Start by marking “Mr. Darcy: Cogs Maketh the Man” as Want to Read:
Mr. Darcy: Cogs Maketh the Man

Mr. Darcy: Cogs Maketh the Man

Who hasn't read Pride and Prejudice and said to themselves - that was a great read, but it would be even better with air ships and clockwork servants! So buckle up for this steampunk reimagining of the Jane Austen classic as told from Mr. Darcy's perspective. ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 23rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Darcy

Start your review of Mr. Darcy: Cogs Maketh the Man
Anna Fitzwilliam
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a weird book!
Shala Howell
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adore reading Jane Austen fan fiction. I’ve read so many of them that i can’t remember the last time one of them surprised me with a plot twist. I don’t mind. Part of the comfort of this hobby is visiting old friends in familiar places.

Joan Wendland wrote this particular retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy’s point of view with a dollop of steampunk-ery. Wickham’s regiment in Meryton has airships and Darcy’s fortune comes at least in part from the sale of clockwork servants.

While she
David
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Expert Reimagining

In this clever retelling of Pride & Prejudice from Darcy’s perspective, author Joan Wendland provides some interesting steampunk hypotheses on the nature of Mr. Darcy and of the evolution of polite British society - and masculinity in particular - that Austen pokes at in the original. Faithful to the original plot, Wendland nevertheless manages to provide new and compelling views of well-known story points mixed with humor and a few original moments Austen couldn’t have imag
Marie
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Way out there..But it works

I normally like my JAFF with just a twist to make it interesting. So, I wasn't sure I'd like this based on the description. Loved it though. Try it. The surprise at the end is worth it.
D.M. Dore
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Darcy: Cogs Maketh the Man by Joan Wendland is a delightful retelling of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice… with a twist.

The story is told through Dr. Darcy’s perspective, giving readers the chance to see through his eyes as he meets Elizabeth Bennet, her family, and struggles to deal with emotions he’s not quite sure what to do with… not to mention a revelation that could change everything.

The language stayed true to the classic, and the added steampunk flavoring was seamlessly spread thr
Joan Wendland
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
To be clear here - I WROTE this book. I think it's pretty spiffy. ...more
Melissa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun read from an interesting perspective. I highly recommend you give it a try if you love a good P&P retelling!
A.C. Merkel
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an odd book!

I like odd though! Enjoyed this a lot. Steampunk pride and prejudice wasn’t some thing I knew I needed in my life. This is definitely that. Well written and the elements from outside P&P are carefully woven in. You barely register them at first.
Charles Gull
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People looking for a sideways look and Regency Romance.
4 out of 5 stars as ‘Pride and Prejudice’ politely invites ‘I Robot’ to dinner in the towns, villages and countryside of a Steampunk Regency England.

Read my full, spoiler free, review on my website.
Shanna Cummings
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Clever Twist...

...both in Darcy’s character and in some explanation of key events from his perspective. A few truly Jane-Austen-like silver-tongued observations, as well. As a Janeite and steampunk fan, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Jerimi
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun read, and honestly a great mood-lift while going through a challenging time. I’m so glad I read it.
Sisi_k