Start by marking “The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)

The Next to Die

(Spilling CID #10)

The New York Times bestselling author of The Monogram Murders and Woman with a Secret returns with a disturbing tale of psychological suspense and obsession that hits at the heart of some of our most precious relationships.

What if having a best friend could put you in the crosshairs of a killer?

A psychopath the police have dubbed “Billy Dead Mates” is targeting pairs of be
Published February 19th 2019 by William Morrow (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Next to Die, please sign up.
Kristen I asked the author on Twitter and she said Jan/Feb 2019 with a different TBD title
Keri Yes, but there will definitely be things that you don't get or realize were discussed in other books. It doesn't affect the plot really of the book.

Start your review of The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)
Hayley
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Sophie Hannah's books and have found they get more and more outlandish but this one is just unbelievable,I'm incredulous that anyone can go along with this utterly ludicrous plot and totally neurotic set of characters with ridiculous idiosyncrasies.
Liz Barnsley
First of all I really need to just point out how in awe I am of the devilishly devious, twistedly brilliant force of Sophie Hannah’s plotting. Like no other. Agatha Christie would have writers envy…

On the same point I have to say the “Whydunnit” in this is genuis and is quite simply my favourite whydunnit in the history of all whydunnits. I’m not sure Whydunnit is actually a word but if it is not it should be.

With “The Narrow Bed” we also get Simon Waterhouse – one of my favourite literary detec
Dee
Jun 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Strong

Billy Dead Mates is a new serial killer in town. He targets pairs of best friends. Each is given a small white book sometimes weeks before they die. He kills one, then he kills their best friend.

So far, the tally is up to four. The cops have no clues, no leads, no motive.

Comedienne Kim Tribbeck is watching the television when news come on, with a special report on Billy Dead Mates. Kim sits up and remembers that she, too, received a white book one day a few weeks ago. She was performing in a com
Julie (JuJu)
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Interesting with an original storyline, but a little too drawn out. Chapter one held so much promise. I was sucked right in and thought this was going to be one of those books I just couldn’t put down. Then we heard from the detectives and the story started to drag on.

The book starts off in a hospital ward, where the grandma of stand-up comedian Kim Tribbeck is dying of Cancer.

A psychopath is killing pairs of best friends—BFFL—Best Friends For Life. Before they die, each victim is given a small
Kristy
Stand-up comedian Kim Tribbeck finds the interaction strange when she receives a little white book at a gig while on tour. But it only becomes truly significant when she realizes, much later, that the little white book is key to a murder investigation. Someone--dubbed Billy Dead Mates by the police--is killing pairs of best friends. Each has received a little white book right before they died. But Kim is still alive. For now. And, as she easily admits, she has no friends. Certainly not a best fr ...more
Elodie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ive read a few Sophie Hannah books some have been ok but safe to say this book was the one that made me vow to never read this drivel again. I'm trying to thing of some good points here but I am struggling! I actually do not know how an author can make a murder mystery plot so dull. characters were irritating and dull. This did not pass the commute well for me.
Lottie-Alice
Today on Ridiculous Motives to Kill Five People.

Christine
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of Sophie Hannah. I just adore the Culver Valley series or as I call it ‘Simon and Charlie’. It is everything I want from a read; clever, articulate, hilarious and utterly addictive. The latest instalment The Narrow Bed is no exception.

It’s not easy describing the story. We have a killer lurking and murdering pairs of best friends. He has been termed ‘Billy Dead Mates’ by the police. There is the absolutely hilarious comedian Kim Tribbeck, who we see has caught the attention of Bi
Kirsten
Sadly, nowhere near as good as the previous books in the series. Not enough Simon, far too much Gibbs and Sellers, ridiculous antics from Gibbs and Liv, terrible portrayal of feminism, and a rambly nonsensical plot with a ludicrous motive. Sophie Hannah can do much better than this.
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

So far, the tally is up to four. The cops have no clues, no leads, no motive.

Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on www.snazzybooks.com

I couldn't wait to read The Narrow Bed, the 10th in the Spilling CID series - and (unlike a lot of other things that have taken place over the last week) I sure as hell wasn't disappointed!

The characters of this series are halfway to what makes it so amazing; even the Detectives you know are absolute arses (Sellers, for one) are somehow likeable. The main man, of course, is Detective Simon Waterhouse. His character just gets better and better as the series goes on
Heidi
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books that feature unusual protagonists, so this one fitted right into that category. Kim Tribbeck is a stand-up comedian who, like most comedians, has a dark side, and some unusual quirks. I loved seeing the world through her POV, and she really drove the story for me.

The premise itself is intriguing – a serial killer is on the loose, targeting pairs of best friends. Who knew that friendship could be so deadly! Shortly before their deaths, each victim is given a small white book with a c
Jay Dwight
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book reaffirms why the wonderful Ms Hannah is one of my favourite authors. Devilishly clever plot, keeping you guessing all the way. The return of the wonderful Simon and Charlie was enough to make it a must read. Involving a comedienne in the story gave the opportunity for a lot of very funny lines, and a couple of witty parts within the first couple of pages gave me no doubt (not that I really had any) that this was going to be a fun ride. As the owner of a small bookshop, the lines "Books ...more
Nicole
Apr 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Maher
Jun 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sivvy
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved this series, but was so disappointed by this one. After a promising start, it got progressively more implausible and ended with the murderer apparently having a motive better suited to Scooby Doo. Do yourself a favour and stick to the earlier books.
Elite Group
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beware of strangers bearing books!!
Sophie Hannah rarely disappoints and this novel is no exception. The beginning gives no hint of where it is going, being an email from an agent to a publisher regarding a book written by Kim Tribbeck, a famous stand-up comedian.

We are then taken inside Kim’s book, Origami, which tells the true story of a series of murders in which Kim becomes embroiled.

Kim is a loner, she readily admits that she doesn’t have and indeed doesn’t need friends, although she has bee
Roman Clodia
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha, no-one writes and plots like Sophie Hannah and she remains refreshingly original as well as devious and downright bizarre in this one! *That* motive - oh my! And yet I had an inkling of what it was before the big reveal.

As ever, she makes the multiple narratives work for her and gives genuine voices to her protagonists, something pretty rare in genre fiction - and this one is funny, laugh out loud funny, from the verbal sparring of journalist and cop to the ironic commentary of one of the n
Jane
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the course of nine books and books and nine fiendishly complicated cases investigated by the Spilling police force I have had some ups and downs. I have read some fabulous stories, with the kind of wonderfully twisty plot that no-one else I can think of could produce; and even when I have found failings they have been balanced by good things that have stopped the lows being too low.

I could tell you where each of those first nine books comes on that scale but not this one.

It’s a strange one.
Paula Brandon
Kim Tribbeck is a comedian who some time ago received a mysterious white book with a line of poetry inside it. She is shocked when she later learns that other people who have received similar books are now all dead - and that they appeared to be best friends! But Kim doesn't have a best friend. Plus, she received her book ages ago, and is still alive! So what is going on?

The set-up is good. Somewhere inside this 400 page book is a decent 200 page mystery. But we get a stupid, pointless subplot i
Chris
Sep 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is a DNF. It was painstakingly awful from the get go. A female comedian that I found especially not funny, primarily during her grandmothers stay in the hospital, basically on her deathbed. Snarky, sarcastic, crass. Certainly not amusing, though she certainly thought she was.

“Billy Dead Mates” is the name bestowed upon the latest serial killer in the book. Billy Dead Mates? Are you kidding me??

And the police with their discussions and arguments over the given name and does he (or she) kil
Meghan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to the curiosity of our patrons and how they were intrigued by the summary. I enjoyed this book because of the unique style and presentation of the characters, plot, climax, and theme. Sophie Hannah tends to be one of the more popular authors at our library and her books circulate very well at our library so we thought we give this one a try and we are very glad to report that she did not disappoint and we were very happy with the end result. ...more
Gigi
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf-2018
A special thanks to the publishers for gifting me this eARC

DNF 😭

Womp, womp..

The premise of the story was great, and there were parts that actually weren't bad..like Kim's character. I liked her morbid sense of humor in the beginning, but I just couldn't push through this one. It was mostly underwhelming. The argument and explanation of Billy Dead Mate's nickname went on and on for majority of the chapter, that I just couldn't take it anymore! Seriously?! That part only needed to be one quick su
cmvo
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this one based on an interview the author had on BBC. The premise sounded intriguing enough, but the murder motive turned out to be absolutely bonkers! Not to mention the tedious investigators and the unnecessary subplots that went on and on.
Robin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Terrible, terrible, terrible book! What a waste of time.
Deborah
There was a lot I enjoyed about this novel. Indeed, I probably enjoyed the first two-thirds. A lot.

The plot unfolds in first person via Kim – at the time of the investigation; also via other characters (in third person); and also via a book Kim’s writing about the events (some time in the future). It sounds a tad complicated but in reality it’s pretty easy to follow what’s happening.

My biggest gripe with this book is actually about the crimes and their motivation. Hannah keeps us guessing for mo
J.J. Carroll
To be honest three stars is being generous. The three stars is because I liked most of what I was read until the most ridiculous motive for murder ever written about was disclosed.

I'm not sure if this plot was some kind of private joke that got out of hand, but really?

I truly feel there should be a 'bazinga', or 'April Fool' or perhaps an apology at the end of this book. Just left me shaking my head...

Mary Siwiak-Jaszek
The first two-thirds of the book are gripping and twisting. a real who-dunnit and why. But the actual plot twist is just preposterous, totally unbelievable and made the book feel like a total waste of my time.

• The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • The Better Sister
  • The Nanny
  • Someone We Know
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • I Know Who You Are
  • The Lying Room
  • Never Look Back
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Someone Knows
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • The Night Before
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more

Spilling CID (10 books)
  • Little Face (Spilling CID, #1)
  • Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)
  • The Wrong Mother (Spilling CID, #3)
  • The Other Half Lives (Spilling CID, #4)
  • A Room Swept White (Spilling CID, #5)
  • Lasting Damage (Spilling CID, #6)
  • Kind of Cruel (Spilling CID, #7)
  • The Carrier (Spilling CID, #8)
  • Woman with a Secret (Spilling CID, #9)

News & Interviews