Start by marking “Loverboy” as Want to Read:
Loverboy

Loverboy

"The hearts you take are the legion you make. Will I love you still... I say that I will."

A fever dream of romantic grotesque, Loverboy is a dance of love, heartache and hatred that intertwines horror with beauty as if they were never separate.
Classy and sensual like a forbidden fairytale, this collection of dark poetry paints its phrases from bittersweet fantasy, gender i
Published November 9th 2018 by S.M. Shuford

To ask other readers questions about Loverboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loverboy

Rebecca McNutt
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, art, lgbt, romance
Loverboy is a beautifully expressive book of contemporary poetry, combining detailed and artistic illustrations with the vibrant visions of words and language. At times dark and at other times dreamy and surreal, this is one of those collections that even if you're not a huge poetry person, you'll still find something that resonates with you. It doesn't take long to read but for me I ended up not going through the whole thing at once, because it was much more interesting to stop and think about ...more
R. Kitt
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my favorite work by this author to date.

The darkness is evident in this poetry collection, as is the other short poetry works by S.M., but this one had less abrupt stops and starts. It was more fluid for me, which I really liked. I also really liked the pretty and horrorisk pictures throughout.

Janie C.
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poetry elucidated by spinning wheels of woven flesh and driven by the pulse of complicated circulation. S.M. Shuford's words enchant and throw shadows onto the screen of imagination. Themes of vulnerability, passion and sheer abandon decorate the pages of her fiery collection. The author's artistic abilities are not confined to words. Her illustrations add both sweetness and an alluring hint of venom to these fine pages.
Emm - One Thousand Years of Books
Where To Find: In Kindle and Paperback on Amazon, will be in ePub worldwide around May 2019

Trivia & Commentary: Loverboy was written from September 2017 to July 2018. While most of it is derived from personal ideas, there was a few from outside. The series Twin Peaks and its soundtrack were an influence over the more psychedelic poems. Interestingly, that series has an overlap with Native American mythology which also influenced the design of the book.

Fairytale motifs such as the Cherokee Ra
Chloë Jans
Oct 11, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc
Poetry isn't for me. I tried it but it didn't work. The words were beautiful, the drawings were unique, it made me think and it had a very special vibe. However, it didn't work for me. I won't rate it because it isn't my genre so I don't know what would be appropriate
Leona  Carstairs
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: I received a free PDF copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions stated are my own. P. S. I would really like to thank the author for sending me a copy. I had a fantastic time reading it.

I really got into it by the end. It started out alright for me, but by the time it ended I would have happily read another 20 poems by S. M. Shuford. I guess this is a collection that takes a little bit of time to get into, but once you get into it, you really end up enjoying it.

T
Jun 19, 2019
Megha Patel
Jun 20, 2019
My Books Tumblr Smashwords Twitter Ko-Fi DeviantArt

Artist, writer and poet. An anomaly of stardust, idea and luminescent nightmare. I was once a fairytale witch, but found keeping to the diet to be too taxing.
I have reviewed professionally for Realistic Poetry International, and in 2019 won an award of recognition for my work with independent poets.

Some of my books are self-publishe
“Wafting hypnotic love through the air
You see what we unravel, what is wasted
In our house of severed horns,
We have only our own stardust to fear”
1 likes