Start by marking “Beyond the Point” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Point

Beyond the Point

In this powerful debut novel set at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, three women—a nationally-ranked point guard, the granddaughter of an Army general, and a rebellious Homecoming Queen—are brought together in an enthralling story of friendship, heartbreak, and resilience.

Duty. Honor. Country. That’s West Point’s motto, and every cadet who passes through its stone
Expected publication: April 2nd 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Point

Kate Quinn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for a cover quote, and will definitely be giving one!

Updated with my quote:

In BEYOND THE POINT, Claire Gibson writes a stellar trio of heroines--women I want to hug, women I want to befriend, women I want to be. Hannah, Avery, and Dani enter the male-dominated world of West Point as very different personalities, but they all prove tough as their Army boots as their friendship weathers the tests of school and life, faith and loss, love and war. An inspiring tribute to female friendship and
Sue
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic debut novel about women and their friendships. It has three realistically written women as main characters who become friends and maintain that friendship during trying times. It's amazing that this is a debut novel and I can't wait to see what this author writes in the future.

Dani, Hannah and Avery meet when they start college at West Point. They all play on the basketball team and become good friends as they struggle with the workloads at West Point. All three of them are f
Katelyn
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-2019
Wow, I raced through this thought provoking novel. Gibson follows three women, all basketball players, as they apply to West Point (just before 9/11), go through college, and deal with life after school. She looks at the struggles they face as women, both in and out of the army. This was an enjoyable read that made me think and exposed me to a lifestyle I don't know much about. I only wish it was coming out sooner (publication date April 2019)!

Highly recommended to fans of Kristin Hannah.
Marcia
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific book! All about friendship, good times, bad times, and life. One of the best I have read in a long while.
Laura Carlton
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
want to know more!!! What happened next?.....Claire Gibson gave me an authentic look at life for women at the Military Academy. These three student athletes allowed a deep friendship bond to grow between them; and the lives they lived after graduation have many lessons/applications for everyone. This story has challenged me to work harder at holding on to friendships rather than letting them simply drift away. The time, love, and commitment that we invest in each other is NEVER wasted-even if ou ...more
Jane
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to LibraryThing and Wm. Morrow for this ARC.

I wouldn't say this is woman's fiction at it's best but it's good fiction.

I give a lot of credit to women who go into the military. It shows how hard the training is, especially for women.

Avery, Hannah and Dani are not only in it together at West Point, their friendship holds the strength of time over the few years this takes place through good times and bad. Their personalities and ethnics and race and religion are all different but it shows ho
Michell
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving and beautiful. A story of the friendship between 3 young women that begins when then enter the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. I enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down.

*Goodreads winner*
Kathryn
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I'm thrilled to be getting this book from the Goodreads giveaway program. I can't wait to get it and to read it!
Kylene
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-on-goodreads
I really enjoyed Beyond the Point. It's the story of three young women who attend West Point, and where their lives lead thereafter. I appreciated that their struggles with life and faith were complex. My only complaint was that I wanted a little more insight into each one of the three main characters, but on the other hand, the book would have been enormous!
Kevin Kern
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kevies-2
This was a very good book and I am glad I won an ARC. I wrote a really excellent, simple review earlier today and the Goodreads site ate it. It does that a lot, to me. So now, I am just going to say if you would like to read a great book about young women army soldiers, this is it. Three young women who go to West Point, as basketball players and a few years after they graduate. This book begs for a sequel, because the characters are so engaging.
exncgal
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-won
Beyond the Point is, on the surface, a story of three female friends who make it through the US Military Academy (aka West Point) and go on with their careers in male-dominated fields. It's a story of their friendship and support of each other through both professional and personal challenges. That doesn't make it sound very interesting, does it? It was much better than this superficial summary!

Over the almost-decade that the story takes place, we meet three beautiful, strong, and flawed women:
Lisa
If I had not known in advance this was a debut novel I would have said, “No way.” The prose is as polished as any seasoned writer. Beyond the Point, by Claire Gibson, takes the reader into the world of West Point where we meet three young women athletes, Hannah, Dani and Avery, recruited to play basketball.

When they first meet they do not become friends immediately. Avery and Dani develop a fierce rivalry on the basketball court. Dani is an incredibly gifted player and is given a place on the v
Patricia
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super Girls. Wonder Women. West Point Women. All performing supremely at academics, sports, strength and endurance. And something else that defies definition. This original story follows Dani, Hannah, and Avery from their high school years to West Point Military Academy and a bit beyond. As members of the women's basketball team they bond and form a friendship that withstands many trials and tribulations.

Throughout history women have been soldiers, but not enough is written about them to do the
Beth Barron
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this read. The characters grow so much that it feels like you're part of them. I can identify with aspects of each of the three women and loved reading their stories.

The jump between year two at West Point and their post-graduation life was a bit of a lurch - I feel like the jump was sudden and a little hard to follow as different events from those missing years surfaced in the plot. I felt like i'd missed part of the book. I wonder if this could have been made into a series? Or perhaps t
Liz Alexander
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winter-2018
I received this as a Goodreads ARC. This book far exceeded my expectations. It follows three women through their time at West Point and life after. My heart broke with them and I loved their relationships. It was a faith based book that was handled beautifully- not heavy handed and cheesy like most that I’ve read (and also enjoyed). Would love to read a follow up of the women’s lives and what comes next.
Kristen
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible book that I could not put down! Claire has the ability to seamlessy bring us inside the close and complex friendships of 3 women, and makes me cherish my own friendships. I am so glad to have read this book and loved every page!
Chockletter
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this novel by Harper Collins Publishers and was asked to give an honest review.

I thought this was a great book! I loved the three main characters and how their lives intertwined into such a strong bond of friendship. My only criticism is that the book is a bit long and wordy. It is 497 pages and probably could have been written just as well at 350-370 pages.
Ilyssa Wesche
There was a LOT of God in this book. Way too much for me. That said, I was expecting something different and that affected my feelings about the book. I would consider this a new adult book, and as such, it was pretty good! Just not what I was looking for.
Nanette
3.5 stars. Reviewed for Booklist.
Sandi
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about women in West Point their troubles Nd good times and then the book goes beyond graduation and training and war I liked it

Betsey Ellis
  • Someone Knows
  • The Memory House
  • Best Supporting Role
  • Before She Was Found
  • The Accidental Giant (Adventures of Kit Bristol #2)
  • The Beautiful Strangers
  • Fearless Mating (A.L.F.A. #4)
  • Incensed (A Taipei Night Market #2)
  • The Sisters Hemingway
  • Menopause Confidential: A Doctor Reveals the Secrets to Thriving Through Midlife
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
  • Heroesville (Heroesville, #1)
  • Lady Rogue (The Royal Rewards #3)
  • The Case of the Sinister Spirit (Jane Gallows Witch Private Investigator #1)
  • The Second Course: A Novel
  • Seriously Hexed (Seriously Wicked, #3)
  • L'imperfetta meraviglia