Start by marking “Forever Fantasy Online (FFO, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forever Fantasy Online (FFO, #1)

Forever Fantasy Online

(FFO #1)

IT'S NOT A GAME ANYMORE...

In the real world, twenty-one-year-old library sciences student Tina Anderson is invisible and under-appreciated, but in the VR-game Forever Fantasy Online she's Roxxy—the respected leader and main tank of a top-tier raiding guild. Her brother, James Anderson, is a college drop-out struggling under debt, but in FFO he's famous—an explorer known al
Published June 1st 2018 by Aaron/Bach LLC

To ask other readers questions about Forever Fantasy Online, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Fantasy Online

TS Chan
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review-copy
I received an advanced reading copy from the authors in exchange for an honest review.

Excellent characters, an engaging story and geek humour. What more can one ask for?

Forever Fantasy Online is one of my first LitRPG novels, but thanks to the powerhouse couple of Rachel Aaron and Travis Bach, it will not be my last. I will start by talking just a bit about my experience with RPGs as this will provide some context for my review. While I had been quite a geek during my younger days, my RPG days (
Bill Door
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of the Heartstriker series for a while and I also happen to love LitRPG, so when I heard that Rachel Aaron was co-writing a new LitRPG book I was stoked! Then I heard that it was going to be a “stuck in a video game” storyline and I immediately became nervous. Of all the plotlines in LitRPG “stuck in a video game” is my least favorite by a wide margin. I considered myself totally burned out on them, and I was very concerned that although I’m a fan of Aaron’s, I still wouldn’t e ...more
Conor
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I figure I should at least drop my weighted ratings in if Im going to be too lazy to write reviews:

Plot:9/15
Enjoyment:30/30

Total: 80/100
Lisa
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
WHY WOULD YOU END IT LIKE THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I listened to this one on audio, and I have to say that the narrator, Josh Hurley, did a fantastic job. He really brought all the characters to life, giving each of them their own voice. Sometimes I forgot it was only one person telling the story! For me, that’s a mark of a great narrator.

Oh man, this story was a lot of fun. I experienced so much nostalgia from my World of Warcraft days while listening to this book. It had all the common elements from
Christa
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first venture with litRPG. In fact I had never heard of it before this book. I read this solely based off the reason I loved Rachel Aaron’s Heartstriker series, which you should read immediately if you like urban fantasy.

The game forever fantasy online is a popular role playing game. It uses virtual reality (think ready player one) to give a full immersion experience. Tina is an expert player and is getting a group together to raid the dungeon and beat the unbeaten last boss, the On
Mihir
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Forever Fantasy Online has a lot of firsts a first for Rachel Aaron, it's her first collaborative effort (with her husband Travis Bach no less), and it's her first foray into the LitRPG genre, also it's Travis Bach's debut as well. I was lucky to be given a draft of this book and I also read the finalized version.

The story is set from the viewpoints of a brother-sister duo, Tina and James Anderson. Tina and James are both massively experienced players in Forever Fantasy Onlin
Yoly
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read Fortune's Pawn I always expect to have an awesome time reading a book by Rachel Aaron and I haven’t been disappointed yet. This one she co-wrote with her husband Travis Bach and I hope this is not the only series that they write together because it was awesome. They’re a great team.

I’m a former World of Warcraft junkie, so this book felt like it was written for me. I even had a dream a couple of nights ago that I was a character inside World of Warcraft and I was fighting some
Dragana
May 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-fantasy
GAMING + one of my favorite authors !!!
Tam
Forever Fantasy Online is a LitRPG where the characters end up stuck in the game. You know, the ones where the characters play through a virtual reality system and then somehow end up stuck inside the game, being hit hurts, death is permanent, and all that fun stuff. I found this one to be unique compared to those that I’d read previously, almost like portal fantasy rather than LitRPG. NPCs (non-player characters) are people too. They’ve been stuck in a recurring nightmare where they’re forced t ...more
Marianne
Meh, didn't like this one much. That being said, this might actual be a real case of "it's not you, it's me". I went in to this book knowing that I'm not a gamer - or a gaming fan. I should have known the fighting scenes would bore me. The book wasn't without its merits, though. I thoroughly enjoyed James's character. And best of all; one again, Rachel Aaron has picked a superb narrator. Hats of to Josh Hurley for his fabulous narration.
Alex Hughes
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Extremely well written, plotted, conceived. Not in the end my thing, though.

But I’ve always been a Civilization 4 or SimCity kind of person, anyways.
Zophael
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall I thought this book was okay, the world in this book is more interesting than the main characters.

Tina’s side of the story is mostly whining and complaining. I feel like the whole sexual assault thing was a vehicle to explain the mental disorder confusing virtual reality with actual reality but they don’t go anywhere with it. They don’t tell any of the other players the assailant is suffering from it, it wouldn’t excuse his action in game but it would help explain them, sine they ALL th
Alexa
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if I'd have liked this as much if I wasn't a video game player, particularly a World of Warcraft player (which is quite obviously one of the huge influences of the book)

But I am, which means I didn't need any explanation to get into the story. The moment it said: "mountain" and "raid" I was 100% invested and I quite liked it!

The plot is not particularly original; I've read variations of the "stuck on a game" and "sentient NPC" ideas before. But it's interesting and goes at a good pa
Moira
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
7.6.2018 - 3,5*
Není to litRPG. Čte se to více jako fantasy a i když to má prvky, které to ke hře pojí, damn, je to nakonec z prostředí hry... styl psaní a děj situaci vykreslují spíše k fantasy žánru.
Jelikož mám psaní Aaron ráda, nevadilo mi to. Vystavěla zajímavé charaktery, tak precizní právě proto, jak nedokonalé byly. Děj, který nebyl přehnaně zamotaný, ale ani nudně lineární. Tady ale byly náznaky, že to snad byla jen příprava na něco většího v budoucnu? A pozadí, které nebylo špatné.
Přesto
Graylark
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: litrpg
+ Action-packed and page-turning
+ Story was gripping, if darker than I expected
+ Quite liked the subtle little romance building up there

- Characterization pretty bad. All characters were either full-on asshole or would do a complete 360 to nice guy, so fast it gave you whiplash.
- Almost everyone was not very likable in the guild, including the guild leader herself. The only likable person there was SB.

I'll still read the next book, because I want to know what happens.

P. S. It ends on a cliffha
Davey Sterner
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Characters were obnoxious and showed little to no growth or development. Story moved frustratingly slowly. Exciting parts of the story were bogged down lengthy unnecessary descriptions. I preferred the side characters that actually showed some depth and the only reason this book gets 2 stars.
Jennifer Linsky
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good tale, and well written. But I don't know that I'll read the sequel(s).

The tone is very GrimDark -- everyone's hands are against us, the situation is horrible, what the hell are we going to do?! Where Log Horizon is kind of a dream, FFO is a straight-up nightmare.
Brad T.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, best-ever, litrpg
Awesome awesome awesome. Great book
Lila
May 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Wait, Rachel Aaron wrote LitRPG novel?!

description

Can't wait.
Dorothy
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for Online Gamers of all ages! I was introduced to Rachel Aaron's works via Eli Monpress and the Heartstrikers Series. Great fun!
Jill Heather
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
Westworld, video game version. This book took a REALLY long time to get fun, and it's only because I've enjoyed her other books that I persevered. It was worth continuing, but the first third needed extensive tightening/rewriting.
Nancy Meservier
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Tina and James are in love with the VR game Forever Fantasy Online. That is until all the players become trapped inside. They quickly discover that the world of FFO has never been just a game, but a real place, and the NPCs, held captive for years, are ready to take out their revenge on the players.

And respawning is no longer an option.

Forever Fantasy Online is my first foray into the LitRPG genre, and based on what I’ve seen here, I can see why so many people enjoy it. Tina and James’s stories
Stephanie Gwaltney
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
As a devoted fan of Rachel Aaron's Heartstrikers series AND SwordArtOnline/LogHorizon style anime, I could not have been more excited to hear Aaron was going to write a series in the LitRPG genre.

As with the Heartstrikers series, FFO is full of rich world building, introspective characters who grow with the story, and a large helping of moralizing.

I enjoyed this book for what it was, a light read by an author I enjoyed. I struggled to get through a couple of bits, and my major issues were that
Pop Bop
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
MMMM, now That's Good LitRPG

My first few attempts to read LitRPG did not go well. For most of them, reading the book was like looking over someone's shoulder while he played a video game. In the better ones, at least, the heroes end up in the game, but then the adventure just goes on like a real adventure and the "gameness" gets left behind. This book, though, was interesting and engaging because it managed to be both a ripping adventure and a knowing and clever meta-commentary on gaming itself.
Stanislas Sodonon
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yeah, I know. That score is massively surprising coming from me.
So here is the deal:

I started reading LitRPG this year, and have gone through several versions of the genre yet, and every time I've had the same gripe: Too much gaming jargon, not enough story!

This book, for me, is the epitome of what a "Lost in the Game" book should be.
A great and engaging story, well-crafted characters, a nice convolutely plot, and just the right amount of world-building not to go into full-blown Fantasy.

I really
Chris Evans
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg, fantasy
I'm a big fan of Aaron's Hearstriker series and I enjoy LitRPG's so I was really interested in seeing what she could do with the genre. My excitement was dampened with the description, who ever wrote it (maybe Aaron her self) made it sound like the most cliche LitRPG possible. Oh boy was I wrong.

Lets start with I'm not sure this counts as a LitRPG. It started as one, Game mechanics, full immersion game, ext, but when the 'trapped in the game' thing happened, it wasn't a game any more. Ya that's
Liesl
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I've read any RPGLit and wow, what a way to start. I love the whole "trapped in a video game" premise, but previously any of the stories I read based around the idea were a bit lackluster and didn't delve into the issues I wanted them to (I'm looking at you, Sword Art Online). That is definitely not the case with Forever Fantasy Online.

Players forced to confront the fact that killing monsters is no longer grinding for XP, but actually destroying living creatures? Check. P
Cmoore
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished listening to this funtastic book, and yep, it's a Lit-RPG... written by a long time favorite author of mine, Rachel Aaron, but this time she's sharing the helm with her husband, Travis Bach... And they did great together!
The story follows a brother and sister (James and Tina) as they log into the mmorpg "Forever Fantasy Online", but not together, they've already had way too much of each other in real life... And of course, the game glitches badly. They discover that they can't l
J
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love it.
This is now the 2nd ever LitRPG to get a 4 star from me. (None have yet achieved a 5.)
I didn't realize until the end that this was the same author as Heartstrikers, but it makes sense as to why this is above the rest of the LitRPGs I've read.
Also really like the decision to make the MMO/RPG terms into a glossary. That is what all the LitRPGs should be doing instead of trying to force the descriptions into the story proper.

To be clear, parts of the writing are a bit on the "telling" side
O
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this four stars, but this was very nearly a DNF for me.

Unlike the Nice Dragons Finish Last series, I almost instantly hated both of the main characters and a considerable portion of the minor characters as well (besides Frank). They were whiny, controlling, there's a near sexual assault (although the guy thought he was dreaming) and all their worst qualities were the ones that shone first. There's nothing I hate more in a book than protagonists that I dislike, and that's where the near-D
  • Friends and Foes (Bushido Online, #2)
  • Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (The Order of the Stick, #D)
  • A Trap for the Potentate (The Dark Herbalist, #3)
  • The Mongolian Wizard
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 12: The Demon King Piccolo (Dragon Ball, #12)
  • The Phobia of Renegade X (Renegade X, #4)
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • Retribution (Awaken Online, #2.5)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • An Import of Intrigue (The Maradaine Constabulary, #2)
  • The Effigy Engine: A Tale of the Red Hats
Hello, my name is Rachel Aaron, and I write the Heartstriker books, a new Urban Fantasy series about misfit dragons, starting with Nice Dragons Finish Last. I also wrote The Legend of Eli Monpress fantasy series for Orbit Books about a wizard thief and the poor bastards who have to try and stop him. PLUS I'm also the author of the new, rolicking fun Science Fiction romance Fortune's Pawn under the ...more

FFO (2 books)