Start by marking “How to Fracture a Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
How to Fracture a Fairy Tale

How to Fracture a Fairy Tale

Fantasy legend Jane Yolen presents a wide-ranging offering of fractured fairy tales. Yolen fractures the classics to reveal their crystalline secrets, holding them to the light and presenting them entirely transformed; where a spinner of straw into gold becomes a money-changer and the big bad wolf retires to a nursing home. Rediscover the tales you once knew, rewritten and ...more
Published November 15th 2018 by Tachyon Publications (first published November 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about How to Fracture a Fairy Tale, please sign up.
Sionna I'd lean more towards adults, but some older teens might enjoy it.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.33 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description

One year after Tachyon Publications published The Emerald Circus, a collection of fantastical short stories by Jane Yolen based on various fairy tales and legendary people (both fictional and real), it has followed up with a similar collection, How to Fracture a Fairy Tale. Like The Emerald Circus, this is a compilation of Yolen’s older, previously published stories, spiffed up with new author’s notes in which Yolen briefly discuss each story
Mel (Epic Reading)
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
So I’m a little frustrated. I read an eARC of this that had no linked table of contents and so I didn’t know there were authors notes to go with every story at the back!! I would have liked these at the beginning or end of each story within the book context. Especially because some of the notes Jane Yolen made at the end of the book are key to understanding her decision to include the story or why she changed what she did.

The Tales
There are a lot of fairy tales in this book. Some are multi-sect
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

How To Fracture A Fairy Tale by Jane Yolen is a collection of classic fairy tales retold with added twists.

Pros:

❇I'm a sucker for retelling's, so of course I requested this because it sounded right up my alley. I loved the writing, and some of the twists I definitely did not see coming.

Cons:

❇Like any short story collection this one had it's ups and downs. Some of the stories in this were brilliant, but I
Jessica
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fairytales, own
Absolutely stunning stories, one of the best collections I've read in years! Jane Yolen knows how to capture your imagination from the first line, and keep it, whether the story is two pages or twenty. I'd read a few of these before, like Sleeping Ugly, and was delighted to have it collected here (I really must get the illustrated edition for my kids!) and there's a shortened version of her wonderful novel Snow in Summer to start it all off. Interesting how well it worked as either a story or a ...more
Carole P. Roman
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wickedly delightful and full of fun, Jane Yolen takes the world of fairy tales and stands them on their heads. No one is safe, whether they are trolls, dragons, or flighty beauties. Cinderella, Snow White, and other iconic folktales are dissected and in some cases, have a new modern spin. Abused princesses are empowered by their brains rather than a saved by a man. Jewish, Asian, and Greek myths and stories are dusted off and given a modern treatment that makes them both ironic and more acceptab ...more
Jenna Bookish
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this anthology, making it difficult to give it an overall rating that feels accurate. There were a few stories that I really enjoyed, but a few too many that never sufficiently grabbed my interest. I love fractured fairy tales, and think I was looking for more drastic changes from the original source material in some cases. What's the point of writing a retelling without turning the whole story upside-down and making us think about it in a totally new light?

description

One thing
Faith Simon
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories, ranging from lush to outwardly bizarre takes on classic well-known tales. I liked it a lot more than I originally thought that I would. But as with books consisting of short stories, I find it difficult to review the book as a whole, so instead, I'm going to highlight a few of my favourite stories from this collection.
The Bridge's Complaint.
I really enjoyed this one, and it was unique because of its central point of view, that which is from an
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
3,5 stars
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warnings Concentration Camps, Rape, Body Shaming, Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse, Incest

I will admit that I have never read anything by Jane Yolen before. But when this cover with that title, I mean how can you pass up How to Fracture a Fairytale as a title, passed me by I knew I had to give it a shot. This book is a collection of short stories Jane Yolen has read over the many yea
The Captain
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this short story collection eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

While I have read many of Jane Yolen's works, most have been her novels.  It has only been recently that I have been reading her short stories.  This collection has 28 varied tales.  In addition, the end of the book has author reflections on how the stories came to be along with some of her poetry.

This collection didn't resonate with me as much as
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out my blog, The Bent Bookworm!*~

First of all, I'm a complete sucker for fairy tale retellings. All the more when they aren't your typical, prince-rescues-princess-and-they-live-happily-ever-after type stories. I love a good twist and a dark underside to fairy tales (which, if you read a lot of the ORIGINALS...was often the case!). When I saw this book was a collection of short retellings I immediately requested it and was absolutely delighted to receive it just a few days before it came
Steff
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
How to Fracture a Fairy Tale by Jane Yolen is one of those once in a lifetime books you’ll probably love but never fully reread. My anticipation of this book was immense, largely due to the subject matter of this book and the introduction written by the wonderful Marissa Meyer. I admit, I did squee a bit upon seeing her name. Yolen does a fantastic job of reworking the stories from this world’s past, weaving deeply moving and poignant reimaginings of the tales many of us know and love.

And they
Tahlia
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...

*I was provided with an ARC of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for my honest opinion. All quotes used may be subject to change upon publication.

This is going to be a very short review as I was deeply disappointed by something in this book, that led me to DNF it, which is a first for a book I’ve been sent for review. I started out really enjoying this, I’d been rating each of the short stories individually and they were either 4, 4.5 or
Tessa
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was provided to me from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I swear on my bookshelf that this has not affected my opinion of the book.

For better or worse, fairy tales are ingrained into our society. The ideas of a Prince Charming or a Fairy Godmother, along with hundreds of other character archetypes and tropes, are derived from these classic tales. However, not all of these tales have happy endings or even necessarily apply to today's world.

The point of How to Fracture a Fairy
Denise
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
2.5-3 stars

I have fond memories of reading Jane Yolan's books many years ago and so was drawn to this new collection of 'fractured fairytales,' offered to me by NetGalley in return for an honest review. I am also fond of retellings of traditional tales and saw several titles right away that made me smile: Happy Days in the Old Wolves Home, Big Bad Wolf stories from another point of view, and Green Plague, a retelling of the Pied Piper with amphibians.

There are about two dozen short stories and
Cristina Quattrone
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really got me thinking about my Traditional Lit unit where students will read many versions of Cinderella and then create their own fractured version. These stories and poems had me longing for a secondary classroom so I could share some of the deeper meditations with teenagers. A great teaching tool for secondary ELA teachers with rich content.
Jypsy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
How To Fracture a Fairy Tale is a clever and fun read. It's perfect for fans of ya fantasy. Interesting story with great characters.
Sha
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, retelling, 2018
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Tachyon Publications and NetGalley. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book. The copy I am reviewing is an Uncorrected Digital Galley.

How to Fracture a Fairy Tale is a collection of twenty-eight revamped, refined, and rewritten fairytales. Before reading these tales, I had not heard of Jane Yolen, though
Brooklyn Tayla
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads, fantasy
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for an eARC of this book to review, an exciting premise, short stories that are all a twisted, or fractured, reimagining of a classic tale, however, I just couldn't connect to the writing and the stories I enjoyed weren't many. Unfortunately for me, I felt like this was repetitive and followed the same pattern after a while, and it just became tiresome.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
*I received an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I liked this a lot! As usual, I rated each story in the collection, and averaging those ratings you get 3.5 stars. I'm rounding that up to 4 stars for the official rating, because some of the ones I rated only one or two stars were super short and so didn't really drag down the collection, plus I like that the book includes some short commentary by Jane Yolen at the end about why she wrote each story and what she chose to change. H
Dani St-Onge (Literary Lion)
For more bookish content go to: http://literarylion.ca/

Yolen definitely has a way of enchanting her audience just like the original tales she's fracturing. When I was younger I used to select fairytales from the library and spend entire days just reading different versions of a story, or huge collections of Grimm, Andersen and Perrault. Yolen's writing gave me those same feelings back but with even darker twists.

I usually select a few favourites when reviewing an anthology, however, despite how
Lisa
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been a fan of Jane Yolen’s short fiction for many years, so it was a delight to sit down with this new collection of re-told fairy tales.

It can be a bit difficult to review short fiction collections as there will be, inevitably, some stories that connect more with you as a reader than others. I find that a true here as well, but that comes down to personal taste; every story was well-crafted and what I’ve come to expect from Jane Yolen’s writing. The stories vary quite a bit in tone, but th
Suzanne
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
This had a nice variety of stories, and the author's notes about how she fractured and why she decided to include each one are very enjoyable. Even though each story is a fairy tale, the tones are very different. We see the Three Billy Goats Gruff from the Bridge's point of view, a non-attractive Cinder-Elephant, and trips to a concentration camp. I liked the creativity of the approaches, and enjoyed reading the book.
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: publisher-sent
I haven't read a Jane Yolen book in a long time and she is a master at telling stories. I loved the fact that this was a combination of some of her old stories and new ones. Some gripped me more than others. I'll admit some of the lyrical existential ones were over my head, but I loved the other ones especially the ones with a funny twist at the end. Yolen has always been one of my favorites so I'm so happy to see her coming out with another book.
Tara
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, fairy tales for the modern woman. Those tales you thought you knew didn’t happen the way you thought. These tales were inspired and brilliant. I loved the feminist twists. A great read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Eva
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
I read this book for two reasons: Marissa Meyer wrote the introduction, and fairy-tale retellings are one of my favorite things EVER.

WHAT I LIKED:

-Jane Yolen's writing is beautiful. I wish I could write like her. These fractured fairy-tales are written with a simplicity that stuns.
-There were several lovely, clever retellings. I'm not going to list titles because everyone will find different favorites but I'll just say that I really enjoyed many of these stories.
-Especially the ones involving th
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I received a copy of How to Fracture a Fairy Tale through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

How to Fracture a Fairy Tale is an absolutely astonishing collection from the mind of Jane Yolen. If you’re a fan of fairy tales, or reading twisted versions of them (not to say that the original versions aren’t exceptionally twisted to begin with…) then this is something you may want to look into. Yolen has mastered the art of looking at a story in a different light, breathing new life
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
Don’t you hate when you request a book on NetGalley (or any ARC reviewing site) and the book turns out not to be as good as you were expecting? Well, that’s what happened with this book. I actually didn’t finish this book. I didn’t finish it because I got bored. The whole book is basically retellings of all the fairytales we grew up hearing with a few twists here and there. When I requested this book on NetGalley, I thought it sounded really good and different. I wasn’t wrong, this book is diffe ...more
Robin Bonne
3.5 Stars. I haven’t read anything by Jane Yolen since middle school, but I remember that I had enjoyed her writing, so I was excited to receive these reimagined fairytales and fables. Most of the stories are very short and fast reads.

The stories I enjoyed most were ‘The Bridge’s Complaint,’ ‘Granny Rumple,’ and ‘Sleeping Ugly.’

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of this ebook in exchange for an unbiased review.
Becca
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Note: I received a copy of How to Fracture a Fairy Tale by Jane Yolen via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am an absolute sucker for a retelling (as noted, in the fact that I participated in #retellathon this year). So, it should go without saying that I jumped at the chance to get an ARC of How to Fracture a Fairy Tale by Jane Yolen.

Jane Yolen's name sounded familiar to me, but I'm unaware of any of her works & I'd have to admit that this short-story collection was a fantastic
Rain
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually

This book was a joy to read. I really love short stories and the ones I enjoy the most are retellings of fairy tales or those that are reminiscent of the old tales I have known by heart since I was a little kid.

This is the first Jane Yolen book I have ever read and I was gripped by it with the synopsis alone. When I was granted an ARC of this book, I got excited and immediately read it.

I enjoyed reading this book but it had its negative points. There were stories I wasn't abl

• The Flight of Swans
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Victorian Fairy Tales
  • A Feast of Sorrows
  • The Annotated African American Folktales
  • Fairy Tales for the Disillusioned: Enchanted Stories from the French Decadent Tradition
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • Willful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society, Scandal  and Romance
  • The Witch And Other Tales Re-Told
  • Ex Libris: Stories of Librarians, Libraries, and Lore
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • Beware the Little White Rabbit
  • The Peddler's Road (The Secrets of the Pied Piper, #1)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more