Start by marking “Horseman (Crockett and Crane #1)” as Want to Read:
Horseman (Crockett and Crane #1)

Horseman

(Crockett and Crane #1)

A new series from the author of the acclaimed Beaumont and Beasley novels!

In the year 1790, monster hunter Ichabod Crane searched for a mysterious creature called the Headless Horseman. His quest ended in an embarrassing failure that marked his family with disgrace for generations.

Now, in 1891, his descendant Todd Crane is determined to prove that the Horseman is real
Published May 24th 2018

Start your review of Horseman (Crockett and Crane #1)
Angela Watts
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best books ever. Just sayin'. Gosh dang.
-- The writing style was AMAZING. It really set the tone and the POV was always well done and hilarious. But it gave great descriptions so things were soo realistic.
-- The story and plot were E-P-I-C. I love the universe and the history and the magic, how it was all handled... it was insane. The story also didn't get confusing, remaining well paced but always clear.
-- The characters were fantastic. Each of them. Except for the bad guys -- also
Deborah O'Carroll
Someday, I may write a whole review of this book. Perhaps.
In the meantime, all you need to know about it is:

• It's by the author of the hilarious Beaumont and Beasley fairytale-retelling series.
• It's set in an alternate-history, magical version of the wild west, where legends and other tall-tales (like Rip Van Winkle, Paul Bunyan, and--naturally--The Legend of Sleepy Hollow) are history.
• It features a part-time centaur/con-man/monster-hunter by the name of Todd Crane. (He's descended from Icha
Tracey Dyck
Boy howdy, that was a fun romp through the Wild West of Neverica! The humor was spot-on, in the same vein as the Beaumont and Beasley series. The band of misfits (consisting of a centaur, a Marshall, a gorgon, and a dragon) leapt off the page. And the epilogue provided a VERY interesting twist/connection to B&B!

I’m not extremely familiar with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but it was brilliantly played in a way I didn’t expect. So extra points for that.

And I didn’t know I needed a cheerful Quixot
R.J. Rodda
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. Lots of unexpected happenings and funny banter. Oh and Julio!!
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: any story that Kyle Robert Shultz writes is fun. A sense of zany, whacky fun is simply part of Shultz’s signature style. And this story is no exception. But, still, reading all the overwhelmingly positive reviews for Horseman, I feel bad for not enjoying it more than I did. I didn’t really feel invested in the characters, and the work as a whole didn’t seem quite as charming as the Beaumont and Beasley series to me. Perhaps my expectations for this book ...more
Christine Smith
First let it be known that I'm utterly obsessed with the Beaumont and Beasley series. Ya know, the series set in an alternate 1920s-esque world where fairytales are real? YEAH THAT ONE. So when I heard there was going to be a spinoff series set in an alternate 1890s America, there may have been much flailing.

This book was honest to goodness just as delightful as the B&B series. With similar threads and the author’s trademark humor, but also overfilling with new twists and settings and concepts t
Nate Philbrick
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4. I enjoyed Horseman immensely, trust me. The protagonist is tons of fun, Julio is my spirit dragon, and the dialog, true to Shultz form, is spot on, clever, and witty.

I'm giving myself plenty of margin to rate future installments higher because I already know how good the next book(s) is/are going to be. (If you're not reading Deadwood already on Wattpad, you should be).

Some of the side characters weren't quite 'there' for me in this one, which is the only reason I didn't gi
Janeen Ippolito
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever, twisty, and satisfying. Really, what else do you expect from a Kyle Robert Shultz book? Great job!
E.B. Dawson
I loved it so much! This book was full of twists and turns, American folklore, wild adventures, very real and creepy danger, and very very clever storytelling. I think this is one of Shultz' best works and is instantly one of my favorites from him. There is plenty to enjoy in the first half, but the second half is just brilliant and stunning! As usual, Shultz is a very trustworthy guide, even through the darker chapters of the story and the sun shines even brighter at the end. Plus that twist at ...more
Hallie Jenkins
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO FREAKING MUCH!!! I have never laughed as hard reading a book as I did reading this one! The characters are all brilliant and hilarious! (Julio is my personal favorite.) The story was awesome, and I think I’ve discovered a new love for fairytale retellings.
S. M. Holland
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story started out a bit slow, it took me a little bit to get sucked in... but I’m glad I kept going. It was really enjoyable, and in my opinion, Julio carried the comedy. He was by far my favorite. (Read: FAVORITE!!!!!)
I am starting to notice how all of theses stories are tied into each other..making cliff hangars make more since...and leaving me feeling a bit mind blown and excited to start the next one!
emrys merlin
3.5 stars rounded down!

To start out, I wanna say that objectively this is one of Shultz's best works. The way Shultz builds the world of Horseman is truly incredible. He seamlessly pulls off a vivid Western culture combined with a magical society without ever making it far fetched. I fact, I'd say the setting is even more rich and vivid than that of Beaumont and Beasley!
The ideas behind the main cast are also very unique. They're all quite diverse (a Dragon, Gorgon, Marshall, and Con-man) and
Stargazer R. L.
-This is a hilarious, unique, wild-west fantasy novel. Not eveybody's slice of cake, but it sure was yummy to me. :) It does get a little scary and edge of-your-seat at the end however, so it's not all fun and games. But there is a lot of fun.

-Also, there's a Mexican dragon guy who's hilarious. *thumbs up* Just don't get him angry, or he will burn your tacos. And possibly everything else.

-A retelling of the Headless Horseman.

To sum up:
Hilarious.
Fun.
Western + Fantasy = pretty cool y'all.
Tricia Mingerink
Like all of this author's books, this one is filled with humor and fun and crazy re-imaginings of legends and fairy tales. This particular book is set in a re-imagined North America where magic is real and a descendant of Ichabod Crane can shape shift into a centaur and a descendant of Davy Crockett is a US Marshal and things just get really crazy from there.

I read this in one day in nearly one sitting. It is short, action-packed, and funny. :)
J.L. Mbewe
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. I really enjoyed the connection to his Beaumont and Beasley series.
Shannon Hiner
Good fun that was easy to follow and chuckle at, but didn't pull on the heartstrings. Recommended if you just want some easy reading.
Savannah Jezowski
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Fun, snarky, full of adventure and twisted history...and with definite ties to the author’s other works...THAT ENDING!!! Can’t wait to read book two.
Aria Maher
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another Kyle Robert Shultz gem! I love all the little nods to the Beaumont and Beasley series, but this book can definitely stand on its own if you haven't read the other series, which is very nice. Extremely funny and very adventurous and creative. Kyle definitely doesn't write your average fairy tale retelling. I look forward to the sequel.
H.L. Burke
Funny. Excellent cat character and fun dragons and magic ... sometimes the jokes go a little longer than they need to. Like the same gag stretches on for a few paragraphs past when it was funny ... though someone with less SQUIRREL tendencies probably wouldn't feel that way.
J.E.
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Robert Shultz is an amazing author and I think this was one of my favorite books by him. I did love the Beaumonte and Beasley books I've read so far, but I feel like this book had a much richer world to play with. That, and I love horses and dragons. And both featured strongly in this novel. (Tolkien would be proud) There were a lot of twists and turns. Things I didn't see coming. But still, the book flowed smoothly from one scene to another with believable motivations and perfect pacing. M ...more
Beth Wangler
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time reading the audiobook, but not the first time reading the story:

This book never fails to be amazing. I laughed and teared up, sometimes multiple times within the same chapter. The characters are all so unique and well-developed, even for a shorter story, and the creativity fills me with joy.

The narrator, if possible, made it even better. It wasn't how I had originally imagined Todd Crane's voice sounding, but as soon as I heard him I knew it was how I *should* have imagined Todd Crane
Jane
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I accidentally started reading this (yes, that is possible) and once I'd started, I was sucked into the book like nothing else.

From the very beginning, Todd's character voice really snagged me and dragged me in. It was so quirky and fun and I really connected with the characters. Julio was hilarious and precious and dangerous at the same time, and Meg was also precious and also dangerous and I loved the hints at her backstory and just her character in general was so cool. Amy, too, has such a fe
K.L. + Pierce
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-author
Well, Shultz has done it again! Full review coming soon!
Beth Wangler
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Where do I start with this story? It is beautifully-written and beautiful inside. Every time I read a new story from Kyle Robert Shultz's Afterverse, I'm blown away by his creativity in tweaking familiar stories, connecting new and familiar characters, and weaving all of his stories together.

From the opening line, I was hooked. The characters are unique and vibrant and flawed--they jump off the page and take on life of their own. Julio and Meg are basically the cutest thing ever, Todd and
Sarah Ashwood
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most clever and original books I've read in a long time. It was like a comedic-Halloween- western. I don't know how else to describe it. It takes folklore and legend and monsters and historical characters and weaves them all together in a smashing western comedy. Definitely give it a try. You won't be disappointed!
Suzannah
Zany fun! Schultz kept me chuckling throughout.
Carrie-Anne Thomas
That epilogue.

What. 0.0
Allison
/ 3.5 stars

k i got kinda bored in the middle, but the ending totally hooked me and i read the last part of the book so fast.

also, for some reason i can't find "Deadwood" on here, but i read it in a matter of days and GUYS IT'S SO GOOD AND SO FREAKY
Well, that was the book I didn't know I was looking for (and really should've read sooner, but oh well). Horseman is a fabulously fun story featuring Kyle's trademark humor and clever reimaginings of classic fairy tales, legends, and tropes. The lead quartet — Todd, Amy, Julio, and Meg — were engaging and enjoyable takes on some of my favorite character types. The Horseman's true nature (and the way to defeat it) was unique, and the setting was just flat-out fun. And I loved the occasional refer ...more
Cayla Huffman
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second book by Kyle Robert Shultz that I have read, but I think I'm always going to have fun reading his books. For this one specifically I really love the characters and worldbuilding.

On the character side, I really love how they became friends and stuck together no matter the dangers. Todd is probably my favorite outlaw, with his potions, crazy schemes, and big heart. Amy is equally awesome in how she fights to do the right thing, but is also compassionate. Meg is sweet and k
Goodreads Librari...: Merging duplicate listings 3 11 Jun 14, 2018 08:08AM

• Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice (Ice and Fate, #1)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Prince of Stars, Son of Fate
  • The Electrical Menagerie (The Celestial Isles #1)
  • Fairest Son
  • A Royal Masquerade  (The Tales of Ambia #2)
  • Sand and Storm
  • If Wishes Were Curses (The Steel City Genie #1)
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Heart of the Curiosity
  • Between Jobs (The City Between, #1)
  • All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between, #6.5)
  • Ghostlight (The Reflected City #1)
  • Stars Descend (A Game of Stars and Shadows #1)
  • Between Floors (The City Between, #3)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • Dragon School: Episodes 1-5 (Dragon School Omnibus Book 1)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
Kyle Robert Shultz developed the power of creating zany, fantastical worlds in his early teens, when he was bitten by a radioactive book. He is the author of multiple series set in the Afterverse, a parallel universe where myths, fairy tales, and classic stories are real events and part of history. He lives in self-imposed exile in the southern Idaho desert, far enough away from humanity to protec ...more

News & Interviews

“So, let me get this straight,” said Julio, as the wulvers herded us along a moonlit path leading farther into the hills. “You are a centaur—” “Part-time,” I clarified. “—and you have a werewolf sister.” “Wulver. And yes. We took different paths in life.” 3 likes
“Julio started applauding, until he realized that nobody else was. He blushed slightly and dropped his hands.” 2 likes