Start by marking “The Alien Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Alien Diaries

The Alien Diaries

While appraising old and rare books at a restored colonial plantation, a book collector stumbles across a series of diaries that chronicle an alien visitation in 1781.

A mysterious elderly stranger offers Colin Brayton, a bookstore owner, the job of appraising old books at a desolate colonial plantation. While working on the books, Colin stumbles across a series of diaries
Published May 26th 2018 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about The Alien Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alien Diaries

Start your review of The Alien Diaries
Whispering Stories
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

The Alien Diaries is a very enjoyable book for those who both enjoy science fiction and historical fiction – it has an intriguing mix of Civil War-era details and speculation about extraterrestrial life. That being said, the title is quite the spoiler, because the inclusion of aliens is revealed later in the story as if it were to be unexpected.

The story follows the journal of Kate, in 1778, as she contends with her kind but strange new caretakers, and
Amy Shannon
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aliens and History

Devlin's The Alien Diaries blends aliens and history together. The story brings two worlds together, and leads to a compelling plot. The characters blend well and have great depth to them. The story switched from past to present, connecting the two timelines, and added entries from this mysterious diary. The story moved slowly in some parts, but it was a satisfying read. Devlin pens a good story, and I look forward to reading more from this author.
Guy Wheatley
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only reason I’m giving this 5 stars is because I can’t give it 6 stars.
The premise is fantastic, made even better with the imaginative vehicle used to tell the story.
The tale takes place over two concurrent timelines. I’m usually not a fan of this technique, but in this book it works. First of all, Devlin makes it very clear which timeline we’re in by portraying the older one as diary entries. Second, the progression of revelation is so well coordinated between the timelines that, as a
MJ
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
More 3.5 stars then 3, The Alien Diaries is an interesting look at an alien invasion spanning hundreds of years told through old diaries, as current characters navigate through a mystery.

There were some editing issues, but it kept me wanting to keep reading and see what happened! You can read my full review at the Aspiring Author's Blog: http://aspiringauthorblog.blogspot.co...
Rosie Amber
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The Alien Diaries is a mix of historical and science fiction. Set mainly in Virginia, the story uses a dual timeline. It opens with an extract from the diary of fourteen-year-old Kate. The year is 1778; Kate and her brothers are rescued from a life of servitude by a couple who surround themselves with objects and ideas from a futuristic era.

In modern times bookstore owner, Colin, is gifted rare books from a patron who wants him to appraise books at a house he owns in Virginia. Investor Asher
J.B. Richards
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Science fiction, fantasy, futuristic technology, US colonial history, biblical proclamations, and a billionaire’s plans seamlessly blend together in Author Glenn Devlin’s tantalizing Sci-Fi masterpiece, “The Alien Diaries”.

At the behest of a mysterious and eccentric billionaire, two people—an expert book preservationist and an administrator, are presented with the rare—and extremely lucrative—opportunity to release themselves from the bounds of modern society to manage a rare 18th-century
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
From the first chapter to the last, there were too many twists, surprises, and unexpected developments to count. Initially, I was unsure about this book, but after a few chapters I was inevitably drawn in and ended up enjoying it a lot.

There are a couple different storylines interwoven in The Alien Diaries. The dominant one tells of Colin and Maddy, a pair of contemporary, just-like-everyone-else characters who face extraordinary circumstances. Both flee uncomfortable lives in order to work for
Kristin
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Colin’s life is a wreck. As he stands on the verge of losing everything, a mysterious man makes him an offer he can’t afford to refuse. With the promise of a steady salary, Colin agrees to live on a secluded 18th century home as a book appraiser. But when he discovers the diary of Kate Arendell, he realizes there is more to the house than he thought. And when a winged figure shows up, Colin must discover the buried secrets if he wants to survive...

Read my full review here:
Kathy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Alien Diaries mixes 1781 Revolutionary War Virginia with 2018 in an unusual story about aliens, space travel, and romance. It is more 3 1/2 stars than 3, quite enjoyable.

Please see my full review here: https://www.morebooksthantime.com/the...
J C Steel
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Alien Diaries combines the American Civil War, aliens on the run, and a modern book store owner in an original, unlikely, enjoyable read.

Kate Arendell is an orphan, working in a run-down New York tavern in the last quarter of the 18th century. The tavern owner uses her and her brothers as unpaid labour, and beats them for entertainment. She and her siblings are rescued from their employers by mysterious passers-by—but as they journey into countryside brutalized by war, their rescuers show an
Mary Lu
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
...There are more things in heaven and earth...

A mixture of science fiction, aliens, romance, and history engage your interest and carry you into this well done story.
Sam
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story grabbed me and would not let me go. I’m not easily impressed by fiction, but this was outstanding!
Anya Pavelle
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As an author, I know that blending different time periods as well as journal entries into a cohesive book is very difficult to do. I think the author definitely succeeded on that count. You have a colonial plantation, a diary/journal, modern characters, and supernatural beings, all of whom influence one another in myriad ways. This is a recommended read if you're comfortable with a historical novel and a science fiction novel merged into one :)
Faith Jones
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is based on two potentially hot fictional ideas, subjects that could produce novels on their own, combined into a single story. Firstly the sci-fi one that the interface between the present and the historic past is more permeable that the laws of relativity suggest and secondly the fantasy one that certain beings referred to in scripture might have been incorrectly categorised off-world visitors. That would correct our record of past and undermine the foundation of our culture in the ...more
D.H. Schleicher
Maclurker
Nov 07, 2018

• The Ghost Bride
  • Storytellers
  • Tails (Transformations, #1)
  • Molten Mud Murder
  • Then Came Darkness
  • Talented (The Legacy of Cameran Monroe #1)
  • Legacy of the Tropics