Start by marking “The Jolly Pocket Postman” as Want to Read:
The Jolly Pocket Postman

The Jolly Pocket Postman

(The Jolly Postman)

Join the Jolly Postman with his mailbag of delightful deliveries for Dorothy from Oz, Alice from Wonderland, and other favorite storybook characters.
Published September 1st 1995 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Jolly Pocket Postman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jolly Pocket Postman

Diana Maria
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Uuuu, this must be my favourite of the series, with the Jolly Postman having many adventures around many beloved characters in a dream, or maybe not.
Shanaz Begum
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!

I cannot believe I have not read this before! It’s a brilliant idea to follow the Jolly Postman on his rounds. The authors have cleverly interwoven the stories of Jack & The Beanstalk, Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz. I love the little extras throughout the book. There are “pockets” designed like envelopes, which contain letters, a telegram, a “coded” message, a postcard and a miniature book. I love books which include extras and letters to read.

This book is a great
Isobel
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This classic tale is about a jolly postman delivering letters to different fairytale characters. It is intriguing for children because they can read the letter and the envelopes to find out which letter is addressed to certain fairytale characters.
Caroline
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable and very charming, with tiny books within books. I'm a great admirer of Janet Ahlberg, who wrote one of my favorite children's books (that's also remarkably difficult to find in the U.S., unfortunately): Burglar Bill.
Sarah Coles
I have heard so many lovely reviews about this story book, and I can understand why! Below are some of the main reasons as to why I rate this book so highly.

- It is jam packed with lots of sweet illustrations and little extras which I am sure would children love to explore independently.
- The format has some lovely introductory rhyming couplets which could be discussed as a whole class.
- There is reference throughout to traditional tales which could be explored at the teacher's discretion. Th
Clwseattle
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
I love these Jolly Postman books! I love how intricate and complex yet satisfyingly simple for a little one The Jolly Pocket Postman story is with references to fairy tales, The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. There is so much to see and explore. I've now read all three Jolly Postman books. They are a treasure! My favorite (so far) of the Janet Ahlberg books remains Each Peach Pear Plum
Fiona Hill
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, ks1
Children would find this book very funny because everything seems to go wrong for The Jolly Postman. The book also contains wonderful and beautifully illustrated resources, rich vocabulary and the whole story rhymes which I really enjoyed.
Max
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked reading this with the kids. The letters make it exciting. But I liked the first one better.
Kate Mcwilliams
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The Jolly Pocket Postman was one of my favorite books as a child, and having revisited it I will definitely be using it in the classroom. This book follows the Postman on his rounds and cleverly introduces characters from both fairy tales and nursery rhymes. Removable extras in the book can be used to engage KS1 children independently. The wonderful and detailed illustrations make the book enjoyable for adult readers too. This is a must use resource for teachers!
Julia Wickenden
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Because I loved the other two Jolly Postman books so much, I felt that I should read the final book in the set. 'The Jolly Pocket Postman' was my least favourite of the books, perhaps because the 'pocket' nature of The Jolly Postman deprived the reader of the fantastic juxtaposition of the everyday and the fictional that is found in the other two books. Nonetheless the kinaesthetic learner would be intrigued by this book, and the characters encountered as well as the illustrations are charming. ...more
Samantha Maclean
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant book from Janet and Allan Ahlberg - The Jolly Pocket Postman. This book focuses on a postman that is out delivering letters to some well known characters from other books such as Alice in Wonderland, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and Jack and the Beanstalk. Whilst the story itself is enjoyable, the best aspect of this book is that there are envelopes throughout the book that contain extra parts of the story, such as letters, postcards, a telegram, and a magnifying glass to read ...more
Alessandra
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for books like this, with each page doubling as an envelope holding a letter, postcard, or miniature book which provide clues as to what's going on. There's a charming little story about a postman delivering mail to various fairytale people, incorporating Jack and the Beanstalk, Alice in Wonderland, and the Wizard of Oz. The last pocket contains a sort of alternate history of the story, a miniature booklet of what else would have happened if, a fun meta-level finish including ...more
Olivia
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story of The Jolly Pocket Postman is a sweet book about a postman and the varies antics that he gets up to. The book is written in poetic verse the whole way through. For example, ' Cooked his breakfast, fed the dog, Read the paper, kissed the frog,'
The book is humorous and will most certainly make the reader giggle.
Each page has a different little poem continuing the story.
The Jolly Pocket Postman incorporates other stories, like Alice and Wonderland and Little red riding hood, The Wizar
Westcoast_girl
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids of all ages
Shelves: picture-books
My friend used to have this book and whenever I would go over to her house I would read it.
I loved to pull out the little books, the letters, the envelopes, everything! My favourite was the one that looked exactly like the old fashioned envelopes I saw at the museum.
I don't recall ever reading the book until much later. The story isn't nearly as good as all the pull outs.
But it is a brilliant story.

I especially recommend it to today's children who might not have as much knowledge and experience
Tesa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ape-extra-credit
The Jolly Pocket Postman is a children's book about a mail carrier. It has a bunch of pockets in it with removable letters that further the story.

When I was little, this used to be my favorite book and I would make my mom read it to me almost every night. I used to pull the letters out from the pockets and try to sound them out while my mom read the actual story. Eventually I memorized how the story-line went and I would recite the story and pretend that I could read it. I must have made my mom
Meg McGregor
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A very cute book, incorporating many different stories, in it.

Included are characters from The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and the Gingerbread Man.

My edition was missing the letters too but I still enjoyed it.

The story might not make sense to children who don't know the characters from the others stories though.
Donna
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Jolly Pocket Postman shrinks in size while visiting Alice in Wonderland and meets Dorothy and her friends on their way to Oz.

Good thing: the built in letters, and even letters-within-letters, along with the tiny lens to view them, adds a fresh touch to the story.

Bad things: Some of the rhymes were a bit rough.

A fun book! I've enjoyed all three I've read in this series.
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kidlit
It's hard to judge this properly because most of the letters are missing in my version. Still, the concept is cute. A postman has deliveries for various characters in classic children's stories. We get to read the correspondence and it's always fun to open a letter! The problem with this one is that the story goes on too long and is too complicated.
Lisa
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My grandparents had this book and it was the highlight of our visits to read it with them. All of the grandkids thought it was the absolute coolest book ever! I'm going to have to find it for my kids.
Cassandra
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourite picture books. My brother and I both loved this when we were little, especially all of the little mini-books and postcards and stuff inside it that enhance the story wonderfully.
Taylor Owens
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I remember this book from when I was a child. My siblings and I would frequently beg my dad to read it to us as a bed time story. After revisiting this book as an adult, I can see how great this book is for students to learn about how to write letters. Overall fun story that kids love!
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
A really good book for packing in your child's holiday 'things to do ' bag. It is compact but has the activity value of opening the letters and it is a book children and parents will happily read again and again.
Lorna
I like this book too but not as much as the jolly postman. I find the rhyming a little awkward in some places but it's still a good story with links to other tales. This is more suitable for older children than the first book!
Lisbeth Solberg
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not strictly fairy tales, not strictly pop-up, but definitely a sort of book/toy hybrid, this one includes a plastic magnifying glass. I don't love it as much as the first Jolly Postman book, but it's pretty darned cute, and I think the glass would appeal to little ones a lot.
Ashlyn Barker
I think children would love this book! I personally feel that the story is confusing to follow but I bet children will fill in any gaps with their own creative imagination. I love that the book has little letters and cards to read on some of the pages - those were my favorite part!
Heather
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite children's books. I love how interactive it is. There are stories inside stories. You get to open the mail and see what's inside. Great story.
Amanda
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Jolly Postman series.
Emma
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my absolute favourite books of all time. Rhyming words + storybook characters + LETTERS!!!
Seeing as I never got mail as a child opening letters was always a bonus/party.
Andrea
Dec 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
It's a really great book for young ones.

I must have re-read this a million times just to open the little goodies in the book, and I do like my rhymes...

Kimberly
A cute children's book that has lots of details and even includes a magnifier to see all the details.

• Little Bear's Trousers
  • Grandma and the Pirates
  • The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale
  • This is London
  • Chameleon, Chameleon
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • Piggybook
  • Captain Slaughterboard Drops Anchor
  • Jamela's Dress
  • Previously
  • The Cat's Quizzer
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years

The Jolly Postman (3 books)
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters