Start by marking “Last of Her Name” as Want to Read:
Last of Her Name

Last of Her Name

Sixteen years ago, rebellion swept the galaxy known as the Belt of Jewels. Every member of the royal family was murdered--down to their youngest child, Princess Anya--and the Union government rose in its place. But Stacia doesn't think much about politics. She spends her days half-wild, rambling her father's vineyard with her closest friends, Clio and Pol.

That all changes
Published February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Last of Her Name, please sign up.
Jessica Khoury It is inspired by the legend of Anastasia (the historical one, not the cartoon!) but is not a strict retelling.

Nastassja

DNF at about 30%. I am ready for some rant!

“It’s probably just some rich Alexandrian tourist with nothing better to do than slum around the outer systems.”
“Yeah.” Clio gives a wistful sigh. “Maybe a handsome, rich Alexandrian tourist, with a troubled past and a broody air and a heart yearning for love.”

Basically this is what this book turned out to be: a boring cliched retelling for bookish tourists, but in this case, I felt myself a duped with a promise of space Anastacia retelling tourist.

Fir

Jessica Khoury
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Whew! I can't believe this crazy galactic roller-coaster of a book is finally FINISHED!

If I had to describe the process of writing this book in one word it would be: "FUN." I really had such fun with this one, letting my imagination run wild through the stars. It certainly challenged me in ways no project has before, and pushed me to try some big risks that I hope will thrill and surprise you as you read. There is a LOT in store for you in these pages, so strap in, fire up your warp drive, and b
 Amelia
"Worlds may burn and stars may fall, but I will never give up on her. No matter how far away she is, or how impossible to reach, as long as she is waiting at the end of it, my path is clear."

Guys, the friendship. It's beautiful.

This is the type of book I want to read. Why don't we have more of these? And when I say these, I am referring to 2 things: 1) it's about FRIENDSHIP, and that's way more important than romance IMO 2) it's a STANDALONE FANTASY/SCI-FI - it has action, plot twists, characte
Anja H.
Feb 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A MAIN CHARACTER CALLED ANYA?
Sign me the fuck up.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
5/25/18
Title change from Firebird ---> Last of Her Name

I like the change. The cover is simple but nice. Hopefully, it's shiny lol
---
It just occurred to me that Empress of a Thousand Skies was also like Anastasia in space lol. But hey I liked that book enough, so this realization will not deter me lol
---
Anastasia in space! =D
Roobie

Promising concept but (please forgive me) boring. :(
Sheharzad ⚘
We have a blurb and cover now 😭😍 The title changed from Firebird to Last of Her Name! I really like this new title AND THE FONT. Woah.

----
A retelling of the legend of Anastasia, set in a broken, star-spanning empire.
I.Can't.Breathe.

Do you know how much I love Anastasia?? Do you know?

It's my second fav story, after Beauty and the Beast, and I ADORE Beauty and the Beast with all my being. So anastasia being second to that says ~something~

And this is set in space.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BYE I'm no long
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

Last of Her Name is a YA science fiction retelling of Anastasia and is so far up my alley that I HAD to get my hands on it! Luckily I did and I dived in as soon as I possibly could. This was my first ever Anastasia retelling, although there do seem to be a lot of them being published lately. I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but I can definitely say it surprised me.

Stacia has lived in a small town on a small planet for her entire life with her
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Having LOVED Khoury’s last YA offering, The Forbidden Wish, I was super excited to get my hands on this ARC. Last of Her Name is an amazing book – I’m stingy with my five stars, so it’s not quite that, but it certainly comes close.

Sixteen-year-old Stacia Androva has grown up on a minor, out-of-the-way planet with her best friends Pol and Clio. Her life to date has been utterly normal. She loves hanging out with her friends, exploring th
Marquise
I'd have expected better from an Anastasia retelling with Cinderella undertones, but sadly it wasn't to be.

The premise of recasting the legend of the survival of Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaievna from the execution squad as a space opera is attractive, and would've gained points for originality if not for the execution, which is rather straightforward and therefore predictable. You can see everything coming a mile away; there are no surprises, you know what the "secret" is all the while.

The s
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Gosh this was an adventure and a half! I have been sadly bummed by some of the other Anastasia-themed books I have read in the past, but this one finally hit the mark! So let us talk about it, yeah?

The Things I Liked:

•Well, obviously the Anastasia bit! The other didn't really drag out the "reveal" of that part either, which I was so thankful for. In most of the retellings I have read
Misty
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what to expect going into this, really, but I enjoyed it!
Review to come
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Last of Her Name hits the ground running.
Khoury's takes us on an adventure through the Belt of Jewels when the Direktor and the Union shows up on Stacia's planet and she is accused of being Princess Anya Leonova, a member of the royal family supposedly killed years ago by the Direktor. With the help of Pol, Stacia escapes from the home plan
rachael ♡
Jan 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, retelling, sci-fi
Sci-fi... Anastasia.... MY TWO FAVORITE THINGS...

Help. I need it.
Amber
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last of Her Name might have resonated more with me if it were a series. As a standalone, there was a lot of pack into this book and as a result some important details were left out. I felt indifferent to the characters and romance and wanted more from the story overall. I liked the struggle for power and how our main character, Stacia, couldn't trust who had her best interest at heart. In the end, this just left me saying "okay, next."
Vicky Who Reads
wow ok

1. DAT COVER
2. I heard star system, royalty, and rebellion (also, a fantastic twist, I am told) and I am just sold. 2019 just got a whole lot cooler.
Ally Watkins
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evan-tbr
Y'all. You guys. I have to shout this from the rooftops.

I. LOVE. RETELLINGS. IN. SPACE.

LAST OF HER NAME is based on the story of the Romanovs and the mystery surrounding Princess Anastasia, whose body wasn't found for many years after the rest of her family, and, for a while there, there were legends saying she'd survived. In this story, she did survive. And she's more powerful than she realizes.

Ordinarily, what draws me into a story are its characters. I'm not going to tell you that I formed
ضحى الحداد
Ehhh.. I tried to like this book since it is a retelling of one of my favorite stories, Anastasia, sadly it didn't deliver for me
the story is about a girl named Stacia who discovers that she is a lost princess and she is the only key to the center of the universe and what will happen to her
I don't like space much and the writing style was annoying to me .. I hoped for better so I didn't enjoy it
Aila
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Anastasia retellings in space! :D

Better review to come lool.
Kaitlyn
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found on my blog.

If you know me at all, you’d know that I’m completely obsessed with Anastasia. The animated movie was—and still is—my favorite animated movie of all time (Tangled is right next to it!), the musical is the closest one to my heart. I’ve gone above and beyond for that production, and I was heartbroken to see it leave Broadway. I went to see it more than five times and met Christy Altomare (the Anya) and the rest of the cast every single time at the stage do
Barbara Senteney
Imust start off by saying I don't read much science fiction, it's by far my favorite genre. This feels familiar like an old forgotten friend, very much in the tone of the Star Wars era, with a bloody massacre very reminiscent of the murder of the Royal Russian family, sory tho no droids in this one.
Stacia ( Princess Anya )is my favorite character, a strong female figure without so much self doubt as most silly female characters tend to have.

Anya has to flee her world for her life once it is fo
Nikki H
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of the lunar chronicles I definitely recommend this book its Anastasia retelling but in space I really loved the romance in this book too it was a slow building one and the characters I enjoyed as u can see I definitely gave this book 5 stars !! 😊
Addy S.
i'd follow you to the edge of the universe.

this was a beautifully written, well-drawn out book. while the romance could have been a bit less descriptive as it was, i think it was very sweet and the characters didn't rush things. the characters were unique and interesting to read about. the only thing i would really change would be the amount of violence. i understand that the book was written during a time of war, so violence is necessary to include. i would have made it a bit less descriptive,
Hayden
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, y'all. This book made me SO MAD.

Now, books tend to elicit anger in two ways. One: through the fault of bad writing and/or problematic messages, or two: the characters are put through such an ordeal of injustice and torture that you just want to reach your hand in there and strangle a couple bad guys yourself. Last of Her Name was in the latter category. In fact, it's honestly a little difficult for me to say whether or not I liked the book because I was so angry about what the characters we
Carina Olsen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Jessica for years. I adore her and her books have been amazing to me. I knew I must read Last of Her Name as soon as I possibly could. I have waited so long for it, and I am so thrilled that I can say the wait was worth it. Because this book was all kinds of amazing. Loved it so. It was pretty much perfect.

Giving it four stars, though, because of some small issues that I had. Will be sharing all about it, but it was not anything big. And for the most part I loved this book.
❄Elsa Frost❄
September 14, 2017

OH MY WORD I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS BOOK YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!! I absolutely love Jessica Khoury's books and was wondering what happened that I couldn't find any of her books in stores. So excited about this one--a science-fiction retelling of Anastasia? That sounds amazing. Can't wait!

August 7, 2018

OMG IT HAS A COVER, Y'ALL. IT HAS A COVER. <3
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
An Anastasia retelling? Yes, plz! Written by Jessica Khoury, the woman who wrote the bestest ever Aladdin retelling? Hell yes!! 🙌

It gets a 4.25 stars

Needless to say, this book didn't disappoint. Though I took entirely too long to get through it (exhaustion wreaks havoc on a reading schedule 😤) I loved this book! Jessica Khoury has such a gift for taking our familiar stories and putting such a fun twist on them, making them just as fun and yet still familiar. I honestly CAN'T WAIT to see what s
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review and others on my blog shades of paper

“Way our here in Amethyne, we were supposed to be safe. We were supposed to be beyond all that, but now I wonder if I’ve been a fool to believe such a thing.”

I was so beyond excited to read this book because not only I’m low-key obsessed with Anastasia and anything that had to do with her story, but also because the movie is one of my all time favorites, so needless to say I went into this one with such high expectations, and thou
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Same Review Also Posted On My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

Jessica Khoury's debut novel The forbidden Wish was one of my favorite reads but her latest stand-alone YA sci-fi novel ended up as a disappointment for me. Last Of Her name felt very much different from her debut novel. It was a Anastasia retelling set in space.  I was expecting a fun filled adventurous ride with a swoon worthy romance but this one turns out to be a slow ride. The plot wasn't exciting enough and the romance was underwhelming.
Elliot A
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya
I had this book from the library probably almost two months before I had a chance to read it (I had the option of renewing it many times; the overdue fines would have been outrageous).

I was not emotionally prepared for the story. Ever since the weather turned a bit warmer, I have been in a mood to read stories similar to Kaufmann and Spooner’s series Starbound, but had trouble finding stories with good world building and worthwhile plots and characters.

Well, this was pure gold. Even now almost
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
IMPATIENT FAN 1 10 Jan 03, 2018 07:17AM

• The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Castle of Lies
  • Chilling Effect
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • What Monstrous Gods
Jessica Khoury wrote her first book at age 4, a fan fic sequel to Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur, which she scribbled on notebook paper, stapled together, and placed on the bookshelf of her preschool classroom. Since that day, she's dreamed of being an author.

When not writing, Jess enjoys spending time with family, playing video games, and oil and watercolor painting. She is also a professiona
“Hope is born in darkness. Peace is born in trust.” 0 likes