Start by marking “I Am Out with Lanterns” as Want to Read:
I Am Out with Lanterns

I Am Out with Lanterns

One of us is in the dark.
One of us is a bully.
One of us wants to be understood.
One of us loves a girl who loves another.
One of us remembers the past as if it just happened.
One of us believes they’ve drawn the future.
But we’re all on the same map, looking for the same thing.

Year Ten begins with a jolt for best friends and neighbours Wren and Milo. Along with Hari, Jul
Published July 30th 2018 by Penguin Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about I Am Out with Lanterns, please sign up.

Start your review of I Am Out with Lanterns
✨    jamieson   ✨
"I am out with lanterns, looking for myself"

I heard about this book at a Penguin event that Emily Gale attended and was immediately drawn in by its premise. It follows six teenagers in year ten in Melbourne, and eventually, all their stories start to intertwine. I really love multi-pov stories and this had six main characters, which is unusual for contemporary, so I was really interested in where this would go.

I don't know how to feel about this book. There were a couple of things I really
cake and madness
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I did an authenticity/sensitivity read for this book so my review is going to be a bit biased. I'm mainly leaving this review for any autistic readers who aren't sure if they want to try reading it.

I, too, tend to be extremely wary when i see that a neurotypical author has decided to include an autistic character in their book - so often, they rely on really awful stereotypes and look to psychs, parents of autistic kids and wikipedia for their research instead of asking us directly.

But when Em
ALPHAreader
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been nourishing myself with little chunks of this every night for months (partly because I wanted to keep it going, partly because I'm struggling with recreational reading for more than ten minutes at the moment)

But honestly - Emily Gale's 'I Am Out With Lanterns' is one of the best YA books of 2018. Hands down. Even that title is *chef's kiss*

Considering that this is a loose sequel to her 2016 book 'The Other Side of Summer' (which I also thought was bloody wonderful) it's pretty spectac
Zitong Ren
Provided by the State Library Victoria as part of the Inky Awards.

The blurb doesn’t say much, not really. It doesn’t give names, what the book is about, the setting nothing. The title doesn’t say much either, and right at the start on the first page has the title of the book in a quote from Emily Dickinson. As such, I did leave this book towards the end of my(second half) of the books that I read for the Inky Awards, and I did approach it very hesitantly, given that I had no clue of what it was
Rachael
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve read an entire book in a 24 hour period before. Emily Gale has forced this new record upon me by supplying me with an exquisite and unputdownable story and life trapping me in a car for 6 hours road tripping home from a weekend out of town and a head cold giving me just the excuse for putting myself to bed at 6pm to read my way to the finish line.

Well, I do hope Emily Gale is feeling MIGHTY smug after a long ago chat we had on Twitter where upon I confided in her my historical
Kristy Fairlamb
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of those stories like 'Love Actually' and 'Crash', where multiple different characters and story lines initially have nothing to do with each other, but by the end of the story combine with great force, and knowing all the characters so intimately only makes the ending stronger.
It took a little bit to get into this story with all the different POVs, but the great storytelling and writing kept me turning pages until it all began to come together and I knew I was in for something big
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
‘I Am Out With Lanterns’ is a really beautiful AUSTRALIAN story about a group of teenagers on the cusp of year 10 exploring their identities in a world of increasing sexual understanding and technological advances. Gale manages to give each character a voice, ones that play with the subtleties of stereotypes and allow quiet diversity.

“Parents are the most confusing people – they urge us forwards into every next stage, but then hold us back if the transition becomes inconvenient. Grow up! Don’t
Jordi
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nuanced, complex, and thoroughly readable.

Full review (paywalled) at Books+Publishing:

I will say that on a personal level 'I am Out with Lanterns' broke me in the best possible way - providing some much-needed representation, and some healing for some great hurt. There was ugly-crying.
Penni Russon
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this a lot. It reminded me of Rebecca Stead’s Goodbye Stranger.
Samantha S
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just wanted to start with this being my first review on this site so I am unsure whether this review would be helpful in terms of determining whether you want to read it or not. But, I had gotten this book last month at a Penguin Teen Showcase event which I really enjoyed. And listening to Emily Gale read out that first page of the book I immediately knew it was going to be an interesting book.

Now upon reading the book you're introduced to all of these characters who have their own quirks. An
K.
Trigger warnings: bullying, domestic violence, abuse, probably other stuff that I have forgotten in the past ten days.

3.75 stars.

It took me a while to get into this, and I feel like I would have enjoyed it more if I'd read The Other Side of Summer first. But I didn't, so... Really, I felt like there were maaaaybe one too many protagonists in this book. I liked that it was set in Melbourne and was full of familiar places. I liked that there was a ton of diversity in the story. I liked the writi
Jessica M
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

I Am Out with Lanterns is the latest contemporary novel by Australian young adult author Emily Gale. It explores friendship, family, relationships and identity.

There are many characters to this novel, and many switching POV chapters. However, central characters include Wren, an artist who is stuck drawing portrait after portrait of her brother Floyd, who died a few years earlier. Milo is Wren’s next door neighbour. He’s sweet, kind-hearted and has a beautiful soul. But he
Sylvs (NOVELty Reads)
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of us is in the dark.
One of us is a bully.
One of us wants to be understood.
One of us loves a girl who loves another.
One of us remembers the past as if it just happened.
One of us believes they’ve drawn the future.

I have to admit looking at all that I felt a little bit overwhelmed. Normally books have what 3 perspectives? but this one THIS one had 6 in 366 pages. I have to admit I was VERY worried about this and how author Emily Gale would tie all these perspectives together and to be ho
Trisha
Excellent interweaving of many characters, each dealing with the messy complications of family, friendship and feelings (and also bullying, parents, and events out of control).

I was immersed and invested, and felt all the love for (most of) the characters.
ari
4.5 star rating

This was touching and sensitive and one the best contemporary young adult novels I've read in a while.
Ara
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was very excited to read this book because I love Australian YA, but this was disappointing. I loved the diversity and a couple of the twists but that's about it. The pace was slow and so boring at times but it kept me intrigued enough that I had to keep reading. I guess I was just waiting for something to happen and it never really did. I don't think anything happens in this book until you're a good third in, and even then it's so anticlimactic that it still doesn't feel like the book was abo ...more
Gabby
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Penguin Random House Australia for sending me a copy of I AM OUT WITH LANTERNS for review.

I first heard about this book at a book event with Emily Gale, and the way she described the book really intrigued me. It focuses on a lot of themes and issues currently present in today's society, and ones that I don't often read about in YA literature. Also, YAY because this is another fantastic #LoveOZYA novel to add to your reading list!

I love these kids of stories that are told for multiple p
Annie-JoElizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This #LoveOzYA novel by Emily Gale is so many things I love: a realistic slice-of-life novel dealing with so many topics (like autism, bullying, sexual harassment, toxic relationships) in such a sensitive, caring way that I think is very accessible for younger teens (which is the age the characters are); multiple point-of-view characters who all have distinct, well-developed voices and story lines; interconnected story lines and characters; a beautiful readable writing style with like just the r ...more
Abbie
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I don’t totally know what to make of this book. It’s set in Melbourne and I purposefully read it whilst in Melbourne, which was pretty neat.

It’s the opposite of so many books. In a world where I feel like most books move too quickly, this one moves extremely, extremely slowly, which I almost always prefer - as long as there’s payoff. Which I’m not sure there was here?

I wanted to get to the end feeling warm, like the threads had all connected in the right ways, but I sort of felt the rollercoaste
SJ RocknRoll
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Australian YA novel about 6 teens with very different voices but similar desires. We all just want to be loved and understood and to know that we are enough as we are. Some romance, some mystery, some social commentary. Picked it up at the Dymocks YA Roadshow and was charmed by the Author.
Fei
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, ya
Better than I expected. Queerer than I expected. More empowering than I expected. All good things.
Madeleine
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is honestly one of the best books I have read it is soo engaging and i couldnt put it down.
Lauren Taylor
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and complicated

Gale weaves multiple perspectives with skill and so much heart! Left me wanting more but in a good way. Highly recommend!
Celia
Dec 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
What the hell just happened?
I feel really bad about putting only 1 star, but I did not enjoy this so I wanted to be honest.

I'm just really confused over this. Where was the plot? Where was all of this going? Judging by the ending all of this was about the Flare app and teaching the lesson that it's not the girls fault, but the guys who share it. Which is a great message by the way, but that was DEFINATELY not the main point of 3/4 of the book.
What about Adie's portraits? What was that about? Jul
Kirra
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
I Am Out With Lanterns is the latest novel from Melbourne writer Emily Gale about friendship, family, and the events that make your teenage years so wild and confusing. This book has six different main characters and intertwined storylines that comes together to make one large story. I would say that majority of this book is about relationships, romantic and platonic, between all of the characters and their families too. There's also some drama at school and a bully that you get to know as well. ...more
Katie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emily Gale's latest novel is set in Melbourne and revolves around six Breakfast Club style teenagers trying to navigate the choppy seas of adolescence. Told in fragments, and lovingly, skilfully drawn multiple perspectives, Gale conjures the life of Milo, Wren, Hari, Ben, Juliet, and Adie, who are struggling with loss, the pressure of parental expectations, bullying, substance abuse, sexuality, autism, and the general teenage roller coaster of scintillating highs and and crushing disappointment. ...more
Claire
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Am Out With Lanterns is an amazing well written YA contemporary with six likable narrators. Emily Gale did a great job at juggling their stories, dealing with issues of bullying, casual racism, toxic masculinity and feminism. I loved how diverse the characters were with queer, autism, people of colour and religious representation. This is also the companion novel to The Other Side of Summer but can be read as a standalone since it’s a different story with some of the same characters.

I really
Grace
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.
I like how it's like Wonder Wonder when the character's point of views change and it gives a different perspective, like in Ben's chapters hes the bully and hates Milo, and then in Milo's chapters he's afraid of Ben.
I also think that it's really cool how all the characters link together somehow. Ben hates Milo, Milo likes Wren, Wren like Hari, etc.
And I love the diversity in the characters, with Milo having autism and Wren and Hari being part of the LGBTQ community.
Bu
Mistress Bast
I am conflicted about how I feel about this book. For most of it it was a bit of a slog and I spent a lot of time being bored but... there was something about the characters that made me care about them by the end. I wanted to know they were going to be ok. The way Emily Gale tied all the stories together with a couple of lines from an Emily Dickinson poem was lovely and made me feel better about the time it took me to read it.

In the end I am not sure what teens I would recommend this one to. Pr

• After the Lights Go Out
  • Shauna's Great Expectations
  • How It Feels to Float
  • Lenny's Book of Everything
  • Deep Water
Emily Gale is a book-nerd who has worked in the children’s & YA book industry for nearly twenty years. In London she worked as an editor for Penguin and Egmont, and later as a freelance manuscript consultant and pre-school book writer. In Melbourne she's worked with literary agent Sheila Drummond, finding new children’s and YA authors; she has reviewed for Bookseller and Publisher, been a judge in ...more