Start by marking “Dreaming in Smoke” as Want to Read:
Dreaming in Smoke

Dreaming in Smoke

Kalypso Deed is a shotgun, riding the interface between the AI Ganesh and human scientists who solve problems through cyberassisted Dreams. But she's young and a little careless; she'd rather mix drinks and play jazz. Azamat Marcsson is a colorless statistician: middle-aged, boring, and obsessed with microorganisms. A first-class nonentity--until one of his Dreams implodes ...more
Published August 23rd 2018 by Orion (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming in Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming in Smoke

Jon
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winner of the 1999 Arthur C Clarke sci-fi award, Dreaming in Smoke is a good, but flawed book that doesn’t quite live up to it’s potential. The book starts out with an interesting premise: after a initial probe shows the distant planet of T’Nane having an atmosphere capable of supporting human life, a colony ship is dispatched with 50 colonists in suspension and a cargo of embryos to help seed a thriving colony. Unfortunately, when the ship arrives 50 years later, the colonists find that the pla ...more
S. Naomi Scott
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read, albeit one which requires a fair bit of work from the reader. It's a weird mix of cyberpunk meets colonial sci-fi meets social commentary, held together by some fantastic prose. Right from the first paragraph the writing comes across as a strongly jazz-influenced melange of images and ideas and perfectly sets the stage for what quickly becomes a confusing journey through an alien ecosphere, as seen through the eyes of our protagonist, Kalypso Deed.

The night Kalyps
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I'm.... confused.

25% of this was fascinating because cool science and technobabble about this alien luma substance and how will these people survive on this inhospitable planet... yeah, I liked that. The luma system was a great idea. (Think... sentient Solaris ocean mashed up with a coral reef ecology? It's a system, not an organism.)

Then like 25% was Kalypso, the protagonist, being a dumb lazy-ass. She has cultivated zero talents or skills, knows absolutely nothing helpful, and literally ZONES
Peter Tillman
Booklog notes from 1999: I wanted to like it more than I did. There's a good deal of half-baked cyberspace "dreaming" that I skimmed, and the setup is a bit pat & artificial. Still, it's well-written. I wasn't in a good mood to read it, maybe?

I'd forgotten it was a Clarke Award winner. Well, a weak one I think. Not a keeper.
Matt
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm not convinced on the merit of using a viewpoint character that is wilfully ignorant of pretty much everything going on around her.

There were some interesting ideas buried amongst the confusion, dream imagery and interminable sections where nothing much at all was happening.

My last visit for a while to the shelf of “books I have owned for years but never gotten around to”.
Kat
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Huge potential. Zero payoff.
Mar 31, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. I liked the main character and what I could gather about the story but the writing is not good enough to tempt me to engage my brain - and so the plot was clear as mud. I do suspect the plot might have been clear as mud even if I did engage my brain.
Rosalie
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fierce and brilliant, as ever.
Jane
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting combination of cyber SF and alien worlds. It drags at some points but it's refreshingly different from Gibson and most of the rest of the cyberpunk wordsmiths of the day.
Johnd
John Gair
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fools
  • Unquenchable Fire (Unquenchable Fire, #1)
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • Song of Time
  • Drowning Towers
  • Bold as Love (Bold as Love, #1)
  • Nova Swing (Empty Space Trilogy #2)
  • Fairyland
  • The Years Of The City
  • Banner of Souls
  • Beyond Apollo
  • The Calcutta Chromosome
Tricia Sullivan (born July 7, 1968 in New Jersey, U.S.) is a science fiction writer. She has also written fantasy under the pseudonym Valery Leith.

She moved to the United Kingdom in 1995. In 1999 she won the Arthur C. Clarke Award for her novel Dreaming in Smoke. Her novel Maul was also shortlisted for the same award in 2004.

Sullivan has studied music and karate. Her partner is the martial artist