Start by marking “Three Sisters of Stone” as Want to Read:
Three Sisters of Stone

Three Sisters of Stone

Follows three sisters over three decades as they manage adversity in very different ways, culminating in loss, growth and self-knowledge.
Published May 23rd 2018 by Ellipsis Zine

To ask other readers questions about Three Sisters of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Sisters of Stone

Start your review of Three Sisters of Stone
Sophie Llewyn
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Repeated abuse traumatises three little sisters, causing cracks as different as their personalities. As adults, these fissures threaten to split them in half, break their appearance of solid rock. In 'Three Sisters of Stone,' Stephanie Hutton uses her deep understanding of the human psyche to show us how the eyes that look away can cause just as much harm as the hand that strikes.

It's a beautifully written novella, made up of flash fictions made to shine like little gems. The language enchants a
B Jones
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The novella-in-flash is a difficult genre to master, with the double pressure of telling a convincing story whilst achieving an individual flash fiction story for each chapter. With every word counted and counting, it doesn’t leave much room for hesitation or rambling and one can’t afford the luxury of a couple of weaker chapters as might be possible with a novel. In order for the form to work, both story and style have to be mastered, which is definitely the case here.

Stephanie Hutton tells th
Mary
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreamlike story of three sisters and their lives told from the perspective of Bella, the middle child. With such economy of language, the writer allows us to see the world through the eyes of these poor children who live in a sad, dysfunctional family yet have a wonderful sibling bond. A beautiful example of how to write a novella-in-flash.
Christopher Allen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three Sisters of Stone is the story of Chloe, Bella, and Agnes, three sisters who grow up--and out of--an abusive home. Or stories, I should say. Each flash fiction in this novella-in-flash is told by Bella, the middle child. She is the voice of empathy between Chloe's excesses and Agnes's restraint.

These stories, each one a moving tightly wrought moment in the sisters' lives, are about the weight of our history, our childhood, and ultimately about freeing ourselves from that weight and that me
Maura
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Hutton is one of today’s best writers of flash fiction (short fiction under 1000 words). I enjoy her writing for its clarity and poignancy, and was excited at the news that her novella-in-flash Three Sisters of Stone would be published by Ellipsis Zine in early 2018. In the novella-in-flash format, each flash — itself a standalone story with a clear conflict-and-resolution arc — serves as a building block in a much longer, more complex narrative. While flash typically addresses an inci ...more
Jane Lomas
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Book blurb:

Three Sisters of Stone is a novella in flash - each flash fiction piece, or chapter, is a stand-alone work which collectively tells a story.

Stephanie Hutton is a master of flash fiction and her first novella in flash is a testament to her uncanny ability to bring her characters to life with the briefest of details.

Three Sisters of Stone tells the sto
Fiona Mackintosh
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s a sense of unease from the very first piece in this accomplished and moving novella-in-flash, which shows us how three Australian sisters negotiate the world in different ways after the shared trauma of their childhood. Although their characters are very different – Agnes, the methodical introvert, Bella (the narrator), the constant worrier, and Chloe, the reckless free spirit - the bond they’ve forged is deep. They are marked for life by the same scars, and we sense that there’s more da ...more
Jan Kaneen
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Its amazing how much feeling can be packed into standalone flash fictions (short short stories under 1000 words) but when connected flash fictions are placed side by side to tell an additional overarching narrative over swathes of time, the poignancy is ramped up exponentially in the hands of an expert. Three Sisters of Stone is brief enough to be read in one sitting and to be fair I couldn't put it down. There are real pauses between these tiny tales of three sisters growing up in an abusive ho ...more
Laura Besley
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You could, if you wanted, read this in one sitting. I chose to read one story a night before bed allowing for the whole story to percolate slowly. Each story is a standalone story, but reading one after another, layers are laid upon another, creating rich characters and telling the stories of their lives.
Christopher Stanley
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd written this. Every sentence is says more than its words, every passage is mesmerising. Somehow, together, the flash fictions that make up this novella tell the whole stories of three sisters - from their bruised younger years to their hardened adult lives. And it all feels true. Fantastic writing, highly recommended.
Cath Barton
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I reached the end of Stephanie Hutton's novella-in-flash with a weight of feeling in my chest - for the delicacy of her writing, for the intricacy of her weaving of the relationships of the three sisters, and for all the emotion in this short, intense read.
Louise Worthington
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A poignant piece of writing which left me wanting more. Hutton has a light touch who tells a story of abuse and loss without being sentimental. Bella's longing to be touched having been so neglected by her mother was an especially moving moment for me.
David
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is so much soft innocence slid over so much brutality in these words, so beautiful and heart-rending. Amazing stuff. Loved every second.
Susan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A novella in flash and a moving profile of three sisters. Beautifully written and constructed, it’s a real achievement.
Kim
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Small and impactful, this novella in flash stayed with me for days after I had finished reading it. Get your hands on a copy now!
Jenny
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful writing. Wonderful characters. These three sisters will stay in my heart.
Ellie
Jeanette
Mar 09, 2020
Al Kratz
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to get an early read of this and write a blurb. It’s a beautiful set of stories and a definitive example of the flash novella form.
Natalie

• An Inheritance
  • The Neverlands
  • Look at Me I'm Learning French: A Story For Ages 3-6
  • The Codes of Love
  • Frida Kahlo Masterpieces (Schirmer Visual Library)
  • The Almost Mothers
  • Three Men on the Edge
  • Separated From the Sea
  • Are You Somebody?: The Accidental Memoir of a Dublin Woman
  • Paris Echo
  • The Van (The Barrytown Trilogy, #3)
  • A scandalous woman: and other stories.
  • The Way of the Wind