Start by marking “You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend” as Want to Read:
You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend

You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend

A hilarious, captivating commentary that gives us--finally--a true dog’s-eye view of the world.

• The Sofa: “The sofa is Position One. The sofa makes you feel as if you are with your people even when your people are gone.”

• The Toilet: “The advantage of drinking from the toilet is that the water is always fresh.”

• The Baby: “Often known as She Who Randomly Flings Food fro
hardcover, 160 pages
Published October 19th 2004 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about You Are a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are a Dog

Start your review of You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend
Sophia Bain
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so do you actually have a dog?
Pia
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A book about dog-love, yes, but also an elegy to a lost child that's filled with Grace. Honest, tender and apt.
Claudia
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is on my shelf, signed by the author to my fuzzy ones, Ivan and Scout. Ivan died almost two years ago now and when I pick up this book I'm reminded of his dear doggy self.
Cary
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you love dogs, you will love this book without a doubt. It was like having my dog talk to me.
Amy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a cute book. Some of the descriptions were funny.
Craig
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fictional
This was a good book.

The book is composed of many short clips/stories told from the dog's point of view. Many are funny or at least have humorous parts. But it felt fractured and I couldn't get a good flow. There isn't really a plot, as it isn't really a story. And perhaps that was my assumption coming into the book.

The author does a good job of personifying the dog. We see many of our interactions with our dog, from the dog's point of view (or at least, the author's interpretation of that view)
Jeannie
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I enjoyed this funny little book, in fact rolled on the floor during some of it! Written from the perspective of our best friend the dog, I especially loved when he explained why he likes to lick humans. Now I know why my lab, Bammie licks everyone, all the time. Aside from being hilarious, I did learn some things about my dogs that were quite interesting! A fast and fun read, if you love dogs you should enjoy this gem.
Amy P.
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out great. I loved it and kept reading it for a while. I highly agree with many of the things the book says, and the author definitely has a good sense of humor. After a while though, it started getting quite repetitive, so I stopped reading it for a while. With that said I still would recommend this book for reading of and on when you need a little bit of humor.
Renee
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice light read about a dog's life from the dog perspective. It reads quickly and doesn't require much thought to understand. Made me laugh at parts in which it described things I see my dogs doing.
Kelly
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! Every dog-lover should definitely read!
Arapahoe Libraries
A short, humorous book written from the viewpoint of the family dog.
Sara
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ehhhhh. I wanted to like it, but it got too philosophical for my tastes at the end. It did make me smile it parts though, so not a complete waste of time.
Tara Wowra
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This book is pee your pants funny in some spots.
Devon
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was cute, but as a dog-owner it was nothing I hadn't thought about in passing before. A fun read for waiting rooms or DMVs.
Malerie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Coming from an absolute lack of knowledge of dogs or their thought processes, it was an amusing read, though I imagine much more so for a reader with greater dog experience.
Billy
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very comical book re: a dog's view point!
Donna Hunt
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty good book. I like the style of man talking to a dog about all the things of dogness.
Laikin
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"You are a Dig" has a very different point of view that I enjoyed.
Jill
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I loved this book. It helps that I have a Border Collie and could relate completely! If you are a dog person - read this book. Super fun read!
Christy
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
Cute, intriguing idea. Got the gist early on. Would have been a better short story.
Lynn
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My dog does NOT like snow shovels either...I think of this book every time it snows. Hilarious!
melhara
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog Owners
Can they not tell you apart from their own children? It's likely that they can. But they so often treat you and talk to you so much like they would treat and talk to the children that you sometimes have to wonder.

This started off as a pretty cute book about life through the eyes of a dog but I quickly grew bored of it's repetitiveness. Reading this book made me realize that I'm probably not the target audience since I've never been a dog owner and am more of a cat person. I think a lot of do
Kristin
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I've had this book in my personal library for quite some time but hadn't gotten around to reading it. I felt compelled to start reading it a few weeks before we had to let our beloved Shaggy cross over the rainbow bridge, and I finished it a little more than a week after his passing. I thought some of the sections were quite cute and funny. Others I didn't really relate to with my personal dog ownership experience or I just didn't find amusing. It's a quick read. If half-stars were an option, I' ...more
Noemi Rodriguez
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to any dog lover. It's incredibly simple, but so funny and so heartwarming. There were many parts where I would laugh and many parts where I would simply smile at the beauty of having a dog.

Dogs are great. And this book just proves it.
Very entertaining read: The story of what life is like living in a "pack" comprised primarily of humans, as told from the dog's perspective
Lindsay
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Cute. Simple. Quick read.
Autumn Byrd
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library, animals
description

As a dog mom of a rambunctious corgi this was a perfect book to read. Being a dog mom you get to see and experience things others without dogs don't get to experience. So I was super excited about this book. The author of this book includes humor and very true moments that all dog parents need to read about. This is one of those books that dog parents need to read. The humor of dog events that dog parents get to see on an every day basis are perfectly portrayed in this book.

I wish there was more
Lauran
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
This was one of those books I kind of had to push myself to finish. I love dogs, I love all the random quirks my dog has, and You Are a Dog certainly gave some insight into why dogs do what they do. However it wasn't quite as funny as the cover and quotes suggested, and it was rather repetitive, but over all I enjoyed it. I'm glad it was a short 150 pages though!

From - She who sneaks food from the table =D
Jo
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Men and women, 12+, Dog Lovers, Humorists
I thought I was a dog person until I read this book. Now I am certain that I am. I thought I knew a lot about dogs and, after reading this, I realized I didn't know enough. Dog owners will close the book and utter a whimsical "Ahh now I understand."

Great fun, great insight, great read!
Carol Johnson
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Excellent read for dog owners. The book is written from the perspective of the dog and how she relates to her human housemates. It's is spot on and hilarious. He has a great understanding of our relationship with our dogs. I read much of this book out loud to my family because it rang so true! A must read for all dog lovers!
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Adult Fic written from dog's point of view [s] 22 261 Nov 21, 2016 04:11PM

• The Holdout
  • The Guest List
  • Chances Are...
  • The Last Child (Johnny Merrimon, #1)
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • The English American
  • Plain Truth
  • War Horse (War Horse, #1)
  • I Am Still Alive
  • Kisses from Katie
  • My Guy Barbaro: A Jockey's Journey Through Love, Triumph, and Heartbreak with America's Favorite Horse
  • Daring to Hope: Finding God's Goodness in the Broken and the Beautiful
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
  • IQ (IQ, #1)
  • Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
  • Farm Boy (War Horse, #2)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
Author of You Are a Dog and We Are the Cat. Husband, Father, Sock Wearer.

News & Interviews

“When they are away, you will often look for the baby doll, but it is not always there, where it is supposed to be, where you left it. Sometimes The Baby moves it, or she takes it with her, and you have to settle for some other toy. You bring it into the living room and set it between your paws as you sleep. It helps you believe that one day you might be a real mother.” 1 likes