Start by marking “Why The Face?” as Want to Read:
Why The Face?

Why The Face?

A hilarious guessing game of facial reactions created by the author of bestselling This Is Not A Book

Jean Jullien tickles the funnybone once again with a book of facial overreactions. Faces are presented first, allowing the reader to wager predictions of what may have prompted such an expression, before the dramatic answer is revealed. Why the face? reads the text alongsid
Board Book, 32 pages
Published August 13th 2018 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Why The Face?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why The Face?

Start your review of Why The Face?
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cybils, picture-book
Why the face? Look at the picture. Why is she making that face? What is going on? Can you figure it out?

This board book, with foldout pages and simple text that is assisted by the illustrations, is full of surprises and fun.

Kirsten
Awesome lift-the-flap book about facial expressions. The illustrations are funny and a range of skin tones are present.
Kristina Jean Lareau
A fantastic board book!
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Why the Face? by Jean Jullien. BOARD BOOK. Phaidon, 2018. $15. 9780714877198

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K – ESSENTIAL.

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

One page asks, “Why the face?” and the opposing page has an illustration with someone making a dramatic face. When you lift the flap with the face on it you see what caused the face.
This book is so much fun. It’s fun to guess what the face is for and it’s funny when you learn whats behind the flap. My favorite is a dazed face with technology behind the flap.

Jen We
Jane
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Okay, if you are a parent or grandparent, this is the board book to get for the little child in your life. There are also wonderful board books that have puppets that pop through an opening in each page. I'll find the titles and enter them too.

This one is brilliant. Simple, hilarious and perfect for little ones one to three years old. Fantastic illustrations and pages that open to give labels to the faces. Oh, I love being a grandma to Beatrice...names for Beezus of "Beezus and Ramona" fame.
Alison Reads
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-3
Each page has an expressive cartoon face along with the question "why the face?" Then each flap opens to reveal the impetus for their expression (something stinky, something loud, etc.) along with a short response. I particularly appreciated that the bugs elicited two responses (happy and grossed out) - not everybody is grossed out by bugs/snakes/etc.

Flaps, great expressions, and humor make for a winner. Be prepared to read this one a million times!
Jacki
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, lis622
Why the Face? features a different face on each page, asking the title question. Folding open the center page reveals why the child was making each face.

I really like that the focus of this book is simple and obvious. The silly faces on each of the pages would be a great tool to use for inferring why the child is making the face, as well as what emotion they might be feeling. The bright colors and big font and images are very attractive, with no extra busy feel to the content.
Eva_Amaré
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j
Mama is on a a roll with all these great books lately. Keep it up, we're proud of you. So much fun making all these silly faces and opening the foldout pages to see the cause of said faces. The people don't all look the same either, which mama said is a good thing, because diversity is important. 😊😣😝😔😵😬
Great Books
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bold cartoon drawings of a facial expression on each page will engage both toddlers and adults! Readers are asked to interpret the expression with the repeated phrase, “Why the face?” Foldout pages reveal the amusing stories with simplicity and wit. Fans of “Before & After” will love this for a gift.

Reviewer #4
Rebecca Ann
What an all star book! This was an instant hit with a group of 40 preschoolers. We all made the face, talked about what would cause it and then revealed the answer. Great, bold illustrations with a lot of style!
Eva Little
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mamá says:
Eva is at that point of her life where she not only recognises faces but tries to imitate them. I’d like to think she can recognise some of these faces even though this might be wishful thinking.

Eva says:
I’m a sucker for anything that folds out.
Annie Young
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome board book for facial expressions!!!!
Robin
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun flap book, sure to be a hit with toddlers learning to read facial clues.
Kirsti Call
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and engaging!
Kelly Carey
A great book for exploring facial cues and expressions.
Nancy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun book to use for an interactive Book Talk!
Miss Kelly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Soren loooooves this one.
Melissa
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This might work in toddler time for emotions.
Gabrielle Draxler
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
possibly for a storytime about emotions / expressions / feelings / faces
cute lift the flap concept
Alisha
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Great for emotion recognition. A fun guessing game for toddlers.
Jessica
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My son loved lifting the flaps. Cute way to learn about expressions.
Peacegal
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Wonderfully creative. Kids will be laughing nonstop with this one.
Linda Atkinson
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
First is my favorite ;-)
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-tales
This would be fun for a Toddler Tales that talks about emotions. I like trying to predict what is causing the certain facial expression!
Milton Louie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
What does the face tell you? B
Kelly
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun guessing why the face!
Tori
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A book with fold out pages that first shows a facial expression and then asks "Why the face?" allowing children to guess what caused the expression. Could be fun for toddler storytime.
John
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: addyvi
I like this book because there's lots of flaps. I've looked at this book more times than read it. (Or, I've done it the same much.) Guess which one's better? Both!!!!
MaryLibrarianOH
Cool concept and kids will like the flaps but they might not get the meaning for each one.
Beth
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun toddler book with expressions and easily read faces and emotions.

• Mrs. Peanuckle's Tree Alphabet
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • How to Read a Book
  • Hello Hello
  • Mrs. Peanuckle's Vegetable Alphabet
  • I Will Be Fierce
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)
  • Where Are You From?
  • Paper Mice
Jean Jullien is a graphic designer who works in a wide range of media, including illustration, photography, video, installation, and clothing. Originally from France, he now lives in London and regularly exhibits his work in both places.

News & Interviews