Start by marking “The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky” as Want to Read:
The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky

The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky

Book by Farah Ahmedi, Tamim Ansary
Published April 22nd 2005 by Simon Spotlight Entertainment (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of My Life

Fiona
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading for all High Schoolers and those of us lucky to live comfortable lives in suburban America. Once you have read this book you will never again look at someone obviously from a different culture from you in the same light.
I picked it up by chance while browsing at the bookstore and read it easily in a couple of hours. It is written in the transparent style and emotional clarity of a child. You can almost sense the translation of language and culture as Farah's limited li
Johna Thaut
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! In some ways I was shocked that I enjoyed this book so much, because non-fiction books usually don't appeal to me. I typically look for books that have to do with things like ghosts or mysteries. This book was not something that I planned on enjoying, because it wasn't my typical reading style. To my surprise, this book introduced me to a new kind of writing that I enjoy.
I think that I loved this book so much because the events that took place in the book usually are
Kelly
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yal
This was a riveting story that served as a window into a world I have no experience with. The number and magnitude of obstacles the author faced in her childhood was stunning.
Naomi R
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is about an Islamic Afghan girl called Farah Ahmedi. The first part of the book is about her younger days in Afghanistan then specifically her 2 years in Germany. After that it talks about her short return home and moving to a near by country. The entire book was written in Farah's point of view. This story is enticing and will keep you at the verge of tears the whole time.
When Farah was 7 she was running late to school so she foolishly decided to go on a shortcut that would take her
Nina
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was seriously amazing and I am not kidding. It is about a afghan girl. The main Character Farah. Something horrible happens to her and she learns how to be responsible and control her life. She learns how to make her life the best it can be. The book tells how she gets threw her life and makes it how she wants it to be.
The main thing that got me was how dirty they keep everything over there. Her main goal is to get to America so her and her mom can live peacfully. This in non-fiction
Victoria Poerll
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: a preteen suburban girl
How this author got a book deal is possibly the best set-up for a crappy book that I've heard so far. She won a contest to tell her story that was voted on by the public. Guaranteed to be a best seller, yes, but does it have any content?

The story isn't particularly poorly written, but it does read like a long, extended livejournal entry. But by her telling the story of her life in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, how she stepped on a land mine and went to Germany to get treated, and the problems
Karen
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-the-world
This is a wonderful memoir. At the tender age of seven, Farah Ahmedi stepped on a land mine, and she was put in the hospital. The hospital did not have the resources to deal with her injuries so she was flown to Germany, where she had multiple surgeries. She lived in Germany for two years without any family members (remember she was seven). She was sent back to her family, but the wars in her country were escalating. Farah and her mother were forced to flee Afghanistan when the Taliban invaded K ...more
Sandy Watson
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This girl was the same age as one of my sons and it just seemed to make it personal. I saw the contrast to the lives they both had lived, just because she happened to be born in a war torn country where life and limb were both disposable. Her siblings were killed, her father was killed and her mother lost her ability to cope.
It was very moving and inspirational to see how she managed to make a new life for herself.
Erin
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
I listened to this book on CD. The story itself was very interesting. The things that happen are not even things I could imagine. However, once the author comes to America, she is, at times, almost ungrateful about the support given to her. This kind of turned me off to her.
Amber
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
I have a special bias for biographies, especially for those about people different from me, who suffer though life, and their story educate. This is one of those books.
Eryn
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's very inspiring. It makes you think about what other people are going through in other countries and how spoiled (some of) us Americans are.
Louise
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
Farah was seven-years-old and had overslept one morning. Worried that she was late for school she decided to take a short cut through a field, saving her two or three minutes but little did Farah know that decision would turn out to be the worst of her life. Sadly, Farah stepped on a land mine! Quickly a crowd gathered around her but no one seemed to know what to do until a neighbour came along, hailed a taxi and put Farah onto the back seat and delivered her to the hospital. Farah was in so muc ...more
Ana Farida
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judul : The Afghanistan Girl
Penulis : Farah Ahmedi dan Tamim Ansary
Penerbit : Imania
Tebal Buku : 334 halaman

Farah adalah tugu keteguhan. Dia tidak pernah berputus asa dengan segala musibah yang telah menimpanya di saat usianya baru menginjak 9 tahun. Meskipun dia kehilangan kedua tungkai kakinya, dia tetap semangat dalam menjalani hidup. Perang saudara di Afghanistan menyebabkan ayah, kakak dan adik perempuannya meninggal karena sebuah rudal meluncur dan menghancurkan sebagian rumah Farah. Keti
Eden
Farah was born in Afghanistan and was fairly happy there with her family. But, one day while on her way to school, she stepped on a landmine and she lost a leg. She was lucky enough to be chosen to go to Germany, but while she was gone for nearly two years the war had gotten worse in her home country.

After losing her father, sisters and eventually brothers, Farah does the work she is able to support herself and her mother.

When Farah hears some group is taking widows and children to America, she
G Stephen
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I got Farad's audio book because we have been working in relief and development in Afganistan since 1984. It is a well narrated book, an uplifting account the suffering of a child and of people who come into our lives and believe in us, love us and walk with us through the difficulties of life in Afghanistan, Pakistan and in America.

Farad, a young, Hazara girl, has lived an unbelievable life before reaching the age of 15. Her story is a first hand picture of the devastation of a beautiful count
Max Ostrovsky
A story that, unfortunately, is becoming more and more familiar. It's a story of an injured girl who becomes a refugee and how she adjusts to a completely different society.
Too often, and too easily, people are willing to divide human beings as being on one side or another, forgetting that we're all human beings. Sure, some have different view points, but ultimately, what individual doesn't? We're all unique, yet we are all part of what humanity is.

If this book can do anything for its mostly y
Rajeshree Vejasegaran
The Other Side on The Sky , a memoir by Farah Ahmedi is an inspiring story of an Afghan girl who had suffered disability when she stepped on the land mine. Unfortunately,she also had lost her family and homeland due to war in Kabul. Farah is a woman who has so much self-will planted in her and indeed a remarkable individual. Despite being a victim to cruel circumstances of fate, she never gives up and thrive to survive the painful experience and also takes care of her mum.

"With a life like mi
Lauren Brown
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every single person in there world should have to read this book! At birth we should be handed this book so when we can read our mind will be filled with a story of bravery, courage, determination and haedship. This book allowed me to glimpse into a life I could not imagine. It goes to show how ignorant some people are but this woman's words show the love other people have. This book (not to be cliché) changed my thought process. Love it everyone needs this book, more now than ever.
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is lovely. It's the story of a girl with a lot of bad luck, but even more grit and tenacity. She's inspirational. The time line gets a bit tangled now and again but this was a very engaging read. Impressive for such a young thing.

Her mother's impressions of America were particularly eye opening.
Holly
Oct 29, 2009 rated it liked it
This book gives us a glimpse of what it is like to be a female in Afghanistan. After completing this book, I feel more gratitude for the freedom that I experience in America. This is a compelling story of hope, redemption, and promise.
Muatasem Faden
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Today this remarkable woman, who makes a difference every single day, becomes a U.S. citizen. She says she is so grateful to have the freedom of choice in the country that has made such a difference to her
Shivani
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Very inspirational....a small girl fighting against all odds in life with her spirit to make it in this life...."
Leisl
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007_reads
This was a very interesting book. I really appreciated seeing the world from Farah's point of view. I am planning to put this book on a teen nonfiction booklist, but also recommend it to adults.
Rita Jillabi

Good Reads
The Other Side of the Sky
Farah Ahmedi

Rita Jillabi
Friday, February 6, 2015
7-1

A young girl, Farah Ahmedi, has lived to tell tale through the surviving and the terror that occurred in the terrible war. Farah lived most of her life in Afghanistan and in refugee camps of Pakistan. She was only fourteen when most her family was slaughtered and lost her leg. Alyce, one of her only American friends, told her to write a book about her achievements. However, the young protagonist did not kno
Baljit
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s an interesting life account. But the writing style is v much that of a young adult and the language of a new learner of English.
Jacklyn
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Stories of self-proclaimed nobility and fulfilling destinies are manipulated and twisted into some of the most popular fiction thrillers today. However, in the action-packed, fervent pages, it lacks sincerity and raw, real-life experiences that exert emotion that can be linked to the present world.

Among these tales of scattered coincidence, “The Other Side of the Sky” by Farah Ahmedi takes on the role of a memoir. The book itself is a recollection of personal, life-impacting memories. This give
Yasmine Tajmouati
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
February 6 2015

“The Story of my Life”, is the autobiography of Farah Ahmedi. This novel recounts her life and how she was able to survive tragedies. In the beginning, Farah already spoke about her happy ending, which tells the reader that everything is going to be all right. “One time last summer, my new American friends, Alyce and John, took me to a carnival here in the suburbs of Chicago, where I live now with my mother” (Ahmedi 3). Previously, Farah ad her family, which included of 4 siblings
Amy Nance
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting look into the life of an Afghan girl and the ordeals that are faced in that country. Farah's life was one of extreme turmoil but she has great courage.
Särah Nour
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
We all have our war epics—Gone With the Wind, War and Peace, Dr. Zhivago—that serve to entertain and educate us about a particular time in history. However, sometimes the value of a war epic is not in its ability to entertain or its historical accuracy. Although a mere 256 pages compared to Gone With the Wind’s 1,000-plus, The Story of my Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky is a deeply moving firsthand account of growing up in war-torn Afghanistan, powerfully told by Farah Ahmedi, ...more
Ashley
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Story of my Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky is a very emotional and compelling book. This book is definitely one of my favorite books I have read throughout the course of the semester and provided me with a new perspective on issues brought up in this book. As a future teacher, I found this book to be very relevant because with the increase of diverse students that will be in my future classrooms, it's essential to be aware of the struggles that ELL students face when adapt ...more
Christian Readers: Is Christianity Exclusive? 68 154 Dec 06, 2012 12:36PM
  • Bone Worship
  • Sharing Good Times
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: One Woman's Return to Her Lost Homeland
  • Home is a Roof Over a Pig: An American Family's Journey in China
  • Meena, Heroine of Afghanistan: The Martyr Who Founded RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan