Start by marking “The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine #3)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine #3)

The Golden Mean

(Griffin & Sabine #3)

I received your Paris card. I waited but you did not returne the 23rd. I waited until the 31st, but you did not return. What happened? Where are you?
--Sabine

Sabine's Notebook ended with a disturbing disclosure--Griff and Sabine had somehow eluded each other once again. The Golden Mean beings with an even more disturbing development:

I was sure I understood. Yet you were not
Published August 1st 1993 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Mean, please sign up.
Janet Mahlum
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mohsin Maqbool
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
description
An enlarged cover of the book.

NICK Bantock's The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine trilogy #3) continues where Sabine's Notebook left off. The book is in the form of correspondence between two lovers Sabine and Griffin. It contains 15 beautifully-illustrated postcards and four letters that are tucked inside intricately-designed envelopes.

description
Griffin's postcard to Sabine, telling her about the storybook he is writing for children.

I had bought the tome towards the beginning of the new millennium and k
Hannah Greendale
Just when Griffin and Sabine's story is starting to feel a bit stagnant, a postcard appears with unfamiliar handwriting from a character yet unseen in the series. The new character makes an odd request, and the result is an unexpected twist that shifts the tone from surreal to unnerving.

With few words, Nick Bantock stirs the imagination and hints at something from a veiled realm:

Academically bright as he is, [he] never has been able to smell a shadow.

I will take you to the garden and show you
Staci
Aug 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
I once went to a Nick Bantock reading where he boasted of his success in the face of his teachers of English literature who had, to put it nicely, not encouraged him. This reading, and I suspect a large part of the book tour, was a proud snub in the face of all that. He was intent upon getting the message out that his teachers had told him that he couldn't write and, boy, had he shown them. Having read the first book of the series, I would have proudly stood to his defense, in full agreement. Th ...more
Matthew
If I could sum up my feelings about this particular book and series it would be this:

I wasted my valuable time believing that this series would get better and have the ending resolved but I was wrong. Knowing that now I believe this should have been one long standalone book to hell with it. I love the artwork, the letters, and the whole creative part of this book but I believe this story did not stand up to par with the creative artwork. I believe in my humble opinion that the first book was the
Korri
I read all three books in one go, excited by the tactile experience of snooping through personal correspondence and charmed by the imagery. But at the end of this strange journey I feel like there really wasn't much substance. Sure, there's the mystery of how Sabine & Griffin can exist in different planes or parallel times. Sure, the images on their one-off postcards could probably be scrutinized for deep orientalist fanatasies, class distinctions, or whatever. But so many elements--the 'vil ...more
Elizabeth A
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is the final book in the Griffin and Sabine trilogy, and I would highly recommend reading all three of these visual novels back to back. Love how this story unfolds. Am checking my mailbox now to see if I got a postcard from a stranger ....
Taylor Dodge
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series was so fun and magical with beautiful and interesting art to go with it. I strongly recommend all three books!
Kaila
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, ephemera
I hated the additional character added to this one. I guess the author ran out of ideas and so put that in for some drama, but it was dumb.

Definitely lost the magic that was there in the first one, although I did like the stamp on the very last postcard.

I borrowed the next trilogy from my friend so I'll go ahead and read them. They only take about 30-40 minutes to read all the way through so it's not a huge commitment.
Josiphine/Tessa
I think I like this series, though I don't totally love the ending of this one.
Amanda
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
So weird and cool! I definitely want to read the other books attached to the series.
Kim
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
The mystery concludes, but is not solved. I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two mostly because the number of unanswered questions was too large. I still think it was really good, just slightly unsatisfying in a way that is actually appropriate to the nature of the book. The only narration comes from the characters who are living their lives oblivious to being observed, when they stop writing letters you stop hearing about their lives. As their relationship changes they maintain it in ...more
Erin Germain
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The final book of the trilogy, and Griffin and Sabine have yet to meet one another, other than through the gorgeous postcards and letters in the book.

This one introduces a third character, who appears to have something to do with their inability to actually meet, but who he is and what his actual intentions are is left somewhat vague.

Griffin is back in England and Sabine in her home. It looks as though they are back to where they began, but they are also determined to meet one another.

Again, th
Joanna Marie
While I expected to ask a lot of questions to unveil the whole trilogy's mystery, more specifically the extraordinary telepathy and correspondence, I did not like how it ended. It may have been a happy ending for Griffin and Sabine but I felt I needed more of that suspense from Victor in this finale.

But I still recommend this series especially if you like opening letters, reading postcards, and you are into experimental and abstract art. ;)
Tiffany
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
For a "conclusion" to a trilogy, this book is really lacking. I just don't get the hype. Griffin himself says it best: "To tell the truth, I don't know about the story, but I quite like the pictures."
Jessica
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The beautiful conclusion of the trilogy. I love these beautifully drawn letters and cards, and piecing together the story through Griffin and Sabine's correspondence!
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Weak ending but otherwise as good as the first two. Love the artwork and the premise is very clever.
Dougie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A worthy conclusion to the trilogy, the art is as good as ever and the tale of Griffin and Sabine is brought to a worthy, if mysterious, end.

I’m still not decided if the books should have stopped at one or expanded into the three that we have. The first one had a touch of magic that seemed to be missing from the others. It seemed as the story advanced it sought to explain more than was necessary which wasn’t possible in the short length it has. This perhaps got in the way a little and made some
Mary
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shubhi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readings-in-2018
The beautiful connection between two strangers who have never met. The romance and mystery and the story which progresses through the series of postcards and letters exchanged between Griffin and Sabine, leaves the reader wanting more at the end of book. As the story is progressing, one starts wondering if they are real of figment of imagination. While a voyeuristic touch of reading someone's mail is fun, the illustrations are glorious. Love every page of this series!
Aimee Leonhard
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this trilogy of books but I felt that this ended on cliff hanger. What happens next? It may be the last book in a trilogy but it doesn't feel like it.
Ike
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Griffin and Sabine is a unique “illustrated novel” that creates a wonderment of flights of fantasy, love-lust, intrigue, and mystery all skillfully contained in the writing of postcards and letters between a lonely young postcard maker in London and a stamp designer from the very difficult to find group of islands in the South Pacific. Sabine proclaims that she has been seeing Griffin paint and draw his postcards for a long time. Thus begins their extraordinary correspondence. Their story is rev ...more
Pat
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sorry to see this intriguing series end! Loaned to me by a reading friend, I thoroughly enjoyed the quirky story, illustrations and magical elements! Thank you Anne for steering me to a genre I would not usually choose!
Lynn
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Today's post is on The Golden Mean by Nick Bantock. It is the third in his Griffin & Sabine trilogy. It is 46 pages long and is published by Chronicle Books. The cover is green and gold with postcard in the center. The intended reader is someone who has read the two books, likes reading other peoples mail, and love stories. There is mild language, no sex, and no violence in this book. The story is told from the first person perspectives of Griffin and Sabine. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the
Allison
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: truly-amazing
As beautiful as the other three books in the trilogy, we get a little closer to conclusion in this book.

I do still love them all, but have to say that I was disappointed in the ending. Maybe I'm not artsy enough? philosophical enough? tarot-card-reading enough to get it...?

Of course, I still recommend the entire trilogy for the experience they give, but I do wish the ending was more comprehensible, as I sit here scratching my head. Seems such a lost opportunity somehow...
Namitha Varma
I LOVE THESE BOOKS.

ALL CAPS. LOVE.
Barbara
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this Trilogy by Nick Bantock when I picked up Griffin & Sabine for a dollar at our local library book sale. The joy of books (advertisement for reading) is that this early 1990’s series was vibrant and new to me in 2015. I immediately went to the library and checked out all of the Nick Bantock’s books (also an advertisement for libraries). The story and artwork are as engaging today as they must have been 20+ years ago.

I was immediately hooked by the intriguing story, quirky for
Sarah T
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amanda Cook
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This beautiful trilogy of fascinating novels, in which the reader pulls out the letters and reads the postcards of the two main characters, was a quick, but not entirely easy read for me. One could finish the entire trilogy in an hour or two, but I found myself lingering over the artwork, trying to discover the hidden messages and meanings in the drawings and paintings. The ending of "The Golden Mean" (the last of the trilogy) left me a bit dissatisfied, until I realized it had to end that way. ...more
Emmypeaches
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: experimental
This is the last in the trilogy and again in trying so hard to be different and an unusual and beautiful format, the plot is seriously lacking. Again, took me ten minutes to read, and the sudden introduction of the 'villain' is a little amusing rather than scary. The book lacks depth; even the letters could be longer and more detailed.

Not to spoil anything but the ending is completely random and feels like the author's attempt at fobbing off the reader as he can't be bothered to keep the stories

• The Tattooed Map
  • Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey, #3)
  • Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide
  • The Lover's Path: An Illustrated Novella of Venice
  • Everything is Its Own Reward: An All Over Coffee Collection
  • Sunrise
  • Blue Chicken
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon
  • Georgia O'Keeffe: Art and Letters
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art
Nick was schooled in England and has a BA in Fine Art (painting). He has authored 25 books, 11 of which have appeared on the best seller lists, including 3 books on the New York Times top ten at one time. ‘Griffin and Sabine’ stayed on that list for over two years. His works have been translated into 13 languages and over 5 million have been sold worldwide. Once named by the classic SF magazine We ...more

Griffin & Sabine (7 books)
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
  • Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine #2)
  • The Gryphon: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Is Rediscovered (Morning Star Trilogy, #1)
  • Alexandria: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Unfolds (Morning Star Trilogy, #2)
  • The Morning Star: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine is Illuminated (Morning Star Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Lost Correspondence