Start by marking “The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity” as Want to Read:
The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity

The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  293 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
As the twentieth century closed, Fred Adams and Greg Laughlin captured the attention of the world by identifying the five ages of time. In The Five Ages of the Universe, Adams and Laughlin demonstrate that we can now understand the complete life story of the cosmos from beginning to end.
Adams and Laughlin have been hailed as the creators of the definitive long-term proje
Published June 19th 2000 by Free Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Ages of the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Ages of the Universe

Ami Iida
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: astronomy, physics
the universe chronology
a long, long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long longlong long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long
Stephen
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book covers the physics of the development of the universe from the big bang to its long, drawn out demise in the unimaginably distant future.

Its science is good and interesting and, after first reading, it could well be used as a reference book. Its drawback is the flights of fancy dotted through it speculating on the possibility of life (as we don’t know it) in the distant future, seemingly added to pad out the book and to widen its audience.

A better book (from the perspective of a good r
Bob Nichols
Aug 31, 2009 rated it liked it
The authors take the reader through a journey that begins with the explosive (an under, understatement) Big Bang era, through progressive cooling eras that allow masses (space debris, stars,galaxies, galaxy clusters) first to form and then proceed to their eventual decay (degeneration), and then their collapse into black holes that culminate in the fifth age, the dark era (no thermodynamic energy and cosmic heat death). The scales of time and space are astounding of course (e.g., our Milky Way h ...more
Anette
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3,5 tähteä
Stephen Sun
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eye opening guide to the long term fate of the universe, albeit with some outdated information. Book is grounded in scientific fact, but last chapter seems to contain a little too much speculation.
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Oct 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Like To Think About The Vastest Vastness
Shelves: astronomy, physics
I was just listening a great lecture on these subjects yesterday given by the physicist Lawrence Krauss and it reminded me of this book. I think I'll give it a reread sometime soon. I'm pretty sure I still have it with some grouping of my slightly unconsolidated book collection hidden away somewhere...

I read this a while back, before I had the more serious general interest in science that I now have, but even then I found this book extremely fascinating, thought-provoking and at moments terrif
Michael
Apr 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I am not sure quite what I was expecting of this book, but it sadly failed to deliver on whatever that expectation was. The sweeping discussion of cosmology - past, present, and distant (really distant) future - certainly sums up everything you ever wanted to know about the creation and destruction of the universe, but it never seemed to find its audience. Parts of it are aimed at readers mostly uninformed about astrophysics and quantum mechanics, while others delve into mathematical discussions ...more
Alan
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book for a philosophy discussion and was unfortunately quite rushed. The book really explores in fascinating depth the death of the universe. What will it be like in the far distant future, long after all the stars are gone, the black holes have evaporated, and even protons have decayed? Well other than really cold and dark? Can life of any sort be created from black holes? How about life from just electrons and positrons? Most of the ideas in the books seemed plausible. I found some ...more
Samuel Viana
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book.... truly I don't know if it's more of science fiction or serious science. But therotical physics had always been like this, a speculative science field, so would say that what comes in this book is tremendously speculative? What matters to me, if after 10^100 bilion years or 10^100^100 bilion years (or cosmological decades, the time unity used in this book) it will be some lifeform or some hope of a new beginning... for the place where we all live. God can itself Be a scientist, afte ...more
Mike Wigal
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked it. I enjoyed the author's layout of the über long fate of the universe. It's a bit dated though. They consistently put the age of the universe at ten billion years when 13+ billion is now the more accepted figure. I'd love to see an updated version. I was moved they recommended the scientific method as being the single concept representing the intellectual achievements of our culture. In this political anti-science age it's important to acknowledge that.
Erin
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
A bit heavy in parts (no surprise) but as a bit of an astronomy/cosmology nerd, I loved this book. It's full of mind blowing and easily graspable facts such as, if the entire mass of the earth were directly translated into a black hole, the black hole would be the size of a marble! How cool is that?!
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
The five ages of the universe lays out the different stages of development of the universe from the initial big bang, through the turning on of light, into the age of stars, and then what the authors propose will occur during the decline of the universe.
Brian Mathieu
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes physics/cosmology.
Shelves: cosmology, physics
One of the best cosmology books I've ever read. Most non-fiction and documentaries take you from the Big Bang up to the present. This book does that, and then takes you out to the end of the universe. The really weird and interesting stuff happens after our current era.
Hershel Shipman
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, physics
A lot of good parts but also a lot of stuff coming out of no where. Anything in here dealing with dark matter is complete speculation as we don't know what dark matter really is. So any mentions of it till we understand it are complete conjecture.
Daniel Duval
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
One day the physical universe will die in a dark cold empty nearly inconceivable expanse. Pretty frightening and depressing. Or they could be wrong but none the less it's trillions and trillions of years from now so there's still plenty of time to party.
Jeff
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: astronomy, cosmology
Shelves: science, astronomy
Very accessible and well-written introduction/overview of modern cosmology, with a distinct focus on how the universe developed from the distant past to the end of time. Definitely a book that stimulates "big picture" thinking.
Forn
This book gives a broad overview of different theories of the future of our universe. It contains a very good reference and further reading chapter.
Nicole
Aug 13, 2015 marked it as to-read
Stealth-reading this guy right now, but I really don't want to add it to "currently reading" because I'm already in the middle of too many books.
Stuart Brenton
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated in terms of available cosmological evidence, but very interesting - an updated version would be very welcome as an introduction to the physics underpinning modern cosmology.
Sharon
Nov 03, 2009 marked it as to-read
Very good so far. Interesting theories...
Lizzy
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great! I could't put this down.
Abd Alhmed
Jul 18, 2015
Richard Owen
Feb 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World
  • The Hole in the Universe
  • Wrinkles in Time
  • The Life of the Cosmos
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
  • The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos
  • The Anthropic Cosmological Principle
  • Tycho and Kepler: The Unlikely Partnership That Forever Changed Our Understanding of the Heavens
  • An Introduction to Black Holes, Information and the String Theory Revolution: The Holographic Universe
  • Einstein's Telescope: The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • The Stardust Revolution: The New Story of Our Origin in the Stars
  • A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down
  • Black Bodies and Quantum Cats: Tales from the Annals of Physics
  • Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos
  • How the Universe Got Its Spots: Diary of a Finite Time in a Finite Space
  • The Neptune File: A Story of Astronomical Rivalry and the Pioneers of Planet Hunting

Nonfiction Deals

• Hope and Other Luxuries: A Mother's Life with a Daughter's Anorexia
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Manic: A Memoir
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation