Start by marking “The Beautiful Ones” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Ones

The Beautiful Ones

(The Beautiful Ones #1)

My mother once said that only the Beautiful Ones survive. This is because, in the war-torn Great South, beauty is a currency, and to have it means you will never have to worry about a thing.

The only problem is: beauty is judged by our capital’s Gentlewomen, and there is no guarantee that we will pass their test.

Every year, the Gentlewomen of the capital leave the Glitt
Published May 26th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Ones

Start your review of The Beautiful Ones
 *:・゚✧ Isabelle (semi-hiatus)
The Beautiful Ones is set in a world where beauty can either make you or break you. Once a year there is an annual Procession in which the Gentlewomen from the country's capital, the Glittering City, come to the outer, poorer regions in order to judge 16-year-old girls on their appearance. If deemed beautiful enough, they will be sent to the Glittering City to live a life of luxury, but also to “ensure the beauty and integrity of the gene pool.”

It’s okay, I don’t really get it either.

Our 16-ye
C.T. Phipps
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

4.5/5

THE BEAUTIFUL ONES by Koby Boye is a Young Adult dystopian novel with a twist. Rather than being about a young action heroine who is struggling against the tyranny of the week, it is the story of a woman who wins a peculiar "beauty pageant" that results in her becoming one of the Beautiful Ones. They are people who have been selected for their strong genetics to be the pampered and beloved wives to a eugenicist experiment in the Glittering City. If th
Coco.V
Feb 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/8/2020)! 🎁
Melissa Levine
Nov 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Emily
Oct 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Extremely slow and repetitive with poor editing.
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
Review originally posted on my blog: I Heart Fictional People

INITIAL THOUGHTS

I was drawn to that beautiful cover! I had to see what this one was about. And when I read the book blurb, I was intrigued by beauty being a currency and valued so highly. Doesn’t sound like the most ideal place to live, but I had to see what happens!

WHAT I LIKED

The premise. These girls live their whole lives striving to be chosen, to be selected as a Beautiful One. They don’t exactly know what awaits them if chosen, bu
Jasmine
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it
The Beautiful Ones is the first book in a series, and it introduces us to Kelendra Byron, a 16 year old girl who dreams of being chosen as a Beautiful One. She lives in poverty, but if chosen, she will get to move to the Glittering City and have everything her heart could ever desire. Thankfully, Kelendra knows she's beautiful, since she's been told that all her life. And, thankfully, she is chosen to move to the City. Unfortunately, being beautiful isn't all it's cracked up to be, and Kelendra ...more
Tina
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
For most of this book, I was ready to give this book a great rating. As I kept reading I started to have a few points I wanted to address. Before I continue with my points I want to say this was not a bad book. I enjoyed most of it but I started to have more and more questions as I went along. (I'll try not to give spoilers.)

1. Kelendra's entire life leading up to the selection is to be deemed beautiful so she can go to the glittering city and marry a handsome man and live a life of privilege in
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Cranky Stars

Imagine if you will a world where being beautiful got you everything you ever dreamed of. A safe secure place to live, people doing your bidding at every whim and the like. That is what this book is about yet it’s much more sinister. I hate to compare it to the Hunger Games but in a way it’s like that instead of going off to fight in some competition there is a competition where your area is judging young girls on their beauty except if you are chosen you are to leave your life b
Ashdust
Jan 31, 2021 rated it did not like it
Just don't get it, sorry.

Not quite sure what to say about this book. It sounded really interesting but I have some serious issues with it.
First the writing style, it's not had as such but I just don't feel any connection to the characters, only way I can explain it is that I don't know how the main character feels by her words or actions, more I know how she feels because I am told she's upset or angry etc.
But the main issue I have though is the whole hypothesis that not only are the leaders onl
Doug Goodman
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What makes The Beautiful Ones such an aptly named book is that Kody Boye has such an exquisite and clean style. His word choice and attention to detail are on point in this bold look at courtship and marriage in a dystopian future. Kelendra is to be presented, along with other girls from her small town that are her age, to The Revered Mother. If she is accepted, she will begin a journey to the Glittering City.

The Beautiful One is YA and scifi and dystopian, but it is also a romance book, just no
Susan Smith
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitely different.

I was asked by family to read this book to see if I thought it was suitable for a 14yr old to read. A family with a very conservative non conformist faith.

I was delighted with the book. It's well written, the characters are totally believable and the storyline makes sense. I had no idea what was going to happen next and just had to keep reading, read it all in one go and then went back and read it again. If anything I enjoyed it more the second time.

I thoroughly recommend th
Sienna S'Zell
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting adventure of a 16 year old girl from the sticks who has been raised in a culture that praises physical beauty. There's a lot of internal dialog throughout the book, which I mostly skimmed, pretty repetitious, but the story unfolds in an interesting and surprising manner. I gave it 4 stars because there needs to be some more careful proofreading. Otherwise, there's a lot of angst, and ends in a cliffhanger, urging us to read the next book. ...more
Karson Lee
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel by Kody Boye is very thought provoking. It is set in a world where to be beautiful is the most highly sought-after commodity. Unfortunately, being beautiful is not quite as glamorous as they've made it seem to those on the outside looking in. No spoilers here, but definitely worth checking out. Can't wait to start the sequel!

I received this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.
Alicia
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written

This was a great powerful start to the books! I jumped right in and was hooked. Love the way it is depicted.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
All her life Kelendra has been taught that beauty is everything. If you have beauty then you will want for nothing and you will be rich. Well that is if you are one of the chosen ones.

Each year girls sixteen and older are to participate in the annual Procession and if chosen will then be taken to the Glittering City to live, marry and raise a family of their own.

This is Kelendra’s lucky year as she is sixteen but will she be one of the chosen. Is Kelendra beautiful enough for the Gentlewomen th
Siana T
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a good book overall. I would recommend it to anyone who likes YA or dystopian books.

What I didn't especially like:

-The main character was a bit passive, especially at first. I did see an improvement in this, especially towards the end of the book.

-Slow beginning. Not boring, just a slow pace, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you like.

-Much information was held back at first, which was a bit frustrating, but as it was given little by little throughout the book, this d
Chantel
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
'The Beautiful Ones' is an interesting take on a dystopian world. Largely reminiscent of 'The Handmaid's Tale' this story takes the reader on a journey from an impoverished area to the opulence of the Glittering City. After Kelendria joins the ranks of the beautiful ones, she leaves her old life behind, all the while unaware that she merely traded one cage for another. Although she comes across as naive and slightly immature, Kelendria is extremely loving and loyal. Readers can't help but root f ...more
Christine
Diana
rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2021
Dsicard
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2021
Lamar
Jun 21, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Other Mrs.
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • The Best Friend (Off Limits #1)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker #1)
  • Pure (Pure, #1)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Far from Home (Far #1)
  • Peas, Carrots and an Aston Martin (Peas and Carrots #1)
  • Encounter (Encounters, #1)
  • The Next Best Thing
  • Haggopian and Other Stories
  • EGYPTIAN MYTHS: YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE YOU DIE!
  • Brightblade (The Morgan Detective Agency #1)
  • Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6)
  • Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • Hell for the Holidays (The Hell Chronicles, #0)
  • Hating the Boss
Born and raised in Southeastern Idaho, Kody Boye began his writing career at fourteen with the publication of his story [A] Prom Queen’s Revenge in the Yellow Mama Webzine.

After being published nearly three-dozen times in various markets, he went independent at eighteen and currently writes horror and dark fantasy fiction.

He is the author of the young-adult science-fiction series When They Came, T

The Beautiful Ones (2 books)
  • The War Outside (The Beautiful Ones Book 2)