Start by marking “Too Much Lip” as Want to Read:
Too Much Lip

Too Much Lip

Too much lip, her old problem from way back. And the older she got, the harder it seemed to get to swallow her opinions. The avalanche of bullshit in the world would drown her if she let it; the least she could do was raise her voice in anger.

Wise-cracking Kerry Salter has spent a lifetime avoiding two things – her hometown and prison. But now her Pop is dying and she’s an
Published July 30th 2018 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Too Much Lip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Much Lip

Michael Livingston
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brilliant portrait of trauma, dysfunction, resilience and strength. Lucashenko writes about tough people who've had tough lives and brings a sharp, funny eye to difficult topics.
Lucia Boxelaar
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very confronting read. I particularly appreciated Lucashenko’s powerful use of language to portray the key characters in this Aboriginal family and their ongoing - often violent - struggle to carve out their lives, to maintain their connection with the land, and with each other. The book shows how the daily lives of this family - particularly the women - continue to be shaped by our colonial history of violence, dispossession, stolen children, etc. I hope many people get to read this book.
Cass Moriarty
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I finished reading Too Much Lip (UQP 2018) by Goorie author Melissa Lucashenko, and have spent yesterday and today fiddling around with this review, adding bits here and there, trying to get it right and not feeling very successful. This is a hard review to write, or rather, it is difficult to express myself in the right way.
This book is good. Very good. It is an unflinching, raw and honest exploration of one modern-day (fictional) Aboriginal family, with all its flaws and problems. But it
Lisa
As Bundjalung woman Melissa Lucashenko’s latest novel Too Much Lip draws towards its climax, Black Superman counsels his sister not to abandon her family. And he says these words that are a metaphor for unfinished business in Australian Indigenous affairs:
‘Thing is, you run now, after last night, and it’ll haunt you forever. You can go as far away as you like, but the past always comes along for the ride.’ (p.255)

As I write this, events in Canberra are drawing to a climax too, and it’s possible
Judy
Australian true history written as fiction
My dream - that every person in Australia has the courage to read this, to be totally and absolutely confronted by the rawness of the power, pain, resilience, hope and potential of this story. That ever reader gets to the Afterword on the last page and accepts the truth in this story and then honours it by reflecting on what they can change.

As with Melissa Lucashencos' previous novel, Mullumbimby, the use of the mix of languages shifts the readers aware
Zora
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this - a total page turner, I laughed, I cried and occasionally I went ‘oh come on!’ because some bits should not have worked but they did. Lucashenko is a fearless and entertaining writer and on the strength of this book writing some of the most essential fiction in the country. I want to read more fiction from her, and about contemporary Aboriginal Australia, pronto.
Sherry Mackay
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Not sure what to say about this one. I loved her previous book mullumbimby but this one took me a very long time to warm up to-
In fact only in the last few pages did I like it. The author is indigenous so I guess she is allowed to speak harshly of her own people. Me being white would not be allowed to do so. She gives us a really brutal insight into indigenous Australian culture, nothing spared. These characters are not particularly nice or charming or honest - the protagonist is a thief for a s
Rashida Murphy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"They say every child grows up in a different version of the same family." This statement by Kerry Salter, the protagonist of Melissa Lucashenko's latest novel, is one among several 'truths' good fiction delivers. And this is truth telling as fiction at its best. Tough, grim, darkly funny, this novel ought to become required reading in university English courses. The writer is a contemporary Bundjalung woman telling the story of colonialism and its aftermath through the lives of Aboriginal men, ...more
Rhonda
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shattering, loving, wise, funny, intensely Australian, an open door to First Nation today and where and what they came from and what they endured at the hands of many non First Australians - no punches pulled but about love and connection too, a gift.
Bronwen Heathfield
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved how this story unfolded. The strong indigenous culture, the mystery, the relationships and the environment. Well worth reading
Aislinn
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard boiled detective novel with a tough, flawed heroine... and so much more.
Elisa Grassa
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deadly
Veronica
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Joy and pain and toughness. So good.
Johanne
Oct 27, 2018
Alya Gordon
Aug 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Melissa Lucashenko is an Australian writer of European and Goorie heritage. She received an honours degree in public policy from Griffith University in 1990. In 1997, she published her first novel Steam Pigs. It won the Dobbie Literary Award for Australian women’s fiction and was shortlisted for both the New South Wales Premier’s Literary Award and the regional Commonwealth Writers’ Prize. Steam P ...more