Start by marking “Redemption's Blade (After the War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Redemption's Blade (After the War, #1)

Redemption's Blade

(After the War #1)

And then he died.

Celestaine—one of the heroes that destroyed him—has tasked herself with correcting the worst excesses of the Kinslayer’s brief reign, b
Published July 24th 2018 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Redemption's Blade, please sign up.
Santi Yes, it definitely stands alone well, it is the first one in the series with a "satisfying" ending (but also very likely to be continued). I enjoyed i…moreYes, it definitely stands alone well, it is the first one in the series with a "satisfying" ending (but also very likely to be continued). I enjoyed it quite a bit, starting the second one now, from a different author as you mentioned, which normally makes me suspicious but I want to see what happens next!(less)

Start your review of Redemption's Blade (After the War, #1)
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This was a truly epic fantasy but with the best twist... the story was told after the war was won!

I grew attached the the eclectic group of characters and loved how well developed they were.

With every book by Tchaikovsky, I fall in love with his writing more and more.

I'll be picking up more of his books ASAP!
Phrynne
Well this book was okay but I have now made my decision. This author writes superb sci fi but only average fantasy (my opinion).

Redemption's Blade is set in the aftermath of a major war and much time is spent by the main character agonising and moralising over what she has done and will do. There is a huge range of characters from all kinds of fantastical races, lots of magic and lots and lots of fight scenes. The magic is good. The fight scenes go on too long.

It was certainly an okay book but i
Emma
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book about ‘what comes after’. After the big battles and the world shaking events, when life is supposed to go back to normal, whatever that is or can be once the land is drenched in blood and everywhere death stands triumphant. Celestaine played the biggest of roles in that ‘before’ time, her sword raised against dragons and even the Kinslayer himself. Now, lost in a meaningless life, she seeks a cause to fight for, one which can bring back hope to a whole race de-winged by the cruel ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Oh, look - a way to write a fantasy hero story without beating me over the head with certain things. For that alone, I would have enjoyed this story even if it didn't feature the not so good band of characters.
Celestaine feels guilty and restless after the war that left the land completely ruined, to put it mildly. They are yet to witness the horrors the Kinslayer left behind. And you get some of it, in detail. She and her two Yorughan friends are after a very powerful item to restore at least
Faith
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
The Kinslayer has been vanquished by Celestaine and now she and her colleagues are at loose ends and need another goal. This comes in the form of a quest to find a magical crown that can restore wings to some of the victims of the war.

Reading this book was like reading the third book of a trilogy without having read the first two parts. The problem is, there are no prior books to inform you so it was hard to keep track of what was going on. The author introduces a jumble of people, objects, cre
K.J. Charles
Exceedingly enjoyable high fantasy set *after* the Dark Lord's defeat. The world is a wreck, and while some people are trying to claw lives back together, others would prefer to keep fighting, see opportunities for personal enrichment, are looking for redemption, or just don't know what to do.

This gives us our band of heroes--orcs, warrior woman, sort of flying elf person, undead bard--and there's also various rather shamefaced demigods kicking about. It's all thoroughly entertaining. The set u
Nick Borrelli
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5

Click here for full review:

I first discovered British writer Adrian Tchaikovsky about ten years ago when I had the pleasure of stumbling across his excellent Fantasy series Shadows of the Apt. It was such a fresh and well-written Fantasy series and as a result I immediately became a huge fan of his, purchasing everything that I could get my hands on as soon as it was released. Another amazing read from him is his stand-alone Science-Fiction nov
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/12/01/...

I was not exactly disappointed by Redemption’s Blade, but having gotten a sense of what Adrian Tchaikovsky is capable of, I think I might have expected a little more from this one. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a bad book or even a mediocre one. However, by its very nature, the novel’s premise does not lend itself well to being something to get all that excited about.

For you see, Redemption’s Blade is ver
Dave
Redemption’s Blade is an absolutely thrilling sword and fantasy tale. What Tchaikovsky does is set his story in the aftermath of the Great War and its consequences. And that makes for very interesting storytelling and a backstory of considerable depth. Just imagine a world where the Dark Lord of Mordor has been defeated after years of terrifying battles against all manner of fell creatures, but the evil things haven’t faded into the earth and there isn’t one King of Gondor to unite everyone. And ...more
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
Wow!

This book is simply put one of the best books I've read this year!

As only my second read by this author I wasn't entirely sure what to expect with Redemption's Blade, I mean the idea of the book sounded fantastic, showing the aftermath of a war instead of the usual lead up and during the war encounters we get in fantasy. I was reeled in by the idea but as said I ha no idea what I was actually going to get.

So what did I get? Well, what I got was the most fabulous and entirely gripping fantasy
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💥 April 12, 2020: only $0.99 today!!!

Megan
The war is over. The demigod Kinslayer has been defeated. His shattered army of monsters is left aimless, the land is in ruins, and slowly, tentatively, people are starting to rebuild.

And this, right here, is going to be a deal-breaker for some people. They want to see the moment the hero Celestaine infiltrated the Kinslayer's fortress, took her magic sword and ended him. They want to see the battles, the sieges, a pain-crazed dragon wading into the fray and destroying friend and foe alike, obje
Scott  Hitchcock
I had to put this down and restart it several times. It was a slog from start to finish. My previous two books from AT Guns of the Dawn and Children of Time were both 5* efforts making this even more of a disappointment.

Things are after the epic battle to end all battles and they keep flashing back to them as a telling. It would have been better to show the battles.
Koeur
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Publishing Date: July 2018

Publisher: Solaris

ISBN:9781781085790

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 4.3/5

Publisher’s Description: Ten years ago, the Kinslayer returned from the darkness. His brutal Yorughan armies issued from the pits of the earth, crushing all resistance, leaving burnt earth and corruption behind. Thrones toppled and cities fell. And then he died. Celestaine – one of the heroes that destroyed him – has tasked herself with correcting the worst excesses of the Kinslayer’s brief reign, bringing l
Sibil
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readtoreview
Thanks to NetGalley and to the editor. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was hoping to read something by this author from some time, now. I heard good things about his books and he writes fantasy, not only them but most of his books are of this genre, so, obviously I wanted to try them! And when I saw this title on NetGalley I had to request it. I know that I said that I would have tried to not add new requests, but come on! I’m justified, right?
Anyway… I requeste
Standback
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic, adventure, 2018
This is a really cool, intriguing project.

It takes the style and tropes of "light," jovial epic fantasy, but sets the whole thing after The Horrible Dark One has been defeated -- and now, what needs to be done is much less fighting monsters or riding into battle, and much more rebuilding society from the ground up. (And, not letting everybody else rip it apart.)

Possibly most representativve is when the protagonist, Celeste, comes to some traders and goes, "Hi, I'm one of the reknowned Slayers. I
Quintin Zimmermann
A high altitude free fall into a world of events so far past the present that you are literally left behind before you have even landed.

Deploy that parachute and crash land Terra Nova without a map, without any point of reference.

A whole trilogy has occurred and all we have is now, the calamitous leftovers.

Redemption's Blade is like Sandra Bullock arriving on the scene of Speed after the bus exploded, like John McClane entering the Nakatomi high-rise days after Christmas. Sarah Connor is dead an
Nadine
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Redemption’s Blade follows a band of characters after the epic war has been fought and won. The main character, Celestaine, is on a mission to right the wrongs of the war while wrestling with her own transgressions, guilt, and desires. Redemption’s Blade has a lot of interesting and well-written characters, but Tchaikovsky’s choice to inform the reader of significant world building information in a piecemeal fashion left much to be desired.

Incredibly fascinating and compelling characters surroun
Oleksandr Zholud
This is a fantasy novel by Adrian Tchaikovsky, whom I previously admired for his great SF, namely, Children of Time, Children of Ruin and The Expert System's Brother. I had high expectations about this one as well, but it failed me.

The premise is great: just before the story started, valiant heroes defeated Great Evil Power, think end of The Lord of the Rings for example. And now peace and a reconstruction should start, everyone living happily ever after. Not so fast… :)

Celestaine was one of the
Hannah Cassie
I love high fantasy but I had such a hard time reading this one, not for it being bad itself but I just really did not care for any of it unfortunatly.
Lata
Anyone familiar with epic fantasy is sure to recognize a story of a land with different peoples, and a terribly strong being who accumulates power through oppression, magic, the creation of foul beasts and armies, the eradication of governing bodies, gods and religions, and the destruction of the environment.
Well, what happens after a band of heroes kill this guy? Adrian Tchaikovsky asks this question in this book, starting the story a little while after the baddie’s death (he was known as the K
Sherwood Smith
Tchaikovsky gives us an entire world with PTSD.

The way I see it is, epic fantasy published in the last forty years is in some measure in conversation with Lord of the Rings, whether pretty much reflecting the structure of the story, or thumbing its nose at its themes (a lot of grimdark fantasies seem to have been inspired by this), or—in more complex books—grappling with a more contemporary view of Tolkien’s themes, while respecting the core.

This is such a book.

It takes place after the huge war
Gabi
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-to-follow
This was the first Tchaikovsky I couldn't get into.
Perhaps it was the wrong time? I can't put my finger on what didn't work. I will try another read some time later.
Para (wanderer)
What happens after the Dark Lord has been defeated?
“For that thing only, for the most selfish of reasons, I regret we killed him. We fought and we hurt and some of us died, but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed being a hero. I knew I was doing the right thing. I knew I was alive. And now he’s dead and we’re…lost. It’s like the world expected us to die with him, and doesn’t know what to do with us.”
I have been looking for books dealing with consequences of war and upheaval for a long, long time. I find
Liviu
reasonably good and engaging but kind of far from the awesome Apt series - the characters and world building paled compared to the ones in the Apt series though they were interesting enough to keep me reading till the end, the tone was sort of ironic, let's throw in all the fantasy tropes and add some sfnal one with no real rules, so at any moment anything could happen kind which again can work if done well but it lessened the tension and stakes as basically the magic mcguffin/supernatural being ...more
Ryan
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, female-lead
This is a story about a woman with a magic sword that can cut through anything and Tchaikovsky does some fun stuff to test it (and her) out. I mostly geeked out about the Sword and all its uses, but in this story of a world where everyone is trying to recover from a great big battle in which good just about triumphed over evil there's a focus on the trauma and loss of war that I also appreciated.
The only whimsical aspect to the story comes in the form of a cowardly deity who failed to show up t
Jane
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes we forget why we do something. What we enjoyed about it. Our reasons for giving up large chunks of our leisure time to a fantasy world, an odyssey, a book series without a visible end in sight and many strange names and places to assimilate along the way. So forgive me this indulgent review of Redemption’s Blade by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It isn’t a nuts and bolts analysis of the plot, world building and execution of words and sentences in any semblance of a formulaic review. It’s about wh ...more
Soullessmaiden
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed Redemption's Blade immensely. It's a fun adventure story with a great premise - we're following a group of characters/heroes after the final battle between the forces of good and evil. The book focuses on the aftermath of the Great War and how different peoples deal with what happened to their homelands and nations. The plot itself is pretty simple and tropey though - the characters are on the hunt for a magical object of great power. The characters are well-developed and intriguing ...more
RG
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. We have a standard different race fantasy story ( they arent elfs dwarves etc) but more so the standard d and d classes. However, the evil villain has been disposed, and the world needs to pick up the pieces. Led by the female warrior who defeated this character, they head on a mission through previous enemy territory discovering towns and races who are also moving on from this defeat. They have all have motives dependant on which sided they were on. The world building is ...more
Tom Lloyd
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another quality Tchaikovsky story, funny, intelligent and warm - the plot being somewhat incidental which didn't help, but lots to keep your interest all the way. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hugo & Nebula Awa...: I'm not making a habit of this, but . . . 6 21 Jul 08, 2019 09:26PM

• The Shattered Skies
  • Echogenesis
  • Escape from Yokai Land
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (The Siege, #1)
  • The Witness for the Dead (The Cemeteries of Amalo, #1)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Labyrinth Index (Laundry Files, #9)
  • The Councillor (The Councillor, #1)
  • The Outside (The Outside, #1)
  • The Hand of the Sun King (Pact and Pattern, #1)
  • Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
  • The Girl and the Moon (Book of the Ice, #3)
  • Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • A Demon in Silver (War of the Archons #1)
  • Hexarchate Stories
  • Soul of the World (The Ascension Cycle, #1)
  • The Stars Now Unclaimed (The Universe After #1)
ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY was born in Lincolnshire and studied zoology and psychology at Reading, before practising law in Leeds. He is a keen live role-player and occasional amateur actor and is trained in stage-fighting. His literary influences include Gene Wolfe, Mervyn Peake, China Miéville, Mary Gently, Steven Erikson, Naomi Novak, Scott Lynch and Alan Campbell.

After the War (3 books)