Start by marking “The Tree That Grew Through Iron” as Want to Read:
The Tree That Grew Through Iron

The Tree That Grew Through Iron

(The Panagea Tales #1)

The world’s end was his beginning.

Whole chunks of earth are withering away from the mainland and falling into the sea.
Natural disasters are claiming thousands of lives.
Prayers are no longer answered by gods.
Prayers are answered by machines, and the Time Fathers of Panagea.

Nicholai Addihein, one of the eight ruling Time Fathers, struggles to save the lives of his people. Af
Published June 4th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Tree That Grew Through Iron, please sign up.
McKenzie Austin Hello Laura,

Hello Laura,

Thank you for the question! I believe the above description is an out-of-date version that I've failed to update. I must admit that my editor tackled the content of the story, not the blurb. She's certainly not to blame for my poorly orchestrated synopsis; that one is all on me!
I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. I will update with the new blurb immediately.
If you weren't too put off by my archaic blurb and decide to give the book a read, I do hope you enjoy it. Thanks again!(less)

Start your review of The Tree That Grew Through Iron
House of Cadmus
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was an inventive and engaging read with a fantastic cast of characters and a unique blend of fantasy and dystopian elements. Read my full spoiler free review here: http://madisonsinkwell.com/the-tree-t... ☺️ ...more
Brian's Book Blog
A Definite Page Turner

4.5 out of 5 stars

The first thing that is apparent in this book is that Austin has a grasp on character development. A lot of this book was devoted to that and usually I harp on books going into too much detail or being too long because of this but I thought that she did a good job walking that tight rope of being overly descriptive and actually giving great details. The same can be said about setting the scenes. They were described well without being too wordy. Unlike I’m
Hayley Chow
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! The depth of this book was just absolutely incredible. It has been a long time since I've fallen in love with a steampunk like this. The blend of machine and magic was expertly executed in a world I just absolutely wanted to jump into and save even as it was falling apart. All the little details of Panagea, its legends, its history, and its workings just made it feel so incredibly real. While I normally fly through books, I took my time with this one just so I could really soak it in.

And wh
Coco.V
Oct 01, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (10/1/18)!💝

Blurb:
“Do not let them know. It’s for their own good. Control the chaos. Keep them safe.”

Nicholai Addihein followed this advice from Panagea’s elder division leaders since he took up control of Southeastern ten years ago. But as more chunks of the dying continent continue to break off into the sea, maintaining the public illusion that all is well gets harder to accomplish.

Then, it happened. One mistake. Though committed through actions borne of love, Nicholai exe
Sharon Britz
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this fantastic book. The story showcases a world that although imagined mirrors our own in how truly great it can be and how utterly horrible. Its filled with greed and generosity, cruelty and mercy; fanatisism and selflessness; love and hate; all woven into characters that grip your heart and doesnt let go, characters that are wonderfully human, good , bad and everything in-between. I enjoyed every minute often dreading what would come next ( in a good way).
Appreciation to
Leslie Ann
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first of a series but it does well as a standalone. It starts with incredibly high stakes for one man and culminates in the highest stakes imaginable, literally the destruction of the world. The story is fast paced and exciting, with lots and lots of action. The characters are all distinctive and memorable. The style is a bit too fussy and overwritten in places but don’t let that deter you. Get past it and you’ll be rewarded with an ultimately satisfying read.
Trey Stone
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rogue timefather. An immortal captain. A mythical earthmother. A dying continent. These are just some of the things you'll experience in The Tree That Grew Through Iron, as Nicholai Addihein joins Captain Kazuaki Hidataka and his grew in a quest to save the world, and hopefully, his love.

Austin has created a magnificent fantasy world, and the world-building stands out instantly. It will pull you in, captivate you, and take you on an amazing journey.

Much of the story, if not most, happens on bo
Leticia
I received this Book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This has been one of my most favourite reads, ever. To say I devoured the book would be an understatement. I had to convince myself to slow down and live life outside of the book but it didn't stop me from thinking about it!

I think that hardest part of reading this novel was knowing that the path that we, as a general population, and our political leaders are on the same path that those of the dead world of Panagea's worl
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
Complete review posted on my blog: I Heart Fictional People

INITIAL THOUGHTS

OMG look at that cover! That is a thing of beauty! I’ve always found the whole steampunk genre so fascinating. So I immediately jumped at the chance to read this one. And I love, LOVE the idea of an immortal ship captain and his crew of outcasts somehow being the possible saviors of a dying world. Yes, please!

WHAT I LIKED

Action-packed! Hell yeah! This was such an exciting adventure, and I felt so fortunate to be a part of
Billy Buttons
Plot: 10/10
Writing Style: 9/10
Editing: 9/10
Cover: 10/10

‘A powerfully written, magical story awash with memorable characters. Highly recommended!’ The Wishing Shelf

REVIEW
I must say, I do enjoy a good fantasy novel, so I settled down with The Tree That Grew Through Iron (excellent title by the way) with high expectations of spells, charms and monsters. It turned out, this was ver
Andrea Stewart
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It is a great story with amazing characters that are engaging and relatable and so much fun to follow! This story is an amazing mix of fantasy with a dystopian feel too.

The storyline is amazing and so easy to follow and so engaging that you literally feel like you are living through the words.

There are elements of the classic mythologies that are so much fun to read about blended with real life events that can happen!

I feel like it sends across the message that we
Karson Lee
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an epic book! The actions of one heartbroken man trying to save his dying daughter triggers events that literally change the course of humanity and time. The Tree That Grew Through Iron is one of my favorite books I've ever read! The author does a spectacular job laying out the world of Panagea and elaborating enough so that the reader truly feels like witnessing the events in the story. I hope that this one becomes a movie or series of movies!

The narration is also amazing. The narrator pu
Lauren Jade Case
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a real hard time deciding what to rate this - in the end, I settled on 4 stars.

The premise and story captivated me; it was so original and unlike anything I'd ever read before, and I was sucked into it. At first, the characters are apart but through some pretty major misfortunes join up - it's not quite "split" POV (as it's not always consistent, or you're getting a character's POV only once) but the POV does change between characters often. From the "pirates" to Time Fathers to "Mother Ea
Nunuv Yurbiznes
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A grim look into a dystopian future, the first book in The Panagea Tales sets the stage for an epic tale of conflict, despair, peril and adventure on the seas of Panagea.

Amidst a group of murderers and thieves, readers will experience the rough lives of those living in a steampunk-esque hellscape, ravaged by technology and ruled with an iron fist. The fate of the world is at hand, and the reader is along for the long ride of drama and emotions, morals clashing left and right, and the delicate ba
E.P. Stavs
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty, Dark, and Supremely Imaginative

This was a pretty fun read. Although it was a bit longer than I usually prefer, the author managed to keep the story interesting throughout, filling the pages with the most imaginative characters I've come across in some time. I particularly liked Kazuaki, with his gruff, all business exterior and loyal heart underneath. Not to mention his motley crew, who had no trouble lightening the mood when needed.

Overall, I'd say this is a great choice for anyone int
Paula Dyches
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
As a parent reviewer I feel the need to start out with a morality rating - Just in the first 30 minutes of listening alone there is a pretty descriptive near sex scene, 3 f-bombs along with other bad language, and violence - I would rate it in the "R" range and say it is definitely geared to an adult crowd. It is a beautifully descriptive story that does draw in the reader into a very complex dystopian world of fantasy and mythology. It was a bit out of my comfort realm since I prefer a cleaner ...more
Ryvel
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the characters to the storyline completely engrossing!

Anyone who loves fantasy and fiction novels needs to give this book a try. Miss Austin is going for gold and Vying for the title of the 2nd best Austin.

The dept of the characters is amazing and well thought out. The storyline is paced just right you never feel like you are lagging or too far ahead. Overall great read by a new author!
Michele Quirke
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far one of the most amazing books I have ever read! The story was so fast-paced that I could not put it down. I love each and every one of the characters so much! I highly recommend this book if you love excitement, adventure, and a story-line that sucks you in from the first page. Austin's writing is top-notch and I am so excited to read the rest of the books in this incredible series! ...more
Tracy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just a fun story with fun characters, The Tree That Grew Through Iron gives a nod toward classic mythologies and blends it into a modern steam technology based world. This makes it a timeless, page turning read that imparts a strong message of what can happen if we neglect our earth and the tragic impact it would leave on the people and creatures that inhabit it.

Allison Pamperin
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is gripping and it will suck you into the world of Panagea! Once you start reading, you won't want to stop. This book makes You feel like not only do you know the characters, but as though you've known them all along. I absolutely love the series and can't wait to see where the crew will take me in the third book! ...more
Holly Bargo
Wonderful story, needs a competent copy editor

This wonderful, complex adventure would have been a 5-star read, except for consistent editing errors throughout, such as possessive nouns masquerading as plural nouns and an inability to distinguish the differences between lie and lay and less and few.
Martha Pepper
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wildly engaging book

A story that is out of the ordinary. I found it fascinating and hard to put down, a ecological lesson but more about the rich characters woven through the story. Though a book one it is a complete book in itself.
Kyandi
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely splendid! The characters are well written and make me fall even more in love with them the more I read about them. The scenes are beautifully portrayed, the dialogue is engaging and the characters endearing! I will be recommending this book to everyone I can!
Suzanne
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I really enjoyed this!! Loved the characters! Put me in mind of the Serenity crew...all them, big damn heroes.
Raechelle Jones
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was good
Susan
This story really hooked me. And I was surprised that it did. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover, but I was expecting some YA fantasy because of this lovely young lady on the cover. However, that’s not what’s going on here (yay!). The story is a little dark and definitely epic. The second half pulls the story into environmental fantasy as our heroes battle to save the very Earth.

The characters really held my attention. Kazuaki Hidataka is the captain of a pirate ship. They chase dow
Emma
Sep 13, 2018
martha jean nichols
Dec 15, 2018
Elizabeth Randisi
Oct 29, 2018
Lamar
Oct 04, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: A New Cover Edition, Please Help 6 16 Aug 03, 2018 11:34AM

• The Fires of Treason
  • The Searching Songbird (The Shendri Series, #2)
  • The Marked Princess (The Shendri Series, #1)
  • A Sea of Pearls & Leaves
  • Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)
  • The Unclaimed Wolf (The Shendri Series, #3)
  • The Prince and the Troll (Faraway Collection)
  • Broken Twigs: Farewell to Faerie Forest
  • Mark of Favor
  • Sophie's Key
  • Edge of the Breach (Rift Cycle, #1)
  • (Para)normal Society: Island Complex
  • Hazel and Gray (Faraway Collection)
  • Savasana's Kiss: A Yoga Love Story
  • Etani
  • Storm of Emotions: The Tempest
  • Embracing the Dragon (The Flames of Kalleen, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead

The Panagea Tales (4 books)
  • The Gods Who Harvested Men (The Panagea Tales #2)
  • The Serpent That Swallowed Its Tail (The Panagea Tales #3)
  • The Canary That Sang to the World (The Panagea Tales #4)

News & Interviews