Jump to ratings and reviews

Heaven's Heart #1

Deadly Passion

Alternate cover edition of ASIN B07D9KYL4T

Can two assassins outwit each other to claim the ultimate prize?

Dru is a blood-bound assassin, tied to Hell and her master for eternity — okay, not ‘eternity’, but it sure as Hell feels like it. She’s got a slight attitude problem, a strict no-touching rule and she has claws and knows how to use them. She’s also willing to earn her freedom at any cost, even if that means stealing from an angel.

Azrael was once a member of an elite unit in Heaven’s army, but after a priceless artifact was stolen on his watch, he was thrown out of Heaven. Now the fallen angel is on a mission: find Heaven’s Heart, save his missing comrades, and get even with the angel who took his wings.

The first time Azrael and Dru meet, she leaves him for dead. The second time, they’re tasked with the same mission — retrieve Odin’s Orb. Will their sparking passion derail their best-laid plans? Or will they play for keeps?

244 pages, Kindle Edition

Published August 23, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Amanda Pillar

42 books88 followers
Amanda Pillar is an USA Today Bestselling author and award-winning editor who lives in Australia, with her husband and two children.

Amanda writes and edits urban fantasy, romance, horror and science fiction. She's the author of the unique Graced series and the paranormal romance adventure series Heaven's Heart, and is the co-author of the Moonlit Hills series. Amanda also is the author of Haunt Me, a standalone book in the Immortal Vices and Virtues series.

She has had over a dozen short stories published, with her fiction appearing in Space and Time Magazine, Kisses by Clockwork, Cranky Ladies of History, the Red Penny Papers, with more to come.

In her day job, she is an archaeologist.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
15 (7%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 66 reviews
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
August 25, 2018
Oh yes, give me a heroine with attitude and a hero on a mission, let their paths cross and watch the feathers fly! Amber Pillar’s DEADLY PASSION is a hot and heavy start to her new series, Heaven’s Heart with tension, friction and even MORE tension as two assassins are each determined to retrieve the priceless artifact, Odin’s Orb! Along the way, Dru and Azrael will battle more than the enemy as their hearts take a stand of their own!

Dru is a delight! Fierce, yet vulnerable with attitude to spare! Azrael is a fallen angel on a mission to save his friends and his wings. Between the two of them, there is enough chemistry to know that where there is smoke, there is fire and clearly, Cupid has been playing with matches or a blow torch!

Action, romance, amazing characters and the magic of an author’s imagination come alive in DEADLY PASSION. Paranormal readers, don’t miss this new series!

I received a complimentary ARC edition from Amanda Pillar!

Series: Heaven's Heart - Book 1
Publisher: Maatkare Books (August 23, 2018)
Publication Date: August 23, 2018
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Print Length: 228 pages
Available from: Amazon
For Reviews, Giveaways, Fabulous Book News, follow: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Stephaniec.
773 reviews12 followers
March 29, 2019
This was okay, there was something missing from the couple. Actually from all the characters, none seemed very fleshed out and so they didn't really hold my attention
Profile Image for Nicole Henderson.
677 reviews3 followers
August 24, 2018
For me this book was amazing and if I could give it more stars I would. 5+ stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
What a truly amazing read this story is I love Amanda’s take on the Angels and Demons and how she has created an unparalleled story. Dru is all kids of amazing I feel in love with her right from the start and Azrael well I do feel for him and the others that have been cast out of heaven and sent on a journey that may just be impossible. If I truly start talking about this book you wont need to read it I’ll give everything away. Let’s just say that love can be found when you lest expect it, mindsets can be changed and some hurdles can be jumped without thought. The book ends with a HEA but its also open so that the second book can follow on seamlessly.
Profile Image for J.M..
931 reviews4 followers
November 20, 2018

Sorry no spoilers of any kind included or I’m going to try not to give away any spoilers that is.
What can I say about this book?
Well I can say this and that is I absolutely positively loved this book!
Kick butt MCs, lots of action and some steam.
Basically the perfect combination to me so much I definitely look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Amanda Pillar is one awesome story weaving genius.
First time that I’ve ever read any of her work and she managed to slide herself into the number one spot in my favorite authors list by just one book.
So it is a big HECK YEAH I most definitely do recommend this book because I thought it was freaking AMAZING!
Profile Image for Nathalie.
40 reviews2 followers
November 18, 2018
This was a lot more enjoyable than I expected. Althouh it's a quick read, the characters are likeable, believable and undergo some character development in the book which made them much more relatable. The female protagonist is badass, and the male protagonist respects her for that, which is refreshing! Great book, would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves romance, moderate steam, and a strong female protagonist!
Profile Image for Jessica Robbins.
2,589 reviews39 followers
May 26, 2019
Twisted Angels

What an intriguing world Pillar has created filled with angels and demons. We meet Az just as he is being punished, wings torn off, and thrown from Heaven with his team. Then she pops up a half demon had human assassin. As the two worlds collide things go sideways with some fascinating side effects. Great world building full of intriguing characters that will help you hooked as the story evolves. I especially liked the little twist at the end. I really liked it so I give it 4/5 stars.
Profile Image for Shelley Nolan.
Author 30 books61 followers
September 16, 2018
I have been a fan of Amanda Pillar’s work since I discovered her Graced Series (originally published by Momentum - Pan MacMillan Aus) so I was pleased when she released the first book in a new series. Deadly Passion, Heaven’s Heart Series #1, does not disappoint. Once again Pillar has created a rich and unique world and populated it with a fascinating array of characters and creatures.
Dru is a wonderfully snarky heroine who has little reason to trust anyone, even her boss, so when her latest job sets her on a collision path with an exiled angel there are bound to be problems. For Dru, the hardest part may be learning to work with and trust someone she should hate, a very handsome and intriguing angel. Azrael should consider Dru his enemy, but the more time he spends with her the more he realises she is no average demon, even if the first time they met she tried to kill him.
Both Dru and Azrael have valid reasons for needing Odin’s Orb, and it was wonderful to see their characters develop over the course of the story. Forced to work together, they begin to see that the other is not the enemy and could be a powerful ally if the circumstances were different. With conspiracy and betrayal lurking around every corner, Dru and Azrael battle to find a way to complete their missions, even as hidden pasts rise up and threaten to destroy them both.
A fast paced and action packed read, with just the right amount of romance, Deadly Passion ticked all the boxes and has me eager to read the next book in the series
Profile Image for Becky Baldridge.
3,180 reviews96 followers
September 17, 2018
Archangels, demons, half-demons, the fallen. This first book in the Heaven's Heart series combines solid world building, heart-racing action, a bit of romance, and some mystery for a fast-paced, engaging story of Heaven and Hell where the lines for the good guys and bad guys aren't so clearly drawn. Azrael and Dru are both on a mission that leads them headfirst into danger. This is a world where everyone seems to have an agenda and things aren't always black and white, especially when the heart stands up and takes notice. This introduction to the series pulled me in from page one and was impossible to put down. It's wonderfully written, and I love that the world-building happens organically throughout the story - we're given everything we need as we need it without info dumps or lags in the flow. As this is the beginning of a continuing story, some things are left hanging, and I can't wait to see what's next in the intriguing world Amanda Pillar has created.
November 19, 2018
This book had me hooked from the start! It is incredibly action packed, with never a dull moment, yet it still has time to create an amazing romance between two beings who normally would never have looked twice at one another. The connection between Dru and Az was perfect! Their banter was on point and often elicited a small laugh from me. The way they decide to place a measure of trust in one another despite their differences hit me, as well. One of my favorite aspects of this book is how the main characters are so complex. They are not strictly good or evil, but that mix that makes them so much more real.

The other characters were also fairly interesting, even if they only had minor roles in the book. I enjoyed the chapters that let us get to know Peony and Zadkiel a bit better, setting up for the next book. It increases the anticipation of their story without taking over Dru and Az's adventure.

The world building was fairly well done, taking us into the different circles of Hell. I found the different species to whom we were introduced to be unique. The hierarchy of the Mortus demons and their inner politics seems like it will be an important piece to the following books in this series. The segments featuring archangels also piqued my interest, as I have no idea what to think of them yet. I suspect that they are shady characters, but I have no idea what their endgame is. Of all the angel and demon stories I have read, this one was refreshing and unique. I am eager to read the next book and continue the search for the pieces of Heaven's Heart.

I was fortunate enough to receive an e-copy of this book from the author, and I decided to review it. I would like to thank Amanda Pillar again for the chance to read such an intriguing and unique novel.
September 23, 2018
First in series and first read by this author.

After being punished and forced to fall after heaven’s heart has been stolen..Azreal and his fellow ‘darts’ aka warrior class angels are sent to earth… their mission and punishment and only way to return to heaven is to find, track down and restore all 3 pieces of heavens heart. They don’t know what it looks like or what it does… so their off to a winning start.

Even moreso when they find them self up against a mercenary guild of demons and their finest assassin…

Dru is a bloodslave…forced to work for her freedom…she has limited choice when it comes to her missions…finding herself pitted against an fallen angel is not her idea of fun and yet the seem to work so well together.

I have to say that I freaking adored this book. It was a great story…fuelled with angels, demons and gods.

A heavenly mix between Indiana Jones, tomb raider and mythology that got all my book pimp synapses totally going. A total breathe of fresh air book wise and a true pleasure to read.

Filled with ass kicking and a sassy half demon half human heroine with a chip on her shoulder! Dru is as feisty as she is fantastic!

Azreal is a great lead man, with more than the weight of the world on his shoulders and learning to adapt to his new view on life… he was both funny and charming and clueless.

There was a lot of great story filling these pages I devoured it in one go and I cannot wait to read the next instalment!

Bring on book 2 I’m ready!!!
Profile Image for Leanne Crabtree.
Author 13 books83 followers
January 1, 2023
This starts with a prologue of sorts where we meet Azrael and his team of Darts, learning that something has been stolen and two of his team are missing. In response, he and the rest of his team are cast out of heaven. We then meet Dru - an assassin - as she waits for her target to arrive at the party only to learn someone else has already taken the target out. She catches the attention of Azrael as she wanders the house and they each try to figure out what the other is while both are tasked with tracking down the same artefact.

I liked some parts of this more than others. I enjoyed the banter between Dru and Azrael; they didn't always get on and enjoyed needling each other. I liked the worlds described and the variety of creatures and demons we met along the way.

I wasn't keen on the jump between viewpoints without any sort of header to let us know. It didn't happen all that often but we saw from about five different viewpoints throughout the story - most of which was the changing between Dru and Azrael. I also wasn't that keen on the abrupt, almost unfinished end to this one.

I am intrigued by the second book since it will involve characters from this one but I'm not sure if I liked it enough to carry on.
Profile Image for Sydney.
1,263 reviews49 followers
November 7, 2019
4 Deadly Lady-parts Stars

Deadly Passion is the first book in the Heaven’s Heart series by Amanda Pillar.

I’m honestly surprised this novel turned out to be more than smut. As intriguing as the synopsis was, it had an air that left you with that impression.

Dru and Az are quite a pair. I find myself thankful for his being cast out of heaven, so they could have the chance to cross paths. Being enveloped in their story, and encroaching closeness was a new experience. My favorite scene in their romance would have to be the deadly va-jay-jay one!

I hope the next installment brings more insight into Peony. As well, a further look into Z and him regaining his health, and fingers crossed his wings as well.

I don’t think this is last we shall see of Trick and Halcyon Guild. Set brings with him his own obstacles, for our MCs. Combined with the treachery of the archangels and their impending machinations, this series has a lot cut out for it. Will this cambion and fallen angel be able to conquer all that stands in their way?
1,589 reviews4 followers
August 30, 2018
Scapegoats, that Azrael and his crew had been. With what seemed like an impossible mission to fulfill he could only trust his fallen angel friends and try to be naïve no more. Drusilla knew she could not trust her blood-slaver but she would use her assassin’s skills to free her sister from their fatal destiny. Azrael, fallen angel and Drusilla half-demon would cross their paths looking for what both needed to change their present and in doing that, maybe their future. Liked the lot of action from the beginning. Intriguing characters and interesting descriptions and narrations that piqued my curiosity immediately. The plot development kept me thoughtful with the suspense and the intense and violent situations the witty protagonists had to deal with. Loved the fast and exciting pace of this story full of magic, strange characters, adventure, betrayal, suspense, violence, romance and heated passion. Vol I Liked and enjoyed it until the end. Can’t wait for the second book.
153 reviews1 follower
November 30, 2018
This is the first book that I have read from Amanda Pillar. She does not disappoint.
The first in an amazing new series - well written, fast paced and full of action with a good plot and storyline, the Author has created an interesting, vivid, rich and varied world that includes different realms and levels that are populated with a fascinating, interesting and diverse population of characters and creatures.
This amazing story features Azrael, fallen angel and Drusilla, half-demon with a mission to accomplish.
These two main characters are strong, believable and realistic and the secondary characters, good and not so good, do support and enhance the story.
There is good detailed description to events, scenes and settings, so much so that the reader is captured and transported into the story right up to the very last page.
With magic, suspense, betrayal, romance and passion this is a book not to be missed.
Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Fran Zoch, LSoR.
2,033 reviews12 followers
August 23, 2018
I am so freaking excited to be able to review this book!!!
This is one heck of a way to start a series and I am on pins and needles waiting to get the next one on my ereader.

Azrael was an angel and was thrown out of heaven because a priceless artifact was stolen now he has to get it back and that is by any means necessary.

Dru she is truly in hell, and has to do as told to a point so when she leaves Azrael for dead she is only doing what she has to buy now these two have to work together to get back the orb and working that close together we all know sparks will fly.
I am going to leave it at that because you really do need to read this story it is well written and I love the story line.
February 28, 2022
Deadly Passion is an action packed, enemies-to-lovers romance between a fallen angel and a cambion, whose half demon side is the deadliest in Hell. Both are wanting the same thing Odin’s Orb, but for totally different reasons, and they will do anything to get it.

Azrael is a fallen angel, disenchanted with Heaven after their treatment of him and his team and he now reeks of bad boy energy and steamy good times. Dru has been trained as an assassin since she was young enough to show her dual heritage as a Mortus Demon, and was able to kill with a touch, but unfortunately that was not enough to save her from a life of slavery to the Guild. Amanda Pillar has created two characters who are passionate and invests the reader into their relationship from their initial meeting. As their purposes continue to overlap Azrael and Dru meet in some interesting circumstances, leading to sparks. These characters jump from the fire into an Inferno when a mission goes awry so get ready for some fast-paced action, suspense, passion and some steamy romance.

Deadly Passion was an intense start to the Heaven’s Heart series, introducing us to multiple characters and opening many interesting future storylines. I’d recommend this for paranormal romance readers who enjoy fallen angel, demons and political intrigue. I look forward to seeing where this series goes in the future.
Profile Image for Kel Carpenter.
Author 43 books1,327 followers
June 22, 2018
I had the privilege of being able to beta read this first book in Amanda's new series and it doesn't disappoint! Full of magic, romance, and ass kickings--I'll be (im)patiently waiting for the second book in Heaven's Heart.

So, I don't want to go into details because this book hasn't even released yet, but, I will say that Dru isn't a fragile flower of a heroine. She is strong and determined, but relatable and doesn't lose her head in hard situations. Our hero, Azrael, is flawed but all the better for it. Personally I get tired of reading about perfect people.

If you love action based paranormal romance, then I recommend this book for you.
Profile Image for Inishowen Cailín.
676 reviews27 followers
August 26, 2018
Deadly Passion is an exciting, magical adventure where the line between good and evil becomes blurred when natural enemies join forces for the good of a common goal.

There is non stop action from start to finish with lots of humour thrown into the mix. There is just the right amount of romance in this story for me.

The author concentrated more on character and plot development resulting in one kick-ass story that I couldn't put down

Dru's sister Peony is a minor character in the Deadly Passion but I immediately liked her and was intrigued by her. I can't wait to read her story in book two.
173 reviews
August 23, 2018
What would cause a fallen angel to fall in lust with a demon assassin...and then the two of them join forces to assassinate the Egyptian God Set who resides in Inferno. Fighting their way through the various levels of Hell against hoards of deadly demons, Az and Dru find that they have much more between them than just a pact to kill Set. Trust is slow to develop, but love lends a hand. This is one whale of a ride...and sexy as hell. I can't wait to grab the next in line in this series.

I received an ARC for this book, but I loved it enough to want to post this review
Profile Image for Ani.
257 reviews4 followers
August 24, 2018
Fantastic. Quirky, funny, sassy and action packed. If you can’t tell, I absolutely loved this book. Azrael is an honest jerk who you instantly find endearing and Dru is a stone cold killer with cracking humour. The whole story is an obstacle course for these two and I really liked how easily the story flowed through each scene.

I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series. Book one’s ending left me with a goofy grin despite the dire situation and intrigue that leaves you begging for more.

Profile Image for Vicky.
112 reviews3 followers
November 28, 2019
I stumbled across this by accident. I can't even remember how I found this series and that's because it has taken over every waking moment. This is witty, sarcastic and laugh-out-loud funny with brilliant character interaction. The plot is solid (hooked me from the start) and acts as a precursor to the follow up stories, which follow the other angels, as well as introducing other and unusual characters. Honestly loved it and read all four books currently available in the space of about two days.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,326 reviews13 followers
August 22, 2018
Man this is a terrific start to the series!! I am so excited and CAN. NOT. WAIT!! to see what happens next.

Angels evicted from Heaven for something they didn't do, are now expected to find the 3 pieces of Heavens Heart. A half-demon and her sister are trying to get out of debt and be free. Chaos ensues of course and it is an all out battle to see what happens.

I was gifted an ARC in return of an honest review.
69 reviews
November 15, 2018
Ohhhhhhh yes! Do read!

Ok, so this was fun! Great story with the potential for extraordinary! I love the different levels, realms and characters. I like that most of the characters that are good are also a little bit bad and vice versa. Oh my God and the tension is hot hot hot!!! I can't wait to read about the others. Like Godric! I hope some of the other Realms are highlighted as well. That would be interesting, yes please!
12 reviews
November 15, 2018
Amanda Pillar has created an intriguing and enjoyable world where angels and demons interact with all-too-human qualities. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Demon world and how the author crafts it. The action and story line are solid and the lead in to Book 2 has me impatient to read it. From a technical standpoint, my ARC copy was well edited and I found few to no typos or other annoyances to my reading experience. I highly recommend this book!
Profile Image for Michel.
132 reviews
November 17, 2018
ahh amanda pillar has outdone herself with this new angels and demons series dru and az are epic characters and them and all the others develop verry well as the story progresses overall loved this book and the unique take on angels and demons and loved learning about drus backround and hope to learn more in futuree books the plot and overall flow of the story was done perfectly great book and excellent work done amanda pillar cant wait to see what happens nexr
Profile Image for Sydney.
304 reviews35 followers
November 20, 2018
This was a wonderful read. Loved all the witty humor, I literally had to stop reading I was laughing so hard. Romance was a great build though it threw book. Lots of action. Dru truly is one strong woman, but it's never wrong to want to want to be love by someone. Az learns that maybe as an angel he had it wrong not everything is so black and white. Loved that you got several different chapters from different characters. So ready for the next one.
Profile Image for Donna.
703 reviews
November 21, 2018
Amanda Pillar has created another unique world with a fascinating group of characters and creatures. Her main characters are Dru, a snarky heroine and Azrael, a fallen angel. This is an action packed fast moving tale. Once started, it is a page-turner you do not want to put down as you are drawn into the story and need to know what comes next. Anxiously waiting for next book in the series. I highly recommend this book. Received a copy and this is my voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Danni Rogers.
233 reviews1 follower
November 21, 2018
Seriously addictive. This book was one I couldn’t put down. A fallen angel and a half human half Daemon, supposed to be working against each other in opposing guilds, but unable to ignore the pull between them. I loved the growing bond and sexual tension between Dru and Az. The development of their relationship as they (and the reader) learned more about the characters. Definitely recommend this book. An excellent easy read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 66 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.