Start by marking “Bedfellow” as Want to Read:
Bedfellow

Bedfellow

From Jeremy C. Shipp, the Bram Stoker Award-nominated author of The Atrocities, comes a tense dark fantasy novel of psychological horror in Bedfellow.

It broke into their home and set up residence in their minds.

When the . . . thing first insinuated itself into the Lund family household, they were bemused. Vaguely human-shaped, its constantly-changing cravings seemed distu
Published November 13th 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Bedfellow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedfellow

Start your review of Bedfellow
Hamad
The full review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Thanks for the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review

so now I am reading horror?
Ha, the only horror I know is my ever-growing TBR 😌😌
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Given how much I loved Jeremy Shipp’s last gothic novella, The Atrocities , I was more than a little eager to pick up Bedfellow. An unsettling tale of a family home being invaded by a bizarre intruder who begins to wage psychological warfare on them by changing their memories? Talk about disturbing!

Hendrick prides himself on always responding well to an emergency, but he freezes in place when a man in a Space Jam nightshirt crawls through their living room window.

Let me say this:
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
This review originally appeared on Cemetery Dance/Extras Nov. 12th, 2018
Jeremy Shipp has a unique brand of psychological horror. I read his novella, The Atrocities, earlier this year and was taken aback by Shipp’s bold, almost reckless storytelling choices. It seems like anything can happen in his books which can be quite unexpected for the reader. I would say more often than not these strange, almost absurd plot details are successful in creating an enjoyable reading experience; but sometimes,
Gary
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
dnf
I couldn't read this any longer. Not only was I bored out of my mind, the characters were totally unlikable cardboard cutouts. I don't care enough about this to see how it ends.
Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

ARC provided by Tor in exchange for an honest review! Publishing November 13th.

2.5/5

I really wanted to love this book, but I didn’t.

That’s the very short review of this book, but that’s really what it comes down to. When I requested this, it sounded so damn creepy. A family gets invaded by a creature and creeps its way into their family and their lives.

But, it was a case — for me — of the premise being creepier than the actual story.

The Lund family were
Jay G
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I was sent a copy of this by the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

One night when the Lund family were enjoying a family night together, a creature crawled through their window. It began changing their memories and infiltrating their lives. This is their story.

I think this book was a case of the premise sounded very intriguing but it wasn't executed to its full potential. Whe
Trisha
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
"I'll gopher broke to keep you alive."

What on earth was this? I was strolling down my library shelves, hoping to spot a new Horror novel when I noticed this great cover. It's the perfect set of creepy and wonder that made me take the leap and borrow it.

I wish I'd loved the story as much as the cover. I was ready for....something more. I didn't like the confusion as Marvin's memories kept being expanded and expanded. It was hard to really catch when they'd slip and suddenly Marvin was Imani's twi
Noel Penaflor
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
A slow burn with no real payoff. For 150 of the 200+ pages, Bedfellow hints at something sinister without really delivering. If this were a movie, you'd be looking at your watch wondering when or if anything was going to happen. There's no more disheartening a feeling than knowing you're near the end of the book and nothing of any real consequence has taken place.
Shipp draws reasonably well-constructed characters. Too bad you're way past caring what happens to them.
Would have been a better stor
Baal Of
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a deeply weird book, and as such I can understand the viewpoints of those who gave it negative reviews, but for me it hit right in that sweet spot of strange and unsettling, without turning into utter nonsense. I loved the way it starts with Hendrick (the father) seeing a man in a nightshirt crawling into his living room through the window, with the added touch of green ooze spilling from a bag. his response makes it clear that he would normally respond sensibly, but something causes him ...more
Syeda Sumayya Tariq
It's an almost disturbing, convoluted mess of surreal nature, the quality of a fever dream. Dnfd!
Carol
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, horror
What the hell did I just read?! This was so weird and disturbing!
Drew
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, on-my-shelves
This was just 2 episodes of Rick and Morty mashed together as a horror novel, and jam-packed with pop culture references and overly specific brand names. If that sounds like a good idea to you, keep in mind that it’s not funny, not clever, and not scary, ever.

Specificity is good, but not when it’s distracting. I don’t need to know which name brands the family prefers. I don’t need to hear references to all the movies they like.

Also, when it hit us (we read this aloud before bed) that this was
Melliane
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

This is a very intriguing novel and I was really curious to discover the story.

The Lund family saw a man appear in their house one day. They don’t know him. Yet this thing is far from ordinary. He takes root in your life and makes you believe that he has always been part of it. It creeps in gently, from family acquaintances to family and you do everything for him. The thing has a strong grip!

I had a really good time with that novel. The idea is quite original
Areli Amaya
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When the thing broke into the Lund family's home, a quiet sort of panic crept in. Shortly after, they remembered it had always been a part of their lives and being scared of it seemed almost comical and unfounded.
But as the hours blend into days and their memories start to change, the Lunds have no idea about the magnitude of the danger they are in - they have been lulled into complacency by a hungry beast, one that never plans to set them free.
The truth is, I have no recollection of how I ca
David Bridges
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Bedfellow was a delightfully macabre mindfuck of a novel. I tore through the 200 plus pages in two nights. No lie. I traveled down this weird demon influenced inception style labyrinth with Shipp and never looked back.

The story begins with what looks like the home invasion of a family but quickly turns into an oddly cryptic case of misunderstood identity. You could say it is a possession of sorts, but it also is the occupation of an entire family’s minds. The narrative unfolds through the variou
KelseAwesomeness
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sophie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a great concept but I never really got into it. The beginning felt really passive, all these confusing things happening and I guess it was supposed to be unsettling, but the characters are so calm about it, there's never any tension. (And I wonder how well it would have worked, if I hadn't read the synopsis and known what was happening from that, would that unsettling vibe have been fully established, or would it have just been confusing in a frustrating way.)
Also, there were pop cultur
Sandy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, fiction, library
When I heard about this book, I was excited to read it. It was short and the cover looked creepy. The beginning was interesting and it definitely got me hooked but then it got weird.

I was curious about where this book was headed. The longer that I read, I realized that I didn’t care about the family. I was more interested in the stranger that had arrived on the scene. What was he doing inside their house and what was his plans?

The husband welcomes a man into their home, for the first time, with
Ernie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A feverish look at a psychic vampire as it worms its way through the minds of an entire family. There were too many pop-culture references that served no purpose other than the author talking about movies he liked, but that was my only quibble. Other than that, I really enjoyed it from start to finish.
Kim
Did not finish this. Got to 21% and just knew I could not slog through any more of it.
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
this is the creepiest cover i've ever seen, which automatically means i need to read it?
Robin
This is a slow burn of a creepy, gross read. If you like manipulation, pus, and Howard the Duck, this one's for you! Highly descriptive and almost believable tale about a home invasion that turns into a murderous mind meld.
Becky Spratford
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review on the blog and in the 10/1/18 issue of Booklist: http://raforall.blogspot.com/2018/09/... ...more
Garrett
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Just really weird. Good weird, and I wish I could have read this in one sitting, but that's really not how I did it. Not saying more.
Heather
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
The 2 stars are because the book was written and that is something i've not done. However, i did not enjoy this at all. It started out pretty cool and creepy and then just ended up a confusing mess. I really am not sure what happened. The cover art is great and the synopsis sounds like it would be terrifying but it wasn't. I was glad to be finished.
Michael J.
I reserved this book at my local county library after reading a favorable review in Rue Morgue magazine. The premise seemed weird and refreshing, a spin on the home invasion/body snatcher/alien intruder tropes.
The premise is what hooked me as it felt fresh and original, and that is the main reason I rated this book three stars instead of two. About two-thirds into the book it evolves from a frightening horror story into a dark fantasy that ups the weird ante but results in removing the fear el
Jessie (Zombie_likes_cake)
Creepiest cover of the year award for "Bedfellow". Also, weirdest book of the year award. Have you ever read a book that you very much enjoyed but at the same time really didn't understand? "Bedfellow" is that book for me.

The premise of a person/ creature climbing through the window of a family's home and then making himself at home there by slowly changing everyone's memory until they think he/ it was always part of their lives and can't see him for what it really is. I love the concept of "Unc
kelly
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, fiction, 2019
Ok, the cover of this was creepy enough to make me pick it up at the library and begin reading it, but then it got really really weird and confusing, so I began skimming pages in the last quarter.

In "Bedfellow," a typical nuclear family, the Lunds (Dad, Mom, daughter, son), is unexpectedly visited by a strange intruder who slides into their living room window one night. The family members react to this is in calm, nonchalant way that immediately makes you uncomfortable as hell. The father, Hend
Caitlin
Bedfellow is the story of a family, who face a home invasion one night. Whatever enters their home sets up residence not only in their home, but also their minds.
This book has alternating perspectives from all four family members. It starts with how they each react to the home invasion, and then continues rotating between them, showing the increasing presence and alterations to their minds.

This book is hard to review, because it is an incredibly odd book. There's not a lot to say without spoili
Milliebot
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I’ve read one of Shipp’s other books, The Atrocities, and my review of that started with: Not really sure what I just read. The ending had me like ??? But this was super atmospheric and fairly creepy and much like reading a nightmare, but not so confusing that I was pissed.

That’s pretty much how I feel here. I love the concept of a strange man appearing and then doing something to the family’s memories to make himself part of their lives. At first he’s a stranger they met at a restaurant, then
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The Toll
  • We Sold Our Souls
  • In the House in the Dark of the Woods
  • Skin Deep (Harry Hendrick, #1)
  • The Return
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • The Boatman's Daughter
  • Alice Payne Arrives (Alice Payne, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Spindrift House
Jeremy C. Shipp is the Bram Stoker nominated author of Cursed, Vacation, and Sheep and Wolves. His shorter tales have appeared or are forthcoming in over 50 publications, the likes of Cemetery Dance, ChiZine, Apex Magazine, Pseudopod, and Rosebud. While preparing for the forthcoming collapse of civilization, Jeremy enjoys living in Southern California in a moderately haunted Victorian farmhouse wi ...more