Start by marking “The Border” as Want to Read:
The Border

The Border

(Power of the Dog #3)

The explosive, highly anticipated conclusion to the epic Cartel trilogy from the New York Times bestselling author of The Force.

What do you do when there are no borders?  When the lines you thought existed simply vanish?  How do you plant your feet to make a stand when you no longer know what side you’re on?

The war has come home.

For over forty years, Art Keller has been on
Published February 26th 2019 by William Morrow

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Border by Don Winslow
    The Border (Power of the Dog, #3)
    Release date: Feb 26, 2019
    One of the most anticipated books of the year

"A big, sprawling, ultimately stunning crime tableau." – Janet Maslin, New York Times

"You can't ask for m

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 877 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 04 - Mar 22, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Border, please sign up.
    Christian While the novel does have plenty of exposition, I would answer "no" to your question. There's just too much story that you'll miss. That's like…moreWhile the novel does have plenty of exposition, I would answer "no" to your question. There's just too much story that you'll miss. That's like watching The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King without having seen the previous two movies, sure you can do it, but you'll skip an awful lot then. (less)
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Redhoss I had forgotten a few, but Winslow does a great job of refreshing your memory.

Char
    THE BORDER is the last book in the POWER OF THE DOG trilogy. All I can say is WOW.

It was everything I hoped for and more. Brutal criminals, sometimes even more brutal law enforcement, international drug wars, politics, and the absolutely fabulous Ray Porter relating it all in that powerful voice of his.

At this point I feel like Don Winslow and Ray Porter are a part of my life. I've spent dozens of hours with them both and to be honest? I'm going to miss them.

Does Art Keller finally get somewhe
    Dave
    Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-borrowed
    The Final Book of the Trilogy

The Border is the final concluding chapter to Winslow’s magnum opus, his trilogy about the long-running drug war. Like the first two lengthy chapters in the trilogy, The Power the Dog and the Cartel, The Border is a broad, sweeping epic telling multiple storylines. However, unlike the first two books, along with the glorious rich characters and history, Winslow included thinly-veiled political smear attacks which were unnecessary to the story and cheapened his art.

I
    Chris Berko
    Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 stars. The first two books in this trilogy were perfection, I removed a half star from this one because there were two or three chapters that I felt did not fit into the overall flow and were a bit unnecessary. That being said I feel that these books deserve a place amongst the very best of crime fiction. More happens in any given thirty pages of these books than in most four hundred page books by anyone else. Gigantic cast of characters, non-stop action and drama, and real life tie-ins to a ...more
    Thomas Pluck
    Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A superlative ending to the Power of the Dog trilogy, The Border is a perfect blend of the first two volumes. The epic sprawl of The Cartel is cut back, though we see a broad swath of the people affected by the drug war, from a migrant child fleeing gang violence, an addict struggling to get clean, dealers and cops and narcos and crooked politicians and bankers who launder money. While it is still entertainment, it is not police state fan fiction. Winslow asks the tough questions of why American ...more
    Brandon
    Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, favorites, fiction
    Twice now, Don Winslow believed he was out.

After finishing 2005’s The Power of the Dog, he’d felt he said his piece on the war on drugs. Then, nearly a decade later, he sat down at a keyboard and started typing what would become his follow-up to The Power of the Dog, The Cartel. After that, he was positive he was finished.

Then came Trump. All the talk about walls. Mexicans as rapists and the never-ending opioid epidemic pushed Winslow back into the world he swore he’d left behind.

Hello darkness
    Debra
    Stephen King recommended series. He tweeted: “These books are coolness.”

He tweeted: "Reading THE BORDER, by Don Winslow (out next month). Man is a balls-to-the-wall storyteller. A harsh, important book. Favorite line so far: "The difference between a hedge fund manager and a [drug] cartel boss? Wharton Business School."

And another tweet: "THE BORDER, by Don Winslow: Everyone in America--left, right, and center--should read this book. It's social fiction to rival Tom Wolfe and John Steinbeck. Foc
    Tom
    Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019-books-read
    Don Winslow brings to a close his two decades obsession with the War on Drugs and the people involved, principally Art Keller and Adan Barrera. The Border has Adan dead (or is he? Adan Vive the people scrawl) and Art fighting a new threat, the people in America who profit by the obscene profits of the narcotraffickers of Mexico and their Latin world co-conspirators.
    Winslow is on a roll here, and is talking about this and other topics in his press tour. The quote he gives the Los Angeles Times il
    Jay Dwight
    Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I can’t imagine anything will beat this as my best read of 2019.

An epic tale. A modern masterpiece from an absolutely brilliant writer.

Following on from The Cartel, Art Keller’s war on the drug trade continues, but now the war has crossed the border into the USA.

So many aspects to this story. The fight for power between the drug empires, the politics and corruption, the police and DEA battles and reluctantly deciding where to turn a blind eye for the greater, long term good.

Even the side sto
    Alex
    Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I thankfully discovered Don Winslow several years ago when the second leg of his now complete The Cartel trilogy, was released. I picked up the audiobook and was captured immediately, taken deep into the world of drugs and its traffickers, and the accompanying violence and corruption. Winslow writes in a compelling almost journalistic style, turning the intrigue of the narcotic trade into a page turner extraordinaire.

Last year, Winslow announced the release of the final chapter in the story of D
    Benoit Lelièvre
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    There's a lot to unpack here.

Perhaps a little too much for a novel that was meant to be an epic conclusion, but you can't blame Don Winslow for throwing everything at the wall. And he throws everything: a heroin epidemic, corrupt politicians, a power vacuum in Mexican cartels, the whole world he spent twenty-years building like a Cathedral-maker is coming undone. And it looks eerily like our world. Perhaps a little too much.

Perhaps a little too much is a recurring theme in this novel. It could
    Diana
    Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    HOLY SH—!!
    Peter
    The Border (2018) follows The Power of the Dog (2005) and The Cartel (2015) as the last in Don Winslow's powerful and disturbing trilogy of the rise of Mexican drug cartels. Each novel follows a generation of Mexican drug families: Dog introduces us to the diverse families that started the industry cocaine and heroin industries from the meager beginnings in marijuana; The Cartel details the generation of consolidators who fought each other for turf and finally, after the bloodshed became too ext ...more
    Alisa
    Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was one of my most anticipated books of the year. I didn't like this as much as the first two books but it was still a good conclusion to one of the most powerful trilogies I've ever read. I felt a little sad at the end because the state of the US's "drug war" is so bleak. I knew that before I read the book of course but the book just drives home the fact that our government and business partners don't really want to stop drugs from coming into our country. They're all making too much money ...more
    Andrea
    Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: audiobook
    So good—I didn’t want it to end. Ray Porter is the shit when it comes to narrating these books—he does an impeccable job reading incomparable material. I may just start the whole trilogy over again...
    Repix
    Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    B-R-U-T-A-L
    Judie
    Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The best book I've read this year and should be best book of 2019. The Border is exceptional, exciting - epic. Bravo Don Winslow.
    milinda johnson
    Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    It was a book that was the worst book I have listened too in years. Preached a lot of hatred towards the American people no matter what color or race they may be. It made me sick to see how this ideology exists in this world. I have six other books by this author but returned this book. It's a hit piece against anyone who is conservative and American. Don't recommend. Save your money
    Stuart Ashenbrenner
    Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    Don Winslow is a master. This is such a great ending to a fantastic trilogy.

This book locks you in within 5 minutes of starting it, and it does not let up until the last words.

I would HIGHLY recommend reading the first two books in the series if you have not done so yet. It will help give this story a lot more power, and it will greatly help with certain understanding of parts.

I've seen some reviews about this book being too political. I agree, it is very political, but then again, the drug war
    The Drowsy Bookworm
    OH MY GOD. I did not even know this was being WRITTEN. I must HAVE IT!
    Steven Z.
    Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    After completing THE FORCE, the second installment of Don Winslow’s THE POWER OF THE DOG trilogy that encompasses the narco-drug world that resides in Mexico, but also a symbiotic relationship with areas of the United States, I looked forward to seeing how his fictional account with elements of fact would resolve itself. The concluding volume, THE BORDER has just been released and it will not disappoint as it maintains Winslow’s breadth of knowledge of the purveyors of the drug trade, the intric ...more
    Ken Kelsch
    Disappointing

I couldn't wait for this to come out. I sped through the first 2 books. This is way too California anti Trump syndrome to ignore. I hate paying to have politics rammed down my throat.
    Leftbanker
    No one cold accuse Don Winslow of a lack of ambition. The scope of this novel dwarfs almost anything we would consider to be a literary novel. Whatever skill he may lack as a wordsmith, he more than makes up for in this shotgun blast of a story that takes down everyone even remotely involved in the drug trade.

Is this book too long at 664 pages? I can’t say that I was completely enthralled with every word of this, but I like the fact that Winslow has enough juice as a writer to make the novel as
    Gerri Sobieray
    Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    This dog bites back

Windows sordid stories of Mexican cultural cruelties backfire as he tries to make a political statement that only CNN and MSNBC viewers will love. Morning Joe should offer him a lot of facetime. Pathetic, sir. Sorry I wasted my time with your progressive drivel.
    Susan
    Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Spectacular! Absolutely spectacular. This guy spins a tale like none other.
    Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
    THE BORDER, which completes Don Winslow’s Cartel trilogy (THE POWER OF THE DOG, THE CARTEL), is not so much a book as a universe unto itself. This sprawling work is several hundred pages long and begs almost impossibly to be read in one sitting. Winslow’s narrative is at times focused with laser-like intensity. At others, John Coltrane’s description of his own music --- taking off in both directions at once --- seems appropriate. It’s difficult to finish the book without comparing it, favorably ...more
    Bradley Valentine
    Brendan Columbus
    Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Don Winslow ends one of my favorite trilogies with an entry that’s not quite as disappointing as The Godfather 3 but more along the lines of Return of the Jedi. Not as good and a bit goofy then the rest of the series, The Border is a very familiar telling of Art Keller once again up against some of the most brutal hombres out there.

The weakest points are the one hundred page recap at the start of the book, it’s been about five years since The Cartel and Winslow thinks we need to retread some old
    Lance L
    Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Together with The Power of the Dog and The Cartel, these books are foundational texts of our time. Some stories are more real than nonfiction, they let later generations breathe the air of a world, live inside a different time. I’ve read innumerable history books, but the deepest thing I know about the Napoleanic Wars is the moment a wounded Prince Andrei looks up to the sky for maybe the last time in War and Peace; I understand the vicious anarchy of the French Revolution by watching it spin do ...more
    Amanda
    Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5 A very fitting ending to one of the best book series I've ever read. Could certain parts have been left out to cut down the 700+ pages? Yes, but I'm glad they weren't. Did Winslow practically slap you in the face with his politics a few times? Yes. But, you write that well and spend twenty years on a trilogy--I think you're entitled.
    Andrew Campbell
    Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Brutal stuff here, and humanity enough to make it all the more tragic. Winslow doesn’t revel in the worst.

The Bobby Cirello thread is particularly satisfying, but there’s a 38-page section set in youth detention which transcends the genre. (You been holding out on us, Donnie?)

Not as wrenching as The Cartel, though frequently as harrowing. Loose ends of this trilogy should linger with readers indefinitely, as a master means them to.
    • Deep River
    • Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
    • The Night the Rich Men Burned
    • GBH
    • I Bastardi di Pizzofalcone
    • Sinner Man
    • What You Break (Gus Murphy, #2)
    • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
    • Bones: Brothers, Horses, Cartels, and the Borderland Dream
    • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
    • Cry Father
    • Solea
    • Quarry's List (Quarry, #2)
    • The Wheelman
    • Dark Site (Sam Dryden, #3)
    • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
    • The Man Who Came Uptown
    • The Driver
    Don Winslow was born in New York City but raised in South Kingstown, Rhode Island. At various times an actor, director, movie theater manager, safari guide and private investigator, Don has done many things on his way to being a novelist.

His first novel, A Cool Breeze On The Underground, was nominated for an Edgar, and a later book, California Fire and Life, received the Shamus Award. The Death An

Power of the Dog (3 books)
    • The Power of the Dog (Power of the Dog #1)
    • The Cartel (Power of the Dog #2)
    “You just said that you decapitated the major cartels,” one of the senators says.
    “Exactly,” Keller says. “And what was the result? An increase in drug exports into the United States. In modeling the war against terrorists, we’ve been following the wrong model. Terrorists are reluctant to take over the top spots of their dead comrades—but the profits from drug trafficking are so great that there is always someone willing to step up. So all we’ve really done is to create job vacancies worth killing for.”
    The other major strategy of interdiction—the effort to prevent drugs from coming across the border—also hasn’t worked, he explains to them. The agency estimates that, at best, they seize about 15 percent of the illicit drugs coming across the border, even though, in their business plans, the cartels plan for a 30 percent loss.
    “Why can’t we do better than that?” a senator asks.
    “Because your predecessors passed NAFTA,” Keller says. “Three-quarters of the drugs come in on tractor-trailer trucks through legal crossings—San Diego, Laredo, El Paso—the busiest commercial crossings in the world. Thousands of trucks every day, and if we thoroughly searched every truck and car, we’d shut down commerce.”
    1 likes
    “The ‘Mexican drug problem’ is not the Mexican drug problem. It is the American drug problem. We are the buyers, and without buyers, there can be no sellers.” 0 likes