Start by marking “Daughter of Kali: Awakening” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Kali: Awakening

Daughter of Kali: Awakening

Kaz Deva just wants to be a normal 15 year old. She has normal problems after all; she never knew her dad, she's the only Indian girl in school, and the boy she's crushing on prefers her best friend.

But when her teacher turns into a monster before her very eyes, Kaz is drawn into a world of demons and gods, myth and magic. Nothing is as it seems – her Mum has secret super
Kindle Edition
Published May 24th 2018 by Peach Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Kali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Kali

Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started 'Daughter of Kali: Awakening' the day after I finished 'Deep Silence', the 10th book of the Joe Ledger series. For anyone who has followed that series, you know it's an extremely hard act to come after. I was fully expecting to mildly enjoy this book at best, as I would be fully enveloped in a book hangover. So, imagine my surprise when I almost instantly found myself liking 'Daughter of Kali'.

This is a quick, enjoyable young adult urban fantasy read. It's got a kick-ass Indian versio
Kitiera Morey
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This! This book is what I’ve been searching for, for a long while now. If not apparent, I adore supernatural stories that aren’t romance oriented, and Daughter of Kali sure did deliver. Yes, there’s some sexual attraction the main character feels for another, but it doesn’t distract from the main story. The author gives exactly what they promised, and I couldn’t be happier.

Kaz, the MC, is a lot of fun. She ac
Lee Hall
Original page turning action with a powerful voice that speaks of prophecy, coming of age and warriors...

On the surface 'Daughter of Kali' would appear to be just another teen/young adult story but in reality it is so much more and carries a level of sophistication that gives it a much wider appeal.

We are introduced to 'Kaz' who is a feisty and likeable main character, she carries the story as a girl who stands out from the very beginning. She's the only Indian girl in an English school and is
Earik Beann
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I tend not to read too much YA fiction, mostly because I get tired of the teen-angst/coming-of-age/etc themes that are so prevalent in that genre. I also find that YA tends to be a little sanitized compared to adult fiction, with no swearing, killing, or the general mayhem that I enjoy in non-YA genres. After the first chapter or two, I was lulled into the belief that this would follow my stereotypes and just be another Percy Jackson-esque story, only with Hindu gods. And that's right around the ...more
Karin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice change

It is so nice; as a US reader to see different voices as protagonist. And Kaz is wonderful. The mythology fresh to my learning; the twisty bits not quite as easy to workout as I expected.
The pace does drag at some points. Some stereotypical YA tropes thrown in but nothing that detracted or distracted for long if at all. Well worth reading.
Kali
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book here on goodreads.I liked it it was a great story.the characters in the book where we'll written. It was an overall great book
Brandy
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Something Different.

I chose the rating because it's a good book nonetheless. I loved the whole mysterious aspect of the book. I wished it kept going. I guess I'll be reading more of the series sometime.

Note: I did received this through Goodreads Giveaway.
Ruth
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kaz Deva is English but her mother Mari decorates their home with Indian gods and keepsakes, cooks Indian foods, and uses incense. Kaz is mortified her mother will not forget the land Mari knew as a child. Kaz does not rank very high in classes so she is lucky to have Em, best and only friend. Em is precocious; virtual, digital, mechanical science keeps her looking and finding new challenges the will eventually save her friends from a dark future. Mari, working nights as health aide to elderly w ...more
lostinabookbrb
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Daughter of Kali gave me a bit of nostalgia for the days when I watched shows like Buffy: The Vampire Slayer or I read what I can safely dub "magical girl" series. I loved those types of stories and still do. So, thank you, Daughter of Kali for letting me feel the same way as I did then.

Kaz is the main character in this book and she's different than a lot of characters I run across. For one, she's Hindu and a second generation immigrant. She stands out in her school due to this and has to deal w
Brie McGirr Proofreading
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! I highly recommend!
Anindya Biswas
Diane Hernandez
Kitten Foxx
Alesha Lenard
Sep 01, 2018
Goodreads Reviewe...: YA urban fantasy with a diverse twist 1 6 Oct 07, 2018 02:18PM
  • Wayline: A Science Fiction Novel
  • Daughter of the Zel (Daughter of the Zel, #1)
  • The Soul Trapper (Superpowers Romance #3)
  • Daughter of the Sun (The Solara Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Magic Flute
  • DarkSkull Hall (The Mage Chronicles #1)
  • Feeling Groovy: How Sensitive People Find Meaning, the Confidence to Express Themselves and Create Fulfilling Lives
  • Keep Away From GRAS: Generally Recognized As Safe
  • Darkness Between the Stars (Eaters of the Light #1)
  • The Trace (Whitewashed, #1)
  • The Woodcutter King
  • The Protectors
  • Dama X (UltraSecurity, #2)
  • Chausiku The Blood of the Clans Book Three
  • Allure of Home (The Gifted, #1)
  • Tamisan (Tamisan Book 1)
  • Thalassa: The World Beneath the Waves (The Tethys Trilogy #1)
  • Age of Asango: Book I
Shiulie Ghosh is a TV news presenter. She was born in the UK to a Bengali father and English mother, who moved the family to India for several years when she was a toddler, thus instilling in her a life-long love of chicken curry and riding on trains where you can actually hang out of the door.
She grew up to be an award-winning journalist, and over the past twenty years has worked for some of the