Jump to ratings and reviews

Little Bear Dreams

A cozy and whimsical ode to polar opposites

Of what do little bears dream? Bright snowflakes perhaps... Or dark starry nights. Hot chocolate... Cold pizza. Straight horizons... And curly moustaches.

This gentle and imaginative tale takes readers on a journey of wintry opposites, including the expected and the unexpected. The sky's the limit when a little polar bear dreams, safely curled up with her mama. Perfect for bedtime or anytime, this snuggly read-aloud will both amuse and calm its young audience.

Ages 1-4

40 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Paul Schmid

20 books47 followers
Paul Schmid is an author and illustrator of children's picture books.
He lives on Whidbey Island in Washington State. You can visit him online at www.paulschmidstudio.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (5%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 16 of 16 reviews
Profile Image for Laura Harrison.
975 reviews111 followers
January 18, 2019
Beautiful, gentle and fun. Lots of polar bear/baby polar books out there. This one is unique and extra special. Great as a winter or anytime read.
Profile Image for Raven Black.
1,853 reviews5 followers
January 4, 2019
I always dislike when a book I want to like does not "make it" for me. I know that there was a lot of work and love put into this book, and it will be perfect for someone, I am just not that someone. This would be perfect in a medium sized board book format.
Profile Image for Kirsti Call.
Author 6 books57 followers
December 6, 2018
Beautiful illustrations and spare text make this a lovely bedtime book for any toddler. Little polar bear dreams of "big love...and small friends" and "straight horizons...and curly mustaches." These unexpected opposites make for a fun read aloud.
Profile Image for Nancy.
1,077 reviews15 followers
January 20, 2019
The kindergarteners liked it lots. I love the opening question, "Of what do little bears dream?" because of how it opens us up for writing. The pictures are exquisitely bold. (And the kids love the moustache page, but I don't get it. I mean, I get it. I just don't get it.) It's a wonderful echo of Elizabeth Cody Kimmel's What Do You Dream? (and my unpublished homage to hers, I Asked My Hand Its Dream -- send for your own copy today!).

After reading this, in our writing time, Emery, age 6, wrote:

Mom, mom, of what do you dream?
I dream about the sun being warm in Florida.

The sun dreams about the moon
because the moon loves the sun
because the sun is light
and the moon is dark.

The moon dreams about lunch.
Profile Image for Rebecca Gomez.
Author 5 books20 followers
January 7, 2019
A sweet bed time story that subtly introduces opposites. The beautifully simple illustrations are done in mostly blues that give it a soothing feel.
177 reviews6 followers
February 14, 2019
This whimsical picture book invites readers to imagine what polar bears might dream about. Some of the dreams are logical (bright snowflakes, dark skies), while others are pure silly fun (mustaches and party hats). The book ends with the parent and child polar bears curling up to sleep, making this a perfect bedtime story.

Paul Schmid's illustrations are a real standout here. Understated yet beautiful, they use simple shapes and plain backgrounds to define the polar bears and the arctic landscape around them. The final two spreads, showing the polar bears curling up in a circle that echoes the shape of the moon, are especially effective. The pages are filled with blues, grays, and whites that perfectly evoke the chilly arctic scenery.

The text is rhythmic, again making it a natural choice for bedtime reading. It is also simple enough to use for toddler storytime, with only a few sparse words per page. Another thing I appreciate is that the text introduces opposite pairs (hot chocolate/cold pizza, big love/small friends), although they're not present on every page.

That said, there is still something about this book that just doesn't do it for me, although I'm having a hard time pinning down exactly what. I think a lot of it has to do with how all over the place some of the flights of fancy are. The mustaches and party hats for instance feel like they came out of nowhere and don't really tie in with the rest of the cold/winter/arctic imagery. Young readers will definitely appreciate the humor, though, and there's still plenty to enjoy in this beautiful picture book. :)
Profile Image for Jeri  Goins.
359 reviews3 followers
January 2, 2019
The illustrations of this book are simple and beautiful. It's darling and sometimes unexpected - like the polar bear likes cold pizza!
6,802 reviews24 followers
January 16, 2019
Simple story line for preschoolers and toddlers. Takes the reader through the possible dreams of a little bear as he settles down for sleep.
Illustrations are simple and the text is easy to read.
Profile Image for Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*.
6,001 reviews176 followers
February 5, 2019
Little Bear Dreams by Paul Schmid. PICTURE BOOK. Phaidon, 2018. $18. 9780714877242

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

This book ponders the questions of what bears could possibly be dreaming about. Big snowflakes possibly, but also maybe hot chocolate? Or cold pizza? Straight horizons and curly mustaches? All this is accompanied by simplistic illustrations of a polar bear and her cub.

This book is so delightful because it has such a soothing tone, but with an edge of silly. We all loved the illustrations - especially the final one in which the bear and her cub are curled up to mirror the full moon above.

Jen Wecker, HS English Teacher
Profile Image for Great Books.
2,923 reviews54 followers
Read
May 20, 2019
Using high contrast cool tones, little polar bear and her dad explore together and enjoy favorite things, family and friends in this heart-warming picture book.

Reviewer 3

Displaying 1 - 16 of 16 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.