Start by marking “Folsom (End of Men, #1)” as Want to Read:
Folsom (End of Men, #1)

Folsom

(End of Men #1)

The nation as we know it is a thing of the past. With the male species on the verge of extinction, a society called the End Men is formed to save the world. Folsom Donahue is one of twelve men whose sole purpose is to repopulate the Regions. The endless days spent having sex with strangers leaves Folsom with an emptiness no amount of women, money, or status can fill.

Unti
Published May 28th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Folsom, please sign up.
Lex Yes, Yes and Yes there is a cliffy. LOL. But it is worth itttt. <3…moreYes, Yes and Yes there is a cliffy. LOL. But it is worth itttt. <3(less)
Amanda Here's a description off Google: Dystopian literature is a genre of fictional writing used to explore social and political structures in 'a dark, nigh…moreHere's a description off Google: Dystopian literature is a genre of fictional writing used to explore social and political structures in 'a dark, nightmare world.' The term dystopia is defined as a society characterized by poverty, squalor or oppression and the theme is most commonly used in science fiction and speculative fiction genres.

Another longer description:

Dystopias: Definition and Characteristics

Utopia: A place, state, or condition that is ideally perfect in respect of politics, laws, customs, and conditions.

Dystopia: A futuristic, imagined universe in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through corporate, bureaucratic, technological, moral, or totalitarian control. Dystopias, through an exaggerated worst-case scenario, make a criticism about a current trend, societal norm, or political system.

Characteristics of a Dystopian Society

• Propaganda is used to control the citizens of society.
• Information, independent thought, and freedom are restricted.
• A figurehead or concept is worshiped by the citizens of the society.
• Citizens are perceived to be under constant surveillance.
• Citizens have a fear of the outside world.
• Citizens live in a dehumanized state.
• The natural world is banished and distrusted.
• Citizens conform to uniform expectations. Individuality and dissent are bad.
• The society is an illusion of a perfect utopian world.

Types of Dystopian Controls

Most dystopian works present a world in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through one or more of the following types of controls:

• Corporate control: One or more large corporations control society through products, advertising, and/or the media. Examples include Minority Report and Running Man.
• Bureaucratic control: Society is controlled by a mindless bureaucracy through a tangle of red tape, relentless regulations, and incompetent government officials. Examples in film include Brazil.
• Technological control: Society is controlled by technology—through computers, robots, and/or scientific means. Examples include The Matrix, The Terminator, and I, Robot.
• Philosophical/religious control: Society is controlled by philosophical or religious ideology often enforced through a dictatorship or theocratic government.

The Dystopian Protagonist

• often feels trapped and is struggling to escape.
• questions the existing social and political systems.
• believes or feels that something is terribly wrong with the society in which he or she lives.
• helps the audience recognizes the negative aspects of the dystopian world through his or her perspective.

I can't really put it into words myself because it's kind of complex lol. Hopefully this helps!(less)

Start your review of Folsom (End of Men, #1)
Christy
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-four-stars
4.25 stars!!

photo IMG_1299_zpsd880r4wx.png

OMG What did I just read? Tarryn Fisher and Willow Aster make for an amazing duo. This book was completely unique and fully kept my attention. I haven’t read a dystopian romance in the longest time and I was addicted to this one! From start to finish, I didn’t want to put it down.

Times have changed and the world that we know is over. The male species is almost extinct, save for 12 End Men who are tasked with traveling to the regions and repopulating the nation. Folsom it he ori
Bibi
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, kindle-unlimited
Spoiler Alert

@30% and I'm disputing if this was indeed written by, my bestie, Tarryn Fisher.
Also, reading Folsom's introspections was beyond exhausting, not to mention how distasteful I found the idea of one man having multiple sex partners on a daily basis. Yes, yes, I know that's the entire premise, but the execution of the story left much to be desired. DNF and sent back to KU.
Melanie
DNF @ 50%
“I have impregnated two hundred and three women over the course of sixteen years. Five of those pregnancies have resulted in male children.”

Tarryn Fisher wrote one of my favorite books of all time, Mud Vein, which completely changed who I am as a person. And I’ve never read anything by Willow Aster before, but my friends have told me really good things! But I’m not about to read a book (especially during Pride) where there are only 12 adult men left to populate this dystopi
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
❤️4-4,5 stars❤️

I don't know where to start my review with Folsom, it was such a unique and original story!It took me by surprise, it was totally different of what I thought and this make me enjoy it even more!I was mesmerized and hooked with the story from the first pages!Folsom is like nothing I have read so far, it was brilliant!What a great plot, I was intrigued!

description

Apart from the unique story line I also adored the characters!Gwen and Folsom are interesting characters!They felt realistic and I
Julia
Rose
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
A book by Tarryn Fisher is the exception to my "no books with six pack men covers" rule.

Review

I am sad to rate this book with only one star because Tarryn Fisher is one of few indie authors that I absolutely love, however, this book did not live up to my "Tarryn Fisher" expectation. First, let's remember that this was written not just by Tarryn but also by Willow Aster. These two female authors came together to base a book on what I think is a brilliant idea. Finally all the evil that's in the w
chan ☆
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
description

what in the cliff hanging hell

this was G capital OO D good my pals. i dunno what i was expecting but it definitely wasn't an "all men are expected to breed like race horses" scenario. i mean i read the description, but this was some whole other twisted bullshit.

and it was great! i think i've finally gotten over my aversion to dystopians! essentially most adult men became sterile at some point and there's only 12 men left in america who can BREED. i thought it'd be a creepy sex cult scenario but
Jen
Where to begin with this book!!! Lol! First of all, this was an extremely unique read!!! At first when I began, I have to admit that I was hesitant... mainly because Folsom; our hero was one of the twelve men who was basically whored out to women for his sperm. Of course, I am not fond of heroes sleeping with other women besides the heroine. The thing is though, once we are given an understanding of what his life is like, and how dissatisfied Folsom is with it... the focus then zeroes in on him ...more
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts

Folsom is a fast-paced contemporary romance with a touch of something different. The something different is a scintillating element of dystopian that adds a much appreciated fresh and unique quality to this romance story by allowing it to be character driven with naturalistic characters set in a time that is completely extraordinary, a time that is clearly not based in our reality but is totally believable. Folsom and Aster completely pulled me into their fictional world, made me feel invested i
Paige
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 “Revolution“ Stars

Folsom was a unique story that left an impression. Fisher and Aster are a talented duo that kept me on the edge of my seat and needing more.

I voluntarily read an ARC of this book. A is for Alpha B is for Books.
V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards
UNSAFE READ ALERT

(view spoiler)

More on Julia's review

If you like
Ashley
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
View this review and many more at: Ashes Books & Bobs.

Tarryn Fisher and Willow Aster took gender stereotypes and kicked them in the balls.

It's no secret I love everything Tarryn Fisher writes, so when I saw she was pairing with Willow Aster, another author I love, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I'm grateful for the opportunity to read an ARC from these two sought-after authors and give my thoughts on this original story. I absolutely loved the concept behind this book because it i
Jessica ❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥
4.5

😱 I need Jackal stat!! I had never even heard of this book until a few days ago, and I thought it was a standalone! I was wrong. 😂 This book is so unique, and I'm glad there is more to come...even if I almost lost my mind at the end! 😂 I'm really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Review to come.
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
"You know this is the way it is. When the time comes, he will pay the price of being born a man."

It seriously breaks my heart to rate a book that’s been touched by Tarryn so low but, in all honesty, this wasn’t that great…

Let me start off by saying that I worship the ground Tarryn walks on. I think she hangs the moon and I love her so much that if I could I would body snatch her. But then technically I guess it wouldn’t be her, so I’ll just settle with wanting to be her when I grow up. Her words
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Have you ever dipped into a story that you knew you shouldn't like... actually you knew you didn't really like it... but you just can't stop reading it? It not only shocked you but had you grinning and wondering at the thrill of it all? Yeah, that's what reading this story was like.

Embrace. The. Cringe.

I was disgusted and intrigued at the same damn time and I couldn't stop myself. I couldn't read fast enough, I couldn't fall for Folsom hard enough, and I couldn't wait to ge
Heather
"Women aren't stupid. That's why they outlasted us."

Like I said, the entire idea of this book makes me giggle.
description

Well, I DID giggle! A lot! I also was serious. I swooned. My heart broke a tiny bit. It was just so good. I even felt the need for a cold shower. If ya know what I mean...
description

So, this book is about the future and it finally happened... Men stopped listening to women and are now practically extinct. To save all of humanity there is a small elite group of men called The End Men.

They are
Fabi
Dystopian novels are among my very favorite books to read. I've read many, although I have to admit that the majority of the ones I love are YA. I haven't had much luck with adult dystopian novels. The very few I've tried have come across as some weird form of erotica.

This one failed for me from early on. But because I read it as part of a large buddy read group I stuck with it for much longer than I would have reading it on my own. I just can't anymore.

I had no connection to either of MCs.

Women
Willow Aster
May 15, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I stop dead in my tracks. There’s someone else in here. At first I see only boots, large boots, too big for a woman. He hears me come in and perches forward on the sink to peer around the corner.

“You can’t read or you don’t care?” he asks.

At first I’m too shocked to know what he’s talking about, then I remember the Out of Order sign on the door.

“I can’t read,” I say. “I’m just another stupid woman trying to have a baby.”

He laughs. It bounces across the bathroom walls and hits me in the chest.

“We
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I was not expecting that from the Fisher and Aster collaboration!!! I literally devoured this book and was sitting at the edge of my seat throughout... Gwen is fierce, strong, independent—everything you want in a female lead. And Folsom... dear Folsom... so misunderstood, so wanted by women for all the wrong reasons... his situation just broke my heart over and over because I wanted to help him desperately...I wanted to save him!

This is the age of women...think Katy Perry Roar lyrics:
I got
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4 ★'s

One thing you can say for sure is that you never know what you're gonna get reading a Tarryn Fisher book. Add in Willow Aster and you know there's at least going to be a good romance.

I have to admit that I wasn't a fan of the apocalyptic theme and knowing that the Hero has to have sex with several women a day leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. How can this ever work out?

Hopefully, you've read the blurb and if you haven't, well, basically most of the men have died out for unknown reasons.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
description

‘The moment I saw her, I knew. A feeling, a draw, the smallest spark of kindling. I want her. Oh my God. I want her.’

It’s been a while since we’ve read a Dystopian romance, and Folsom, the first book in the End of Men series, was one we were eager to explore. Not only for the concept, but for the writing duo of Tarryn Fisher and Willow Aster. Separately these authors are impressive storytellers, as a collaboration, their voices delivered seamless heady storytelling, providing us with an exhilara
Beth
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished Folsom roughly 48 hours ago, and I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around what I read. This book is unique, and captivating, and sexy, and heartbreaking, and a million other emotions that my brain is trying to process all at once.

The characters are INCREDIBLE! Seriously, Gwen is easily on my Top 5 Favorite Heroines Ever list. She's brave and determined, and frustrating as hell, but you will SO get why. Folsom is sexy and confident and honorable, and so so so broken. My heart ached for
Rejane
That blurb.. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Really.. when this book happens? 1800’s? Do they need to have sex with many, many, many, maaanny women (quoting Blanche from Golden Girls - but in her case it was many “men” lol) instead of doing IV? What everything was destroyed? Even their brain? But then they will be creating brainless children!!?? Oh G zuhs.. this kind of futuristic or “past-uristic”books are definitely not for me.
#sorrynotsorry

I think this book is supposed to show wo
Jacqueline's Reads
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku, single-parent, v-card
4 … Different Stars (mostly Sci Fi book)

I picked up Folsom based on the summary alone. I’ll be honest and admit I’m not a huge fan of Tarryn Fisher’s writing, based on the fact she writes antsy reads with mild romance. Her books are simply not my cuppa and I’ve heard Willow Aster writes the same way.

With that said, there are some aspects of the book I enjoyed a lot and there were some parts I struggled with.

When I started the book I was questioning if I was reading a Tarryn Fisher book because i
Betül
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
description

Folsom was a very original story, however I expected more from the story. It started really strong, and I was intrigued by the characters. But towards the end I lost interest, and I especially didn't like the last quarter of the book. It was very unconventional story, which I love. But I couldn't warm up to Folsom and Gwen. Their relationship/love didn't feel genuine to me. The action/suspense at the end was not my cup of tea, and I expect the next books in the End of Men series to continue with
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
I love Tarryn Fisher and I love dystopian novels.

I neeeeeeed this
Rebecca Woodward
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
4.5 Stars

Wow!! Two dirty minds with beautiful souls have started a wonderful trilogy. A dystopian world where men are a rare occurrence. So women rule this world. They created a woman's society. Only 12 men who are fertile are populating the universe. These men are somewhat treated like sex slaves. I am so intrigued with this storyline it has sucked me into this world and I am loosing sleep. The ending is not the ending a but a big cliffhanger. The characters are very unique. A must read!!
Andie
It’s always like Christmas has come early when a new Tarryn Fisher novel drops and my greedy little hands can’t unwrap the package quickly enough. Folsom was no different in that aspect - I sat on the edge of my seat, completely captivated with this story.

While I have read many dystopians over the years, I can honestly say that I have never read anything quite like Folsom. I am a big fan of The Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu but I never did get around to reading the book. Folsom does sport some simila
Tracey (Life and Literature)
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
For the truth to make a difference, it needs to be said by one person at a time, until there's a noise loud enough to make a difference.

When I first saw the synopsis for Folsom I was all kinds of intrigued. I'm always looking for books that are something a little different to everything else, and this one absolutely fit that bill. I hadn't read anything by Willow Aster before, but when you partner with Tarryn Fisher it's pretty hard to go wrong. As soon as it landed on my kindle I dropped ever
Tissy
May 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Super disappointing. I love most of TF books so was looking forward to this but by the first few pages I was just itching to DNF. I was completely underwhelmed.

The book basically takes the concept of The Handmaids's Tale and tries to spin it on its head which actually sounds good but unfortunately it failed, big.

THT is super gritty, full of realistic parallels with society, great writing and just plain thrilling. Folsom was '"fol 'som bullshit" -get it?? It was just erotic, pointless fanfic of

• 5,331 Miles (The La Jolla Series, #1)
  • Fade to Red
  • All Your Perfects
  • The Surviving Trace (Surviving Time, #1)
  • Maybe Maby
  • Exposed (Kingdoms of Sin, #2)
  • True Love Story
  • Downfall (Kingdoms of Sin, #1)
  • Miles Ahead (The La Jolla Series, #1.5)
  • Regretting You
  • Praying for Rain (The Rain Trilogy, #1)
  • Epoch (Transcend, #2)
  • Birthday Girl
  • The Life You Stole (Life, #2)
  • The Life That Mattered (Life, #1)
  • Lilith
  • Someone Else's Ocean
  • Transcend (Transcend, #1)
I would like to write a novel that every, single person loves, but not even J.K. Rowling could do that. Instead, I try to write stories that pull on people's emotions. I believe that sadness is the most powerful emotion, and swirled with regret the two become a dominating force. I love villains. Three of my favorites are Mother Gothel, Gaston and the Evil Queen who all suffered from a pretty wicke ...more

End of Men (3 books)
  • Jackal (End of Men, #2)
  • Kasper (End of Men, #3)