Start by marking “Apple of My Eye” as Want to Read:
Apple of My Eye

Apple of My Eye

Laurie Brandon isn’t crazy. It’s a bout of panic that has her muttering indecipherable sounds and crying out like a mad woman, an attack brought on by her infant daughter’s sudden disappearance from the town’s annual Apple Festival. Not insanity. She needs help to save Emily. Someone has to see that, do something.

But her recent history of psychosis coupled with witness cl
ebook
Published 2018

To ask other readers questions about Apple of My Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple of My Eye

Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

Laurie's husband, Jake, has really done a number on her. He's abusive, both physically and verbally. He hits her and pretends he didn't ... telling her she must have walked into a cabinet again. He tells her family, her friends, her employer that she is mentally unstable. He worries about her taking care of their infant, Emily.

One of the best days in her life was when her husband was declared dead ... driving while intoxicated, he ran off the road and drowned in the canal.

One of the wor
Helga
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery, crime
Laurie’s baby girl disappears right from under her nose, while she is selling pies in the town’s annual apple festival. The only sign that the baby was ever there is the stuffed toy forlornly dropped in front of the selling booth.
Based on witness testimonies claiming they haven't seen a baby with Laurie that day and thanks to her abusive ex-husband spreading rumors that Laurie is unstable and downright crazy, nobody believes that somebody has taken the baby. They assume either Laurie has misplac
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tf
This is one dark twisty ride. It was crazy but so fricking good! We have a book which is told from multiple POV with multiple stories spanning multiple days and jumping back and forth between days. You really were on the edge of your seat with this.

Laurie is at the towns yearly Apple festival. Her daughter Emily is with her, then an attack comes over her, what this attack is, we aren’t sure. It’s dark and it’s scary and she’s lost in her head somehow. When she wakes up, Emily is gone! This reall
Emma Donovan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, harddrive, nr
This is certainly a thrilling read and one that keeps you on the edge of your seat almost constantly!

Our main character, Laurie has had a tough past as she was physically and verbally abused by her husband and it is made only worse by him not admitting that he does it and telling her its all in her mind.  He goes even further by telling everyone in her life (family, friend and work colleagues) that she is unstable and tells them that he is worried about her taking care of their daughter Emily.

Th
Janice Lombardo
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurie has postpartum psychosis (?). She has a terrifying episode at the Jackson, Ohio Apple Festival and spurs on controversy as to whether she is "insane". As a 2nd grade teacher, Laurie is working at the pie table where her dramatic scene first takes place for the audience. Her daughter, Emily, ( 9 months old) is missing! Brad, a firefighter, happens to be at the festival with his son, Luke. Brad hears screams and finds Laurie, his neighbor, (whom he is quite smitten by) experiencing a strang ...more
C. Gonzales
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Sometimes I get to a point where I feel bogged down in a certain genre and need a change. That is when a Mystery/Suspense is always my go-to. I feel like they make me think and help get my mind off of things more than any other genre.

There is a great balance between the Suspense and Mystery. I found myself guessing the whole way through, and being wrong quite a bit I loved the added benefit of the mind bending psychological elements.

The plot was fast paced and flowed smoothly and the characters
S.K. Gregory
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laurie's daughter is missing, and Laurie believes her husband took her. Her dead husband. I enjoyed reading this book, it wasn't always an easy read, it deals with some tough stuff such as domestic violence and child abuse, but I think it was well written and kept me turning the page. You genuinely don't know what is happening in the beginning, whether Laurie is crazy or not, but it comes together nicely in the end. I would definitely recommend this book.
Bailey Ember
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
This was a very enjoyable read for what I needed. I was in a mood for something mysterious and twisted, and got exactly that.

The intricate twists and turns together with Barfknecht's amazing mind and ability to strategize keeps the reader guessing as the story slowly unravels and the villains and motives become clear.

I liked this book on so many levels and I do recommend it.
Cristie Underwood
This was a fast paced thriller that grabbed me and didn't let me go! The characters and plot were well developed and the twists kept coming!
Annarella
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced thriller. The characters are well developed and the plot and the subplots are interesting and keep you hooked till the last page.
An interesting and entertaining book.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
Gina Stamper
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
This was a surprisingly enjoyable read. I was in a mood for something mysterious and twisted, and got exactly that.
The intricate twists and turns together with Christine’s amazing mind and ability to strategize keeps the reader guessing as the story slowly unravels and the villains and motives become clear.
I liked this book on so many levels and I do recommend it.
Tracey
Debbie P
Jul 04, 2018
Sherry
Jul 04, 2018
RABT Book Tours: Apple of My Eye by Christine Barfknecht 1 2 Aug 06, 2018 05:16AM
RABT Book Tours: Apple of My Eye by Christine Barfknecht 1 2 Jul 02, 2018 04:37AM
Christine Barfknecht has a passion for weaving the darkest bits of the human psyche into page-turning fiction. She has been crafting stories since long before she printed her first word and credits her overactive imagination to a lifelong love of reading, primarily the kind of mysteries that kept her hiding beneath the covers late into the night.

Christine lives in rural Wisconsin with her husband