Start by marking “Uma estranha em casa” as Want to Read:
Uma estranha em casa

Uma estranha em casa

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  56,440 ratings  ·  5,820 reviews

Suspense da mesma autora de O casal que mora ao lado. Uma vida da qual você não se lembra. Um passado do qual você não consegue escapar. Karen Krupp acorda no hospital, sem ter a menor ideia de como foi parar lá. Tom, seu marido, diz que a porta estava destrancada quando ele entrou em casa, as luzes, acesas, e que a esposa provavelmente saiu às pressas quando estava

Published April 26th 2018 by Record (first published July 27th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Uma estranha em casa, please sign up.
Carly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rose
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  56,440 ratings  ·  5,820 reviews

Start your review of Uma estranha em casa
Kathryn
Let me start this whole she-bang by saying I almost DNFed this book in excess of 10 times. I’ll repeat that statement slower for maximum impact. I. ALMOST. DNFed. THIS. BOOK. TEN. BLOODY. TIMES. For those unfamiliar with my reading habits this is a HUGE deal. Like scream-it-from-the-rooftops level HUGE. I’m a compulsive book finisher. I NEVER DNF. But this book--this book was my everest.

After having enjoyed Shari LaPena’s debut novel, The Couple Next Door, I eagerly awaited her next work. But
Meredith
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I'm not going to write a detailed review. I found this book to be a convoluted mess. The last 3 pages were good. Other than that, I don't have much to say!
Holly  B
5 STARS

I literally could not stop reading or thinking about reading this book! I loved the frantic tone that gave me the feeling of being on edge and the super quick pace. Never a boring moment. I carried this book around with me just in case I had a few minutes to get a few pages in!

Tom and Karen have a picture perfect life. The are newlyweds with a beautiful home and Tom is a successful accountant. That is until Karen's accident, she has crashed her car into a pole and has no idea why she was
Miriam Smith
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
I haven't read Shari Lapena's previous novel, the hugely successful "The Couple Next Door", so I was looking forward to reading a book by a new author to me and a one that comes highly recommended within my online book circles.
"A Stranger In The House" is a brilliant and intriguing suspense thriller that was so compelling I couldn't put it down - I know it's a cliche - but I found it so easy to read and follow, I just wanted to keep on turning the intriguing and entertaining pages.
Karen is
Jaidee
Nov 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 "c'est terrible" star !!!

2017 Award - Worst Read of the Year (runner up)

Plastic plot
Wooden characters
Juvenile writing

The Stranger in the House should have a run-in with the Girl on the Train and save us all from these horrible little chick-lit thrillers.

Nothing redeeming to say about this except I had to find out how this horrid little book ended.

Yuck !
Julie
A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena is a 2017 Pamela Dorman Books publication.

Oh dear. Well, this novel is the fourth one I’ve read within a one or two- month span with very similar plot lines.

Although, by the time I got this one from the library, I’d grown weary of the repetitiveness, I have to say I enjoyed the quirky atmosphere, and the dash of dark humor thrown into the mix, which was refreshing.

Tom and Karen look like the ideal couple. But, their lives rapidly spiral out of control
Elyse (semi hiatus) Walters
Update.... strange strange strange ... I read strong positive reviews of this book the other day - thought to myself - “oh ... I forgot the author had a 2nd novel that I wanted to read - as “The Couple Next Door” was good with an ending that had me laughing my bazooka- off....
So....
The library ebook was available: As I started reading - I kept saying “I’ve read this before”... IT WAS SO FAMILIAR
STRANGE.... HAD I? YES!!!!
It’s rare that I forget about a book that I read.... but what’s interesting
*TANYA*
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really enjoying this book, I was intrigued. And although it was a "classic" storyline, were if honesty reigned supreme, none of the chaos would have happened. I kept hoping for "more". Oh, and do not get me started on Tom, what a weak, pathetic spouse!!!!
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
Traveling Sister Review by Brenda and Lindsay

What a surprise a Stranger in the House was for us as we were not expecting to like this one as much as we did. I decided to listen to this while Lindsay read it. It’s a great easy one to listen to that didn't require my full attention.

A Stranger in the House is an intriguing, easy and fast-paced suspenseful psychological thriller that had us both purely entertained by this fun and easy story.

Shari Lapena does a good job creating unlikable
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4 stars! I was impressed with this quick and easy, suspense-filled thriller!

This was an engrossing and addictive story. There was a lot of hype surrounding this author, Shari Lapena's, well-loved previous novel "The Couple Next Door". Going into this one, I wasn't sure how this novel would compare but I actually enjoyed this a little more than her previous book. The suspense had me hooked and turning the pages faster and faster as the story continued on.

I had the pleasure of reading this
Carol (Bookaria)
This is the story of Karen and Tom Krupp who have been married for about two years. One day Tom returns home from work and finds their home empty, it seems that Karen was making dinner and had to run out of the house in a hurry leaving her purse and cell phone behind.

Around the same time Karen wakes up in a hospital after being involved in a car accident that has left her partially amnesiac, what's worse is that she can't remember what happened immediately before the accident.

The same day of the
Gary
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I read the write up for this novel I was hooked and had to know more about it. I though this book was a very good read and the fact that I actually guessed the conclusion for once didn't spoil my enjoyment in the slightest.
The lead character Karen is involved in an car accident and wakes up with no memory of what has happened. When Karen's husband arrives home from work he realises there is something wrong, in the kitchen the meal she was preparing is left unfinished and abandoned. Karen's
Erin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october-2017
A Stranger In The House is a light, quick murder mystery. Not as great as Shari Lapena's first novel The Couple Next Door, the plot wasn't as tight or crisp in this book, but it was still a good and fun if predictable read. The story kept me engrossed and I didn't want to put it down. I'm not giving it 4 stars because the ending left something to be desired. Will there be a sequel? I sure hope so because that ending was not enough.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
I've been hemming and hawing over rating this book a 3.5 star or 4. I think I have settled on a 4 star rating.

For those that love novels like, "Girl on the Train" or "Gone Girl", this one is for you. I actually didn't really like "Gone Girl" but I mean, if you like that sort of style in a mystery-thriller, this one is comparable.

This was a good read overall. I wouldn't say I was the biggest fan of the writing style because I felt that it could be choppy at times but I still enjoyed it enough to
Heather
3 1/2

The ending...what the actual hell????
Pauline
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed The Couple Next door by Shari Lapena and I was looking forward to reading her new book A Stranger in the House, this thriller had quite a few twists and turns and an ending I did not see coming.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Katie B
I read this over the course of two days and each day was a complete opposite reading experience. The first day when I read around half the story, I was really into the book and finding out what Karen's deal was and what exactly happened the night of the accident. As I read the second half of the book, my interest took a nose dive and I just wanted to be done with these people and move on to my next read.

Karen and Tom have been married for a few years and by all appearances seem to have a quite
Heidi
The book starts out strong: a man comes home from work to find the house unlocked and his wife’s car gone. The kitchen shows signs of dinner being prepared: a pot of water on the stove, vegetables chopped on the kitchen counter. He calls for his wife but there is no answer. She has left behind her purse and her mobile. Worried, he begins calling her friends, their neighbours, but no one has seen her. Then a policeman knocks on the door .... Lapena really sets the scene here, and I actually had ...more
Nazanin
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

Tom’s wife, Karen, went out and he doesn’t know where she is. She left without her phone and her purse. The door was unlocked and it was unlike her. It’s like Karen ran out of the house! Very soon cops come to his house and tell him about Karen’s accident. It was a single-vehicle accident; the car went into a pole! And they found a dead man not too far from of the place of her accident. He was shot three times. But when Karen wakes up at the hospital she can’t remember what happened! So
Book of Secrets°ღ
Well, you can't love them all. Almost DNF'd this book at 33%, but decided to skim the rest just to see where it went. The premise was certainly intriguing, but the slow pace, implausible situations, and wooden characters turned me off. I'd maybe give this book 1.5 stars? I thought her first book, The Couple Next Door, was entertaining, suspenseful, and fun, but unfortunately A Stranger in the House didn't work for me.
Debra
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Tom Krupp comes home from work and realizes that his front door was not locked. What is even more alarming is that there are signs in the kitchen that his wife (Karen) was preparing dinner but now she is no longer in sight. He checks his home and his wife is not there. He becomes worries and decides to call 911. Across town (in a BAD section of town- we are told this repeatedly), a woman without any identification has driven her car into a pole.

When the police arrive at his door, Tom
Lucie
I'm one of those people who absolutely loved Shari Lapena's debut thriller 'The Couple Next Door' so I was beyond eager to read this one, 'A Stranger in the House.'

There's no denying that Lapena is a terrific writer, and this is another well-written story with plenty of suspense and things to figure out.

In this one, however, there's this weird thing where none of the characters are particularly likeable people. There's just no one here that you really want to root for, which is something I
Helga
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A disappointment. Boring and unbelievable story-line, shallow and unlikable characters. I kept waiting for a twist, a turn, a curl, a something to happen, but it was a no-show. I felt I was reading scraps of several books I had previously read, lazily put together, just to fill some pages. Amnesia??? Really??? And don’t let me start on the husband.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Last year debut novelist Shari Lapena set the psychological domestic based thriller genre alight with her blockbuster novel, The Couple Next Door. Lapena returns to familiar territory with her second release, A Stranger in the House. Lapena’s latest novel is another marital thriller that draws on the complication of an overly intrusive neighbour to spice up the storyline.

Karen is a happily married bookkeeper and housewife of two years, living in upstate New
Liz Barnsley
Hmm.

This is one of those moments where I need to be honest and don't really want to be because I LOVED this authors first book - The Couple Next Door - and enthused about it so would love to keep up that level of support but for me, A Stranger in the House was just another predictable psychological thriller of the dime a dozen kind you see everywhere. Boy I'm so sick of characters with either a drug problem that fogs their thoughts or some random amnesia as a plot device to hide the reveals that
JanB
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I'm struggling with trying to write a review that I feel comfortable posting but I'm failing. So I'll just say that this wasn't the book for me. I almost DNF'd it several times and should have.

Sorry. There are plenty of positive reviews so take mine with a grain of salt.
Peter Monn
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great thriller. The ending is totally worth the wait. Check out my full review on my booktube channel at http://youtube.com/peterlikesbooks
Terri Wino
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2017
2-1/2 stars

Reading over some of the other reviews, I feel as if I read a completely different book than some other people. This started out interestingly enough, even if the writing style did seem slightly simplistic and juvenile. By half way through the book it all started to fall apart for me. The inconsistencies were glaring to me. In one paragraph Tom's mooning over the depth of his love for Karen (we know this because the author tells us so), yet in the next chapter he almost seems to
Marialyce
2.5 not hard to predict stars

Be ever careful about who you marry and be ever more careful about who you move across the street from.

This was a quick read about a couple, two years married and blissfully happy. They have a neighbor living across the street who becomes besties with the wife, Karen. However, the husband is not a fan of this neighbor, Bridget. Seems he knows a lot more about her than her name.

Things turn ugly as Karen is involved in a car accident that leaves her with a huge case of
Juli
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Krupp comes home from work one night to find his wife is gone. He looks around the house. She couldn't have gone far. Her purse and cell phone are still in the house. So he waits. Maybe she had to run to the store. Perhaps she's over at the neighbors. As he begins to get nervous, the police come to the door. There's been an accident. His wife had a car accident -- hit a pole -- in a rough part of town. She's ok....but what was she doing there late at night? Even Karen Krupp isn't sure. She ...more
Lectores de la Cr...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Abril: "Un extraño en casa", Shari Lapena 23 80 May 05, 2019 07:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please combine those books? 3 13 Jan 22, 2019 10:38AM
A Stranger in the House 1 19 Nov 02, 2018 07:24AM

• Sometimes I Lie
  • Before She Knew Him
  • Something in the Water
  • Behind Closed Doors
“Earlier today Brigid visited her favorite shop, Knit One Purl Too. She was running out of the fabulous purple Shibui yarn she’d bought last time. The minute she walked in the door and saw all the colorful skeins of yarn bundled along the walls, almost up to the ceiling, she felt her spirits lift. So much color, so much texture—such unlimited possibilities!” 3 likes
“Suspicion is an insidious thing; doubts have started creeping in, things that he’d previously been able to ignore.” 2 likes