Start by marking “The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)

The Next to Die

(Spilling CID #10)

The New York Times bestselling author of The Monogram Murders and Woman with a Secret returns with a disturbing tale of psychological suspense and obsession that hits at the heart of some of our most precious relationships.

What if having a best friend could put you in the crosshairs of a killer?

A psychopath the police have dubbed “Billy Dead Mates” is targeting pairs of be
Published February 19th 2019 by William Morrow (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Next to Die, please sign up.
Kristen I asked the author on Twitter and she said Jan/Feb 2019 with a different TBD title

Liz Barnsley
First of all I really need to just point out how in awe I am of the devilishly devious, twistedly brilliant force of Sophie Hannah’s plotting. Like no other. Agatha Christie would have writers envy…

On the same point I have to say the “Whydunnit” in this is genuis and is quite simply my favourite whydunnit in the history of all whydunnits. I’m not sure Whydunnit is actually a word but if it is not it should be.

With “The Narrow Bed” we also get Simon Waterhouse – one of my favourite literary detec
Linda Strong

Billy Dead Mates is a new serial killer in town. He targets pairs of best friends. Each is given a small white book sometimes weeks before they die. He kills one, then he kills their best friend.

So far, the tally is up to four. The cops have no clues, no leads, no motive.

Comedienne Kim Tribbeck is watching the television when news come on, with a special report on Billy Dead Mates. Kim sits up and remembers that she, too, received a white book one day a few weeks ago. She was performing in a com
JuJu (Julie)
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ew
Interesting with an original storyline, but a little too drawn out. Chapter one held so much promise. I was sucked right in and thought this was going to be one of those books I just couldn’t put down. Then we heard from the detectives and the story started to drag on.

The book starts off in a hospital ward, where the grandma of stand-up comedian Kim Tribbeck is dying of Cancer.

A psychopath is killing pairs of best friends—BFFL—Best Friends For Life. Before they die, each victim is given a small
Hayley
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Sophie Hannah's books and have found they get more and more outlandish but this one is just unbelievable,I'm incredulous that anyone can go along with this utterly ludicrous plot and totally neurotic set of characters with ridiculous idiosyncrasies.
Kristy
Stand-up comedian Kim Tribbeck finds the interaction strange when she receives a little white book at a gig while on tour. But it only becomes truly significant when she realizes, much later, that the little white book is key to a murder investigation. Someone--dubbed Billy Dead Mates by the police--is killing pairs of best friends. Each has received a little white book right before they died. But Kim is still alive. For now. And, as she easily admits, she has no friends. Certainly not a best fr ...more
Christine
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of Sophie Hannah. I just adore the Culver Valley series or as I call it ‘Simon and Charlie’. It is everything I want from a read; clever, articulate, hilarious and utterly addictive. The latest instalment The Narrow Bed is no exception.

It’s not easy describing the story. We have a killer lurking and murdering pairs of best friends. He has been termed ‘Billy Dead Mates’ by the police. There is the absolutely hilarious comedian Kim Tribbeck, who we see has caught the attention of Bi
Dee
Jun 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

So far, the tally is up to four. The cops have no clues, no leads, no motive.

Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on www.snazzybooks.com

I couldn't wait to read The Narrow Bed, the 10th in the Spilling CID series - and (unlike a lot of other things that have taken place over the last week) I sure as hell wasn't disappointed!

The characters of this series are halfway to what makes it so amazing; even the Detectives you know are absolute arses (Sellers, for one) are somehow likeable. The main man, of course, is Detective Simon Waterhouse. His character just gets better and better as the series goes on
Kate
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this book, in all honesty it was a chore to read and I'm just glad to have finished it. It started out well, but as it progressed I felt less inclined to find out where it was all going and really just wanted to see who was behind the murders.

The characters just weren't interesting enough to hold my entertainment, and where the Police investigation was involved I felt I was scrambling to remember which of the numerous detectives was which (I gave up in the end trying to wo
Heidi
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books that feature unusual protagonists, so this one fitted right into that category. Kim Tribbeck is a stand-up comedian who, like most comedians, has a dark side, and some unusual quirks. I loved seeing the world through her POV, and she really drove the story for me.

The premise itself is intriguing – a serial killer is on the loose, targeting pairs of best friends. Who knew that friendship could be so deadly! Shortly before their deaths, each victim is given a small white book with a c
Jay Dwight
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book reaffirms why the wonderful Ms Hannah is one of my favourite authors. Devilishly clever plot, keeping you guessing all the way. The return of the wonderful Simon and Charlie was enough to make it a must read. Involving a comedienne in the story gave the opportunity for a lot of very funny lines, and a couple of witty parts within the first couple of pages gave me no doubt (not that I really had any) that this was going to be a fun ride. As the owner of a small bookshop, the lines "Books ...more
Breakaway Reviewers
Beware of strangers bearing books!!
Sophie Hannah rarely disappoints and this novel is no exception. The beginning gives no hint of where it is going, being an email from an agent to a publisher regarding a book written by Kim Tribbeck, a famous stand-up comedian.

We are then taken inside Kim’s book, Origami, which tells the true story of a series of murders in which Kim becomes embroiled.

Kim is a loner, she readily admits that she doesn’t have and indeed doesn’t need friends, although she has bee
Jane
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the course of nine books and books and nine fiendishly complicated cases investigated by the Spilling police force I have had some ups and downs. I have read some fabulous stories, with the kind of wonderfully twisty plot that no-one else I can think of could produce; and even when I have found failings they have been balanced by good things that have stopped the lows being too low.

I could tell you where each of those first nine books comes on that scale but not this one.

It’s a strange one.
Nicole
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kirsten
Sadly, nowhere near as good as the previous books in the series. Not enough Simon, far too much Gibbs and Sellers, ridiculous antics from Gibbs and Liv, terrible portrayal of feminism, and a rambly nonsensical plot with a ludicrous motive. Sophie Hannah can do much better than this.
Meghan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to the curiosity of our patrons and how they were intrigued by the summary. I enjoyed this book because of the unique style and presentation of the characters, plot, climax, and theme. Sophie Hannah tends to be one of the more popular authors at our library and her books circulate very well at our library so we thought we give this one a try and we are very glad to report that she did not disappoint and we were very happy with the end result. ...more
Jessica Maher
Jun 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elodie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ive read a few Sophie Hannah books some have been ok but safe to say this book was the one that made me vow to never read this drivel again. I'm trying to thing of some good points here but I am struggling! I actually do not know how an author can make a murder mystery plot so dull. characters were irritating and dull. This did not pass the commute well for me.
Lottie-Alice
Today on Ridiculous Motives to Kill Five People.

Sivvy
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved this series, but was so disappointed by this one. After a promising start, it got progressively more implausible and ended with the murderer apparently having a motive better suited to Scooby Doo. Do yourself a favour and stick to the earlier books.
Paula Brandon
Kim Tribbeck is a comedian who some time ago received a mysterious white book with a line of poetry inside it. She is shocked when she later learns that other people who have received similar books are now all dead - and that they appeared to be best friends! But Kim doesn't have a best friend. Plus, she received her book ages ago, and is still alive! So what is going on?

The set-up is good. Somewhere inside this 400 page book is a decent 200 page mystery. But we get a stupid, pointless subplot i
Deborah
There was a lot I enjoyed about this novel. Indeed, I probably enjoyed the first two-thirds. A lot.

The plot unfolds in first person via Kim – at the time of the investigation; also via other characters (in third person); and also via a book Kim’s writing about the events (some time in the future). It sounds a tad complicated but in reality it’s pretty easy to follow what’s happening.

My biggest gripe with this book is actually about the crimes and their motivation. Hannah keeps us guessing for mo
Gigi H
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf-2018
A special thanks to the publishers for gifting me this eARC

DNF 😭

Womp, womp..

The premise of the story was great, and there were parts that actually weren't bad..like Kim's character. I liked her morbid sense of humor in the beginning, but I just couldn't push through this one. It was mostly underwhelming. The argument and explanation of Billy Dead Mate's nickname went on and on for majority of the chapter, that I just couldn't take it anymore! Seriously?! That part only needed to be one quick su
J.J. Carroll
To be honest three stars is being generous. The three stars is because I liked most of what I was read until the most ridiculous motive for murder ever written about was disclosed.

I'm not sure if this plot was some kind of private joke that got out of hand, but really?

I truly feel there should be a 'bazinga', or 'April Fool' or perhaps an apology at the end of this book. Just left me shaking my head...

cmvo
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this one based on an interview the author had on BBC. The premise sounded intriguing enough, but the murder motive turned out to be absolutely bonkers! Not to mention the tedious investigators and the unnecessary subplots that went on and on.
Jo Ring
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably only 7 out of 10. Too much feminism and very far fetched. Not as good as her others.
Marc Bougharios
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs

Third novel by Hannah, second overall this month, but I'm not complaining.

This novel was more of a mystery rather than a thriller, but it was still very enjoyable to read as are all of her novels. Hannah never fails to disappoint even though some parts aren't the best, the best parts of the novel always manage to boost the rating of the book.

I loved the complexity of the plot in this novel and it was very intriguing to find out what will happen next. Who will be the next victim and wh
Latkins
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've got to the stage with Sophie Hannah novels where I become desperate to read them, but once I am reading them I don't want them to end. And yet I do, because I need to know what on earth is happening!

It's very hard to write about this novel without giving the plot away, which would be a horrible thing to do. So I'll just say that it's up to her usual standard - an insane, impossible mystery, the familiar cast of characters - Simon, Charlie, Gibbs, Sellers, Proust the Snowman, etc - as well
Joelle Egan
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Next to Die, prolific author Sophie Hannah’s latest novel, is due for release in February 2019. Known for her Spilling CID series and Agatha Christie- inspired mysteries, Hannah is known for skillfully playing with narrative style and characterization. The new stand-alone novel features two main protagonists whose plotlines intersect during the investigation of an apparent serial killer. The crimes have a unique signature and the murderer seems to be targeting pairs of best friends. First-pe ...more
  • The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake, #2)
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Lost Night
  • The Nanny
  • Favourite Daughter
  • The Woman in the Dark
  • The Better Sister
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Call Me Evie
  • Stone Mothers
  • Keep You Close
  • Missing Daughter
  • The Promise
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more

Spilling CID (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little Face (Spilling CID, #1)
  • Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)
  • The Wrong Mother (Spilling CID, #3)
  • The Other Half Lives (Spilling CID, #4)
  • A Room Swept White (Spilling CID, #5)
  • Lasting Damage (Spilling CID, #6)
  • Kind of Cruel (Spilling CID, #7)
  • The Carrier (Spilling CID, #8)
  • Pictures Or It Didn't Happen (Spilling CID, #8.5)
  • Woman with a Secret (Spilling CID, #9)