Start by marking “The Knitter's Bible” as Want to Read:
The Knitter's Bible

The Knitter's Bible

A handbook for knitters at all levels covers key information on materials and techniques, providing a reference library of stitch patterns, color charts for a variety of creative options, and more than twenty-five illustrated projects for clothes, accessories, and home furnishings. Original.
Published October 15th 2004 by David & Charles Publishers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Knitter's Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knitter's Bible

Julie Bozza
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It does what it says on the tin! A really useful resource, whether you're a beginner or not.
Anne
Oct 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: knitters and want-to-be knitters
This is the book that taught me to knit! And I was so excited that I finally learned--thanks to this book's great instructions--that I sent a fan letter to the author. And guess what? She wrote right back and was all excited that I was all excited about her book. So it's a good book from a good person--what could be better?
Trishwah
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great reference. I depended on this book SO much for the first couple years I was knitting.
Charles D Owens
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really

Limited new knowledge. Patterns are older in style not impressed with the cost of patterns that can be outfit free online! $11.00 refund needed
Nonnie
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I drag this book out every fall when I make my grandson his annual winter knit cap. It is the closest book I have ever found that I can use to remember how to knit. I have a book I bought back in 1976 that had the same information but it is falling apart so I looked through several knit shops till I found something similar... this was the closest I could get. It is an excellent primer and it includes a number of patterns for you to try out.

I found the explanation of different yarns to be most h
Josephine
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Knitting book I got all the way back in 2006, and it's my go-to book for everything. I just recently finished another project with it which means I've tried everything in it that I wanted to and will add it to my 'read' shelf.

I absolutely recommend this book, the stitch dictionary has enough in it to keep you busy, the techniques and explanations are very clear and shown step by step, much better than any other knitting book I've seen so far. The projects are simple and teach
Apryl Anderson
I purchased this book while researching The Knitters' Guild of America's Master Handknitter program. It has excellent clean and clear illustrations, and very good step-by-step descriptions covering many of the major techniques. Now that I've gleaned what I needed, with this book, I am ready and able to get someone else addicted to the craft. It's is tailor-made for the beginner; including little boxes filled with helpful tips, suggested projects to suit every skill level, and a varied stitch lib ...more
Tanya
A helpful book for beginners and those looking to move beyond the beginning level. What I liked about this book were the clear color photographs and the "Knit something now" project after learning a new set of skills. It is more like a class that moves you from beginner's projects to easy ones. Has several cute projects that I'd like to return to and try for my kids (animal mittens, a wooly and loopy sheep toy) and for myself, entrelac and felted projects.
Jennifer B.
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really great book. Walks you through step by step through every part of knitting, from casting on the first stitch, through every type of stitch you can imagine after that. Even has some beautiful projects to make, with the patterns clearly laid out, and teaches you how to draw up your own patterns, or customise already made ones. Highly recommended!
Elle
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really like this book because it is chock full of great illustrations on the proper way to knit. The patterns are easy to follow although I did have some troubles with cable knit. I recommend it for a knitter who is not just beginning.
tinlondon
Jul 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginner knitters.
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
Good graphics, layout and writing. Gives a thorough grounding in the basics. Sometimes the instructions aren't totally clear by themselves so I suggest having another book such as "Stitch and Bitch" to hand. Between the two you should be able to work it out.
Denni
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wanted to remember this book, but couldn't find it in the search. So, the name is The Knitter's Bible, Knitted Homestyle 746.432 Kai from the Appleton Library. Super chunky throw p. 20, table runner p. 64, bathmat p. 92
Mary Ann
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, library-books
Different stitches. Handy book when trying to work out something different to make.
Heather
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Nice reference and pattern library at the back. Book was free, so no complaints. Some of the patterns are wrong, though, so you need to check the author's errata for corrections.
Krista
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All knitters, especially beginners
Shelves: knitting
Another great knitting reference. The graphics are very clear and the stitch library has many great textures. It also has a great collection of cables.
Nitrorockets
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: knitting
I love this book! Patterns patterns patterns! So many great stitches this inspired me to practice new stitches.
Katharine
Apr 11, 2012
Bertie
Jan 09, 2016
Peter Brown
rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016