Start by marking “The Church Mice at Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Church Mice at Christmas

The Church Mice at Christmas

(The Church Mice #7)

One morning a few days before Christmas, Arthur and Humphrey, the leaders of the church mice, decided to have a Christmas party. But parties cost money, and the mice would have to come up with some special fund-raising ideas.
Published November 1st 1980 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about The Church Mice at Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church Mice at Christmas

Hilary
I read this as a child so was very pleased to find this again just before Christmas at a book sale. The illustrations are lovely, packed with detail and sometimes many on each page, you can see so much time went in to creating this book.

The mice plan to have a Christmas party but being as poor as church mice they have no means of getting party food. They decide to raffle the church cat Sampson who has taken a vow not to eat mice. It doesn't go to plan but after an exciting adventure their party
Bionic Jean
The Church Mice at Christmas is a whimsical and slightly surreal picture book, written and illustrated by Graham Oakley. It one of a series of half a dozen he wrote about the doughty, valiant church mice, and was first published in 1980. If you admire Reepicheep from C.S. Lewis’s Narnia Chronicles, you may well feel an affection for this little band of mice too.

In the story the mice are getting excited about the imminent prospect of Christmas, and admiring the Christmas tree in the church porch.
Kathleen Dixon
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, humour, christmas
As always, Oakley presents an hilarious comment on humanity, through the unique guise of these church mice and Sampson the cat. Only mice could have the adventures they do - for example, their attempts at carol singing are funny because of their size - but on the other hand the characters are so wonderfully human. When they meet "Father Christmas," Humphrey launches into his list:
"Good evening, Father Christmas sir. I am Humphrey, and what I want for Christmas is a quadrophonic record player, a
Rosemary
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Whenever the holiday madness grows too great, I retreat to this funny, sly tale (the words and the pictures don't match -- to great comic effect). Following the mice on their chaotic Christmas trip through their little town is more fun than a barrel of sugar plums.
Abigail
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Oakley's Church Mice Stories
The seventh entry in Graham Oakley's series of picture-books devoted to the adventures of a group of church mice and their cat companion, The Church Mice at Christmas sees Arthur and Humphrey determined to raise the money they need to throw a Christmas party. When their efforts to raffle Sampson off prove less than successful, and their caroling venture ends in disaster, they find that an unexpected encounter with a most unusual Santa Claus does the trick...

After my experiences with the previous
Jenn
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book tried to be cute and I tried to like it. There is quite a bit of text and a lot of highly detailed pictures, but almost too many per page. The story itself was okay, although it was very British in feeling. I think it would have done better as an animated movie/cartoon rather than as a book. The middle of the story is rather tedious and the ending was just okay.

So, we can probably skip this one.

My Favorite Picture:
The cat-reindeer taking the Santa mice for a ride in their sled.

My Least
Cindy
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this again today, it is as good as ever. Probably next year this book will be at my son's house for him to read to his little one.
Roane Swindon
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story for kids, and the illustrations are so beautifully detailed!
Clwseattle
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
The Church Mice at Christmas is my first 'Church Mice' book. How ever did that happen? The story and especially the detailed illustrations are quite sophisticated but does not negate the wonderful humor. I look forward to catching up with the other shenanigans of the "Church Mice"
Barbara
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur and Humphrey are determined to have a Christmas party, but how are they going to pay for it? As usual, none of their plans go exactly as intended, but the party does eventually happen.
Also as usual, the pictures are glorious, and poor Sampson is put to work.
NightAuditMan
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Aside from "A Christmas Carol" this is one of the few books I can honestly remember having it read to me as a little boy durng Christmastime.

It was one of my favourites not because it was humorous but becaue my family shares the same last name as the author, and as a little boy stuff like that is important.

Much to the chagrin of my wife I still have this book in our christmas-book pile, and I have read it to my chilrend a few times but the sharp wit seems a little too much for them right now.
Beverly
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-holiday, pbf-cats
This is one book of a very funny series of books, in which the church mice run the church cat's life. In this book, the church mice decide to raffle off the cat in order to obtain money to throw a Christmas party. Most of the cute illustrations are in panels, with a couple of full page spreads.
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
As always, wonderful illustrations. Logan loves looking at all the details. We didn't laugh as much as we have with other Church Mice books though.
Judith
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book with lovely illustrations. A childhood favourite for Christmas time
Eyehavenofilter
Christmas time aeries at the rectory and can a cat and his mouse friends survive the mayhem that is ChristmS at church? Only time will tell if Sampson the cat doesn't lose his whiskers!
Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite Church Mice books. I particularly love the illustrations of the mice running through the toy shop.
Ann
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
One in the series by Graham Oakley ... all are the adventures of the "church mice" and Sampson the cat ... wonderful ! The illustrations are exquisite !!
ABC
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
I think this book was supposed to be funny, but the humor just fell sort of flat. It is about some mice who want to throw a Christmas party.
Kate Bystrova
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book!
Melanie Rightmyer
The story is charming and the illustrations are amazing! Each picture is filled with so much detail that you will want to stop and study them.
Alina White
Jul 29, 2011
Amanda
Dec 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Graham Oakley is a children's book author and illustrator, most active during the 1960s to 1980s. He is best known for the Church Mice series and also illustrated many book covers in the 60s.

For the current UK author of children's books at Top That! press see Graham Oakley.

The Church Mice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Church Mouse