Start by marking “Every Time You Go Away” as Want to Read:

Every Time You Go Away

In New York Times bestselling author Beth Harbison's most emotional novel ever, a fractured family must come together at a beach house haunted by the past.

Willa has never fully recovered from the sudden death of her husband, Ben. She became an absent mother to her young son, Jamie, unable to comfort him while reeling from her own grief.

Now, years after Ben’s death, Willa
Paperback, Advance Uncorrected Proof, 293 pages
Published July 24th 2018 by St. Martin’s Press

To ask other readers questions about Every Time You Go Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Time You Go Away

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 emotional stars to Every Time You Go Away! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Every Time You Go Away has been well-loved by several of my reading buddies, and I did not want to miss out on this summer read!

Willa lost her husband, Ben, suddenly, and after, she was not the most available mother to Jamie, her son. The loss shut her down and closed her off to the world, and unfortunately, she has not been able to move through her grief.

Several years later she returns to the beach house where Ben passed away. The house has
Carrie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Every Time You Go Away seems to have two different book blurbs written for it and two different covers. I'm using the blurb and cover that match the advance copy of the book that I received and I truly hope this is the version that is published as the final copy as the story really did live up to their tag line of "a heartfelt, emotional story about healing a tragic loss, letting go, and coming together as a family".

The majority of the book is told from the prospective of Willa who is still grie
Zoe
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poignant, touching, and sweet!

Every Time You Go Away is a tender, moving novel that takes you on a journey into the life of Willa Bennett as she learns how to cope with unexpectedly losing the love of her life, enduring the heartache involved in acknowledging and accepting the loss, surviving the grief, healing as a family, and learning to live again.

The prose is heartfelt and immersive. The characters are lonely, scarred, and endearing. And the story is an absorbing tale about life, loss, love,
Stacey
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A family is torn apart by a sudden death. Ben has passed away at the family’s beach house and Willa is trying to deal with her grief while being a present parent to their son, Jamie. She is failing on both accounts. After a few years, Willa feels she has the strength to go to the beach house and get it ready to sell. To spend time there with her son would be unfathomable. While at the house, she feels Ben’s presence and then a little unstable when she thinks she sees him. She calls her good frie ...more
Stephanie (Stephanie's Novel Fiction)
 I was very happy that I chose to read Every Time You Go Away while at the beach since it proved to be just the sort of escape that I was looking for; Beth Harbison has written a sweet and touching yet not overly heavy read (until the last few pages that had me sobbing!) with her newest novel that is just perfect!

Willa Bennett, a young schoolteacher, lost the love of her life three years ago when her husband Ben suddenly died from a rare and unknown heart condition at the young age of 36 while a
Robyn
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Willa Bennett has been lost ever since her husband, Ben, passes away suddenly from an undetected heart condition while alone at their beach house. Willa used to believe in happily ever afters, but now she is lonely and has lost all hope of ever recovering enough to be the mother her son needs. Three years later, Willa has finally come to the realization that it was time for her to join life again and to reconnect with her son Jamie who is now seventeen years old. Willa decides it would be best t ...more
Every Time You Go Away seems to have two different book blurbs on goodreads. In one the main character is Jane and her husband cheated on her. In the one I read the main character is Willa and her husband had died of a heart attack three years ago. I'm pretty sure that this is the book that will be released on July 24th.

I was sort of expecting this book to be more romantic and light-hearted. I guess this book is Women's Fiction. The narrators are Willa (36 years old, 1st person POV) and her 17 y
Ann
Thank you to Goodreads Giveaways for the ARC.

Just noticed that the Goodreads description of this book has been corrected-yay!

I just read the Goodreads description of the book before I started writing this. Wow, I hope that description is wrong and that the published book comes out as the ARC I read. In the ARC, “Jane” is Willa and Ben was the love of her life and he didn’t cheat on her and they weren’t divorced when he died!

Anyway, I loved the book, loved the characters, got a little weepy at di
Mary
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet and touching, slightly supernatural love story. Shades of "Ghost"....Filled with witty dialog, great characters and descriptive settings. I could hear the hurdy gurdy sounds of the boardwalk, smell the fried food and salt air. The outcome came as no surprise, but it was a quick and entertaining read. thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC.
Linda Zagon
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Every Time You Go Away” by Beth Harbison is an emotional and intense novel. The Genres for this novel are Fiction, Women’s Fiction with a touch of Para-Normal. The timeline of the story is within three years of the present, and goes back to the past when it pertains to the characters or events in the story.

The author honestly describes some of her characters as depressed, lost, overwhelmed and conflicted. Willa, is a young widow with a teenage son Jamie. Their relationship is strained and dysfu
Shelli
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Chick-lit and romance lovers
Recommended to Shelli by: Goodreads Giveaways
Every Time You Go Away is a light, fluffy, sweet, and well-written beach read. Although it recycles the oft-repeated trope of "spirit of dead husband returns (in this case, literally – not just via posthumously-discovered letters or anything) and encourages grieving widow to move on", thankfully, neither the book nor the dead husband tried to shove some suddenly-appearing random guy onto Willa as the stand-in metaphor for "moving on".

The book also develops a number of secondary characters – Wi
Amber
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin’s Press for the free review copy.

Beth Harbison is one of my “comfort read” authors. I love everything she writes, I know what kind of a journey to expect, and I know I’m going to walk away from each book with a smile. Except I think she took things up a notch with this one. I was so completely invested in Willa and Jamie’s stories, and was truly sad to walk away from them. They’re characters I’ll be thinking about for a long time, and I love that.
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Three years ago Willa lost her husband Ben. Since his death, she hasn't been able to return to their beach house in Ocean City, MD. The main reason is because that was where he died. But now, something needs to be done with the house and Willa thinks the best thing to do is sell it. But being at the house has been quite interesting for Willa. She keeps seeing her husband Ben, and then she hears him loud and clear as if he is still there with her. Is she going crazy or is he really there? As she ...more
Lorrie
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, net-galley
Quick read. Recommended for anyone who liked “Ghost” with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. Thank you for the opportunity to read this ARC free of charge.
Jill McMillion
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is sappy and an easy read, but the best part is all the references to Ocean City, MD - my home away from home. ❤😎

Jen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
🏖Beach Read Alert! 🏖
I read this while at the beach with my kiddos and it was the perfect beach read! Its even set at the beach so it was the perfect reading locale. In Beth Harbison's newest, we meet Willa. Willa lost the love of her life suddenly and can't seem to recover. She's been trying to hold it all together at home and for her son Jamie, never going back to their beach house where he passed away. Now the time has come to clean it up and put it on the market, putting the past behind them
Linda
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and St Martin’s Press for an ARC copy of this book.

This was a very emotional book. Good from start to the very tearful ending. It pulled at my heartstrings so many times. The struggles of letting go and raising a teen all by yourself when you lose your spouse so unexpectedly. That is what happened to Willa and her son Jamie. Together they will be ok but first Willa has to learn to let go of Ben. After years of grieving she goes to sell their vacation home. It was where the
Letty
This was a very touching and emotional read. There was quite a bit of supernatural activity that I wasn't expecting, but I actually didn't mind it at all and felt it was very well done. It has been three years since Willa's husband Ben died of a heart attack in their beach house. In those three years she never went back to that beach house but finally decides it is time to go there and get it ready to put on the market. She goes there alone, her seventeen year old son Jamie refusing to go with h ...more
Linda Joplin
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars.

Three years ago, Willa's husband, Ben, died from a heart attack while at their beach house. Willa has not been back to the beach house, but knows she needs to sell it. So, leaving her teenage son, Jamie, at home, she heads to the beach house. Will she finds what she needs there to heal and move on? Upon first arriving, she feels a presence and knows that somehow Ben is there. Is she crazy, or is she really seeing him? Then Jamie arrives to help her prepare the house to sell. Is he fin
Celia
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every Time You Go Away is a story about a broken family that finds healing in the least likely place. It is about loss, love, friendship, and memories and letting go. Willa's and Jamie's stories touched me deeply, and I loved the setting in Ocean City, Maryland, where I used to spend a lot of time when I lived nearby. This is a good book that deserves a read.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are solely my own.
Teresa
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Willa lost the love of her life too early. Like most that are grieving, grief takes a hold of our hearts, minds, and souls, Beth Harbison writes a great book which takes you through the life of Willa after the loss of her husband, Ben. Their son, Jamie, has lost his dad and somewhat has lost his mother as she deals with the pain. For three years, Willa flounders along with Jamie. Now Willa has to deal with selling their beach house, their annual retreat spot, and also the place where Ben died al ...more
Sally Coles
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Willa's husband been dies she is devastated and feels unable to function without him, even though they have a son Jamie........Jamie feels like he has lost both of his parents, his mother is still there but not functioning! After a few years Willa decides that she wants to clear out the beach house and sell it as there are too many memories there and so she enlists the help of Jamie.... who really doesn't want to do it.... and her best friend Kristin and her daughter Kelsey..... but are the ...more
Pennie Morgan
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a refreshing story about second chances, friendship, reconnecting, living life, and healing after tragedy. Definitely recommend this one for a weekend when you can put your feet up and escape for a little while.

**Received this ARC for review from the publisher via NetGalley**
Diane Saul
Willa Bennett lost her husband Ben 3 years ago. He had gone to get their beach cottage ready for the summer and died unexpectedly in his sleep. Willa has just been going thru the motions since. She has decided to return to the beach to get the cottage ready to sell. While there she sees Bens ghost.

Willa and her son Jamie are each grieving in their own way, but they aren’t connecting with each other. This is a story about grief and learning to move on. It has a ghost which is not my favorite genr
Lori Boyd
4.5 Stars for this emotional read. Not sure I’d recommend it as a beach read, cause the ending had me ugly crying!

Emotional, heartfelt and relatable (to a point) read. Willa is still trying to recover from her husband’s death. To the point where her grief is affecting her relationship with their teenage son, Jamie. Fast forward to a visit to their beach house where Ben died...and he comes to visit with her.

I am a sucker for a good romantic, family read every now and then. Add a visit from beyo
Sandra
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never connected with Willa. I found her internal dialog tiring. The author's descriptions of the setting were enjoyable; I've spent time in Ocean City and she captured the beach vibe. I enjoyed the story from Jamie's point of view more than Willa's.
Shelleen Toland
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't go by the synopsis in Goodreads. story and character name is all wrong.

Now, years after Ben’s death, Willa finally decides to return to the beach house where he passed. It’s time to move on and put the Ocean City, Maryland house on the market.

While cleaning up and remodeling the ghost of Ben appears. It seems
Michelle Scalia
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an advance copy of this book for an honest review. This book is an eerie, haunting, emotional tale about a mom who is widowed and raising her son alone. When Willa arrives at the beach home where her husband died three years ago, her husband's ghost tries to help her to leave the past behind and start living. A gripping emotional novel about life and death, living, grieving,, and moving on. I loved this book.
Debbie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Beth Harbison

Beth Harbison’s latest, Every Time You Go Away is a love story and a modern day ghost story complete with a haunted house and a friendly spirit, a bit atypical for her usual light women’s fiction but its also very personal and that emotion is evident in every heartrending page. It’s about a family fractured by death, a mother and son who’re struggling to go on living without the man who meant the world to them. The dual POVs Willa’s 1st person and Jamie’s 3rd i
Book Binge
This book was a very emotional book and I was expecting emotion but not the drag me down in the pits of despair kind. I was expecting and really wanting a more romantic story where we see a lot of reflection and growth on Willa’s part but this wasn’t that kind of story and that bummed me out. Actually, it was that kind of story but it was a lot more Debbie Downer than I hoped.

So this story is told through Willa and her son Jamie’s POV’s and Willa’s part of the story is told in first person while

• Sailing Lessons
  • Out of Practice (Breakup Doctor #4)
  • The Last Chance Matinee (The Hudson Sisters #1)
  • A Peach of a Pair
  • Second Chances
  • Best Beach Ever (Ten Beach Road, #6)
  • California Summer
  • Condition Critical
  • Wallflower in Bloom
  • The Summertime Girls
  • Heating Up (Nugget, #7)
  • The Secret to Southern Charm (Peachtree Bluff #2)
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Thumb Index))
  • Her Kind of Trouble
  • On the Rocks
  • So Much a Part of You
  • A Mother Like Mine (Hartley-by-the-Sea, #3)
  • Then Comes Love (Then Comes Love, #1)
Beth Harbison grew up in Potomac, Maryland, in the shadow of Washington, D.C. Apart from the occasional irritation at being held up in traffic by a presidential motorcade, she has remained fairly uninvolved in the politics that define her home town. Her latest novel, ONE LESS PROBLEM WITHOUT YOU, comes out July 26, 2016.