Start by marking “The Grief Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Grief Keeper

The Grief Keeper

Seventeen-year-old Marisol Morales and her little sister Gabi are detainees of the United States government. They were caught crossing the U.S. border, to escape the gang violence in their country after their brother was murdered. When Marisol learns that the old family friend who had offered them refuge in America has died and they are going to be sent home, they flee.

The
Expected publication: June 11th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Grief Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grief Keeper

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Sisters who make it to America but learn they'll only be accepted if Marisol participates in a human study for PTSD treatment. holy shit. criticism of immigration, sisterly bonds, PTSD, eerie science!? guys I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22 SUPER FUCKING HYPED
Kerri
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
being a crit partner has its benefits...you NEED this book in your life, trust me!
Fanna
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
|| F/F Romance
|| Immigration criticism
|| PTSD experiment

LIST & POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

16 Most Anticipated LGBTQIA Novels To Be Released in 2019

Ten 2019 YA Debut Novels You Need To Add To Your TBR Right Away!

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest
E.
holy shit, the blurb killed me already. now i'm waiting for this book to come out and do it again

a story about two sisters, the struggles of 'illegal' immigration, f/f romance, and an experimental study
Maribel
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course I didn't read the final - with a real cover, and with the fantastic new book smell, but I'm dying to! A fantastic and refreshingly new tale that needs to be told today more than ever.
Sami
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Villasante tackles immigration, identity, and loss in this gorgeous novel with a magical realism/sci-fi twist. When Marisol agrees to become a grief keeper in exchange for asylum for herself and her younger sister, Gabi, she gets more than she bargained for. Rey, her corresponding test subject, is drowning in sorrow, but as she begins to heal at Marisol's expense, the two are drawn together in a beautiful and inextricable tangle.
Casey (caseydillabooks)
still formulating all my thoughts but this is exactly the kind of YA i want to see in the world right now. topical, thought-provoking, written with careful attention to and clear love for language, and just overall beautifully done.
CL
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You need this book. The Grief Keeper is… a marvel. Every once in a while, I’ll read a book that I recognize as truly special almost immediately—it has that magic that pulls you in and makes you care and think, really think, from the get go—and GK is one of these.

It reminded me of one of my all-time favorites (Never Let Me Go) in the brilliant way Villasante married a thought-provoking speculative premise to character-driven literary realism. The meshing of Marisol and Rey’s grief—over the loss
K8
Dec 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
ooooh my gosh, this sounds FASCINATING
Nikki Barthelmess

***Thank you to NetGalley and G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers for providing me with an advanced ARC of The Grief Keeper by Alexandra Villasante in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.***

This book. Wow. I will be thinking about The Grief Keeper for a long, long time. Alexandra Villasante weaves a thought-provoking narrative, with a main character who has to make impossible choices to save those she loves. This story takes on timely issues in a sensitive, empathetic way. It is tr
Vianey

Jan 30, 2019
Ivy
Jan 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
Beautiful sounding, and really beautiful looking.
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens #1)
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • An Impossible Distance to Fall
  • Color Me In
  • Out of Salem
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • The Bone Garden
Alex Villasante has always loved telling stories—though not always with words. She has a BFA in Painting and an MA in Combined Media (that’s art school speak for making work out of *anything*). Born in New Jersey to immigrant parents, Alex has the privilegio of dreaming in both English and Spanish.

When she’s not writing, painting or chasing chickens around the yard, Alex plans conferences and fun