Start by marking “Better Together (One Fond Embrace, #1)” as Want to Read:
Better Together (One Fond Embrace, #1)

Better Together

(One Fond Embrace #1)

Hawaiian rancher Alex Kahale needs a temporary wife to close a deal that’s vital to the welfare of his herd. Thankfully, he’s already married to a woman stole his heart in less than a week, even if that same wife filed for divorce a few days after they said their “I dos.”

Rising country music star Britney Moore had a wild fling with a cowboy in Las Vegas a year ago which e
Published August 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Better Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Together

Start your review of Better Together (One Fond Embrace, #1)
Danielle's
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The cowboy and the singer, set in the beautiful landscape of Hawaii. Britney has a secret identity. Her show name isn't her real name and her husband doesn't know she's a star. Alex is working hard to make his ranch a success. His life has been put on hold since his brothers death. He wants to make a success of the property he has gained. He doesn't see his friends as often as he would like and he is trying to impress a guy who could sell him some top quality cattle. The problem is the man who o ...more
MarytheBookLover
I really enjoyed this romance. Alex is a rancher in Hawaii - who wouldn't love that and Britney/Shelby is a rising country music star. One week in Vegas (what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas) and they were married. Soon after that Britney filed for divorce. Not that she didn't have feelings for Alex cause she does. But, her agent keeps pushing her so she can be an A-lister. Alex didn't sign the papers and has now come up with a plan.

Alex needs her help to get some cattle for his ranch and needs
Paula  Phillips
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
For the past seven months since his brother's death, Alex has been working hard to bring his family's ranch back to scratch and has an opportunity to try something new and different. He wants to breed some new brand of cows with his, the only downside is that the guy he wants to buy them off is a family man and wants to meet Alex and his wife before he sells, making sure that the family values are also strong with Alex. Alex's friends joke that he needs a fake wife, not knowing that he has in fa ...more
Deniz
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5Stars? hmm, I will still ponder on the rating.
Let's just look at what I liked and didn't like first.

So I have read several books by McHugh, so it's kinda clear I like her writing style. Better together had many beautifully written moments, which just reaffirmed my love for her prose.

The storyline is... well, honestly, kinda a little bit different and a lot of cute & fluffy. But in all fairness, this is a cute & fluffy. Which I really enjoyed, I wasn't looking for some deep mystery or beyon
Heather
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a great start to a new series by Crista McHugh. It features a second chance romance set in beautiful Hawaii. Although truth be told it doesn't really start out as a second chance romance, more of a fake marriage until we can sign the divorce papers kind of thing. After a wild week in Vegas, Alex and Brittany got married. But then Brittany had second thoughts about how the marriage would impact her career and left on their wedding night. Fast forward one year later and Alex still hasn't s ...more
Jéssica
Shelves: reviews
This is my first book of Crista's, but I loved it. It was fun, interesting, romantic, hot... Just how I like it in a Contemporary Romance.

With a cowboy and a singer in the beautiful Hawaiian landscape and nature, I got caught in the storyline. And the fact that Crista McHugh added all the Hawaiian terms made the book stay true to it's setting, and that gave the book a fluency and realism. Besides, the descriptions were wonderful. I never been to Hawaii, but I have always wanted to go and reading
Bookgasms Book Blog
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: missy
Looking for a sweet, sexy, second-chance romance? Be sure to pick up Alex and Britney's story here in Better Together!

Britney's an up and coming country singer, where her "good girl" image needs to be maintained—just how would her fans react to her suddenly proclaiming her quickie marriage? A quiet divorce is what she's after because nothing is going to get in the way of making her dream come true.

But what if her dream changes—what if she actually allows herself to give in to all the feelings s
Isha Coleman
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

If at first you don't succeed ...

Alex and Britney discovered the right love at the wrong time. Will the second time around be the charm? McHugh picks the perfect setting for a fun and flirty romance. Better Together begins with a quickie wedding and an even quicker separation as Britney and Alex take the long route to love. Amidst celebrity, desperation, frustration and heartache this duo captivates as they ponder the risks of love. Prepare to get lost in love with Better Together.
Jen
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mostly light and fun, with a little bit of angst (but nothing too dark), and quite a bit of heat, this is the perfect beach read! And it is certainly fitting since the setting is (mostly) Hawaii, including some time at the beach.

Alex and Britney need to convince a potential business partner of his that they are a happily married couple. What they fear will be a monumental task turns out not to be at all, mostly due to the fact that everyone around them can see how smitten they are with one anoth
Jessica
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Another good read from this author. This is a quick fun romantic read. A rancher in Hawaii and a rising country star both have some issues they are dealing with but can the two be stronger together and find their happy or will they find themselves alone? Crista thank you for using the Hawaiian culture and language and a huge thanks for the glossary as I used it alot
Laura Hampton
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been several years since I have read a Crista McHugh book, five to be exact and I have to wonder why I waited so long to dive back in. Better Together is a light, fun, sexy, quick read. It the start of a brand new series that I am excited to read more of. I have to admit I have struggled lately with my reading. I feel like I haven't had enough time to devote to reading, something I need to change. So, when I read the blurb for Better Together, I was hooked. Who doesn't love a hot, sexy ra ...more
Leslie Ooten
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an okay read. I thought it was hard to get into, and it took a while before I felt invested in the story. Alex and Britney were good together, but Britney had a lot of issues from her childhood that held her back from the relationship. Alex was a good guy, but he had some things that held him back as well. I loved the feeling of family in this one. Not just the family you're born into, but the family you chose. It was nice to see them be able to overcome their obstacles and be together. ...more
Zetti
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not sure how to feel about this book and this review so please don’t take my words in a negative light. I think this is one of those books where it just did not work for me. However I have no doubt it’ll work well for others.

I like Alex, like he’s the saving grace for me in this book. I connected to him but it did take longer than I thought it would but in the end I did feel something for him. I just did not feel like I loved him. I like feeling attached to characters because it makes me r
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.

Britney and Alex had a week in Vegas, a whirlwind romance, followed by a wedding. But Britney runs from Alex on their wedding night and ahs been pushing for a divorce ever since. Alex needs a wife to secure his family ranch's future. So, Alex will give Britney her divorce, if she will give him two weeks. Will that be enough for them both to get what they want? Who they want?

This review will be short, and I apologise fo
Pauline Frost
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A well written and perfectly paced story pulling you in from the start. A surprise in the story that carries along just fine. Alex inherited the family ranch and struggles to pull it back. Easy to follow along with humor among friends who are more like family.
Vickie
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better Together begins with Alex Kahale thinking through how he got to this place in is life. Inheriting the family ranch, which was never supposed to be his, has come with a set of challenges that he's trying to overcome. He is trying to secure a deal with a rancher in Idaho that will provide financial security for the ranch and all who live and work there. When said rancher, Stan, informs Alex that he wants to make sure the person he's selling to is a dedicated family man and he and his family ...more
Laura Williams
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alex and Britney are estranged husband and wife. He is a rancher who lives in Hawaii while Britney is a soon to be a national treasure after winning a televised music competition who lives in Nashville.
The last time they saw each other was their wedding night when she snuck out on their to pursue her career thinking she made a mistake (don’t hate her).
After almost a year of sending Alex divorce papers that he won’t sign, he is desperate and needs a wife for a business opportunity. Where will h
KS
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story - loved the locale!

So I read this while in Hawaii, so it definitely had an island feel to it. It's not a fake wife scenario since they were actually married. Alex and Britney shared a wonderful week in Las Vegas then did an impulsive thing which she soon regretted.

I found Britney a little annoying. She spontaneously marries him, but then quickly decides to divorce him and then goes hot and cold once she agrees to his terms and visits him on the ranch. Alex was a fool in love.

This is a
Jackie Turner
Paula
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cowboys, country music, tropical setting, and romance, Better Together by Crista McHugh has it all. The storyline is contrived but still great fun. The easy summer afternoon kind of read.

The characters are well developed meaning they are likable but far from perfect. Britney could be annoying at times. I liked her but thought that Alex saw her through rose colored glasses. Still I found myself hoping that Alex would manage to win her heart permanently. What I loved was the way that by the time I
Tracey
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
* I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own *

This is the story of Alex Kahale who is need of a temporary wife to seal the deal for the welfare of his ranch and herd. But it seems that he is still married to Britney Moore an up and coming star in the country music business after they had a drunken night together and got married in Las Vegas.
Britney had sent numerous requests to Alex when she returned home from Las Vegas to sign the divorce papers but Alex never di
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
My review: on my blog. ...more
Kristen
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed many of Crista McHugh's books, particularly her Kelly Brothers series. This story seemed a bit contrived and I had trouble getting past that. However, it did have its moments as a sweet romance. It was an easy summer/beach read.
poppy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ng
This is the first book I have read from Crista and it will not be my last. I really enjoyed this fun sexy read I just could not wait to start reading this one and it did not disappoint. I really liked both Alex and Britney these two meet and have a fling in Vegas and end up married but she freaks out and heads home wanting a divorce. When Alex needs a wife to keep his ranch he agrees to give her the divorce if she pretends to be his for two weeks. I love a good fake relationship romance and this ...more
Melinda
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book checked off all my romance must haves......it’s steamy, funny, touching moments, a great plot and a good array of characters. What more could you ask for? As this book definitely has it all. Have to pick up this book, you don’t want to miss out. I will definitely be looking up more books by this author.
Sherry
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
***I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Victory Editing NetGalley Co-Op, and Crista McHugh.**

Better Together, by Crista McHugh, was a second chance romance between Hawaiian rancher Alex and rising country singer Britney. A whirlwind week-long romance in Las Vegas ended with a walk down the aisle before Britney disappeared. It’s been a year, and Britney just wants to put the mistake behind her, but Alex won’t sign the divorce papers.
Sofia Lazaridou
Oct 02, 2018
CLOVER DOUGLAS
Mar 28, 2020
Sandra Lee
Aug 26, 2018
Amanda
Oct 18, 2019

• Harley Merlin and the Broken Spell (Harley Merlin, #5)
  • Harley Merlin and the First Ritual (Harley Merlin, #4)
  • Harley Merlin and the Cult of Eris (Harley Merlin, #6)
  • The Right Fit
  • Harley Merlin and the Detector Fix (Harley Merlin, #7)
  • Blindsided
  • Harley Merlin and the Challenge of Chaos (Harley Merlin, #8)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mortal Pact (Harley Merlin, #9)
  • The Something Series - Box Set Books 1-3: (Tell Me Something, Ask Me Something & Bet Me Something)
  • Below the Surface (Mountain Mermaids Sapphire Lake)
  • Always Love Me: A Standalone Second Chance Romance
  • Mated to the Grizzly (Bears in Love, #1)
  • Teach Me Something (Something, #4)
  • Show Me Something (Something, #5)
  • In with the Tide (Cape Cod Shore Book 1)
  • Owned by the Marine (Master Me, #4)
  • Falling for the Fireman (The Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel, #1.5)
Crista McHugh is a NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY BESTSELLING author of fantasy and romance with heroines who are smart, sexy, and anything but ordinary.

She also writes fantasy with less kissing and a lot more action as C. A. McHugh.

She currently lives in the Tesla-filled suburbs of Seattle with her husband and two children, maintaining her alter ego of mild-mannered physician on the weekends.

One Fond Embrace (2 books)
  • Upside Down (One Fond Embrace, #2)