Start by marking “Red Tea” as Want to Read:
Red Tea

Red Tea

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A mystery unfolds in rural Japan. Who is behind the students' murder? Read on to discover the truth.

Jordan Howard moves to the Japanese countryside to become a high school English teacher, not an amateur detective. But when Jordan’s students are murdered one after another, she resolves to find the culprit, fueled by lingering guilt over her own brother’s death.

Toshihiko

Published June 12th 2018 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Red Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Tea

Evan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! It was enjoyable to see the characters develop, and the mystery came to an interesting and believable resolution. There were just enough clues about what was happening that although I didn't solve the mystery myself, I could look back and believe that I conceivably *could* have, were I a better detective. :) I really enjoyed the setting in Japan and all of the cultural observations that come along with that.
i.
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel is set in Japan, one of the most fascinating countries in the world because of its unique culture which the author describes in many parts of the book. If you love that country, this book is certainly for you and you will wish you had some green tea and a delicious onigiri to enjoy while you are reading.

Meg Mezeske engages the reader with well-developed characters and an intriguing plot. She depicts a very clear picture of life in a rural village where some unexplained deaths take pla
Wesley Sueker
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red Tea is an engaging but relaxing mystery that makes a nice short read. It's quick-paced and easy to read but has enough intrigue to keep turning pages. The main character Jordan thinks what the reader thinks, and her actions as an amateur detective are relatable. Often I found myself making a note about a potential clue, and one sentence later, Jordan considered it herself.

I found myself wanting a little more description of the bucolic Japanese setting to help settle into each scene a bit mor
Becky
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author is a daughter of a friend, so I purchased the book out of friendship duty. For a first novel in a setting about which I knew little, I found it captivating and interesting. The mystery involved is the death of several students at a rural school in Japan. The primary protagonist is an American school teacher of English in this school. The mystery is well designed and I honestly didn't suspect until the last minute the perpetrator of the murders. Good summer read.
Jan Mage
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mezeske’s novel is a fun fusion of a Japanese and American perspective. I enjoyed the sometimes hard headed cultural smashing and clashing between the American teacher and Japanese detective as they worked not exactly together to identify an intriguing “how” and a surprise to me “who” at the end. Highly recommend this book.
Mary
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! This novel takes you on a mystery journey and a journey of Japan! While Jordan, an American teaching English in a small town in Japan, tries to unravel why her students are being murdered, you travel with her discovering the culture, foods and festivals of the country. Great all-round summer read, sure to keep you guessing til the end "who done it?"
Jen (NerdifiedJen)
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge kindle fan, but you should definitely buy the real physical paperback for your bookshelf because the cover art is so beautiful!

I wanted to live in Japan with Jordan for a while and drink tea and go to some hot springs. Maybe I wouldn’t want to solve a series of murders...actually that might be cool too.

A murder mystery, a complex relationship, and new cultural practices to imagine and explore! What could be better? The setting and lost in translation style loneliness elevate this m
Lauren
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-adult
A wonderful debut mystery by my friend Meg! Figure out whodunnit while learning what it’s like to live in a small town in Japan. This is a great combination of tidbits about life and culture along with a romance and a series of mysterious incidents leading up to the exciting (nerve-wracking, page turning) chase near the end. Plus, there are so many food descriptions that I had to get [veggie] sushi after finishing the book! The main character, Jordan, is endearing from the start. Her determinati ...more
Jaslyn★
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved having Japan culture mixed into a murder mystery, it aids an extra layer of intrigue. Found this book hard to put down!
Kerry Henderson
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I was given a copy of this from librarything early readers in exchange for an honest review.

Jordan Howard is working at a school in Japan where she learns pupils are commuting suicide. There's rumours of a suicide club but Jordan begins to realize there's something much more sinisister going on.

This was quite a good read. I found it a little slow at times but the main story was quite good. I enjoyed the twist at the end which I hadn't figured out. I also liked the blossoming romance between he
Joyce
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

Jordan Howard, from the US, has accepted a position as high school English teacher in Japan. She is well liked by the students and she truly cares about them. Soon she is confronted by the death of several of her students who are said to have committed suicide, although those that knew them well said they were murdered. Jordan decides that she is going to find out the truth of what happened not realizing that she is putting herself at risk.
Katie Parker
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've never been to Japan, but this novel fueled my desire to get on a plane to Tokyo ASAP. Meg wrote about the people and their customs so well that I felt as though I learned them alongside Jordan. And Jordan herself? She felt like a friend by the end, which is a testament to the how well she was written.

No joke, the book had me in open-mouthed awe from the second page. I was blown away by Meg's unique phrasing and word choice that evoked more imagery than anything else I've read lately. I've a
Lady Delacour
Listened with TTS.
Clean with a little
Mild Foul Language.
Clarissa
Overall I found this book fun, although a little strange. It has some predictable elements - the crime aspects, but other parts are less predictable. I enjoyed the author's perspective of what it is like to work as a foreigner in a small Asian community/town. The author has an easy style of writing that allowed me to picture the scene quite clearly.
Belinda
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Coleen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good paced book; it just right for a mystery, but slow enough to feel like you are in rural Japan. I felt like I was in Japan the whole time even though I've never been. I like the way Meg describes things, especially the environment and setting. It made the setting develop as a character itself. It was really cool to read it that way.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

“Red Tea” is written as intricately as a puzzle box is carved.

Read full review in the 2018 July Aug issue of InD'tale Magazine.

Rachel
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, ebook, owned, arc
Murder mystery book that takes place in Japan at a high school, the main character is Jordan, an American teaching English at the school. Several students are thought to of committed suicide, but it is discovered that they were poisoned. Jordan does her own investigation and talks about her findings and theories with a Japanese cop that is very by the book. The characters are pretty one dimensional and the chapters move from action to action scene. I would of liked to see more introspective or d ...more
Jessica
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down! Can’t remember last time I read a book in a week 😂
Miles Zarathustra
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From leisurely unfolding to high-tension surprise ending, the language is lively and the plot engaging. We are transported to a provincial city in Japan, where the initial novelty and nervousness of the new substitute teacher blends into the charming details of local culture, as it all gradually entwines with the sinister mysterious plot. We are caught up in Jordan's impulse to get to the bottom of the case, from the nail-biting acts of bravery to the moments of triumph and revelation.

Easy and
Elsof
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Goodreads, you have failed me. Based on the rating, I read this book, and those are hours I will never recover. Thanks a lot, GR. This book should be marketed as a young adult mystery. Then, it wouldn't be as offensive that the ratings were as high as they were. The writing is simplistic and dull, the characters faint and uninspiring, and the plot was as transparent as a window. To offer a positive spin, perhaps this would be a good book for someone who struggles with or hates reading. But if yo ...more
Samah
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
i have many feeling after the completion
not all necessarily good
at times i even thought about dnf'ing the book but i just fought till it ended
WHAT I LIKED
-the japanese setting resonated with me so much as i am well aware of its culture and enjoy it a lot
WHAT I DIDN'T ENJOY
-the character in my opinion was bland,her logic behind doing stuff was beyond my understanding,seriously i would say she have no idea whatsoever of the consequences of her action and i know that if that was the case i should
Rebecca Mello
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

Jordan Howard is an American exchange teacher of English in Japan. When her students begin dying, Jordan knows something is off. Everyone says the deaths are a result of a suicide pact but Jordan thinks they might be murders. With the help of police officer, Toshihiko Sakurai, Jordan seeks to solve the mystery surrounding her student's deaths.

This book was a quick read and full of twists and turns. I did f
Shoohira Aftab
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could have been 200 pages less. A lot of unnecessary Japanese culture . It’s good if you want to read about japan not the mystery it self but it took too much time out of it. Still a good read.
Deborah
rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2018
Kelly
Aug 23, 2018
Meg Mezeske is a copywriter, podcaster, and dilettante who’s happy to finally call herself an author.

Meg likes to put her characters in her favorite places—like Japan. Meg lived and worked in Japan as the only Westerner in a small town. From teaching English to being an impromptu interpreter when a Russian ship ran ashore, Meg loved both the ordinary and extraordinary of Japanese life.

Now, she ret