Start by marking “Tree of Ages (Tree of Ages, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tree of Ages (Tree of Ages, #1)

Tree of Ages

(Tree of Ages #1)

"The seasons are changing. The lines are faltering, undoing the old and bringing life to the new. Trees will fall, and changed earth will be left in their place. A storm is coming."

Finn doesn't remember much about her previous life, and in a world that has been changed by the wars of the Tuatha De, where trust is hard to come by, answers are even more difficult to find. Li
Published March 1st 2015 by Vulture's Eye Publications

To ask other readers questions about Tree of Ages, please sign up.

Jeff Wheeler
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this one last week and was pleased to discover another YA fantasy author who didn't rely on sex, swearing, or gore to write a compelling debut novel. The premise of the story was an intriguing hook. A tree, which has been observing the world in the woods, suddenly transforms into a woman and wakes up clueless about how it happened. That created an interesting mystery and how she seeks answers to who she really is. Was she a tree all along? Or was being a tree a curse from her past? Th ...more
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I just finished reading Tree of Ages ;) and I'm giving it a 3.5 because the way I feel about it is in between liking it and really liking it.

Firstly I'd just like to say that I cannot fault the writing itself... IT WAS GREAT. The author has a lot of talent. The whole book was in third person and conveyed by several perspectives, and yet still managed to create so much mystery!

So when I first started reading this book I was all like...

It was a strange yet tantalizing start to a book... T
C. Erani Kole
I give this five stars. It would've been four because there was a few scenes that seemed to drag, but it's been a weird week for me, so I don't take that into account.

I loved loved loved this. A tree turning into a human makes for an amazing adventure, especially when you add in a grouchy but adorable old hermit and a possible love interest (or two) in fairly opposite seeming men along the way.

Finn's transition from tree to woman was a nice story, and like an epic, things were revealed along the
Pep
May 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger much?

A great start but then it dragged a bit for me. I had to keep picking it back up forcing myself along. I must say as a warning that nothing..and I mean nothing, is resolved in book one, this book. Be prepared to purchase the others for a story arc to conclude. This was decent with world building and meh on character building. The intents of the characters are muddy and not well defined although you will NOT mix them up by midway through the book. So that means with a large cast,
Robin
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning starts a little slow but it quickly picks up and keeps your interest right to the very end.

Finn, the tree child, wakes to find herself human after spending a century as a tree. She's wakened by Àed who takes her in, cares for her and helps her acclimate to her new state of being.

Finn eventually sets out to find someone who can turn her back into a tree, Àed ostensibly goes along to keep her company. It doesn't take long for them to gain companions but who is to be trusted?

I thorou
Rhonda Taylor
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully woven tale

She awakes falling. She was a tree now she is a girl. She wants to be a tree again. This is a tale rich in lore. I stumbled during the first twenty or so pages, wavering on whether to continue or not. I am so happy I chose to continue. I'm blown away by this tale. I definitely recommend this book. The story weaves itself from a cute story into a full blown epic tale.
Heidi The Hippie Reader
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

Tree of Ages is a fantasy novel about a tree who becomes a girl (or is it a girl who becomes a tree and then reverts back into a girl?). Finn is trying to figure out who she is and so is the rest of the world- which itself is on the verge of something big, something having to do with the magical creatures, who Roethle calls the Faie, who disappeared years ago and now are reappearing all over the place.

This b
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I thought that there was a very compelling backstory here that I was more interested in than the current plot. I would have probably enjoyed this more with some flashbacks.

I thought the writing was sufficient but that there needed to be some editing, as words were left out here and there.

I really liked the very diverse group of characters and the way the narrative skipped back around from one to another. I really like knowing what each of them was thinking, but I thought there was a s
Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar)
While I liked this book, I found myself bored throughout a lot of the chapters. I'm also not really sure who's the love interest either, but I definitely know I fucking hate Kai. I hope it's not him. PLEASE, NOT THAT MOTHERFUCKER. I also found myself wanting to choke Finn because she can be so fucking stupid. Not to mention, the plot was laughable in some ways. The whole tree thing for instance, it could have been pulled off, but instead it was butchered. Into cheap, shitty wood chips.

I will be
Angi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good book! I was sucked in very quickly! All of the intertwining characters and stories felt very reminiscent of A Midsummer Nights Dream. It kept me interested the whole way through. There was so much that happened- so so much, it was difficult to keep track of everyone’s separate stories. It was hard to have so many words that I had to look up in the glossary though, there could have been more included though. Finn was interesting...likable and irritating in a good mixture. Too t ...more
Trista Wilson
DNF

This book writing is too low grade. There really isn’t a lot happening but when it does it isn’t really planned out well imo. It’s like the author had an idea and then another idea and then another. It’s like jumping from one stone to another, not the flow of a river. I didn’t like the writing style, I could care less about the characters, and after 100 pages I just couldn’t force it anymore. Hate I wasted money on this. On to the next I guess.
Rose
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this page turner and will look forward to the next in the series. The Melted Sea..
Karli Walton
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book would be lame, but it was actually an enjoyable read. I probably wouldn't read it over and over, but it was nice because I wanted an easy Young Adult fiction that would grab my attention, without putting me through emotional upheaval (because I just wasn't in the mood to be that emotionally invested). That sounds like a bad thing! Basically, I was interested in the stories and the characters, but felt like it was a relaxing read. The setting is a fantasy world based off of Sc ...more
Ashley  Sherrets
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best series I have read in years! I couldn't put these books down! I read all five books in less than a month, while still maintaining other life activities! I HIGHLY recommend them for anyone who likes fantasy reads!
Penny
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. The writing was okay, the premise interesting, but I still don't really know what is going on with the plot by the end of the book. Meh.
Eri | BooksAreMyCaffeine
Every now and then, I stray away from the mainstream and make my way into that little online aisle with the tag “self-published” upon it. This is how I stumbled across “Tree of ages” by Sara C. Roethle. A happy coincidence after typing “self-publish” on Amazon’s search box.

The first thing that caught me was the cover (tho, after reading the book I consider it false advertisement), the second thing was the synopsis, afterwards, the e-book price (budget books!) and just like that, I was hooked!

I
Hannah Brown
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finn has always been a tree, for over one hundred years. But one day, she wakes up and she has pale skin, hair and she’s a girl. Áed, or the Mounteback, takes her in, but soon Finn wants to leave and find out what happened to her and how to reverse the effects. She misses the nature, the connections, the earth. She doesn’t want to be human. Especially with the brewing tensions in the world of the Tuatha.

Finn and Áed’s journey is filled with twists, turns, betrayals, friendships but most of all:
Alexis
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I really enjoyed this book, it was good!

SEX/NUDITY: There are no sex scenes in this book nor very suggestive writing. There is one character you can tell is a womanizer, but it is never talked about in great detail. There are some moments people bathe, but it doesn't go into description of nudity etc. in any way, very tastefully done. There is also a scene where a girl is surprised to turn around and find her companion had dropped his towel and hopped in a bathtub and she quickly leaves the room
Eilidh Collins
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it were possible to give a book more than 5 stars, this is the book I'd give it to. I can't remember enjoying a book as much as this one for a long time. The storyline is intriguing, and the characters are written so well I felt as though I knew them. The author has skilfully written a plot that is full of twists and turns; two in particular shocked me. I felt a great deal of empathy towards many of the characters. She even manages to make you like one who has no business being liked by anyon ...more
Brandy Nelson
Storyline not bad, writing style lacks depth

I kept reading the story because the storyline and plot were not bad. I was intrigued at first by the fact she had been a tree for 100 years, and wish they had explored that a bit more. I feel that the characters needed more development. The writing style - I didn’t particularly care for it. It made me wonder if it had been written in another language and translated roughly. I had a hard time feeling an emotional bond with these characters or feeling
Heidi
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairies
Intriguing tale that begins with a tree turning into a girl. My attention was caught immediately and held by the adventures of Finn and her companions. Everyone has an interesting and unique story, and not everyone is who you start out believing them to be. Sara Roethle has woven a story that grabs you and pulls you into the lives of her characters and leaves you on a cliffhanger waiting for more. I do believe I will add her to my list of favorite authors.
Jessica Mitchell
A great little adventure. A girl named Finn who was a tree, no turned human. Has a mission. What is it and what does she have to do.... Guess you'll have to read and find out.
Perdita
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fantasy novel with its roots in Celtic mythology and the flavour of high adventure (in the mien of a table-top RPG without once creating a feeling of reading a meta-game) , "Tree of Ages" delivers all the usual elements of the genre--a heroine with a mysterious past, a teacher with a dark past, a hero with a mysterious past, scoundrel companions, naive companions, an enemy with a personal vendetta--in a manner that feels organic and fresh. While reading, everything I encountered was familiar, ...more
James Hockley
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests, this book is about a tree. But it is a special tree. It turns into a girl, and may one day save the world. That’s more than most trees achieve. This is a nicely executed novel, with some fresh ideas baked in, and an easy read too. There is certainly a focus on the series rather than the novel in isolation, but it hints at an exciting journey, so why wouldn’t we read on?

This is a story about a tree who suddenly wakes up one morning with legs and arms. Yep, you know the feel
Kaite ~ my way by Starlight
This review can also be read on my blog: my way by Starlight

Okay team, once again I'm coming in late to the game with what I hope to be a wonderful series. I'd kept seeing Tree of Ages pop up everywhere. I'd wanted to read it for lord knows how long, but with a list of ARCs a mile wide I kept telling myself I'd read it after I got my other books.

Well, you can see how well that played out. I hit a reading slump, and told myself that if I read it at least I'd start reading again. I am incredibly
Jessica Donegan
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It could easily have been a stereotypical "wants to be like every fantasy RPG" cliche we're all familiar with. Instead, Tree of Ages is unique and creatively sidesteps many of the common tropes fantasy readers love/hate. It creates a new experience for readers used to the series conventions and it let me fall in love with the charming quirk that first intrigued me in the fantasy genre.

Finn is a compelling, dimensional main character. While she is a "fish out of water" charact
Eve
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaylawright
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tree of Ages, by Sara C. Roethle, Is about a girl who used to be a tree for a hundred years but for some reason turned into human. The main character Finn, used to be a tree for as long as she can remember, which is a hundred years. Finn woke up with a man standing in front of her. His name is Ade. He watched her turn into a human. Finn now has had some glimpses of a past before the tree. She wants to find out who she was before the tree. To do that finn has to travel a great distance. While ...more
E Varady
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mixed bag

I leave book 1 with mixed feelings. On the one hand, we have a unique character -- a girl who was a tree for a while and is now a girl again. Those first scenes of her transition are gripping, making it an experience for the reader. And the cast of supporting characters is varied and strong. I even found myself surprised by some characters, particularly at the beginning of part 2.

On the other hand, the main character is unrealistically naive. I bought into it initially but as her memori
Lauren Garcia
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in an epic fantasy series. I read all of them back to back after seeing an add on facebook. This book starts off a little shaky, but the story and characters gain strength as the book progresses. I love how the Irish mythology is woven into the plot. Finn, the main character, took a little bit to grow on me, but ultimately I'm rooting for her and her allies. Iseult, a tortured warrior-type, is probably my favorite character.

One common complaint I see among reviews is that
  • A Note Below (A Lansin Island Short Story)
  • Waiting for Shadow (Tracking Jane #0)
  • The Last Ereph and Other Stories
  • The Warlord's Queen (The Warlord's Concubine, #2)
  • Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates
  • For What It's Worth... Love, Dad: Things I Always Meant to Tell You, If Only We'd Had the Time
  • Carnival of Souls: A Novel By Jazan Wild
  • Evolution: Rising (Evolution #1)
  • Love, or the Witches of Windward Circle: A Horror Farce
  • Magic Most Deadly
  • The Ancient Whisper (A Whisper of a Mystery Trilogy #1)
  • Slices
  • Arabella, the Moon and the Magic Mongongo Nut
  • Dominic’s Nemesis (The Ambrosi Legacy #1)
  • The Invisible Hand: Business, Success & Spirituality
  • The Jaded Kiwi
  • Leaving Tinkertown
  • Mom in the Movies: The Iconic Screen Mothers You Love (and a Few You Love to Hate)
Sara C. Roethle is a Fantasy author and part-time unicorn. She enjoys writing character driven stories in various fantasy realms with elements of Celtic and Norse myth, humor, and metaphysical ponderings.

Her series include:

Tree of Ages
The Thief's Apprentice
The Moonstone Chronicles
Xoe Meyers
Bitter Ashes

Tree of Ages (5 books)
  • The Melted Sea (Tree of Ages, #2)
  • The Blood Forest (Tree of Ages, #3)
  • Queen of Wands (Tree of Ages, #4)
  • The Oaken Throne (Tree of Ages, #5)
“The landscape was still wide open, with the stunted, twisted trees here and there. The cloud- darkened sky and lack of landmarks made Finn feel like she was watching the same scene over and over again as they rode. Her half- breed horse stumbled often as it trotted across the rocky landscape, unused to the lively pace. The animal would not be able to keep up with the steady speed for as long as the others, and Finn began to fear being left behind.” 0 likes
“She tossed and turned on her straw mat, too filled with restless energy to leave the waking world. It was the first time since Garenoch that Finn had slept inside, and she had mixed feelings about the situation. She found that she was actually grateful for the shelter, and that thought alone worried her. What worried her even more, was that she hadn't thought about being a tree all day. She was, in fact, beginning to like life as a human. She liked being a part of what people did, beyond lending them shade, or a trunk to lean against. She liked dancing and conversing. More than the sense of community, she enjoyed adventure and having the ability to move about as she pleased, meeting new humans and creatures along the way.” 0 likes