Start by marking “Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story” as Want to Read:
Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story

Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  535 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Being released to tie in with the top-secret and long-awaited film from the late director, the book includes both the screenplay and the classic novel in one volume. 16-page photo insert.
288 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Warner Books (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story

Cecily
description

NOTE: This is a review of the film, rather than of reading of the screenplay itself, and how it differs from Arthur Schnitzler’s novella, Dream Story, which I’ve reviewed in detail HERE.

It was Stanley Kubrick’s final film, in 1999, starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, who were still married to each other at the time (though they divorced soon afterwards). See imdb for details here.

The plot closely follows that of Dream Story, but it is a world away in time, place, and atmosphere.

The film is
Sara Alaee
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
!فیلم رو دیدم و فیلمنامه رو نخوندم- طبیعتا
صحنه های فیلم بسیار سیاه بود و آزاردهنده، به صورت بیمارگونه ای سکشوال و اروتیک و بسیار مبهم. خیلی درکش نکردم. بیشتر وحشت برم داشت از این همه آشوب مسلم - و تا حدود زیادی واقعی!
Bob Wake
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
[Reviewed in 1999]

Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut was shrouded in secrecy and hype for so long (and compounded by Kubrick’s unexpected death last March) that it was probably destined to disappoint critics and moviegoers. Predictably, the film had a stupendous opening weekend, but the few positive reviews it garnered weren’t enough to overcome bad word-of-mouth that sent the box-office grosses plummeting 70% within two weeks.

Warner Books has now published the screenplay (by Kubrick and Frederic
Jerin Tahapary
A very visual Eyes Wide Shut may surpass this literary work.

A perfect photon beaming a-visceral.

But eradicate its “ ’eroticity’ ‘femininity’ ‘mystery’ ", and it be mere ordinary opus.
Virtually doffing every film noir ’s pulp magazine’s artistic effulgences.

This sexuality exceeds indeed.
That even the elite shan’t cognize, that by depicting decadence (predicating multiple forms of sexual orgies), they had advance an atavism back to animalism, tho unconsciously maybe, that they, in their psyches' d
Willow Redd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: film
I picked this up in a university bookstore while getting books for my own courses that year. Another class was apparently going to study Eyes Wide Shut, so I decided to grab myself a copy for my own reading purposes. Took me a while to get to it, but here we are.

This is definitely a version of the script edited to match the final cut of the film, with each and every cutaway and establishing shot written in, so it is not the best version of the script for writers looking to learn the difference f
amy
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-swap
I really enjoyed Dream Story and it's exploration of ideas of fidelity and the main character's feelings of trying to break out of middle age. He wasn't a wholly likable character, but engaging, and the internal dialogue was reminiscent of Milan Kundera's Unbearable Lightness of Being (which of course, came later--but I read Kundera first).

I saw Kubrick's rendition of this a couple of years after it was in theaters (so... c.2001)and thought it was crap. Now, after reading the original story, I K
Jim Dooley
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book provided an excellent opportunity to compare a famous movie with its original source material. EYES WIDE SHUT was Stanley Kubrick's last motion picture (1999), and TRAUMNOVELLE or DREAM STORY (1926) was the book that inspired it. Although I have enjoyed the movie on multiple occasions, I found the book to be the more satisfying of the two.

The movie is surprisingly faithful to the book that proceeded it by over 70-years. It accomplishes this by updating the situations to modern times ..
johnpaul jaramillo
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This edition included the script and the novella by Arthur Schnitzler and I was surprised at how faithful Kubrick and co writer Frederic Raphael were to the novel. Form-wise the novel was in a third person limited omniscience and explored the narrator's thoughts and insights on marriage, fidelity and sex. I have always believed Kubrick adapted novels or established works in order to create an even more immersive experience for the audience between literary text and performance text and also betw ...more
Ali
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Arthur Schnitzler,
So many happening in a short time, (New York area), almost unbelievable, at he same time interesting, also boring …
به احتمالی اغلب فیلم را دیده اند، و رمان را نخوانده اند. خواندن اثار آرتور شنیتسلر حوصله و حواسی جمع لازم دارد، با این همه این رمان مانند دیگر آثار او چنان جذبه و شکوه ندارد. با این همه زبان شیرین رمان در وصف پستی ها و بلندی های رابطه، بر روند قصه در فیلم استانلی کوبریک ارجحیت دارد. این همه واقعه برای یک زوج، در یکی دو شبانه روز، بنظر می رسد کنار هم چیده شده اند،
Faranak Bakhshipour
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
اغلب کسانی که این فیلم را دیدند تنها برداشتشان یک فیل سکچوال خیلی هات بوده ...
همین
اما برای من منظرهای دیگری داشت ... اول از همه رسوخ موریانه وار و بیمارگونه سکس به زندگی و پول و سیاست و اجتماع که در این فیلم نشان داده میشد بی نهایت آزارم داد.
دوم معصومیت پنهان و فلاکت عریان زنان فاحشه این فیلم بود ... قربانیان اصلی که خواسته یا ناخواسته سلاخی میشوند.
و چه ملموس بود بعضی وقایعش در اجتماع ایران خودمان !
من با این فیلم فاصله انسان بودن و نبودن را میدیدم.
Elizabeth
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: persons interested is issues of conformity
Recommended to Elizabeth by: I am reading and watching all Kubricks movies
Kiana
Feb 15, 2008 added it
Shelves: film
faghede hargune mohtava!
Steven
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seen-movies, american
Fours hours of life lost that I won't be getting back ... dull.
Ian
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Both frustrating and fulfilling in its restraint.
yashar
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
فیلم کوبریک ! فیلمی که مثل بقیه آثارش مبهم بود
چه زود رفت
Mike
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Was very interesting to read the screenplay and compare it to Traumnovelle.
Saman Kashi
Aug 21, 2007 added it
Shelves: screenplay

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Margery
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Read after seeing the film - believe the story belongs in period Vienna, not comtemporary New York City -
Thebomb
I've always been a fan of Kubrick.
saw this film a while back, it was really long, as usual with his films, but I like the story well enough.
Poppy
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Goodfellas: Screenplay
  • Chinatown
  • Cinema Paradiso
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • بیست و یک گرم
  • Fargo
  • Taxi Driver
  • Annie Hall: Screenplay
  • Fanny och Alexander
  • Rushmore
  • William Goldman: Four Screenplays with Essays
  • Hydra (Stargate SG-1, #13)
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
Stanley Kubrick was an influential American filmmaker, screenwriter and producer. He directed a number of highly acclaimed and sometimes controversial films. Kubrick was noted for the scrupulous care with which he chose his subjects, his slow method of working, the variety of genres he worked in, his technical perfectionism, and his reclusiveness about his films and personal life.

-http://en.wikipe
More about Stanley Kubrick...