Start by marking “The Good Egg” as Want to Read:

The Good Egg

In this follow-up to Jory John and Pete Oswald’s popular picture book The Bad Seed, meet the next best thing: a very good egg, indeed!

The good egg has been good for as long as he can remember. While the other eggs in his carton are kind of rotten, he always does the right, kind, and courteous thing. He is a verrrrrrry good egg indeed! Until one day he decides that enough i
Published February 12th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Good Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Egg

Kendall
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book teaches kids that you don't always have to be perfect, but doesn't teach them that they don't have to put up with being bullied and taking loads of shit from their "friends". Seemed to me like Egg settled because he was lonely and kids need to know they don't have to settle or give in. Loved the illustrations.
Sara Grochowski
I really identify with this little egg.
Abigail
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Good Eggs Who Worry Too Much About What Others Are Doing
Shelves: picture-books
Author Jory John and illustrator Pete Oswald, who previously collaborated on The Bad Seed , join forces again in this entertaining new picture-book. The eponymous Good Egg, having been virtuous and well-meaning from the first moment of his existence, finds life with the other eleven eggs in his carton rather rough. Eventually going off on his own, when his efforts to make the other eggs be good lead only to stress, and the development of cracks in his shell, he learns to decompress and take car ...more
Tina
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wonder-years
Being perfect is overrated...and puts one under a pressure-cooker until...crack, your shell is showing a bit of wear & tear. It was great reading this today at story time because last week we talked about how to breathe and take it easy on ourselves...which is showcased in this picture book...one good egg in a bad carton will do it to you every time.
Sara
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bad Seed was pretty good but The Good Egg was absolutely amazing!! I wish I had read this when I was a kid because I was high strung as heck and could have used the message that it's okay not to be perfect all the time.

ps. The views expressed in this review are my own and do not reflect the views of Indigo Books & Music Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
Joshua Gross
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good little book, entertaining illustrations. An uptight busybody of an egg gets too worked up about what everyone else is doing and forgets to care for himself. A good lesson in self care and not worrying so much what everybody else is doing.
Cassie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember a few years ago a parent asked me for books for a 7 year old about being a perfectionist and anxiety about others being less than perfect. This would have been a great story for that kid! Egg is so sweet and well-meaning and drawn so adorably.

The only thing that bothered me is that it appears that he becomes ok with being treated badly by the other eggs. They look like such jerks and I just wanted him to ditch them and find a better group of friends! Otherwise I think it's a great st
Ashlee Tominey
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I really relate to this egg. Perfectionist that starts to actually crack up takes time for himself and learns to live with the 11 other less than perfect eggs in his carton.
Punny. Lots of action in illustrations. 4.5 year old is a fan.
Michal
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a beautiful story! Love this book and love the message even more!
Amy
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those titles that makes me so happy to be a children's librarian. That there are such talented authors and illustrators in the world who dedicate their time to bringing joy to children and adults through such charming works is a blessing.
Once again, I realize I am a sucker for any title with naughty characters (I love all the bad eggs in the dozen) and I adore this book. Can't wait to read it for storytime!
MaryLibrarianOH
Fun egg puns make this a great choice to share with elementary school listeners.
Woody Chichester
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Jory John, and this collaboration with Pete Oswald is just as good as The Bad Seed. The Good Egg is a tale kids need (adults too!) Slow down! You can't change others. You can't do everything for everyone! Self care is important. Good messages all around.
Annese
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm such a nerd. I genuinely laughed out loud at the bag of yolk!
The Reading Countess
Kids of all ages need this gentle reminder to step back and breathe deeply when life comes at you so hard that you begin to crack. THE GOOD EGG normalizes every day frustrations, legitimizes self care and places value on presence over perfection. Timely. Needed. What’s not to like?
🥚
Becky
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
LOVE the illustration style. Story itself is great for a perfectionist who is trying so hard to be perfect and make everyone around them just as perfect that they are starting to, well, crack.

A healthy book... with the CUTEST egg.
Amanda
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little long, but really enjoyable. Call me crazy, but I'm not so sure that he really is such a good egg through and through. (If someone painted MY house like that, there would be trouble!) No pun intended, this cracked me up.
Raven Black
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadly, a preachy story about being the "good egg" but then learning to "take care of yourself" and it's okay to "not be perfect." Very modern story that you're going to love or hate. By the author of Bad Seed.
Shiloah
Loved the journey. Loved the message! Each year, we pick out a favorite book with a good message to buy for all kid’s birthday parties that we go to throughout the year. Last year it was the Happy Dreamer book by Reynolds. This year, 2019, we’ve decided it will be this book.
Lori
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
I have such mixed emotions on this one. It is wildly funny, has a lesson/message. If I just enjoy it as a light hearted romp, it is our pleasure and laughter. If I try to go deeper, the unintended message may be confusing or unsettling.
Josie
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Story time is the best.
Someone who can get into character and give the words on a page life is priceless.
Very cute story about anxiety, but the telling really made it.
Thank you, Jersey Egg!
Shae McDaniel
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book SO MUCH. I didn't think anything could top The Bad Seed, yet here we are. As a rule-following perfectionist eldest child, this book resonates so much. I love the message of "Yes, raise your children to be good, but also let them be kids or they're going to crack."
Katie Reilley
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for #classroombookaday about taking care of yourself and not worrying/trying to fix others.
Kareena
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't love it at first, but got much better. I love the message.
Theresa Grissom
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you liked The Bad Seed, you will love The Good Egg. I laughed... a lot. And I can't wait to share this with students at school.
Ruth Ann
Cute story, with humorous illustrations, about what can go wrong when someone is a perfectionist and how to get over perfectionism.
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Egg-cellent message about self-care and acceptance.
Margaux
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
You don't have to be good all the time to be a good egg.
Lin Lin
The "good egg" tries to be good all the time. Sometimes the "good egg" tries too hard and something goes wrong. One does not have to be perfect. This understanding comes to the "good egg" who is happier now without having to be good all the time. Wonderful book for read-aloud with young learners, and great for social skills development for readers of all ages.
Jeimy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal picture book about the importance of self care and accepting others as they are.
Melissapalmer404
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Book #29 Read in 2019
The Good Egg

He is a good egg, and wants the others in his carton to be good eggs too. But he cannot control them and the stress is causing his shell to crack. So he takes off, but realizes that he misses his carton mates, and that maybe everyone doesn't have to be perfect all of the time. A cute picture book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »