Start by marking “The Mamba Mentality: How I Play” as Want to Read:
The Mamba Mentality: How I Play

The Mamba Mentality: How I Play

In the wake of his retirement from professional basketball, Kobe “The Black Mamba” Bryant has decided to share his vast knowledge and understanding of the game to take readers on an unprecedented journey to the core of the legendary “Mamba mentality.” Citing an obligation and an opportunity to teach young players, hardcore fans, and devoted students of the game how to play ...more
Published February 28th 2020 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Mamba Mentality, please sign up.
Jeet Das The first part of the book would be good for anyone, as it just talks about his philosophy in general. The second half focuses more on specific player…moreThe first part of the book would be good for anyone, as it just talks about his philosophy in general. The second half focuses more on specific players that he's played with and against, and it might be tougher to get through that if you aren't familiar with those players and aren't a basketball fan. But the first part is definitely worth it.(less)

Start your review of The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
Brandice
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love sports and basketball is my favorite, by far. I have always admired Kobe Bryant for his drive and commitment to the game, so I couldn’t wait to read The Mamba Mentality, which is filled with awesome photos throughout his NBA career.

Love him or not, there’s no denying Kobe’s talent as a basketball player. I was able to see him play in his final season (2015-2016), and since he retired, I have also admired the variety of ventures he’s continued to pursue. Whether or not you’re an athlete,
Luke_C1
A recurring theme in this amazing book is that the mental game is just as important as the actual game. Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest basketball players to step foot in the NBA, shows the reader the Mamba Mentality. The mentality of going into a game thinking,"I'm scoring on anyone who guards me" gave Kobe an edge over his opponents. Kobe's will to get to the gym everyday before anyone else gave him an advantage. Kobe, as a rookie, came into to the league cocky. As Kobe matured, he became con ...more
Toni
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kobe explains his style of play and his attention to detail. He's not only a fierce competitor but a lifelong student of the game. He practiced, planned, prepared for every move he made, as well as every teammate and competitor.

Great sports-players, like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Kobe Bryant completely give themselves to their game, their sport, and every aspect it involves.
Very interesting and readable book.

PS. The pictures are excellent!

PSS. Kobe is a great reader and a member of GR. He
Shane Parrish
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"If you really want to be great at something, you have to truly care about it. If you want to be great in a particular area, you have to obsess over it. A lot of people say they want to be great, but they’re not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve greatness. They have other concerns, whether important or not, and they spread themselves out. That’s totally fine. After all, greatness is not for everybody."
Yusra  ✨
Jan 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
this news is unbearably sad. you didn’t need to watch basketball to see that kobe bryant was a great human being. his daughter was the future of women’s basketball. prayers to his family, and to all the other families affected by the crash.
Jonathan Tennis
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed watching Kobe play basketball. I picked this up because I was curious what he had to say about the “Mamba Mentality.” This book was not a normal sportsball player memoir. It’s a picture book with some writing about some of the players and coaches Bryant experienced in his 20 years as a professional. Enjoyed this but can’t give it more than 3 stars because I was hoping for something more than just some pics and a sprinking of Bryant’s wisdom. Upon further reflection, this is what I shou ...more
Reed Schafer
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was a sad, yet, fitting day to sit down and read this. Kobe is not the greatest basketball player of all-time, but the argument could be made that he was the greatest competitor of all-time. This book allows one to look into the mind of one of the greatest to ever play the game of basketball. His work ethic, leadership, and drive to become the greatest were inspiring. Nothing but respect for the Black Mamba 🐍.

Today is just another reminder of how fragile life is and how we have no room to boa
Tomas Laurinavicius
A look into the mind of one of the greatest athletes ever

Since I was a kid, I was impressed by Kobe. The way he played, the way he honored his craft. Reading about his dedication and unbeatable mentality gave me a lot of inspiration. This book from Kobe himself explains how he became the legend. It’s also fun to see photos documenting his journey.
Cesar Sweets
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book and so inspirational!! One of my favorite players of all time and muses! 👌🏼💯🙏🏼🙌🏼💪🏼 #mustread #mambamentality
Donna Hines
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read that portrays not only the love of the game but the insight to succeed in both personal and professional endeavors.
First off, my heart goes out to all those involved in the sudden loss of not only Kobe Bryant but his daughter and all those families who lost loved ones that day.
The Mamba Mentality was not only how he played but how Kobe lived his life.
Everything he did he did with 100% all in mode and it's the only way to be successful.
His insight was similar
Mimi
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A memoir written by Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest masters of the game of basketball. Although, not what I expected to read, I enjoyed reading it and learning more about Kobe and the Mamba Mentality. The memoir starts with a Forward written by his teammate, Pau Gasol, and an Introduction by his coach, Phil Jackson. Meticulously, Kobe describes the game of basketball as a process and as a craft. He gives the reader the chance at a closer look at what he did to prepare for each game, how he gain ...more
Lee Richardson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Read this a week after Kobe's death. The reaction to Kobe's death has been astonishing. It's just amazing how influential Kobe was in so many people's lives, and how many people loved him. Seeing the crowds in Los Angeles has blown my mind, and I can't of anyone else who is so beloved. It feels like the world stopped operating for the week to honor Kobe, and that feels right to me.

As for the book, it's an incisive look at Kobe's approach to life. His dedication to greatness is unparalleled. He
Ryan  Zhang
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the whole world knows, Kobe Bryant may as well be one of the best players in the history of the NBA, and as he passed away a few months ago, this book can really write down the feeling of playing on the court with Kobe and also shows the way he plays.
His crazy work ethic is the main part of this book and it is also the theme. This is a thing that everyone would want to pass on in the Mamba mentality. He will always be the first in the gym and the last out. In the book, it also stated that hi
Stephanie Peterson
Well... I normally don't read this kind of book. First of all I'm a fiction reader and also prefer thrillers. I bought The Mamba Mentality for my 16 year old son who is an athlete. He loves all sports and is a basketball player. He often gets in his own head and I thought this book would be a great read for him. Once Kobe passed away I wanted to read the book so that my son and I could discuss the book together. Kobe had an amazing drive and did a lot of sacrificing to live the life he did, with ...more
Niko
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
thank you kobe for letting me know how to guard lebron james

EDIT: this is so much different considering his death. this is a book to appreciate the amount of work and effort he put into mastering his craft.
Randell Green
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must for any NBA fan. A quick read filled with brilliant pictures. Completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. 🏀🏀🏀
Soul
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: down-the-road
Haven't read it yet , but he was a great champion and a fine ambassador from the sports world . The 'star' athletes of today could learn a lot from how he lived his too-brief life . Blessings to the family and friends of this upright man .
Jake Lyda
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“A man possessed” is the only way to describe Kobe Bryant. His academic obsession of the game of basketball is nothing short of legendary, and his insight was insanely valuable to a guy who loves the sport almost as much. It also gives me great confidence when some of the nuances and processes Kobe went through as an NBA basketball player are the things I do before, during, and after my weekly scrimmages. Thank you for your wisdom, Mamba.
Zach
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected when I picked up this book. Short, choppy tidbits from different aspects of Kobe’s on the Court relationships, injuries and training mixed together with tons of photographs. Much different than most sports biographies. Good read for Kobe fans & basketball fans. ...more
Namra
May 29, 2018 marked it as to-read
Really look forward to this book!!! 💯
Enjgaa
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2020
Олон жил фантазигаа чимсэн одынхоо бичсэн номыг уншлаа. Сагс сонирхдог, тоглодог, #Кобигийн арга барилыг өөртөө суулгая гэсэн хүн бүрт зориулсан ном байна. Хэрхэн өдрөө эхэлдэг, яаж бэлтгэл хийдэг, тоглолтын дараа хэрхэн зурагнууд дээр ажиллаж өөрийн алдааг тодорхойлдог, түүнийгээ засахыг тулд хэрхэн бэлтгэл хийдэг, бусдаас ямар ямар техникийг суралцсан, 20 жил талбайд байх хугацаандаа тамирчидтай хэрхэн өрсөлдөж, хамтарч байснаа цөөн үгэнд тодорхой бичжээ. #TheMambaMentality

It is book for perso
Elijah
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a good book. My only complaint was the language, otherwise, this book was great.
Bharath S
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kobe is one of the greatest basketball players to play the game. I've always admired him for his unquenchable thirst to become better with each game, each play, and each day. He termed this mindset as "The Mamba Mentality". In his words, it means “just trying to get better every day at whatever you're doing”. Committing & falling in love with the process and not the result.

This book is Kobe in his truest and rawest form. He tells his story in an honest, unapologetic way that pierces our soul wit
Greg Dietz
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing dive into the world of Kobe done in a succinct way that keeps you turning the pages and wanting more. His psyche is one that is fascinating to explore and the photos that accompany his stories are outstanding. A life taken far too soon. RIP Mamba
Gedi Siuskus
Austin
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mamba Mentality was a satisfying read for an avid basketball player and fan. I would have liked the book to go into some more lower level/details of Kobe's routine/preparation, but the many short anecdotes were still enjoyable and insightful. Much inspiring life advice embedded inside as well. A fun memoir to a basketball legend.
Kat Masen
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's easy to see how his dedication made him the greatest player he could be. I enjoyed the read and focused more on the elements of how he never gave up.
Aaron
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was great, it came with lots of inspiration and knowledge.
Isaac Thomas
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s not a memoir or biography, but it’s a quick read loaded with inspiring quotes about work ethic and competitiveness. I will probably steal some of my favorite quotes next time I need to give a fiery pre game speech.
Jeremy Dong
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Review of The Mamba Mentality: How I Play 1 5 Aug 19, 2019 12:01PM

• Training Camp (Wizenard, #1)
  • Driven from Within
  • Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success
  • Shaq Uncut: Tall Tales and Untold Stories
  • LeBron, Inc.: The Making of a Billion-Dollar Athlete
  • Legacy and the Queen
  • The Jordan Rules: The Inside Story of One Turbulent Season with Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls
  • Hurricanes: A Memoir
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • Kobe Bryant: The Inspiring Story of One of Basketball's Greatest Shooting Guards (Basketball Biography Books)
  • Jay-Z: Made in America
  • KD: Kevin Durant's Relentless Pursuit to Be the Greatest
  • The Victory Machine: The Making and Unmaking of the Warriors Dynasty
  • The Art of a Beautiful Game: The Thinking Fan's Tour of the NBA
Kobe Bryant was an Academy Award–winning storyteller and content creator. He spent his days building stories to inspire the next generation of athletes to be the best versions of themselves. Kobe was a five-time NBA champion, two-time NBA Finals MVP, NBA MVP, and two-time Olympic gold medalist. He hoped to share all he learned with young athletes around the world.