon and I liked getting to kn
Brico
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first taste of the genre, and it made for a good evening read to get swept away with in one sitting. Daymon and Rhyder left very clear impressions in my mind as characters. Rhyder's breezy personality, devotion, and heroics tick off all the boxes of "fantasy lover you want to hate but you can't because you want someone like him anyway", whereas Daymon is the boy who you root for in all his trials (but still sort of delight in seeing him suffer). In the way the story unfolds, my heart ...more
Melanie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 1.75 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-eaB

From that review: " It's never a good thing when the blurb gives you more world building than the actual story.  But that, and much more (or actually much less) happens in A Trust to Follow (Wild Magics #1) by Diana Waters."

For all our reviews, visit http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords...
Kevaughn Ryder
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Trust to Follow is a sweet story of love, sacrifice, and duty. It's short, which means it doesn't get a chance to explore these themes in depth, but as the first part of a series, I don't doubt that it will dive deeper into these in later installments. The major critique I would offer to Diana is that the story does not follow the rule of thumb that italicised 'thoughts' are to be written in the first person, not the third person.

All in all, it was a pleasant read.
Monica
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the short story of prince Daymond and Rhyder. It was well written. It is nice M/M story of magic. I wished the characters would be more developed to understand who is Rhyder. What happened with the king? Does the king hate his son? Regardless, if you are looking to read a romance short story, I would invest in reading Diana Waters books.
P Leslie
Apr 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review, m-m
I’m not a major fan of short stories but this one was written really well.

Daymon’s memories were insightful, as they gave a small glimpse, into who Ryder was and his importance in Daymon’s life.

This story was about hope, love, survival and doing what you can to change the others perceptions.

*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else's*

Devoted❤️Reader
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
By your side

Magic, love and the premise of battles yet to come await in this brief but intriguing story. Daymon puts his trust with his Rhyder and although I wish we could have seen more of together, Rhyder doesn’t disappoint. It will be interesting to see what happens next in this world.
Belinda Zamora
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast paced action that did a good job of ensuring that the relationship between Daymon and Rhyder felt complete.
Magic, drama, betrayal and bigotry were explored very well for a short story.
The author did a great job making the characters and their emotional pitfalls relatable and realistic.
Xochitl
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short story introduces us to a world full of intolerance and hate for those with magic. Prince Daymon is a victim of this anger and only his love can save him. A story about courage, loyalty and love that gave hope to the outcasts in the kingdom. I can’t wait to read more about this world.
Amy
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. I’d love to see more of this world and maybe a bit longer of a story.
HAYLEY SMITH
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daymon and Rhyder are fantastic characters in this short, well written and really interesting book. I look forward to reading more about world built in this story.
Nephylim Nephylim
On the whole, I really liked this book. The story was interesting and the characters complex and well rounded, especially given the short length of the story. Inevitably there were places where the story was rushed and I would like to have seen the relationship between Daymon and Rhyder grow and develop more gradually, however, that is not a real criticism, rather a personal preference.

My main criticism of the book was that the story jumped about all over the place. It changed POV, which wasn't
Tracey
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
Set in a mystical land, Prince Daymon is born an evoker (he can do magic) for some that is scary and dangerous and they hide their abilities. Some want to find evokers and force them to do their bidding using magic, others want to kill them.

Prince Daymon has always had a think for Rhyder a leader in their army.

This book starts with Daymon imprisoned and follows his treatment while locked up with flashbacks to how Rhyder and him develop into more than friends.

Its a novella and MM and is an intere
James
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2020
deadrun
Aug 08, 2020
Christina Haley
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read of its kind. "Man p0rn," as the author calls it, is not typically what catches my interest. As a first-time reader of this genre I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed "A Trust to Follow". The story was fast-paced (obviously, as it quite short), but took time to really develop the relationship between characters as well as give a tidy overview of the conflicts going on within the world that Diana has created.
The situations Daymon found himself in were qu
Peggy
Nov 25, 2019

• Virgin Flyer
  • News Boy
  • Dead of Knight (Guardians of Camelot #2)
  • Barely Regal (Rosavia Royals, #5)
  • Captive Mate (Mismatched Mates #2)
  • Unnatural (The Wrong Alpha, #1)
  • By a Thread
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • rock
  • The Yuletide Runaway (Goddess-Blessed #3.5)
  • Angelo (The Marchesi Family #2)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Finding Finley
  • Wolfsbane (Werewolves of Boston #1)
  • The Boy and the Caterpillar
  • Convicted (The Bureau, #5)
  • Chained  (The Bureau #4)
Diana is a New Zealand M/M romance author currently residing in New York. However, she has also lived and worked for several years in Japan and several months in Thailand. She has no idea where in the world she’ll be this time next year and is pretty okay with that. Other than reading and writing, her main passions include international travel, amateur photography and competitive swimming.

Wild Magics (2 books)
  • Kaidyn's Courage (Wild Magics Book 2)

News & Interviews