Start by marking “The Silver Ladies of London: Four heroines, a scandal, a secret and a silver Rolls Royce” as Want to Read:

1920's London. This is a heart-warming story of friendship, loyalty, courage and love. Perfect for the fans of Elaine Everest and Daisy Styles.

Dismissed without references when their employer's valuable necklace goes missing, friends Ruth, Lydia, Jenny and Grace try to rebuild their lives far from home in London.
A surprise financial inheritance and gift of a beautiful

Kindle Edition
Published July 1st 2018 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Ladies of London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Ladies of London

Kristina
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Silver Ladies of London by Lesley Eames sweeps readers back in time to 1923. Ruth Turner is returning to her employer’s home of Arleigh Court after a surprising meeting. Unfortunately, the day quickly takes a downturn when Ruth along with her three friends are accused of stealing Mrs. Arleigh’s necklace and dismissed without references. Unable to find employment in their town because of the accusations of thievery, Ruth comes up with a plan. She inherited some funds along with a carriage hou ...more
Donna Maguire

I absolutely LOVED this story - it was excellent, very well written and it has some brilliant characters!!

I loved the setting for the book and it was a delight for me to read. The writing style is excellent and you do feel as though you are living the story with Ruth, Lydia, Jenny and Grace! I love books of this period and historical fiction is one of my favourite genres and this one will be up there with my top reads of the year so far.

Five stars from me,
Lynda Dunwell
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Greatly enjoyed reading this heart-warming saga set in the 1920s. Well rounded characters, young women making their way in a male dominated world but doing it in style. Each has their hang-ups and their doubts but together they make a success of a chauffeur business driving a beautiful Silver Rolls Royce. They drive, they organise, they promote their business, triumph over discrimination and meet worthy menfolk - bravo to the girls or should I say chauffeuses. Highly recommend this read for a co ...more
Annarella
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very lovely story, well written and interesting.
I loved the story, the unusual profession of the heroines and the way they were written, so realistic and full of life.
A fun and enjoyable read.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Aria and Netgalley for this ARC
ABCme
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Aria for the ARC.

It's early 20th century when four young woman are being fired from their servant jobs in the English countryside for a crime they didn't commit. They decide to move to London and start up their own business. Quite a daring thing to do in a man's world. A string of exciting events follows, moving at a good pace, entertaining me all the way.
The characters are very well developed, a team of lovely ladies, each with her own quirks. Such a joy to see them gro
Mystica
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
1920s London a time of great change. Four friends in rural England, all under immense pressure of their own. All seeking a way out of their present circumstances. It came in a very strange way.

Accused of a theft of a valuable necklace, dismissed without references which in a small town was a death knell for any hopes of finding employment, the four girls face a very bleak future. An unexpected inheritance for one of the girls who is determined that all four should benefit, they take themselves o
Rachel
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Refreshingly original. Here is a cast of characters any reader can identify with, and a story full of rich historical details. My one complaint is that I couldn't put it down, and now I'm sad that it's over. This needs to be a series - and a Netflix Original. It would be fantastic.
I would like to thank Ms. Eames for a book with sweet, clean romance, sappy, but not overly so - not to what I call "Hallmark-y". I loved the characters, I loved their individuality and Ms. Eames ability to write from
beverley ann
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the year 1923, Ruth,Lydia,jenny and Grace, female chauffeurs running the business The Silver Girls. its a hard struggle for all these ladies in a mans world, this book gripped me from chapter one, it takes us through love, fallouts,tragedy and happy times along the way. i loved every bit of this book
Katherine Hayward Pérez
A 1920s tale of a group of ladies who are dismissed from work and try to put their lives back together again. They end up setting up a business where they drive a silver Rolls Royce they inherited. This is a very original idea for a group of friends who are trying to survive in male-dominated London where they moved to from a rural area of England. The Silver Ladies of London is a very fast-paced and engaging historical fiction novel and I'd recommend it. The characters are well fleshed-out too. ...more
Mary
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set between the World Wars, this book gives us glimpse into the changing times. Going from servants to entrepreneurs, our heroines are living life to the fullest at a time when there were not a lot of opportunities. I really enjoyed the story and the writing of this book. I received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
Isobel
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved everything about this book, especially the characters. I enjoyed being swept along by their stories and couldn't wait to read what happened next. Definitely one of my favourite reads of the year so far and looking forward to reading other books by this author in the future.
Mary Schmidt
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome fiction romance plus

I just finished reading this fabulous story. I loved the era it was set in and of course London even though I'm from the USA. The characters are unique as are their situations in the world of true love. The plot is solid, and the novel moves along in great fashion. The tie up of the characters near the end gave a sense of happiness and love unending. Extremely few errors noted and they don't take away from this 5 star book!!
Alice Milan
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

A great story with terrific characters. I have a soft spot for Hux and fell madly in love with Jonny. Loved it from start to finish.
Kathleen Gray
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ruth, Lydia, Jenny, and Grace are a dynamic team of women who are ahead of their time. Set in the 1920s, this novel explores how these four picked themselves up from being fired from their jobs. Admittedly, the set up for this is a little unrealistic- an inherited silver Rolls Royce- but it's still cool. Becoming chauffeurs is not something many would have opted for as a rebound but it works for them. The women are well fleshed out and you'll probably find a favorite (not telling which was mine! ...more
Gina
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC for my Kindle.
An interesting about women who fight and succeed to do jobs that normally were considered only for men. An easy read with a romance and a good ending.
Robbie White
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I very quickly became immersed in these characters and their plight in life. I loved how they each had completely different personalities but they also had their quirks and issues. I thought they meshed well together.
I found myself getting frustrated with the uppity "ladies" in the book and the men that gave them a hard time but then I remembered that was how the MAN's world was back then and women can be mean to each other even today.
This was a quick but enjoyable book for me and I would prop
Grace J Reviewerlady
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting to read this for quite some time; just needed a little gap in my tbr and I have to say it was well worth waiting for!

Ruth, Lydia, Jenny and Grace are four young women who have become friends through working and living together; but it comes as a shock when they are all dismissed, albeit unfairly, on the same day. With very little chance of finding further employment in the small town of Ruston, they decide to head off to London in the hope of improving their lot in life, with t
moira manson
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silver ladies

Oh wow this book was amazing why have i left it so long before reading it i loved the exploits of the girls feisty Lydia ,soft hearted Grace, pretty Jenny, and lovable Ruth what an adventure 5 STARS .
Catherine James
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I tend to find it very difficult to read fictional stories for a variety of reasons but I found this book very engaging and easy to read. I loved the historical aspect and a lot of research has clearly gone into creating an authentic portrayal of London in the 1920s. Highly recommended!
Joanne D'Arcy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye, it looked like my sort of book -  historical saga. I know nothing of the author and so decided to take a risk, it was either going to work or not.

I am pleased to say it worked and it worked really well that I had to keep reading, way past my bedtime! (Thank goodness I was on holiday!)

1923 Northampton.

Four girls Ruth, Lydia, Jenny and Grace all work together in a big house in domestic roles.

That is until the day they are dismissed without references.

But that is the day th
Janette
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book set in 1920's London, it is a heart-warming story of friendship, loyalty, courage and love which I couldn't put down.

Well written with a great cast of characters, I loved the relationships between the four girls. It was lovely to read of such strong women in the male-dominated 1920s. The characters were all believable and engaging. A story of love, tragedy, new beginnings with ups and downs throughout.

I was surprised to find out this was a debut novel as it is so well written
chlorinda naish
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Cars!

Did not get into this book, found I could not pick up from where I left off ,as easy as other books. Had to go back a couple of pages to see if I could . I am sure others found it a good book but I thought it lost its way.Sorry.
B A Johnson