Start by marking “Dragon Pearl” as Want to Read:
Dragon Pearl

Dragon Pearl

To keep the family safe, Min’s mother insists that none of them use any fox-magic, such as Charm or shape-shifting. They must appear human at all times. Min feels hemmed in by the household rules and resents the endless chores, the cousins who crowd her, and the aunties who judge her. She would like nothing more than to escape Jinju, her neglected, dust-ridden, and impover ...more
Published January 15th 2019 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Pearl, please sign up.
Sarah They are books that draw on different world mythologies (Mayan, West African, Hindu, etc.) that Rick Riordan edits. He's using his fame to draw…moreThey are books that draw on different world mythologies (Mayan, West African, Hindu, etc.) that Rick Riordan edits. He's using his fame to draw attention to diverse books he lacks the cultural background to write himself.(less)

Rick Riordan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Thousand Dangerous Worlds

Min is just your regular teenaged fox spirit, living with her family on the dusty backwater world of Jinju.

Oh, sure, like all fox spirits, she can change shape into whatever she wants: human, fox, even a dining table. And, yes, she has the power to Charm -- to manipulate human emotions and make people see things that aren’t there. But that’s not very exciting when you’re stuck on the family farm, sleeping every night in a crowded common room with your snoring cousins,
Melanie
I haven't been this excited for a middle grade novel ever. This sounds like literal perfection.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
megs_bookrack
Happy Book Birthday to Dragon Pearl!!!

This releases today, you guys. I am halfway through and having so, so, so much fun reading it. Tons of cool magical concepts, great action, super diverse cast of characters...all the good things!

Thank you Disney Book Group and Rick Riordan Presents! Happy to receive this one early - after how much I enjoyed The Storm Runner, I know I will love this one too!!!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The cover of this book is sooooo cute too!
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Space opera based on KOREAN mythology. My people! Someone hold me.
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

To keep the family safe, 13 year old Min’s mother insists that none of them use any fox-magic, such as Charm or shape-shifting. They must appear human at all times. Min feels hemmed in and resents the endless chores, the cousins who crowd her, and the aunties who judge her. She would like nothing more than to escape Jinju, her neglected, dust-ridden, and impoverished planet. When word arrives that Jun is suspected of leaving his post to go in se
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
"Space opera based on Korean mythology."

EXCUSE ME?! *hits Want to Read until it breaks*
Svenka
May 23, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Space opera based on Korean mythology."

Say no more.

Kath (Read Forevermore)
A super fun and adventure filled book that any middle grade (and older) person will enjoy. I was honestly so happy when I heard about this book and my heart was literally jumping out of me because ASIAN REP IN MIDDLE GRADE, I'M LIVIN!! Also, the plotting, the character development, the writing and everything was honestly phenomenal. It taught important lessons, and like all books from the RRP series - with great humor that made me reminisce my younger years of reading uncle Rick's books.

**An ar
may ☆彡
Aug 19, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a book based on KOREAN mythology!!
I think I’ve been waiting forever for a book like this!!!!!
Beth
Min is a young fox spirit living on a planet that has very limited resources. This means she is growing up relatively poor. When her brother is accused of abandoning his position in the galactic fleet, Min runs away to save her family from her rash actions and to find out what really happened to her beloved brother.

Min makes mistakes, she discovers things about herself and the choices she makes and adjusts to become the person she really wants to be.

Yoon Ha Lee writes a compelling tale of space
Isis
Aw, this is just delightful. Thirteen-year-old Min runs away from her home planet to find out the truth behind her brother's supposed desertion from the Space Forces, and also, she's a fox. In fact this universe is populated with not just humans, but also supernaturals: creatures from Korean mythology who appear in human form but are actually foxes, tigers, dragons, and goblins. They may have magical powers, but they also have human emotions and human fallibility.

It's a fun adventure, suitable f
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
There were a lot of things I really liked about Dragon Pearl, but I was a little bit disappointed, too.  I think it was the pacing more than anything.  Certain parts flowed well, but parts were slow and other parts wrapped up too quickly.  Overall, I enjoyed it though.

Min is a 13 year old gumiho, a fox.  She can change shapes and use her magic to get into people's heads.  She can make them believe that they never saw her or that someone didn't  pass by them.  She is rarely in her fox form, and u
Lourdes
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This got me hooked from the very beginning. Things I loved Min our 13yo main character who's a shape shifting fox spirit, side characters, we have goblins, ghost nonbinary characters and oh everything about it.

Full review coming near publication date.

Thank you to the author and Netgalley for the eArc
I.
I've accepted that I'm just not going to get around to finishing this. It was super creative, and I loved the idea, and I bet it would an awesome book if I was still in the middle-grade age range. I highly recommend it for any kids who love space adventures and awesome magic. This book tastes like grape juice.
♠ TABI ♠
oh my gosh was this book written specifically for me???

foxes + magic + sci-fi + Korean mythology + expansive space worlds + dragons???????????

Renata
Although I've loved all the other Rick Riordan Presents books, I was a little skeptical about this one because the premise seemed like A Lot?? Like I'm here for Korean trickster fox spirits, and I'm here for space opera, but both of them combined seemed like....a lot?? But it actually all worked together really well, and that will teach ME a lesson about doubting Rick Riordan's empire.

It's a really fun story and a great example of how easy it can be to make a story inclusive! (eg in the space a
Lara Lillibridge
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
DRAGON PEARL is a essentially a girl's quest to save her brother, beautifully written as a blend between the old and new—heavily influenced by Korean folklore and set in a distant universe. It actually works seamlessly. The story feels old and new at the same time—grounded in tradition but set in the future. I have no doubt this will be the next Star Wars or other big box office hit someday.

Although this was suggested to me on a Middle Grade list, It feels more YA to me. The protagonist, Min, i
Brittney
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Thanks so much to Disneybooks for sending me an e-arc via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
*this review may contain slight spoilers, first paragraph of review depicts information all found in the goodreads summary

2.5 / 5 stars
Dragon Pearl follows the adventure of Min as she embarks on a quest to seek her brother to clear his name. Min’s brother is condemned for his potential abandonment of his post in the Space Forces. Min does not believe that he is a traitor to his duty, so decides
Celia The Screaming Reader
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this title.

This book follows thirteen-year-old Min who runs away from home in search of her brother who is suspected of desertion from the Space Force. She is also a fox with special powers. Most of the universe in this story have different abilities and appear as a human though they are different animals such as tigers and dragons.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was a middle-grade novel and all the sheer coincidences were
Aaron
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mythical creatures in outer space. A nice blend of fantasy/sci-fi. My only regret is that this a stand-alone. I hope the author will write other tales in the Thousand Worlds.

Can't wait to see what Rick Riordan Presents next.
Monica Edinger
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Excited to see sci-fi in this imprint.
Russell Fox
I read this book because my wife obtained an advance readers copy; it's one of several books that are part of the new "Rick Riordan Presents" series, which consist of YA novels that make use of various mythologies, as Riordan's Percy Jackson and Magnus Chase books have done with the Greek and Roman and the Norse mythos. It's an admirable project, especially since he's reaching out to new authors who are turning their talents to their own ethnic backgrounds, histories, and myths. And I was excite ...more
USOM
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This middle grade mixes Korean mythology, spaceships, and family. Above all, Dragon Pearl is about Min's quest to find her brother. She never believes that he would desert the Space Force. Convinced she can find him, Min goes on a journey to find and clear her brother's name. Over the course of this middle grade, the Korean mythology and space conspiracies are smoothly combined. Min makes a lot of mistakes. In some ways she's reckless and doesn't really think things through a hundred percent bef ...more
Lana
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I was so excited to get this ARC of Dragon Pearl I started it as soon as I got my copy! I am not always into sci-fi stories but I was really intrigued by the Korean Mythology and family theme.

The beginning of the story exploded with excitement and suspense I couldn’t put it down! I loved Min’s ability to shape-shift and charm people to avoid getting caught as she was on her journey to find her brother and clear his name. Her powers were an awesome element to this story, along with her strong spi
Stacie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragon Pearl, by Yoon Ha Lee, is a space adventure for middle-grade readers with roots in Korean folklore. With diverse characters, a cast of creatures which include, foxes, dragons, tigers - and magic - this is a space opera that will have kids hooked to its pages. It is also a story about family, taking chances and - most of all, having big adventures.

Thirteen-year old Min is the book's protagonist, and her family has a secret: they are spirit foxes. Foxes who can wield magic and shapeshift,
Marzie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
Yoon Ha Lee already had me at FOX MAGIC and DRAGONS. This middle grade space adventure story revolves around Korean mythology and sibling love. Min is a bold and brave girl who goes searching to find out what has happened to her older brother Jun, who has been accused of abandoning his post to search for something called the Dragon Pearl. Readers of Lee's Machineries of Empire series will find in contrast to the steep immersion of his usual worlds that this is a very accessible story for childre ...more
Sofiya Pasternack
What I Liked
So many cool things about this book! The weaving in of Korean mythology in a future other-planet setting was done very well. I’ve seen a lot of books with gumiho mythology in them lately; this book skips past the part of the mythology that paints them as trickster ladies but incorporates other common threads of gumiho lore. There are also goblins, ghosts, dragons, and tigers as mythical creatures in this book, all in space, and the two joining was just really cool. Min is a likeable
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Yoon Ha Lee is an American science fiction writer born on January 26, 1979 in Houston, Texas. His first published story, “The Hundredth Question,” appeared in Fantasy & Science Fiction in 1999; since then, over two dozen further stories have appeared. He lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.