Start by marking “The Way We Burn” as Want to Read:
The Way We Burn

The Way We Burn

Irresistible attraction. Unimaginable danger.

I knew from the moment Noah Williamson walked into the diner that he was haunted—deeply haunted—but I couldn’t resist the lure of him. He was gorgeous and fascinating and mysterious, and like a delicate moth to a brilliant blue flame, I was drawn to him. Drawn to his fire.

But if I’d known about his job, about what happened to h
Published June 24th 2018 by M. Leighton Books

To ask other readers questions about The Way We Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way We Burn

Start your review of The Way We Burn
Felicia
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 EPIC MINDFUCK STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I don't know where to start so I'll start with "what in the actual fuck just happened?"

It's so hard to review this book without giving too much away.

It begins as your usual man meets woman and suddenly they're in love the next chapter. However, nothing in this story is what it seems.

As seems to be the trend of late, the story is told in alternating chapters through the eyes of Poppy and Noah. I hated Poppy, she's weak and annoying and although she's in her 30's, the wri
Olga therebelreader
This is a cleverly crafted novel of suspense about Noah Williamson, an FBI agent whose life is marked with pain, loss, grief and so much love for his daughter and wife.
The plot moves forward gradually.
The Way We Burn is a dark romantic suspense, a story that is a deep character study on how tragedy breaks down a person’s defenses causing doubt about one’s own sanity to set in.
M. Leighton delivers a well written book that will have you hooked from the beginning.
If you love a good thrilling rid
The Sassy Bookworm
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a couple of friends recommend this book to me, so I decided to go ahead today and give it a read. I liked it a lot. Sure, I figured out the twist(s) very early on, plus it got a bit far-fetched near the end, but it was one of the best books I have read in a while! Fantastic writing. Well paced. Great characters. Love. Heartbreak. Sexy times. All wrapped up with an uplifting ending.

description

Just a little side note, you really need to read this book right up until the end to be able to give an accu
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
I forgot that I read this when I was on my break. This is hard to rate.
I’ll put it under spoiler tag and for those who want to go in blind and don’t want the story spoiled please don't click it.
(view spoiler)
Carvanz
Holy Wow! This book! Talk about a wild and twisted ride! I started this expecting one thing, became a bit discouraged early on because I did not like where this was headed, but within no time at all I was caught up in a story unlike any I’ve read before. And I loved every freaking moment of it!

I’m not going to go into the details of this story because it’s one of those that you should go into as blind as possible. I will say that it was written in a wonderfully fresh voice (at least for me) with
SusanAhh
Hurricane and Fire

SPOILER FREE…I promise!!!

Eureka!!! I found treasure!!! Pure gold…I tell you… Excuse the outburst friends but I just discovered a wonderful author with which many of you are already familiar, Michelle Leighton. I know, I know what rock have I been hiding under? Ahhhh…but the joy of discovery and knowing that more treasure awaits in her catalogue of work!!! I feel so lucky.

I was entertained, enthralled and moved emotionally by this tour de force of a romantic suspense. It was a w
Nadine Bookaholic
Michelle Leighton throws one curve ball after another in this fascinating romantic suspense that will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next.
This was so brilliantly written you don't even suspect the first plot twist let alone the ones that follow!!!!

You can see my full review along with an #excerpt and #giveaway here: https://nadineisobsessedwithbooks.blo...
Janie
This book is so fantastically written. In the beginning I wasn’t sure I was going to like it based on a trope that never works for me but it ended up being an epic love story that will stick with me for a long time. I could see myself rereading this one in the future.
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, that was a crazy ride. No matter what you're thinking, push through that first half. You won't regret it.
Carla and Janie, thanks for being my reading buddies!
Mizz Latte

Beware of Spoilers!

Star Ratings:
Heroine (Poppy): age unkown
Hero (Noah): 33yrs old
Plot: 1/5
Grovel: who cares at this point
Cheating: yes
HEA: I hope not
Triggers: too many

Average score: 1/5 – Dnf’d at chapter 18

Best Line: none

Worst Line: “Yeah, you sound just like my wife, and closing my eyes and listening to you helps me forget the sight of her bloody, naked body.”

Personal Review:
An FBI agent is on a mission to avenge his beloved wife’s death and ends up vi
Courtney
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Enthralling. Captivating. Jaw-dropping suspense.

Full review below:

First off, I want to thank Michelle for reaching out and asking me to read this book before she even sent it out to bloggers to review. I am humbled that she would trust me and my opinion enough to ask this of me.

The Way We Burn is a book unlike any of Michelle's previous work and I know that she took a risk not only writing this but choosing to release it. I am beyond thrilled that she took this leap and wrote a truly amazing st
Saunders
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I have read a book from M Leighton. I forgot what a great writer she is. So after reading the synopsis I was ready to go with this one.

I am not going to go into this book too much because you should go in blind. Don't read any reviews.

This is a roller coaster storyline but like me you might guess some of the plot (I did around 12%). The synopsis dangles only a part of what this is really about. This has a kicker of a plot, a love story and loadsa twists but it is als
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS!
WOW! I was certainly not expecting that... The Way We Burn is SO AMAZING! SO UNEXPECTED! Such a page-turner that I couldn't put it down for one single second.

Noah Williamson is haunted by his past... losing his child and his wife in the most tragic of ways... how does one ever overcome and survive such a loss.

Noah finds some peace in Poppy, a waitress at a diner he goes to, and his life seems to be taking a turn to the light... to the less heavy... to maybe finding some sort of happy.

B
Rebecca
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Way We Burn is a unique, mysterious, and insightful story about pain, about loss, and about love. It’s about two kindred souls whose eyes convey the sadness and anguish they both carry and endure, and as a reader, it’s easy to understand why Noah and Poppy are drawn to each other; like attracts like and these two desperately need rescuing and regardless of their respective torment, it seems as if Noah and Poppy can move forward together but only if the nightmares that have found their way in ...more
Julia
~ Cariad ~
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely terrific suspense erotica, loved it!!
First time I've read an M. Leighton, going to be checking out her other books for sure : )
Literary Epic
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jesus H. Christ, I don’t know where to start with the awesomeness of this book.

My mind is blown, I’m utterly speechless and I’m struggling to form a sentence that will enable to express just how amazing The Way We Burn was.

Over the years I’ve found that a lot of books are somewhat the same. I mean how many different stories can there possibly be? So I’ve kind of lost a little bit of my read mojo. After reading this I have it back full force. This story was unlike any other and is possibly one
Anne OK
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
When you find someone to love, you throw your whole self into it and you don't give up. Ever. If they cry, you hold them. If they hurt, you fix them. And if they disappear, you find them. And when you do, you love them until they come back to you.

Michelle Leighton's latest release provides readers with a wickedly entertaining dose of suspense and intrigue. And it has left me stunned and tongue-tied. It's a gut-kicker romantic suspense filled with a dizzying array of head-spins and mind-boggl
Kim
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh Wow! This was so much more than I expected when I started this book!

It was an emotional, mysterious, suspenseful, passionate, and surprising love story. I was just reading along enjoying what seemed like the usual "damaged people finding a connection" story, then all of a sudden...TWIST! Whoa! I never saw it coming! I started rethinking, remembering, and analyzing. The story took a whole different path than I thought. Secrets are gradually revealed. There are several more twists and surprises
Julie
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Tragedy can catapult your life in ways that you never could have predicted. When that tragedy results in the loss of a child, no one can imagine the pain and despair that results from that event. Noah Williamson knows the pain of loss. In fact – he has experienced more than his fair share. How he carries on will the deciding factor on how his future will be impacted from the past.

Loss has led Noah to the diner that he finds himself visiting every morning. Each morning like clockwork, Noah walks
BookSmackedMel
The Way We Burn is a deliciously enticing romance that took me by surprise and had my mouth gaping at one point in shock.

Holy hannah, this book. It's one of those books that will immediately grab your attention. But the kicker with this one is that when you least expect it, when you think that all the twists and turns and WTF's that continously happen in this story are done. BAM you are hit with the motherload of revelations that changes absolutely everything you thought you knew and it makes t
Angie Crabtree-Liezel and Angie's Book Blog

OMG!!! This book was fantastic! Hands down one of the best romantic suspense books I’ve read this year!

I couldn’t put it down and those twists!! I was not expecting that at all. I definitely won’t be forgetting about Noah and Poppy anytime soon.

Great Job Michelle! I’m not easily shocked and you did just that!

If you love suspense, twists and turns with just enough heat to make you hot then you need to read The Way We Burn!
Michell Hall casper
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Leighton takes her writing to a whole new level. This book was riveting. And will leave you on the edge of your seat from the beginning to the very end. I couldn't put it down. It's nothing like she's written thus far. Nothing is what you expect. So make sure you pay close attention. Left me wanting more. ...more
Vanessa (nessreads)
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book*

4.5 "Utterly Suspenseful" Stars!!!

WOW! What? What? What the hell? My mind has been blown. This. This book. I know I'm not being coherent, but you have to bare with me. I just finished reading and I'm just all over the place. Also, there is no way that this can be a detailed review. It just can't, there's too much that I'd absolutely spoil, so I have to keep this short. And trust me, you do not want to be spoiled.

The Way We Burn took me on such
D
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. The Way We Burn is an incredible and unique read. It's a bit of suspense, a little of thriller and some soul deep love. Michelle Leighton kept me engrossed the entire book. I loved how the story ebbed and flowed... reeling me in only to let me ride the current of the story. The characters were complex and layered but relatable. Very well written given the intricacies of the story.
The story itself... it was one that had to be done right. Written right and well to avoid being flat and to avo
Nance
It’s best to go into this novel blind. You will be shocked from all the twists and turns the author has provided. I had to read one reveal a few times because I just couldn’t believe it. Very unpredictable, which I love. I always want to be surprised with that unsuspecting climax. And, Ms. Leighton does it splendidly! The storylines were expertly written. The characters were complex and tortured. And, the romance was classically beautiful. You will not be disappointed!
Rosa Sharon (iScream Book Blog)

"My brokenness is drawn to his."

I'm struggling here because I just finished reading this book and I want to write an amazing review that gets across to you how epic this story is, but this is one that must be experienced. You have to go in blind, with an open mind and an open heart. Expect the unexpected, and maybe have a fire extinguisher nearby. Because once you start reading The Way We Burn your kindle might go up in flames if you aren't careful. The heat will be intense and your
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
suggestions ? 1 3 Jul 21, 2018 09:33AM

• Where the Blame Lies (Where, #1)
  • The Lies That Shatter (Truth & Lies, #2)
  • Everybody Breaks (Milite , #1)
  • Ignite (Cloverleigh Farms, #6)
  • A Love Letter to Whiskey
  • Someone Else's Ocean
  • Can't Fix Cupid
  • Mafia Mistress (The Kings of Italy, #1)
  • Say You Swear
  • One Step Too Far (Frankie Elkin, #2)
  • Drowning Erin
  • The Ritual
  • The Risk (Mindf*ck, #1)
  • Hopeful
  • Waking Olivia
  • Mafia Darling (The Kings of Italy, #2)
  • Bad (Bad. Dirty. Power. #1)
  • Dirty (Bad. Dirty. Power. #2)
See top shelves…
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author, M. Leighton, is a native of Ohio. She relocated to the warmer climates of the South, where she can be near the water all summer and miss the snow all winter. Possessed of an overactive imagination from early in her childhood, Michelle finally found an acceptable outlet for her fantastical visions: literary fiction. Having written over a dozen novels ...more

News & Interviews